Nine's Official ECW Thread

Nine Kuze 06-06-2006 04:27 PM
:: ECW's Main Page ::

In correlation with the WWE thread, I thought this would be a good thread for not only wrestling fans but more specifically, the ECW fans here in Paradigm City.

If you've been watching and keeping up with wrestling for the past couple of months, then you would know that ECW is making a comeback. As the third brand of the WWE (along with RAW and Smack Down!), ECW is going to be airing on the Sci-Fi Channell (weird, right?) and its roster comprises of former ECW from days long past, such as RVD, Sabu, the Sandman, Terry Funk, and new stars such as Kurt Angle.

Also, along with ECW coming back full-time on the air, ECW is also having a pay-per-view event this Sunday called "One Night Stand" at New York City, New York. The matches for the event are:

- WWE Championship: John Cena (C) vs. RVD
- World Heavyweight Championship: Rey Mysterio (C) vs. Sabu
- Randy Orton (WWE) vs. Kurt Angle (ECW)
- Edge/Mick Foley (WWE) vs. Terry Funk/Tommy Dreamer (ECW)
- Tazz (ECW) vs. Jerry Lawler (WWE)

Also, there's a special event called "ECW vs. WWE" this Wednesday, with a 20 man Battle Royal (10 WWE, 10 ECW), Mysterio vs. RVD, and Cena vs. Sabu.

So far, that's how ECW is going at the moment and this thread is for ECW discussion and for ECW fans of PCF.

So, let the bodies hit the floor!
Peace.
Travis Bickle 06-06-2006 05:10 PM
It's not really ECW. It's more like WWE under the ECW name. Kind of a bastardization, since I used to watch ECW and like it more than WWE. I even went to some ECW shows back in the days when they came to my home town.
Nine Kuze 06-06-2006 05:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
It's not really ECW. It's more like WWE under the ECW name. Kind of a bastardization, since I used to watch ECW and like it more than WWE. I even went to some ECW shows back in the days when they came to my home town.

Um... that's actually true to a certain degree. Yeah, same here as I used to watch ECW a lot and it was a nice change of pace from WWE. Although, look at the positive, ECW is back, the wrestlers from the old are back, Paul Heyman and Tommy Dreamer have majority control within the ECW brand, and they're going to bring back the extreme wrestling that made ECW so damn good (Well, bring it back as far as the WWE let's them. So as far as a bastardization goes CT, I guess you're right in that department).

Hell, at least its not WCW.
Peace.
David Ryder 06-06-2006 05:58 PM
Well as long as it's decent I'll watch it.

quote:
WWE Championship: John Cena (C) vs. RVD

Boy wonder who's going to win that match up.
Travis Bickle 06-06-2006 08:43 PM
They don't have Raven, New Jack, the Dudleys, Justin Credible or Mike Awesome. But whatever. It'll probably end up cool.
Mr. Fortnight 06-07-2006 01:17 AM
I don't think the WWE should try to make the new ECW like the old. You just can't bottle something like that up and open it when you need it. It just has to happen at the right place at the right time.

If the WWE wants ECW to be sucessful, it needs to be a valid alternative to the usual WWE product. You don't need flaming tables or barb wire bats. What you need is something that works from square 1. The new ECW should be approached as if it was a clean slate. What is put on that slate will matter in the future.

I'm looking foreward to seeing it since I saw some of the old ECW stuff recently. I'm exicited that the WWE is taking the steps to diversify, but McMahon is notorious for failing in "diversifying" his market coverage.

Look at the XFL and the World Bodybuilding Federation.

Addendum...

Cerpin, if you want to see Raven, he's on TNA. As for New Jack... do a search for "The Mass Transit Incident" on You Tube or Google Video. That is why you won't see New Jack in the new ECW. He's too dangerous. As for Justin Credible, I really don't know where he dissapeared. I actually heard he's dead myself, but I might be wrong. Mike Awesome? I think you can find better wrestlers than him.
Nine Kuze 06-08-2006 05:24 PM
quote:
They don't have Raven, New Jack, the Dudleys, Justin Credible or Mike Awesome. But whatever. It'll probably end up cool.

