Superman Returns Official Discussion

DorothyFan1 05-24-2006 11:56 PM
Yep. This thread is for Superman Returns. You can use this thread to post spoilers and discuss your questions, fears and hopes for it. You can also trash the movie if you feel it's gone too far, not far enough or whatever. It's your choice.

Now it's my turn. *ahem*. I've seen the trailer...the "new" one and it does look good. However, there are problems with this film that I'll address later. For now...my thoughts involve the reasoning behind the plotline.

Director Bryan Singer has made some radical choices for the movie that I don't quite see the need for. Since it's been discussed and published they decided to "forget" Superman 3, 4, and 5...they essentially wanted to keep the Donner Universe intact. So it was decided to make this movie seen within the context of the last Superman movie made...Superman 2.

With that in mind...using the last frames of Superman 2...we know that Superman kisses Lois Lane to make her forget that she knows his "secret" about his identity, etc. We then see Superman promising the President that he would never let them down. It ended with Christopher Reeves flying with the American Flag leading into the closing credits for the film. That was the last time we saw Superman. 20 years ago. Long time indeed.

Now...for THIS film...Bryan Singer has decided to take some really drastic steps to "involve" us in the plot. Here's the essential thing I have problems with...According to the descriptions to the film...it's 5 years after the events in Superman 2. Within that time frame...Lex Luthor goes scott free because without Superman testifying at his trial for the events in Superman 2...no evidence can be brought against him. So Lex Luthor is free to plot his new scheme for mass meyhem. In the meantime...Lois Lane has "moved on" and found love in the arms of another man...named Richard White. We also find out Lois Lane has a child...4 or 5 years old. At this point...we don't know the father's identity. We "assume" it COULD be Superman...but...well, that would be spoiling the fun of this critique right away.

I'm not going there. I know alot of spoilers for this film...and I won't mention them unless some of you come into this one to post them yourselves and I'll "correct" or "disprove" them IF I can...assuming I know "all" of the spoilers. Alot of the spoilers for this film are pretty much known...except Bryan Singer has probably altered a few of them to keep the element of surprise intact in time for the movie's release 5 weeks from now.

In the meantime...I have a problem with the Lois Lane character having a 5 year old child out of wedlock. We know she's not married at the time of the movie's start because it states she's "engaged" to be married to this new guy called Richard White (played by the actor who is Cyclops in the X-Men films). My gripe with the decision to make Lois Lane an unwed mother to this 5 year old child is this...because we know Lois Lane is Superman's "love"...one has to wonder why Lois Lane waits no more than 3 months after Superman's disappearance before she does the hot monkey sex with another guy when she should at least be pining away for Superman. So in the context of the movie from the very start...Superman Returns makes Lois Lane out to be a slut. This is the assumption if we allow for the possibility that the child is NOT Superman's. So right off the bat we have a moral grey area in a Superman film that's not "quite right". This is all my opinion.

That's my concern right now. Anybody want to post theirs...now's the time.
Travis Bickle 05-25-2006 12:42 AM
I'm not going to see it...ever.

I read the shooting script and it was terrible, compared to the other scripts considered (ie. Kevin Smith's).

Kevin Spacey's acting in the trailer looks like crap, and since he's one of my favorite actors, I don't want this to ruin my image of him.

That, and I never liked Superman.
Nine Kuze 05-25-2006 02:52 PM
I'll see it just because it is Superman. I liked the first two films (and I knew about Singer decision to start after the second movie which was a very good idea) but I don't really have any high hopes for the film.

Yeah, the whole "Lois has a baby" thing is not right. Not right at all.

Also, I think the movie was badly cast (don't get me started on Kate Bosworth).

quote:
Kevin Spacey's acting in the trailer looks like crap, and since he's one of my favorite actors, I don't want this to ruin my image of him.

I'm a big Kevin Spacey fan myself as well and couldn't believe that he would take the Lex Luthor role. It seems rather beneath him and its a long way from American Beauty.

But still, I'll see it when it drops.

EDIT: I'm waiting for the Superman movie when they bring in Darkseid of Doomsday. That would be entertaining.
Peace.
DorothyFan1 05-25-2006 03:57 PM
About Kate Bosworth...are you people aware she's wearing a wig for the movie?! A wig! This is the worst thing I could think of. I mean...they could have made her dye her hair brunette. But no! She has to wear a wig!

Another problem about Kate Bosworth. She simply doesn't emote well in this role from what I've seen in the trailer. She's a mannequin come to life. Of all the possible actresses for this role...

Rachel McAdams
Selma Blair
Michelle Williams
Lauren Graham
Scarlett Johannson
Charlize Theron
Rose Byrne
Jennifer Connelly
Julianne Moore
Mary Elizabeth Winstead
Eden Riegel
Naomi Watts
Keira Knightley

They settle for "Blue Crush" actress Kate Bosworth. Now...don't get me wrong. Kate Bosworth probably is a good upcoming actress...but not for this.
Nine Kuze 05-25-2006 04:05 PM
quote:
About Kate Bosworth...are you people aware she's wearing a wig for the movie?! A wig! This is the worst thing I could think of. I mean...they could have made her dye her hair brunette. But no! She has to wear a wig!

