:: Nominations for Best Motion Picture ::

Nine Kuze 06-19-2006 02:03 PM
For the second Academy Animated Awards, I have a new category up called 'Best Motion Picture'. In this category, we get to nominate and vote for motion pictures that were released from November 2005 (that's when the first AAA started the offical voting) to movies that have been released now and up to when the next Animated Awards will start.

So say, if you wanted to nominate 'Brokeback Mountain' and 'Syriana' (which is exactly what I'm doing right now) for the category, that would fly because Brokeback came out in December and Syriana in November.

Anyway, this thread is for nominations for the Best Motion Picture so you can nominate and have discussion for them here. Thanks.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 06-25-2006 12:06 AM
Gonna have to second (or..whatever) syriana.
Nine Kuze 06-26-2006 07:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
Gonna have to second (or..whatever) syriana.

Thanks for the seconding of the nomination, Sharpie. So at the moment, for Best Motion Picture, there's Brokeback and Syriana.

I have a couple more nominees myself for the award and they are;
- King Kong
- Munich
- United 93
- Walk the Line
Peace.
Buck Buck #1 06-26-2006 08:05 PM
I'll second Walk the Line. I saw that in theaters I though it was one of the better movies I had seen in a while.
David Ryder 06-26-2006 09:39 PM
I'll second Walk the Line. Damn good film.
Patsai 06-29-2006 03:49 PM
Syriana I thought was way too boring, and Brokeback Mountain I refuse to watch for obvious reasons. Walk the Line was great, probably deserves Oscars, but I was pretty fond of Transporter 2, but that's just me. Big Grin
Nine Kuze 06-29-2006 05:08 PM
Cool, cool. Thanks for the replies. So, in the forefront we've got Syriana and Walk the Line, and other movies such as Brokeback Mountain, King Kong, Munich, and United 93.

Also, I wanted to nominate 'Memoirs of a Geisha' but I'm not entirely sure of the time last year of when it was first released. Would anybody happen to know of this?

quote:
Originally posted by Patsai
Brokeback Mountain I refuse to watch for obvious reasons.

Like what? Smile

Note: Disregard the smile icon, this is a serious question.
Peace.
pen1300 06-30-2006 10:21 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
Cool, cool. Thanks for the replies. So, in the forefront we've got Syriana and Walk the Line, and other movies such as Brokeback Mountain, King Kong, Munich, and United 93.

Also, I wanted to nominate 'Memoirs of a Geisha' but I'm not entirely sure of the time last year of when it was first released. Would anybody happen to know of this?

quote:

Like what? Smile

Note: Disregard the smile icon, this is a serious question.
Peace.

I second Memoirs of a Geisha! It came out December 2005 (Movie Poster) assuming that is for the acutal theatrical release and not the DVD (which I think came out two months ago?).

I'd like to suggest Cassanova (with Heath Ledger) but I don't know when that movie came out. I know it just came out onto DVD recently (in my world like two months or so).

Later,
Pen1300
Travis Bickle 06-30-2006 10:26 AM
THANK YOU FOR SMOKING
Big Money 06-30-2006 10:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
THANK YOU FOR SMOKING

Seconded?
Nine Kuze 06-30-2006 02:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by pen1300
quote:
Originally posted and updated by Nine XXVI
Cool, cool. Thanks for the replies. So, in the forefront we've got Memoirs of a Geisha, Syriana, Thank You For Smoking and Walk the Line, and other movies such as Brokeback Mountain, King Kong, Munich, and United 93.
Peace.

I second Memoirs of a Geisha! It came out December 2005 (Movie Poster) assuming that is for the acutal theatrical release and not the DVD (which I think came out two months ago?).

I'd like to suggest Cassanova (with Heath Ledger) but I don't know when that movie came out. I know it just came out onto DVD recently (in my world like two months or so).

Later,
Pen1300

Thanks for the backup, pen1300. So now we've got Memoirs of a Geisha, Thank You For Smoking, and Cassanova in the fold.

Thanks for replying everybody and keep those nominations coming!
Peace.
Patsai 06-30-2006 04:14 PM
quote:
quote:

Like what? Smile

Well according to my credible sources (a la my friends who were forced to watch it with their parents), they had nearly gouged their eyes out for what they saw. It's not so much about what the movie is about as opposed to what was actually happening on screen.

