[Comment] Back Up Your Posts (and Send Us Your Daughters)

Travis Bickle 06-19-2006 01:42 AM
7 completly unbiased posts that I've made within the past two weeks have been deleted, and they don't go against ANY of the rules or general form ettiquite. Several others have been edited (though one made a small comment about inactivity on the forums that might have hit too close to home).

After a few PMs, nothing has been done about this.

I'm not going to point fingers, but I think Pen1300 is mostly responsible due to the fact that she doesn't like me for:

A) Saying bad things about Greek Life

and

B) Proving her wrong about an error she made in modding in an old Saxaphone thread.

For these reasons (and possibly others), she's holding a grudge against me and deleting posts that may be viewed as "not needed." This has to stop by her manning up to it.

I'm getting a warning for this. Whatever. This place has no life anymore.
X Prime 06-19-2006 01:57 AM
I can't really comment without knowing what exactly was deleted, but honestly if this happened there should be a good explanation, as it doesn't look like there was any notification, which basically implies some form of subterfuge derived from knowing that the modding action being spoken of is questionable.

By 'knowing exactly was deleted', I basically mean full text if humanly possible.
Travis Bickle 06-19-2006 01:59 AM
The good explanation is that I am naturally antagonistic and I am a complete douchebag/asshole. Because of this and past episodes of me being me, I am treated by the staff and mods of this site as one. Rightfully so...but to a certain degree.

I also have gone completly batshit loco, but that's besides the point.
X Prime 06-19-2006 02:02 AM
That really shouldn't apply to individual posts though.

I mean by this logic if a good samaritan went nuts and firebombed (as in massively flamed) several people, he could reasonably avoid getting punished by pointing out his otherwise good past. Which doesn't really make sense... if there was really nothing wrong with the pots in question, nothing should have been done, whereas the opposite of course applies.

Of course, I'm speaking in general terms.
Travis Bickle 06-19-2006 02:06 AM
I don't back up my posts by any means. I don't take this place seriously other than checking it every 6 seconds (If the logs are looked at, I'm probably the most frequent visitor).

I had posts in a few game threads, the RANDOM THOUGHTS thread, and the 666 thread. They were there for about a day (not even) and then were gone. Nothing wrong was said by me. Things were done out of spite and the like and nothing will be done because of my "past offenses" or something.

Somebody should own up to it before the blame is thrown. Meaning Pen1300 should make a public apology.
Krang 06-19-2006 02:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
7 completly unbiased posts that I've made within the past two weeks have been deleted, and they don't go against ANY of the rules or general form ettiquite. Several others have been edited (though one made a small comment about inactivity on the forums that might have hit too close to home).

I don't think it was necessary to start a thread about this issue since it easily could have been dealt with in private, but oh well... Anyway, I was the one who made the edit that you're referring to. It wasn't because the comment "hit too close to home," it was because the comment was rude to the thread starter. I may have deleted one of your posts in the duration you mentioned, but certainly not 7. That would mean that one or more of the mods deleted those posts, but I'm sure they had a good reason to. For example, I don't remember how many of your posts it contained, but one of your threads was most likely deleted because it served little purpose besides mocking another member's thread (if you don't think there's anything wrong with that, see Rule #2), so I completely agree with that decision.

quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
I mean by this logic if a good samaritan went nuts and firebombed (as in massively flamed) several people, he could reasonably avoid getting punished by pointing out his otherwise good past. Which doesn't really make sense...

That's not how things work around here. That sort of thing has happened more than once at our other forums, and people got warned/banned for doing that regardless of their past history.
X Prime 06-19-2006 03:21 AM
Judging from Piano Black's practically instant execution over Invisible Hand despite generally being on good behavior, that does seem to be the case...

Might I recommend that you mandate some kind of notification after moderation so that this kind of response to it doesn't happen again? I mean to a certain point I can see why (what was apparently) stealth editing could be upsetting as it's not really productive in explaining what was wrong in the first place.
Krang 06-19-2006 03:55 AM
When I edit a post, I almost always leave a note that explains my reason (although it looks like I forgot to do that for Cerpin Taxt's post), and I do notify the thread starter when I delete a thread. Deleting posts is a little different since it's not as big of a change as deleting a thread and since there is no easy place to leave a note, so I typically leave it up to the members to contact me if they are curious why a post was deleted (which they are always welcome to do). If a member posts something else that breaks the same rule as the first post I deleted, though, I do send a PM for that also.