True, they don't have Raven and the Dudleys (TNA) but they do have Justin Credible (he was just signed) and New Jack. Not sure about Mike Awesome though.

Anyway, they had the special WWE vs. ECW event last night. It was alright, not too bad but that great as well. Anyway, here are some photos from the event:

World Heavyweight Champion Rey Mysterio vs. Rob Van Dam. RVD won.

The 10 WWE members in the 20 Man Battle Royal.

ECW member, Big Show. Actually, this was one of the best parts of the show. What happened was it came down to five guys, Edge/Orton/Finlay/and Big Show for WWE and Angle for ECW. Angle eliminated Finlay and Edge then from behind, Orton eliminated Angle. It looked like WWE won, then behind Orton, Big Show ripped off his RAW shirt and revealed an ECW shirt. Show then eliminated Orton and won the battle royal for ECW. It was a pretty damn good sequence.

Tommy Dreamer vs. Edge

Tommy Dreamer vs. Edge. With help from Lita, Edge won the match And Terry Funk and Mick Foley were there as well.

Terry Funk and some good ol' barbwire.

John Cena vs. Sabu.

Also at the event, Mickie James and Jazz fought (Jazz won) and Jerry Lawler and Tazz fought as well, even though it wasn't a match. The two announcers were just tired of each other and fought right there. Tazz pretty had the advantage which is a good thing, because I really loathe Lawler.

quote:
Originally by Allenby Beardsley
If the WWE wants ECW to be sucessful, it needs to be a valid alternative to the usual WWE product. You don't need flaming tables or barb wire bats. What you need is something that works from square 1. The new ECW should be approached as if it was a clean slate.

I agree with your statement, Allenby. And even though the event went not too bad for ECW's sake, I'm still worried with it being under the direction of WWE. Because Vince and the WWE have a long history of screwing other companies and wrestlers and ruining other products. But some of the wrestlers with the ECW aren't worried and think that the WWE will, more or less, let them do their thing. I hope so and I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Also, I've heard news that the ECW/Sci-Fi contract is only from 12 weeks. I guess its trial run to see if WWE can make any profit from ECW, and if they can, they'll try and move it to USA for a full-time run. Just some news I wanted to run by you guys.
Peace.
Peace.
David Ryder 06-08-2006 06:44 PM
quote:
RVD won.

Glad to hear that, as I loathe Rey Mysterio. Always hated Mysterio, never got the appeal of him.

quote:
John Cena vs. Sabu.

Who won that match? Although I'm pretty sure it was Cena.
Mr. Fortnight 06-10-2006 12:20 AM
I have to eat my words. Just when I thought Justin Credible was gone, there he was on my TV at the WWE vs ECW matches last Wednesday. :p

Oh well. At least Mick Foley cut a darn good promo for his match on Sunday, and Terry Funk had an awesome rebuttal (recorded as a WWE Exclusive in the ECW website) online.

Indeed, let the bodys hit the floor.
Travis Bickle 06-10-2006 09:23 AM
I'm going to One Night Stand on Sunday, so hopefully it'll kick ass. That, and I hope Dean Malenko is there.
X Prime 06-10-2006 05:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
quote:
RVD won.

Glad to hear that, as I loathe Rey Mysterio. Always hated Mysterio, never got the appeal of him.

Mysterio was at his best wayyy back in WCW when he, Chris Jericho, and Dean Malenko were all going for the Cruiserweight belt... but that quickly went downhill.
Travis Bickle 06-11-2006 08:26 PM
Obviously, I'm not at ECW One Night Stand because of a stupid reason. Oh well.

I'm watching it on TV.
Nine Kuze 06-12-2006 06:02 PM

Enough said.

Actually, even though RVD won the WWE Championship at One Night Stand (or the ECW Championship!), there seems to be some controversy because Paul Heyman made the count for RVD to win and Edge attacked Cena before RVD hit his finishing move to get the pinfall on Cena. So, right now even though he's the champion, there seems to be alot going on involving that match and the WWE Championship. But still, RVD won the WWE (or ECW) Title.

Also, I thought this was kickass:

quote:
Obviously, I'm not at ECW One Night Stand because of a stupid reason. Oh well.