Yeah, its a wig. Actually, I thought that was very funny.

quote:
Rachel McAdams = Maybe
Selma Blair = NO
Michelle Williams = GOD NO
Lauren Graham = Don't know her
Scarlett Johannson = NO
Charlize Theron = Too big
Rose Byrne = Don't know her
Jennifer Connelly = Maybe, but like Spacey, I don't want her anywhere near this film.
Julianne Moore = NO
Mary Elizabeth Winstead = Don't know her
Eden Riegel = Don't know her
Naomi Watts = Maybe
Keira Knightley = Too big and come on, Lois Lane with an English accent?

This is just my opinions on your list, DorothyFan1

quote:
Another problem about Kate Bosworth. She simply doesn't emote well in this role from what I've seen in the trailer. She's a mannequin come to life.

But a very fine mannequin nonetheless. Big Grin
Peace.
Generalissimo D 05-25-2006 04:18 PM
I think Spacey was trying to emulate Hackman, which is why he's coming off all weird.
DJX Prime 05-26-2006 07:04 AM
My roommate and I are going to check it out mainly because we're into Superman. However, we're also a bit scared at the same time, especially since Superman is the roomie's idol.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen a big screen version of the Death and Return of Superman story arc. Hell, even a Superman/Batman film would have been good.
DorothyFan1 05-26-2006 07:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DJX Prime
My roommate and I are going to check it out mainly because we're into Superman. However, we're also a bit scared at the same time, especially since Superman is the roomie's idol.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen a big screen version of the Death and Return of Superman story arc. Hell, even a Superman/Batman film would have been good.

This is exactly what I was thinking of. A storyline like the Death of Superman using the Doomsday plot would have been far superior than what we're about to be stuck with. Here's a real stunner.SPOILER in invisiotext:
spoiler (highlight to read):
there's an action sequence where Superman saves an airplane from crashing onto the ground. It's one of the big sequences of the movie.
Generalissimo D 05-26-2006 07:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DorothyFan1

This is exactly what I was thinking of. A storyline like the Death of Superman using the Doomsday plot would have been far superior than what we're about to be stuck with. Here's a real stunner.SPOILER in invisiotext:
spoiler (highlight to read):
there's an action sequence where Superman saves an airplane from crashing onto the ground. This sequence takes 30 MINUTES of the film!!

You have to be joking.
DorothyFan1 05-26-2006 07:51 PM
I just double checked where I got this information from...and I'm incorrect about the length of the airplane sequence. In fact, I modified my original spoiler on that. My deepest apologies for the incorrect information. But I've read the airplane CGI sequence is one of the set pieces of the film. That much is accurate.

I must publically say that the review of the SR movie that I read has been discredited by Aint It Cool News and trashed by people who say it's completely BS. Warner Brothers has asked that the link to the review be taken down...and it has. In the meantime, I would have to stay on the fence on this review because only time will tell. However, I have reservations about the film for some very simple facts even without using that questionable review.

Kate Bosworth is wearing a brunette wig. I don't know why anyone would require an actress who has gorgeous hair to hide it with a wig. Kate Bosworth has beautiful hair. I've seen her and she's stunning with beautiful hair. Why she is hiding it with a wig when she could have dyed it brunette is something I have to be convinced with. This is what's been done with KB's hair. I've yet to hear a credible explanation from WB or Bryan Singer on this matter. This bit alone is eyebrow raising and makes me question the direction of the movie.

The inclusion of the boy for the movie is questionable and problematic for various reasons whether or not he is the son of Kal-El. My concerns about using the boy is continuity issues.

Why are we seeing the boy if we don't know what happens prior to Superman Returns? This would need a backstory to explain the necessity of having Lois Lane have a child for people to bother questioning who is the father of the boy. If there is no credible backstory to this issue...his inclusion for the film is a big red herring for no reason whatsoever.

Whether or not the boy is Superman's son is almost irrelevant to the purpose of the movie because the other big issue is why would Superman leave Earth for 5 years. This is one of the backstory issues. He leaves Earth before Lex Luthor's trial from the events of Superman 2 but doesn't return. There has to be a credible explanation for Superman's departure for us to even care about the consequences of his disappearance for us to understand the "tragedy" of missing out of Lois Lane's birth and raising of this "boy".

Once again...I'm officially apologizing about the spoiler about the length of time for the airplane sequence. I'm finding out this is NOT true...and this has to be taken into context because the review that was put up has been taken down as per request by WB and not used by Aint It Cool News for an official review source. My apologies for the mistake and confusion. I will not be using this review any further for spoilers or information. I will instead depend on official sources that can be independently confirmed.

P.S. I have further information about the airplane sequence. This has been discussed in an Australian discussion forum...because Australia was where they had the movie shot. I've learned the actual airplane sequence lasts no more than 10 minutes.
Generalissimo D 05-26-2006 07:54 PM
Well, a 5 part comic is coming out to explain that.
DorothyFan1 05-26-2006 08:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by D-Boy
Well, a 5 part comic is coming out to explain that.

