What does Roger mean to you?

The Baker St. Irregular 06-03-2006 11:13 PM
I pose to you, my fellow PCFers, a question that has hopefully not been asked already... What does Roger signify to you personally as the viewer? (But don't feel constrained to just him... How about other TBO characters?) To clarify, I am not asking a simple "Who is he?" as he is in the show. Rather, what does he come to symbolize in your mind?

I am asking this silly question because I've had many dreams in the recent past with him in it, and I'm confused as to why him and what my subconscious uses him for. Confused Fictional characters are more symbols than people when they're in dream settings. Let's see if I can delve into this further...

If I had to answer, I would say that he is definitely a symbol of resolve and masculinity, but above all, professionalism. So I suppose it would be no surprise to me that I have dreamt of him lately, because I feel that I lack strength and confidence in my abilities, especially since I am graduating high school and am making my way into the World of Grown-Ups. Perhaps what my subconscious is saying to me is that I need to be more like Roger and not only be more confident of myself and my actions, but strive to be stronger, too.

While I'm at it, I think I should analyze Angel. She's the only other Big O character I've had in my dreams. She appeared twice along side Roger, and both times she was totally flipping out. Hmm. To be more precise, she seemed both extremely stressed out, confused, and very sad at the same time. So what does this mean to me? That way I figure it, she symbolizes femininity and the reluctant bearer of great responsibility (this being associated with her being The Director and all). In context, this is concerning because I have been confused over the meaning of what true femininity is. So she represents to me female energy crying out to be understood.

*nods sagely* Well, it looks like I'm my own shrink. Pleased I doubt if any of you will be this psychological about it, but then again... Who knows? I want to see what you think. Please share your thoughts about Roger or any other TBO character! Big Grin
Chitter-Box-Kat 06-03-2006 11:20 PM
Personally, I see Roger as a compilation of masculinity, perfectionism, professionalism, biasas, acting, truthfulness, lying, heroism, identity and a whole bunch of other things I'd need to actually think about.

Dorothy is identity, loving, curiosity, fears, music, song, memory, music boxes, rules, humanity, emotion, and dolls.

Of course that's just me. Some people would see them differently.
Dark-0 06-04-2006 09:04 PM
Roger Smith- To me he stands for something more and he does it with serious style. I got that from the Big-O commericals back when it was on Toonami. Sure he tries to be a pimp but hey at least he has the car and Big-O. A cool character when it comes to situations he knows how to act well except for season 2.

As for Angel shes hot, blonde, knows how to wear a pink jump suit. Knows how to fire a weapon. Makes Roger get into more trouble than usual. The girl needs some love Tongue .
Chitter-Box-Kat 06-04-2006 10:48 PM
Pimp? Honey, where do get ideas like that? Roger is rich with expensive taste. That's why he's got the cool-ass car, the giant-ass mansion, and the kick-ass robot.
ScionofDestiny 06-04-2006 11:12 PM
In my thought and/or psyche Roger takes the Form of Order - he represents the mediator between the many powers and political forces of the world, universe, and existence/Creation in general- symbolized in the form of Paradigm City. Roger holds this honorable and important position in my 'throne room'.

This makes Roger a being who balances out the equation - he and Big O are Order and Law and their enemy is Chaos and Crime. He serves the Balance of Paradigm City.

Extensionally, Roger to me is the person who is orderly and keeps things (anything) running efficiently, but idealistically knows when to 'get out of character' for a greater good. This led me to speculate that Roger might actually symbolize the Form of Good, but I shifted away from this thought. Roger is good, but he does not embody good. Also, Roger isn't chaotic enough to represent the role of Chaos in Good - that makes him a crippled good.

Big O represents Law - the tool of Order to maintain Order's power. I view Big O as the fundamental aspect of 'Roger's Laws'.

ADDITIONALLY:

Sometimes I confuse Big O as Order and Roger as Law - due in part to my psyche's tendancy to view Big O and Roger as two indivisible beings (along with Dorothy) making one rather than three.

