Price of gasoline heading to 4 dollars. How is it affecting you?

DorothyFan1 07-06-2006 06:55 AM
Word on the street is eventually gasoline prices will soar past 3 dollars a gallon and move into the 4 dollar range. I'm wondering how does this increase affect your usage of the car and what if any changes will you be making?

Luckily for me...I live close to work...I can probably alternate between taking the bus or walking. I will probably have to cut back on non-essential usage of the car...like going to shopping malls, etc. I'll start buying my food locally near where I live.

As for going to the movies? I'll have to walk to my local theater. It's smaller and doesn't have as many choices of movies to see. I'll have to cut back on going to the movies now too. As for dating? Now that's really going to put a damper on my chances of getting a date. I won't be able to drive around to any of those places to "pick them up". It's either walk or take the bus to a date.

All of this is really depressing. Frown
BigOFan 07-06-2006 07:30 AM
The way I see it is Its already July, well into the summer holiday season and next month kids will be back in school. If gas prices were going up, they would have gone up by now..

Gas prices here in Houston have been pretty steady between the $2.80-$2.90/gallon range, without much change.

I depend on my car. I am a HS football/volleyball referee so I have to travel around to different area schools and I go to wally world (aka wal-mart) and target to buy clothes and stuff.

I feel sorry for those in the UK. Price of gas there is about double than what we pay here.
Diverse Considerations 07-06-2006 08:59 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BigOFan
I feel sorry for those in the UK. Price of gas there is about double than what we pay here.

But they have wicked cool public transportation systems the likes of which we could only dream about.

As for me, I guess I'm lucky to be living the grad school life. I bike or walk just about everywhere I have to go and only use the car to go home when it suits me or to go to the store for groceries.

But it's a shock every time I pull up to the pump, that's for sure.
BigOFan 07-06-2006 09:00 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Diverse Considerations

But they have wicked cool public transportation systems the likes of which we could only dream about.

Thats true.
Jonny Axehandle 07-06-2006 10:10 AM
It's a regional thing really. Here the price is going down and never really went over 3.10, but I heard that further south after Huricane Katrina (when everyone was panicing) the price hit $6.
paul1290 07-06-2006 10:12 AM
Option 1: Drive less

Option 2: Change your driving habits to conserve fuel.

Option 3: If all else fails, you can always get one of these:
Big Money 07-06-2006 10:15 AM
Yay for public transportation!

Even though its really ghetto around here. But the occasional drunken hobo fight can be amusing...
RoseRose 07-06-2006 11:25 AM
It's in the $2.70-3.10 range here. (Damn Cheveron, jacking up the prices). Isn't really affecting us. *shrug* I walk most places, and my boyfriend still drives an hour to get me to hang out for the weekends (no car... at least, for me.)
David Ryder 07-06-2006 11:29 AM
I walk most of the places I need to go. So yeah no problems for me.
Chitter-Box-Kat 07-06-2006 11:47 AM
My parents will get pissed as hell, but they'll buy the overpriced stuff anyway.
Revan 07-06-2006 11:59 AM
quote:

'Tis true, petrol and diesel prices are high, mainly because of the tax as far as I understand. I don't drive yet but will be learning in a few months.

Most people here do manage but complain a lot when it goes up.
But don't forget that a UK gallon is 1.2 US gallons.

I don't want to criticise too much but your cars are quite inefficient compared to European standards which doesn't help the problem.

quote:

It's not that good but it does the job I suppose....
pen1300 07-06-2006 05:43 PM
I'm going to say that they said it'd reach $4.00 before and I haven't run into that price. Pays to live in the middle of nowhere. Smile Sorta. It's the cities that'll see $4.00.

I finally had to get gas today and paid $2.79 and only got $20.00 worth. Last month the gas prices dropped to about $2.60 (It was awsome how the gas prices dropped like 10 cents in two days!), but I haven't seen that for a while either (and if my tank wasn't 3/4 empty, I would have waited for it to go down). It's also like $0.02 cheaper to get gas when I'm up at school, but I hardly use my car there (which is nice).

I know for a fact that if you head to Philly from where I'm at the gas prices will be over $3.00 by the time you get there. So, lesson there is that [major] cities dictate how high the price will be and the farther you go out, it seems to go down. That's how it seems to work here.

quote:

Oprah was all for buying one of those babies (and I am too), but I don't have the money to buy one and I just bought my car.

Later,
Pen1300
evanASF27 07-06-2006 06:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by paul1290
Option 1: Drive less

Option 2: Change your driving habits to conserve fuel.

Answer 1: pfffftt

Answer 2: Check

Answer 3: ROLFMA-- no. When they are less ugly I'll get one. Bring out the concept cars that actually LOOK good.

I'm awaiting the return of the Stanley Steamer and other steam-powered vehicles.

-- FAQs about steam-automotives
-- Stanley Steamer site
X Prime 07-06-2006 06:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Revan
I don't want to criticise too much but your cars are quite inefficient compared to European standards which doesn't help the problem..

You're forgetting that an increasing number of cars bought in America today are from Japanese companies... and I wouldn't be surprised if Japan has beaten you all in that area considering that they're an island chain and would feel resource shortage far more than Europeans.
Dark-0 07-06-2006 06:22 PM
Option #3 is both good and bad. Great mileage but whos wants a 100HP car that has no power? A Honda Accord hybid gets 30-40 MPG and has 250HP.

The best way to save gas is as follows. Don't use the a/c in the car that often that takes away about 5-10 HP away from the car plus 2-5 MPG away from what the car is usually doing. Hitting the gas off the line just let it roll. Tire pressures beleive it or not if too low can cause the car to eat more gas don't ask me how it does it and I am automechanic.

It's $3.19 here in NYC with some still in the $3.40's where I work. I love my Impreza 26 MPG with AWD.
Travis Bickle 07-06-2006 06:39 PM
$2.97 down here. I bike and board to a lot of places now, and eventually, when I move to NYC, I'll bike or take the subway instead of driving altogether. Take that, OPEC.
Hobodoken 07-06-2006 08:08 PM
I have to spend about a day's pay on gas every few weeks. It's... not that bad, since I'm working and all, and once I go to college, I shant even have a car.
X Prime 07-06-2006 08:43 PM
My eyesight prohibits me from driving, so gas prices aren't that much of a concern for me.
A Clockwork Tomato 07-06-2006 10:39 PM
It's not gasoine so much, it's jet fuel that's killing me. I fly from Oregon to San Francisco and back every Thursday (leave home a 3:45 AM, get back about 7:45 PM, which is tiring and is why I haven't posted in recent months), and the round-trip ticket price has risen by about $100.

My employer pays for it (which is pretty good for a Silicon Valley startup), but still ... pretty spendy.

I remember the original gas crisis in the Seventies, which actually wasn't anything very much, though people took it awfully seriously at the time.

As always, high gas prices are going to have the most impact on people who can barely afford to keep a used car on the road (like students), and will have little effect on people who can afford new cars. Car payments are a lot more expensive than gasoline, even at $4.00 a gallon.
Shaoblane 07-06-2006 10:46 PM
BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
!

It DOESNT! Cause I'm a city bus whore.

As a matter of fact, Portland has a few hybrid busses, and prices of passes and fare are GOING DOWN!

Besides, after two car accidents, God REALLY doesnt want me to drive. I dont like telling strangers about the accidents, they judge, so I tell them "I dont want to be no pollutant whore."