Explain what? Kate Bosworth wearing a wig? When I learned Kate Bosworth was going to wear a wig in Superman Returns...that's when the alarm bells started going off in my head.

I'm STILL waiting to hear an CLEAR, UNDERSTANDIBLE explanation on this matter ALONE. Why is she wearing a wig for? She has beautiful hair!! I just saw a commerical with Kate Bosworth this MORNING...the first one I've seen...guess what it was?...a hair shampoo commercial. I think it was for L'Oreal. I can't be sure.

If I was Kate Bosworth and was told I was to wear a wig for Superman Returns...I would have told Bryan Singer to go to hell. I would have dyed it brunette, etc. But not hiding it under a wig.

P.S. I am NOT alone in this complaint with the Kate Bosworth wearing a wig controversy. I have read repeatedly in different independent forums on this whole question. This is not my imagination. We are talking supporters of the movie, detractors of the movie all questioning the need for Kate Bosworth to hide her hair in a wig. Believe me when I say...Kate Bosworth has probably the most gorgeous hair I've EVER seen on an actress in recent memory. That's saying ALOT. So this issue of her wearing a wig is NOT going away. Not unless I hear a credible source explain the necessity of it. This wig she's wearing for the movie is totally RIDICULOUS.
Generalissimo D 05-26-2006 09:02 PM
...I meant the plot.

Obviously.

Who cares about a damn wig, honestly?
Sharpshooter005 05-26-2006 09:13 PM
quote:
If I was Kate Bosworth and was told I was to wear a wig for Superman Returns...I would have told Bryan Singer to go to hell. I would have dyed it brunette, etc. But not hiding it under a wig.

...Or she could just leave it blond. I don't really see how the idea of having lois lane's hair color not correspond perfectly to how it is in the comics would make or break a movie.

Granted some of the huge fans would get riled up, but...if hair color is someones biggest issue with the quality of a film, they should really just take a look at how absurd they sound.
DJX Prime 05-28-2006 07:07 AM
I think I'm starting to get a little more worried about this film after I was reading an article in a more recent issue of Wizard. It basically outlined the history of WB trying to get another Superman film made after the last one w/ Christopher Reeves. There apparently was alot of crap they wanted to do that would have taken it completely away from any continuity, like a gay robot sidekick, polar bears, and Luthor being a C.I.A. agent.

We'll see what happens at the end of June...
evanASF27 05-28-2006 12:51 PM
As long as John Williams does the soundtrack, I'm watching it...and it will be good. Cool

(John Williams is the god of movie music! BOW DOWN!!)
Generalissimo D 05-28-2006 06:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zenigata-Da-Vida
As long as John Williams does the soundtrack, I'm watching it...and it will be good. Cool

(John Williams is the god of movie music! BOW DOWN!!)

When Danny Elfman isn't rehashing everything, he is as good if not superior to Williams.

Granted Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...heh..
Fujiko 05-29-2006 01:13 AM
quote:
Originally posted by DorothyFan1

Yes, because, you know, this is quite the tragedy. Roll Eyes

quote:
Of all the possible actresses for this role...

A young non-psycho clone of Margot Kidder.

Fixed.

At first Jennifer Connelly popped into my head as being a good Lois Lane. But what's done is done I suppose. And Spacey...well I just hope a part of me doesn't die like when I saw Charlize Theron in Aeon Flux. *shudders*
Sharpshooter005 05-29-2006 01:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by DJX Prime
I think I'm starting to get a little more worried about this film after I was reading an article in a more recent issue of Wizard. It basically outlined the history of WB trying to get another Superman film made after the last one w/ Christopher Reeves. There apparently was alot of crap they wanted to do that would have taken it completely away from any continuity, like a gay robot sidekick, polar bears, and Luthor being a C.I.A. agent.

We'll see what happens at the end of June...

The whole backstory to that is HYSTERICAL. With the...I forget his name, the studio executive, basically just demanding superman fight a giant spider or something for no clear reason.
pen1300 05-29-2006 02:31 PM
Frankly, I see this as the whole "Let's jump on the comic-into-movie bandwagon with a CLASSIC!" I feel like its going to crash, like The Hulk and others did.

I've seen the previews on TV, but that's as far as it got. From the previews, I think it looks too fake and I mean, sure, Superman looks GOOD and it looks like a good eyecandy movie, but from what you guys have been saying, I don't think it's very good on plot. (Espeically if you spend that much time on the airplane thing)

Another reason I'm not seeing this movie is because I've never really liked Superman because he's, well, "super." He can't die and he's always very "pretty boy." Nonetheless, I think the actor playing Superman is cute and looks the part, but I just don't feel this will be worth my time.

As to John Williams, he provides "non-original music." From what I understand, their borrowing his stuff from before. The composer will be this guy whose only claim to fame (what I consider famous) is X-Men 2.

So yeah...

Later,
Pen1300