Reading Manga

Mr. Peabody 05-27-2006 07:33 PM
How do you prefer to read manga? Most U.S. comic book publishers print manga in the western left to right style, but in the last few years, some publishers have printed manga in the traditional left to right style.

I prefer reading manga printed in the western style. I've tried reading manga printed traditionally but I always get lost with the structure. For me, it's too frustrating.
Chitter-Box-Kat 05-27-2006 08:15 PM
I've read manga both ways and have no real preference. But if I had to pick a side, I'd say traditional right-to-left.
The Baker St. Irregular 05-27-2006 09:26 PM
It depends. I don't mind either direction, but... one of my biggest pet peeves ever is when a Japanese manga gets flipped to the wrong direction. It ruins the artwork and is completely against what the artist intended. So if it's supposed to go right-to-left, I want it left that way.

So yeah. I've never had a problem with reading comics in either direction. Manga, right-to-left, Batman, left-to-right. Although, sometimes, I read so much manga that I forget to read the newspeper comics the correct direction. Embarrassed Sweatdrop
ScionofDestiny 05-27-2006 10:33 PM
It was awkward reading from right-to-left for fifteen pages but I got used to it. I actually started appreciating it.
Sephiroth 05-28-2006 12:02 AM
Originally I preffered manga that was in the Left to Right style, however as I read more manga, I grew accustomed to the right to left style, and now I prefer it. I'm not devoted to either one though, either way it really doesn't bother me.
angelcakes 05-28-2006 02:02 PM
In most cases I prefer reading manga right-to-left, but in certain manga such as X/1999 or the older manga such as Sailor Moon, Saint Tail, or CCS I really don't mind reading left-to-right.
Generalissimo D 05-28-2006 06:15 PM
I read things in various directions, so it doesn't matter.
Wingnut 05-28-2006 07:17 PM
As long as I know which way to read it, I don't really care. They both go top to bottom, so it is similar enough either way.
Asirt 05-31-2006 11:22 PM
Out of all the manga I've read so far, I've read them in the right-to-left format. I really don't mind either format to be honest, but when it comes to manga, I usually read them right-to-left. It felt wierd at first, but got used to it eventually.
pen1300 06-01-2006 10:09 AM
I'll read it however it's printed, as long as I can tell which way it's supposed to go.

The only comic book I had to get the hang of was Ruse because they had these cool two page spreds, but I didn't realize it until I didn't get what happened and why it was out of order.

Otherwise, I got a hang of the traditional manga format pretty early on and like it for Manga.

Later,
Pen1300
David Ryder 06-01-2006 01:45 PM
I don't give a crap if it's left-to-right or right-to-left. I tend to avoid looking or sounding like a rabid fanboy as much as I can. If I can read it, I don't care how it's printed.
Nine Kuze 06-01-2006 01:47 PM
Like others, it doesn't matter which direction the manga is printed, I'll read it anyway.

But lately, I've been reading a lot of manga that has been printed in the traditional Japanese custom from right to left. But the funny thing is that when I tried reading graphic novels or American comics, I get confused sometimes and it takes me a minute to realize or to read it in the American version.

But yeah, either way is all good to me.
Peace.
undyingphoenix 06-27-2006 01:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Peabody
How do you prefer to read manga? Most U.S. comic book publishers print manga in the western left to right style, but in the last few years, some publishers have printed manga in the traditional left to right style.

I prefer reading manga printed in the western style. I've tried reading manga printed traditionally but I always get lost with the structure. For me, it's too frustrating.

I just came back from my first anime convention where I bought tons of manga printed right to left style (unbeknownst tome). At first, I couldn't stand it but then I got used to it after a while.

I'd say that my preference is left to right because that it what I am used to but the advantage of reading the manga the way the artist originally intented it can't be ignored, at least in my opinion. I think it's kind of cooler that way.
BigPrime 07-08-2006 07:50 PM
I'lll read it however it's printed, but I'd prefer it left unflipped. Flipping manga leads to strange things like Norman Burg's eyepatch flipping and the like.
Ammaranth 07-21-2006 01:20 AM
I really don't have anything against flipping when doing an American version, when it can be done without losing the impact of the original artwork. I don't have a problem reading right to left, either, so personally, it doesn't make me that much of a difference. From a marketing point of view, it might be better to translate the format so as not to deter new readers. Diehard manga fans may be willing to adjust to the rtl format, but a new reader who casually picks up a volum might be put off by it. Then again, new readers might see the rtl style as something that makes the book that much more interesting. Somewhere, there is probably a room full of consultants doing research on this as I type.

Ammaranth
Shadow dorothy 07-21-2006 12:01 PM
The japanese way.
Mugiwara Luffy 07-21-2006 12:17 PM
I'm so used to reading manga right to left that I sometimes read normal comics backwards. Or at least I read the dialogue bubbles in each panel the way I would for manga. And then I laugh at myself.