The Evangelion... ITS EVERYWHERE

Spoderman 06-04-2006 02:33 AM
At the end of Winter Night Phantom, as Dastun holds the dying Sybil Rowan, he cries on her face, and she raises her hand up to his cheek and strokes his face. Then she says "Vous si Gentil" (you're so sweet)

Call me crazy, but this could be a sizeable reference to the final scene of End of Evangelion.

You know... the incredibly disturbing scene where Shinji attempts to strangle Asuka, and then stops when she strokes his face, at which point he begins crying, and tears fall on her face? Then she comments, "How disgusting." (which would be the opposite of what's happening in Winter Night Phantom)

Anyway... I'm done.
paul1290 06-04-2006 10:54 AM
I've heard that a some of the people who worked on Big-O were also Evangelion fans so this isn't too surprising.
SEELE 08 06-04-2006 12:11 PM
Archtype's design was meant to reflect the Evangelions in general. I guess the robot desginer was as big Eva fan and wanted to do some kind of tribute to it. If you watch the way Archtyped moves it moves like a berserk Eva (ep. 19/20 of Eva) and Archtyped itself looks like a cross between Eva 02, and Eva 00.

Archtype

Eva 00

Eva02

Archtype's movement

Berserk Eva 01
Generalissimo D 06-04-2006 12:29 PM
I see no resemblence aside from movement.
Mike 06-04-2006 12:45 PM
It is sort of skeletal, and Evas are really skinny, and Archetype seems to have teeth which Evas have...plus it flips out all crazygonuts like Eva 01 does.

But seeing as how Evangelion was a really popular show, it's not surprising that it influences other shows.
Spoderman 06-04-2006 01:29 PM
Very interesting Seele, that pose is almost identical to the postion that Unit 03 takes right before it strangles Unit 01
SEELE 08 06-04-2006 01:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by D-Boy
I see no resemblence aside from movement.

Look at the head shape of Unit 00, and the eyes of Unit 2...it kinda looks like archtype's good ol face. Plus Arch-types spine sticks out in notches like an un-armored eva.
Also That picture of Archtyped on Big 0 looksl ike when Unit 01 was getting ready to...err...eat Zeruel the 14th Angel. Yummy Yummy!
PoptartKing 06-09-2006 07:44 PM
I can definitely see the EVA/Archetype relationship.
With regard to the OP though, not so much. The whole femme fatale thing is a big motif in noir which Big O very obviosly draws on, while the scene in Evangelion is the climax of a long stent of confusing and contrained character interactions. I feel the two scenes are *very* different in underlying concepts.
MercZ 06-14-2006 06:46 PM
Sometimes shows are influenced by shows that have come before them. It's not too surprising, but I never noticed that.

But that scene isn't as disturbing as some other things, atleast from what I've heard. There is a far more disturbing and sick scene in the End of Evangelion, which I won't name.

Then again, I don't really watch NGE, I heard that from a friend of mine who is a fan of the series.

Edit- Noticed the date, sorry about that.
Nine Kuze 06-14-2006 07:50 PM
I don't really see the resemblence at all with the archtype megaduce and the Evangelion. And personally, I'm really tired of the Evangelion-Big O comparisons.

Also no offense but the original comparison that Spoderman made to begin this thread made no sense and seems rather random to me.
Peace.
Wreck-Gar 06-25-2006 06:13 AM
I can see what people are getting at with the Archetype comparison but I also think you're looking too hard.
SEELE 08 06-25-2006 06:39 AM
I just read in the manga extras section Archtypes was modelded off of the EVAs.