Most people who I've talked with have said it's got a very good and moving story, but they'd never watch it again for the graphic love scenes alone. Others wonder why the movie got Oscar nominations, and I suppose one good answer is it takes talent to do what those actors did...whatever that was... Big Grin
Mike 06-30-2006 04:19 PM
Brokeback Mountain would have been awesome if one of them was replaced with Scarlett Johansen. And if the other one was replaced with Charlize Theron.
Travis Bickle 06-30-2006 04:24 PM
Cassanova was terrible, and Memoirs of a Geisha was nowhere nearly as good as the book (in fact, it also kinda sucked)...methinks.

And yeah, same with Brokeback. Long, drawn out, boring movie.
pen1300 07-01-2006 08:09 PM
Tristan and Isolde. Big Grin Very well done movie, even if the ending is sad.

Later,
Pen1300
Patsai 07-07-2006 04:13 PM
Someone forget to mention Batman Begins. Big Grin
Nine Kuze 07-07-2006 04:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Brokeback Mountain would have been awesome if one of them was replaced with Scarlett Johansen. And if the other one was replaced with Charlize Theron.

See, then I would have been completely contempt with it winning Best Picture.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Like what? Smile

Well according to my credible sources (a la my friends who were forced to watch it with their parents), they had nearly gouged their eyes out for what they saw. It's not so much about what the movie is about as opposed to what was actually happening on screen.

Most people who I've talked with have said it's got a very good and moving story, but they'd never watch it again for the graphic love scenes alone. Others wonder why the movie got Oscar nominations, and I suppose one good answer is it takes talent to do what those actors did...whatever that was... Big Grin

Actually, if memory serves me right which is a long shot, you don't actually see anything when it comes to the inimate scenes. Its all in the dark. All you hear is the two moving around and... noises of them doing certain things. I think the most that is actually shown is them kissing and cuddling with each other, sometimes with no shirts on. So, its not like "OMG! I can actually see two men making love!1!1", its not shown and it gives you the chance to let your imagination run with it and it seems like people have for better or worse.

EDIT:
quote:
Someone forgot to mention Batman Begins

Patsai my man, there's actually a problem with that nomination; See while Batman Begins was a damn good movie, was released in the summer of 2005, before the interval of time allowed for the nominations of these movies (You can see the my first post as well). The movies nominated had to have been (or will have been in future tense) released at the time of November 2005.

So unfortunately, Batman Begins doesn't qualify. Sorry, my man.
Peace.
Nine Kuze 07-19-2006 04:43 PM
For Best Motion Picture, I'm going to nominate A Scanner Darkly.
Peace.
Travis Bickle 07-19-2006 05:57 PM
quote:
For Best Motion Picture, I'm going to nominate A Scanner Darkly.
Peace.

Seconded ^ Infinity.
Nine Kuze 04-07-2007 05:06 AM
To put it simply, I need some closure.

You see, for the AAA's (the Academy Animated Awards) the newest category was Best Motion Picture where the award is given to the best motion picture by the members of PCF that were released between August of the current year and August of the next year.

Basically, since there's only one winner so far for Best Motion Picture (last year's winner, Walk the Line), I'd like to give the 2005 version a winner as well. In a way of making things complete I guess.

So, I came up with a list of the most top and memorable films that would have have been qualified to be nominees for the 2005 running. From Ray to Napoleon Dynamite to Che to Shrek and from Batman to Jesus Christ to Spider-Man to Howard Hughes as well. Its like the same routine (and I'll be bugging you about that in the next coming months for the 2007 nominees), since there are four candidates for nominations, simply pick your four best from these films and the most recognized films from there will be nominated. And then finally a poll will be put up so you can vote for the 2005 Best Motion Picture. It's two years late... I know.

Anyway, if you could participate and help I'd really appreciate it as always. And below, are the list of qualified films from August 2004 - August 2005. If you have any questions, feel free to give me a holla.