You didn't go? What happened, man?

quote:
Originally by X Prime
Mysterio was at his best wayyy back in WCW when he, Chris Jericho, and Dean Malenko were all going for the Cruiserweight belt... but that quickly went downhill.

That's because it was WCW, man, which was terribly managed.

Supposedly, what I'm hearing is that RVD is going to lose the title soon in a match. Either on a RAW show, an ECW live event show, or maybe at Vengeance where right now, RVD would put the title on the line against Edge.
Peace.
David Ryder 06-12-2006 06:20 PM
quote:
That's because it was WCW, man, which was terribly managed

Glad to know I'm not the only one that thought WCW was awful. "Hey Goldberg, ok your opponent is this unknown guy. Make the fight last and try to use more than 2 moves."

Also that anti-cena sign is great.

Also i'm scoping WWE now, what's with that kain imposter guy?
Travis Bickle 06-14-2006 08:37 PM
What was on Sci Fi last night was not at all ECW. It was pure, unlibricated rape of a familiar brand and overexpansion.
Mr. Fortnight 06-15-2006 03:13 AM
I'm going to have to give this a couple more episodes before I place my verdict. I see some of ECW in it, but there was a lot of awkwardness to it. Maybe it was first-night jitters, or perhaps the fact that the crowd was flat because ECW and Smackdown share the same arena, and the Smackdown crowd is like the RAW crowd, anti-ECW.

But again, I'm willing to give it a couple more chances. I just didn't get enough from an hour's production to even get a full first impression.

That, and too many commercial breaks.
Nine Kuze 06-15-2006 04:35 PM
quote:
What was on Sci Fi last night was not at all ECW. It was pure, unlibricated rape of a familiar brand and overexpansion.

CT, calm down! Was it a good first showing? No, not really. But I agree with Allenby. I'm willing to give ECW a couple more shows before I feel like giving up on it but I'm still glad that ECW (in some form or another) is back.

quote:
I see some of ECW in it, but there was a lot of awkwardness to it. Maybe it was first-night jitters

That's what I observed too. Hopefully, it will get better along the way with more wrestlers, some titles, and some actual ECW of days long past. But they only have 12 weeks so hopefully they can get there act up by then.

quote:
Also i'm scoping WWE now, what's with that kain imposter guy?

Gaddes please! This is the ECW thread, not the WWE thread. If you have something to say about WWE, take it up in that thread.

And besides, I think he's name is 'Freakin' Deacon' from a minor wrestling brand like Ohio Valley Wrestling. WWE brought him up to feud with Kane, something they've been trying to do for a while now.

Again, let's keep WWE and ECW separate. Thanks.
Peace.
Shredder 06-15-2006 09:56 PM
I enjoyed the PPV, but am also disappointed (so far) in the new show on Sci Fi. It just seemed to me that they didn't put much effort into it, which is surprising, considering how hyped this premiere was and how good (at least I thought) One Night Stand was. I agree that it deserves a second chance and will check it out again next week, though. I was looking forward to watching this, so I hope they do what they can to improve it. And no more zombies. Please.
David Ryder 06-15-2006 11:02 PM
quote:
This is the ECW thread

Aye. sorry about that. must have posted that when I was less than Coherent. But yeah, I was not impressed with the first showing but I'll give them a few more shows to see if it improves.
Mr. Fortnight 06-16-2006 04:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
I enjoyed the PPV, but am also disappointed (so far) in the new show on Sci Fi. It just seemed to me that they didn't put much effort into it, which is surprising, considering how hyped this premiere was and how good (at least I thought) One Night Stand was. I agree that it deserves a second chance and will check it out again next week, though. I was looking forward to watching this, so I hope they do what they can to improve it. And no more zombies. Please.

I was amused that "The Zombie" got owned by The Sandman. He is my favorite ECW wrestler, who's entrance alone makes him worth seeing. He's bleeding before he gets into the ring for cripe's sake!

Also, seeing Kurt Angle do some new, and quite interesting moves in an almost UFC manner was quite a change from the usual wrestling.

I see the diamonds in the rough.