Favorite Mario (or Related) Game?

Shredder 06-11-2006 02:14 AM
Just for something to discuss, what's your favorite Mario-related game? Although I've played it through before on the SNES, I recently bought Yoshi's Island for the GBA and am again reminded of how much I love this game. I can't wait for the long-awaited DS sequel...it can't come out soon enough!

So I guess I'd say something like:

Top 3 Favorites (in order)

-Yoshi's Island (SNES/GBA)
-Super Mario World (SNES/GBA)
-Mario 64 (N64/DS)

Other "runners up":

-Mario 3 (NES/GBA)
-Mario Party series (N64/GC)
-Yoshi Topsy-Turvy (GBA - I just like Yoshi games, I guess)

I also haven't played the new DS Mario Bros. game yet, but I hope to soon. I know I'm forgetting more, but that's pretty much a few of the main ones for me. Smile
The Big Finale 06-11-2006 03:14 AM
Oh yes-yes-yes. I definitely appreciate this thread.

My all-time number-one would have to be, I think, the original Paper Mario, with the great story and nice-looking graphics. The only other RPG I've ever gotten so much enjoyment out of playing is Earthbound. I haven't had a go at The Thousand-Year Door yet, but I intend to, and the same for Super Paper Mario.

Beyond that, though, it's really hard to pick. I honestly can't think of many games in the series that I DON'T like. In the end, though, Super Mario 64 would probably take second, while Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga nabs third.

Runners up are Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country 3 (you DID say "Mario-related", though if this is too much of a stretch, switch it out for Super Smash Bros. Melee), and Super Mario Bros. 2
Zopwx2 06-11-2006 08:14 AM
SUPER MARIO WORLD
Greatest game ever made.
Wazpy 06-11-2006 08:36 AM
What? Nobody is going to say Super Princess Peach? It's soooo cool! You get to use PMS Rage and everything!

Actually, I beat that game and in the end they treated me to some text for little girls. "What's that? You say your dad got mad at you the other day?... Your mom has been really happy lately?... Maybe the Vibe Wand is somewhere in your house!"
Travis Bickle 06-11-2006 09:26 AM
Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES is one of the greatest games of all time. The version for the GBA was as good.
Buck Buck #1 06-11-2006 12:30 PM
Paper Mario is definately number one. Then maybe Mario 3, then Luigi's Mansion.
Dude Love 06-11-2006 12:55 PM
Either Super Mario Bros. 3 or MarioKart 64 (Heh, I love playing other people in this game...)
The Fallen Phoenix 06-11-2006 01:03 PM
Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG (Legend of the Seven Stars), and Mario Kart 64 would probably be my four favorites.
Sir Nise 06-11-2006 01:05 PM
I like mario 64 and Tetris attack if that counts.
Big Money 06-11-2006 03:25 PM
Yoshi's island is my favorite. I also enjoy Tetris Attack and Super Mario World. Double dash and Mario Kart DS are awesome too, and I think I might be one of the few who liked Sunshine...
The Big Finale 06-11-2006 04:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Big Money
I think I might be one of the few who liked Sunshine...

I liked it too, for what it's worth. Even though I prefer the Koopalings, Bowser Jr. wasn't all that bad ("I'M your mama?") and Shadow Mario was a reasonably cool idea.
Mike 06-11-2006 04:13 PM
Absolutely, without a doubt, 100% has to be Super Mario Bros. 3. That is the single greatest video game of all time and shall be for the remainder of eternity. But Mario 64 is also amazing. I liked Sunshine but for some reason it didn't hit you in the face with a cinderblock of pwn as much as Mario 64 did.

Mario Kart 64 also is good. Especially when you purple-shell your buddies into 4th place.
David Ryder 06-11-2006 05:33 PM
1. Super Mario Bros. 3 (It's good anytime it's released)
2. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Yes, I actually like this game, it brought a fresh and new take on Mario, that had a huge Influence on the Mario franchise, weather fanboys like to admit it or not.)
3. Super Mario World ( Good stuff)

Others

1. Super Mario RPG ( loved this game, also had some zanny music)

Edit: Super Mario Bros. 2 is an american made game. It is a remake of the japan only game "Doki Doki Panic". SM 2 added many new things such as the ablilty to back track, play as more than just mario, and the impact the enemys had on the rest of the games is quite evident, such as Shy Guys, Birdo, and Snifits among others. I could go on and on about SM 2 but wiki covers it quite nice.
Big Money 06-11-2006 05:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
1. Super Mario RPG ( loved this game, also had some zanny music)

This is very true. The game was of extroadinarily high quality, and Bowser joined your party.

I'm ashamed to have left it off my list.
Mike 06-11-2006 06:02 PM
Yeah, Mario RPG is really good. I especially like the parade at the end. And Bowser's unending badassness.
Generalissimo D 06-11-2006 06:43 PM
1. Super Mario Bros. 3
2. Super Mario World (First video game I ever owned)
3. Mario Kart Double Dash.
4. Super Mario RPG

I've never played any of the Paper games..
Buck Buck #1 06-11-2006 09:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
2. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Yes, I actually like this game, it brought a fresh and new take on Mario, that had a huge Influence on the Mario franchise, weather fanboys like to admit it or not.)

I completely forgot about that one. I used to play that whenever I went to my cousins house. I'd always either be Toad or Luigi.
seraphjei 06-11-2006 09:55 PM
Super Smash Brothers.
Krang 06-12-2006 11:20 PM
My 5 favorite Mario-related games (in no particular order) are Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, New Super Mario Bros., Tetris Attack, and Donkey Kong (the original). I also enjoy Super Mario 64, Super Mario Bros. 1 & 2, Super Mario Sunshine, the Mario Party series, the Super Smash Bros. series, some of the Mario sports games, WarioWare, and Mario vs. Donkey Kong.
Generalissimo D 06-12-2006 11:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
New Super Mario Bros..

That game is made of old school fun and win.

It takes from SMB3 and SMW, and mixes it up with new graphics for sheer joy.