Superman Returns Official Discussion

Mugiwara Luffy 07-14-2006 09:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
I also liked Luthor's reaction to the kid and damn, did you hear that checklist James Mardsen ran down with what's wrong with the kid. All I remember was asthema but there were four others that affected the kids health as well.

While watching the movie, I thought it would have been a good plot twist if Lois new the kid had super powers and the medicine she was giving him had traces of Kyrptonite to supress them.

Unless that did happen and I just wasn't paying attention.

But if it didn't happen, then I stand by my conclusion that the film was a big disappointment.
Chitter-Box-Kat 07-16-2006 11:14 PM
Okay people, this was THE first Superman film I ever saw. EVER. And for the most part, I was very satisfied by the film. It was visually pleasing, and fun to watch. Of course, I know pretty much sh*t about the other movies and the comics, so my impression of the movie might have been different had I been exposed to said movies and comics. But I haven't, so in my unbiased opinion I give the movie a four out of five. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

If I had to nitpick, it would have to be the fact that
spoiler (highlight to read):
the son only displays super-strength.
But given that he's half human, it's kinda understandable. Personally, I like to think that the sons physical shortcommings are his powers being supressed by his human blood. The asthma is the super breath. And the lack of physical strength could be his super strength and speed bieng hindered.

I liked the movie, and look forward to the sequel. Cool
Big Money 07-17-2006 02:26 PM
I kinda think he just inherited the dork gene from his dad.

I saw the movie at a drive-in. It was pretty awesome.
Buck Buck #1 07-18-2006 12:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Chitter-Box-Kat

If I had to nitpick, it would have to be the fact that
the son only displays super-strength.
But given that he's half human, it's kinda understandable. Personally, I like to think that the sons physical shortcommings are his powers being supressed by his human blood. The asthma is the super breath. And the lack of physical strength could be his super strength and speed bieng hindered.

It might also be the fact that he's like four. I'm pretty sure that supermans powers didn't show up until later
Generalissimo D 07-30-2006 11:47 PM
Perfectly pertinent, highly amusing, and NSFW

Kevin Smith on 'Superman'
Travis Bickle 07-31-2006 12:18 AM
Yeah, I saw that a while ago. Good stuff.
Jonny Axehandle 09-05-2006 09:51 PM
Okay, this just hit me:

Lois and Superman spend the night together in Superman 2. Continuity-wise this movie is after 2, not considering 3 and 4. So between 2 and Returns:

-Superman leaves
-Lois goes through this whole get-over-Superman thing
-Lois meets Richard and sleeps with him (she'd have to if he believed that he was the father)

...all in a time span of JUST 9 MONTHS?

Scratch that, all this would have had to happen BEFORE Lois can discover that she is pregnant. Seriously...WTF?

Also, whoever wrote Lex's dialogue needs to realize the 70's are over and go watch Smallville. Other than that is was a decent movie.
Nine Kuze 09-06-2006 09:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Axehandle
Okay, this just hit me:

Lois and Superman spend the night together in Superman 2. Continuity-wise this movie is after 2, not considering 3 and 4. So between 2 and Returns:

-Superman leaves
-Lois goes through this whole get-over-Superman thing
-Lois meets Richard and sleeps with him (she'd have to if he believed that he was the father)

...all in a time span of JUST 9 MONTHS?

Scratch that, all this would have had to happen BEFORE Lois can discover that she is pregnant. Seriously...WTF?

Also, whoever wrote Lex's dialogue needs to realize the 70's are over and go watch Smallville. Other than that is was a decent movie.

Um, the time spand between Superman 2 and Superman Returns is supposed to be five years. Superman left Earth to find Krypton based on some leads he got that it might still be there. Five years later, he comes back and Lois has a kid with (who she thought but its kind of obvious before you watch the movie) Richard.
Peace.
Nine Kuze 11-04-2006 01:08 AM
Found this article about the details of the Superman sequel, coming out in 2007. And there are some hints and ideas in there on how to make it, you know... actually good.
Peace.
Generalissimo D 11-04-2006 10:36 AM
Death of Superman needs to be done.
Buck Buck #1 11-04-2006 11:53 AM
I think that they should bring in Gary Busey as Bizarro. That would definately be worth seeing.
Sharpshooter005 11-07-2006 10:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. D

If he stays dead, sure.

quote:
I think that they should bring in Gary Busey as Bizarro.

Despite my complete lack of interest in this franchise, I would see the hell out of any sequel which did this.
Jim Starluck 11-07-2006 11:18 PM
My money's on Brainiac for the next movie. Maybe Darkseid, but that would probably be rushing things.
Nine Kuze 11-08-2006 06:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Starluck
My money's on Brainiac for the next movie. Maybe Darkseid, but that would probably be rushing things.

I'm all up for Brainic making his appearance. He's one of my favorite Superman villains but I also think that Darkseid may be pushing. The same with Doomsday. No matter how kickass they both are.

Just... get rid of the damn kid. And maybe Kate Bosworth. That wouldn't hurt at all actually.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. D

Yes. Unless they go into that stupid plot with him not really being dead and there are like four different clones of him running around saying that there are the real Superman. Because that just sounds idiotic.

Besides, which movie studio has the balls to kill off Superman?
Peace.
DorothyFan1 11-08-2006 10:45 PM
Since learning that Warner Brothers has apparently decided to forgive Bryan Singer and allow him a chance to redeem himself over the mess of Superman Returns...the first thing that has to be done is...

1. Recast Lois Lane. Kate Bosworth didn't emote with the fans well enough to connect on the level Lois Lane is supposed to onscreen. She was "whiny, bored and listless". Those are some of the actual comments I've heard on various boards about Kate Bosworth's performance. That is a terrible thing to say about the woman who supposedly is the love of Superman's life. She certainly didn't inspire. Lois Lane has to be feisty, sassy and courageous. Who qualifies?

Several actresses:

You hearing me Bryan Singer? Here is your short list:

1. Rachel McAdams. I can't tell you enough how many posters have mentioned her name to be Lois Lane over Kate Bosworth. It's not even funny. If other people have independently mentioned her name besides myself...it's proof positive Kate Bosworth did NOT do well in the role. So wake up Bryan...and BEG Rachel McAdams to take the recast.

2. Anne Hathaway. She was in The Devil Wears Prada and now she's appearing in Making Jane in December. She EXEMPLEFIES the attitude of the real Lois Lane...she's smart, funny and attractive too. Another thing...she looks real...as in she doesn't look like a scarecrow like Kate Bosworth did. In case you haven't heard the news Bryan...skinny tooth pick size actresses are NOT cool.

3. Katherine McPhee. She's an absolute doll. Adorable, winning attitude and intelligent too. If director Joss Whedon was impressed with her enough to offer her the role for Wonder Woman and she actually TURNS it down?! Now that's courage and smarts. Get her agent on the phone...pronto, Bryan.