Dorothy represents the Form of Compassion - I always assumed that if she had been able too she would be one of the happy go-lucky anime characters we see in other series.
Ammaranth 06-05-2006 01:11 AM
To me, Roger is me, or at least, one side of myself. I started watching Big O around the same time that I was going through a very dark period of depression. I had become agnostic, and wandered from feeling a vague sense of belief in something to some very dark days of wishing I could believe in something, and hoping that there was something to believe in, but not feeling at all sure about it. So you could imagine how the whole show and Roger's role in it very much struck a chord with where I was at that moment in life.
On a lighter note, I have Roger's fussy side, and can be very particular about things around me. I also have a tendany to sleep till noon, and I share Roger's conflicted approach when it comes to the ladies. I can easily flirt with women unless of course it's someone I'm actually INTERESTED in. This is a dangerous tendancy, and something I have to be very careful about. But it's funny, too. It's kind of a running joke that everyone will know I've met "the one" when they see some girl and I lock eyes from across the room, and then both simultaneously proceed to faint and fall over backwards. Actually, I kind of hope it happens that way -- it'd make for a great "how we met" kind of story, I'll say that Wink
But a lot of what things from the show --be it Roger or Dorothy or the setting of Paradigm itself -- means to me is more nebulous, and hard to explain. Some nights, late at night, when I'm driving home, I can almost hear strains of the music from the show playing, and in some way I can't put words to, it just fits the mood I'm in. I guess sometimes I'm just in a Paradigm frame of mind.

Ammaranth
The Baker St. Irregular 06-05-2006 09:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ammaranth

But a lot of what things from the show --be it Roger or Dorothy or the setting of Paradigm itself -- means to me is more nebulous, and hard to explain. Some nights, late at night, when I'm driving home, I can almost hear strains of the music from the show playing, and in some way I can't put words to, it just fits the mood I'm in. I guess sometimes I'm just in a Paradigm frame of mind.

Ammaranth

I understand what you mean. There definitely is something about the atmosphere of Paradigm City that I find myself reflecting upon. It's a world filled with innumerable dark secrets and machinery behind the scenery, metaphorically and literally. Sometimes, I can't help but notice that our world can feel like that. You have to strive to make sense of a world that seems to be one big lie.

Confused Hmm. I always manage to hurt my brain whenever I try and think about this sort of thing...
SEELE 08 06-05-2006 12:14 PM
To me Roger Smith is a metaphor for free will. Fortunately he doesn't wind up like another metaphor for free will....Kaworu. Whose remains were rinsed off of Unit-01's hands at the end of ep. 24....But Roger is essentially different than the other Tomatoes because he isn't totally pre-programmed. Gordon gave him free will possibly to see if the cycle would be broken by it.
Dark-0 06-05-2006 07:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Chitter-Box-Kat
Pimp? Honey, where do get ideas like that? Roger is rich with expensive taste. That's why he's got the cool-ass car, the giant-ass mansion, and the kick-ass robot.

Pimp could have many meanings in street terms what I call a pimp is a ladies man. His policies that he helps the ladies and the elderly first in a case in which I take that as advice in my everday job as a automechanic. "Crusing around in my 64"
Mike 06-05-2006 08:11 PM
I always thought Roger was sort of a regular guy, who went and tried to solve peoples' problems, trying to figure out the mysteries of the city while everyone else seemed to be content to just wander around in ignorance.

That and he had a bigass walking gun in his garage.
Generalissimo D 06-05-2006 09:24 PM
Roger is suave and debonair, with one of the most badass mechs of all time.

And that car is choice too.

He lives the high life while fighting the good fight.
The Baker St. Irregular 06-05-2006 10:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
I always thought Roger was sort of a regular guy, who went and tried to solve peoples' problems, trying to figure out the mysteries of the city while everyone else seemed to be content to just wander around in ignorance.

I definitely agree. Pleased It's too easy for a crime-fightin' cartoon character to be too one-dimensional, but Roger has a personality with strengths and set backs like any real person would have, so it's easier to identify with him. Even though he has a megadeus, he is, in the end, a guy just trying to make the world a better place! Aww.

quote:
That and he had a bigass walking gun in his garage.

And still the best damn mecha I've ever seen. Pleased
SEELE 08 06-05-2006 11:45 PM
quote:
And still the best damn mecha I've ever seen. Pleased

Glinda pwns. I <3 Glinda! She's gotta be my favorite mech....even cooler than *gasp* Mass production Evas!
Gummibear 06-06-2006 07:24 PM
Roger at first glance: A professional, the embodiment of the traditional "Tall, dark, & handsome" look. Nice suit.

What he means to me: I diffenately care about what happens to him in the series, however I didn't feel as strongly about him on his own terms as I felt about him when he's interacting with Dorothy. In a way I think Dorothy "humanizes" him. Without her he was pretty much a well oiled (at least on the surface) machine. Cool, professional, level-headed Negotiator, which to me would get dull after a while. I suppose that in his "role" as negotiator you're not supposed to feel very passionately for or against him. He's the mediator. So to me, It varied from the beginning of the series towards the ending. Don't get me wrong I've always liked Roger but I think that he gradually gained more depth of character as the series progressed.