What's your reading speed?

RoseRose 05-31-2006 09:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
Right now, I just finished reading almost every book by Kurt Vonnegut. The last one I have to read is Cat's Cradle, which I've just started.

After that, it's everything written by Dostoevsky. I go through a book a day, and am a pretty fast reader.
I used to be able to do that.... Ah... the days of high school and TIME... then the real world intrueds... Jobs... Classes... Homework... Life... yeah....
Travis Bickle 05-31-2006 09:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by RoseRose
quote:
Right now, I just finished reading almost every book by Kurt Vonnegut. The last one I have to read is Cat's Cradle, which I've just started.

After that, it's everything written by Dostoevsky. I go through a book a day, and am a pretty fast reader.
I used to be able to do that.... Ah... the days of high school and TIME... then the real world intrueds... Jobs... Classes... Homework... Life... yeah....

I've got a job, school and a life. I just have the ability to go through about 150 pages an hour.
Mugiwara Luffy 05-31-2006 10:14 PM
quote:
I've got a job, school and a life. I just have the ability to go through about 150 pages an hour.

If you can retain the information, that's amazing. I tend to read a little slowly (like 50 pages an hour) but I try to savor a book, and sometimes I just start daydreaming. The only time I read very quickly is with a really good book. I definitely read Fight Club in one day. Great book.
Travis Bickle 05-31-2006 10:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mugiwara Luffy
quote:

If you can retain the information, that's amazing. I tend to read a little slowly (like 50 pages an hour) but I try to savor a book, and sometimes I just start daydreaming. The only time I read very quickly is with a really good book. I definitely read Fight Club in one day. Great book.

For English in 9th grade, I once had to take an essay exam on the Grapes of Wrath. I woke up at 3 the morning before, read the book, took the test at 8 am and got a 95 out of 100. The 5 points off were for the fact that my handwriting f***ing blows.
RoseRose 06-01-2006 02:10 AM
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm about 120 pages an hour, or so... The internet has taken over my life. O.o
pen1300 06-01-2006 10:01 AM
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm about 120 pages an hour, or so... The internet has taken over my life. O.o

I def. get jealous of those who can read so fast. I can only do about 50-60 pages an hour, but like it was said earlier, faster if it's a good book. My mom is a fast reader, but she skips stuff. Like it was said earlier, I also read to savor the book. That way, I don't have to read something again, because I remember it. Big Grin

*Sigh* If only I would sit down and read...there's so many books...so little time.

Later,
Pen1300
Nine Kuze 06-01-2006 02:52 PM
I'm not sure about how many pages a minute I can read up to (although at a guess, I'd think mine would be around 100 pages per hour) but when I have the given time in a book I'm interested in, I can usually finish it off in a day easily.

I like savoring the books as well but I'm usally able to retain the info from the story and I'm naturally a fast reader as well.
Peace.
Revan 06-01-2006 03:37 PM
I don't know my exact reading speed either but it is generally quite fast, depending on what material is being read really.
Mike 06-01-2006 04:08 PM
I've never actually counted how many pages I can read in an hour, but I can read pretty quick. Unless I'm distracted, which I am 90% of the time.
Chitter-Box-Kat 06-01-2006 04:09 PM
I don't know my reading speed...but I usually finish an average sized manga in less than an hour...I can read thirty to forty pages in twenty five minutes or so...I guess I read kinda fast. Oh Well I read the fifth Harry Potter bok in like, two 1/2 days. And I read Howl's Moving Castle (the novel) in a day.

Is there a way to test this kind of stuff?
RoseRose 06-01-2006 05:07 PM
I don't know... I figure 120, but that's an old number (from Jr. high). I had a book, they opened it up to a random page, and timed how long it took me to read it. *shrug* 30 seconds. I tend not to read a book in a day, but that's cause I'm usually reading 2-3 books at once, at least, I did, back in high school. Nowadays, the internet wins. *shrug*
Inigo Montoya 06-01-2006 05:33 PM
Hmm... [ponders]

I think my average reading speed is about 200 pages per hour, because I managed to read through James Clavell's Shogun in about 5-6 hours.