• 2046: Directed by Kar Wai Wong; starring Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Ziyi Zhang, Gong Li
  • The Aviator: Directed by Martin Scorsese; starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Cate Blanchett, Kate Beckinsale
  • Batman Begins: Directed by Christopher Nolan; starring Christian Bale, Liam Neeson, Michael Caine
  • Capote: Directed by Bennett Miller; starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Catherine Keener, Clifton Powell Jr.
  • Cinderella Man: Directed by Ron Howard; starring Russell Crowe, Renee Zellweger, Paul Giamatti
  • Closer: Directed by Mike Nichols; starring Julia Roberts, Clive Owen, Natalie Portman
  • Collateral: Directed by Michael Mann; starring Jamie Foxx, Tom Cruise, Jada Pinkett Smith
  • The Constant Gardener: Directed by Fernando Meirelles; starring Rachel Weisz, Ralph Fiennes, Danny Huston
  • Constantine: Directed by Francis Lawrence; starring Keanu Reeves, Rachel Weisz, Tilda Swinton
  • Crash: Directed by Paul Haggis; starring Don Cheadle, Sandra Bullock, Matt Dillion
  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: Directed by Michael Gandry, Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Elijah Wood
  • Fahrenheit 9/11: Directed by Michael Moore
  • Finding Neverland: Directed by Marc Foster; starring Johnny Depp, Kate Winslet, Julie Christie
  • Garden State: Directed by Zach Braff; starring Natalie Portman, Peter Sarsgaard, Jean Smart
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: Directed by Alfonso Cuaron; starring Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint
  • Hero: Directed by Zhang Yimou; starring Jet Li, Maggie Cheung, Tony Leung Chiu Wai
  • Hotel Rwanda: Directed by Terry George; starring Don Cheadle, Sophie Okonedo, Nick Nolte
  • House of Flying Daggers: Directed by Zhang Yimou; starring Ziyi Zhang, Andy Lau, Dandon Song
  • Kinsey: Directed by Bill Condon; starring Liam Neeson, Laura Linney, Peter Sarsgaard
  • Kung Fu Hustle: Directed by Stephen Chow; starring Karin Anna Cheung, Siu-Lung Leung, Qiu Yuen
  • Layer Cake: Directed by Matthew Vaughn, Daniel Craig, George Harris, Colm Meaney
  • Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Series: Directed by Brad Silberling; starring Jim Carrey, Liam Aiken, Emily Browning
  • The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou: Directed by Wes Anderson; starring Bill Murray, Cate Blanchett, Owen Wilson
  • The Machinist: Directed by Brad Anderson; starring Christian Bale, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Michael Ironside
  • Maria Full of Grace: Directed by Joshua Martson; starring Catalina Sandino Moreno, Virginia Ariza, Yenny Paola Vega
  • Million Dollar Baby: Directed by Clint Eastwood; starring Hilary Swank, Morgan Freeman, Anthony Mackie
  • The Motorcycle Diaries: Directed by Walter Salles; starring Gael Garcia Bernal, Rodrigo De la Serna, Mercedes Moran
  • Napoleon Dynamite: Directed by Jared Hess; starring Jon Heder, Aaron Ruell, Efren Ramirez
  • The Notebook: Directed by Nick Cassavetes; starring Ryan Gosling, Rachel McAdams, James Garner
  • Passion of the Christ: Directed by Mel Gibson; starring James Caviezel, Monica Bellucci, Maia Morgenstein
  • Phantom of the Opera: Directed by Joel Schumacher; starring Emmy Rossum, Gerard Butler, Patrick Wilson
  • Ray: Directed by Taylor Hackford; starring Jamie Foxx, Kerry Washington, Regina King
  • The Sea Inside: Directed by Alejandro Amenabor, Javier Bardem, Belen Rueda, Lola Duenas
  • Sideways: Directed by Alexander Payne; starring Paul Giamatti, Thomas Haden Church, Virginia Madsen
  • Sin City: Directed by Robert Rodriguez; starring Mickey Rourke, Clive Owen, Rosario Dawson
  • Spider-Man 2: Directed by Sam Raimi; starring Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, Alfred Molina
  • Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith: Directed by George Lucas; starring Ewan McGregor, Hayden Christensen, Natalie Portman
  • Troy: Directed by Wolfgang Petersen; starring Brad Pitt, Eric Bana, Diane Kruger

Peace.