I could send PMs each time I delete a post, but it is almost always obvious why the post was deleted to anyone who is familiar with the rules, and most members would probably be more annoyed if I did send one than if I didn't. I guess it would work out best if there were some sort of opt-in notification about deleted posts, but setting that up would be more trouble than it's worth...
Travis Bickle 06-19-2006 10:27 AM
I'm saying that there are several posts that were deleted where I did nothing but join in on the conversation. I know the difference between right and wrong (vaguely). However, these were completly unbiased, unopinionated posts.

All I'm asking for is a little justice or something.
Krang 06-19-2006 12:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
I'm saying that there are several posts that were deleted where I did nothing but join in on the conversation. I know the difference between right and wrong (vaguely). However, these were completly unbiased, unopinionated posts.

All I'm asking for is a little justice or something.

If you wanted a surefire response, you should have sent a PM to the mod(s) in question, which is what I suggested when you originally mentioned it to me. By posting it here, there's no guarantee that they will even read it.
Travis Bickle 06-19-2006 12:42 PM
I DID send a PM to the mod in question, if I remember correctly. Just like every PM I sent to her in the past, none of them were responded to.
Krang 06-19-2006 10:14 PM
Did you check the Message Tracking to see whether or not she read it?
Travis Bickle 06-19-2006 10:27 PM
I actually sent it via "REPORT THIS TO A MOD" in the same exact thread (Random Posts Thread), figuring that it would be checked faster than a PM. So no.
Krang 06-19-2006 10:39 PM
That doesn't send a PM, it sends an email with no return address, which makes it difficult to keep track of and reply to. And since it is an email, there's also the chance that it can be accidentally caught by spam filters. The report feature is really meant as a last resort if there is a problem on the forums when no mods appear to be online.
pen1300 06-20-2006 02:12 PM
Hello,

I apologize if you are offended by posts being deleted but there are reasons to the two instances you talked about. The "Random Thoughts" thread turned into some discussions and if I remember correctly, the point of the game was to just type whatever you were thinking into the thread at that precise moment (slightly different than "First Thought that Pops into your head") and I saw carrying a discussion on pets (which I apologize, I could have cut out and made the decision not too, next time I will), did not match the rules so I cleaned it out. To be frank, I don't think I'm the only one checking on Dale's Bar.

The second instance, I found that a few members were insulting another (and I apologize that I didn't handle that situation the way I should have). More than one member's posts were deleted in the thread I'm referencing too. The rule backing me was Rule# 2 and I don't know why I didn't say that. So I apologize for not being clear there.

Those are the most recent incidents that I know of and you mentioned.
-----------------------
My E-mail...

My e-mail account was frozen recently because I didn't access it (it's not my main account) and there was a period of time I had to chose my new job and school work over coming to the forums. I have recently reactivated the e-mail account and have been checking it (and have returned to the forums). I've lost everything that was there.

For future reference, PM is a much faster and easier way to get in touch with me for any questions. I have the pop up window (so most of the time, I see it when I log in). Plus, with the e-mail thing, I'd just send a PM to you anyway. Sometimes, I miss PMs and when I finally get them, a considerable amount of time has passed, so I don't think to reply to them because of the amount of time that has passed. This has happened only a few times.
------------------------
quote:
Originally Posted by Krang
When I edit a post, I almost always leave a note that explains my reason (although it looks like I forgot to do that for Cerpin Taxt's post), and I do notify the thread starter when I delete a thread. Deleting posts is a little different since it's not as big of a change as deleting a thread and since there is no easy place to leave a note, so I typically leave it up to the members to contact me if they are curious why a post was deleted (which they are always welcome to do). If a member posts something else that breaks the same rule as the first post I deleted, though, I do send a PM for that also.

This is my basically policy too. I really leave it up to the member to contact me if something is not clear. Some do, some don't. Most of the time, I think the member understands why the deletion was made.
------------------------
I tried my best to explain everything that I could in the best way possible. If I forgot anything, please PM me because I feel this is something Krang, you, and I should discuss off the board (through PMs, for example).

I apologize that you feel that I am holding a grudge against you, but I am not. I find your opinions to be insightful, even if they go against my own.

Thank you,
Pen1300
Travis Bickle 06-20-2006 11:20 PM
Everything in the RANDOM THOUGHTS THREAD always breaks into seperate mini discussions for a brief period of time. So...yeah.

But so is life. EVERYBODY WINS
Krang 06-21-2006 12:57 AM
In the end, it doesn't really matter whether or not posts in Dale's Bar are deleted since all of them will eventually end up gone anyway as the threads are cleaned up. In fact, I'm working on cleaning up a few of them right now. See this thread for more information.