I can get faster speeds, but it requires more focus.
angelcakes 06-01-2006 05:42 PM
Depends on the book I think. If I'm really into it I can average 100-150 pages an hour. If the the books totally boring I'll get distracted more easily and probably take ten times longer to finish it.

quote:
I read the fifth Harry Potter bok in like, two 1/2 days. And I read Howl's Moving Castle (the novel) in a day.

I think the 5th book took me eight hours and Howl's Moving Castle took me four/five hours total (I broke up the time between two days mind you.)
pen1300 06-02-2006 10:08 AM
Half the time the books I read take me about two days to read. I read in the afternoon/evening, then in the morning.

Though, here I am on the internet.

Anyway, I sorta figured out my reading speed by going back to where I started, figuring the amount of pages to the point I now am at, then checking the time I started at. Sometimes I figure this out without trying: The opportunity is there, so I figure it out. Every time, I find it's about 1 minute a page = 60 pages an hour. (I have at least 2 hours left on my current book).

Though, text books, for some reason, on average, are about 10 minutes to a page due to the fact I'm writing down notes instead of highlighting (I remember more that way, and I don't have to look at the book again).

Manga on the other hand: 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. Graphic novels, longer, depending on what it is.

Later,
Pen1300
The Fallen Phoenix 06-02-2006 10:22 AM
Well...on the subway, I usually tend to average a page or two per minute, which probably averages to roughly ninety pages an hour.

But that's on the subway. At home, I can read two, maybe three pages per minute when I am not distracted, so that probably comes out to be...well, I'll be conservative and say around one hundred-fifty pages an hour.

Textbooks...it depends on the subject material, really. A history book won't take me as long as, say, a philosophy book to read.

Reading in general does depend on the subject matter. Philosophy books are definitely going to take me a lot longer, on average, than any other type of book, just because of the density and the subject material.

In terms of finishing books...I can read most books within a day, if I give myself time to read it. Often I will purposefully slow myself down, however, so that books last me longer (and I don't have to constantly go out and obtain new books).
Buck Buck #1 06-02-2006 12:26 PM
I'd probably be able to read as fast as all of you guys, but I get distracted really easily, and for some reason I always get confused about wich line I just read and end up reading the same line of text two or three times.
Nine Kuze 06-02-2006 01:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Bun Bun
and for some reason I always get confused about wich line I just read and end up reading the same line of text two or three times.

Wow, I do the exact same thing every time I read. I pretty much thought I was the only one to do that.
Peace.
Mugiwara Luffy 06-02-2006 01:59 PM
What I usually end up doing is reading a whole page and then being like "what just happened? what's going on?" So I'm reading, but I'm not really paying attention. That's why I have to read slower.
Nine Kuze 06-02-2006 06:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mugiwara Luffy
What I usually end up doing is reading a whole page and then being like "what just happened? what's going on?" So I'm reading, but I'm not really paying attention. That's why I have to read slower.

Actually, I do something some of similar to that as well. Like for example, when I'm reading, I'll sort of daydream and thinking about other topics like what happened earlier in the day or something related to the book. But the weird thing is when I snap out of my flux, I still remembered what I read and I continue on reading.

I guess you can say I have a weird style of reading.
Peace.
NVWC2006 06-02-2006 06:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by angelcakes
Depends on the book I think. If I'm really into it I can average 100-150 pages an hour. If the the books totally boring I'll get distracted more easily and probably take ten times longer to finish it.

[QUOTE]I read the fifth Harry Potter bok in like, two 1/2 days. And I read Howl's Moving Castle (the novel) in a day.

I think the 5th book took me eight hours and Howl's Moving Castle took me four/five hours total (I broke up the time between two days mind you.)[/quote

it too depends on the book for me, and how much i had read recently. book 5 took me 13 hours, including short breaks for food twice. yet, book 6 took me 8 hours, including one break for food.

in the end, it comes down to how interesting the book is and the size of the print, i think. but in general, i can read anywhere from 60-120 pages an hour. yeah, i know, that's a big range x.x