Superman Returns Official Discussion

Buck Buck #1 05-29-2006 02:42 PM
Wouldn't dying her hair mess it up alot more than covering it up with a wig? Besides, she might have been working on another project that required her to have blonde hair.
Gummibear 05-30-2006 07:41 AM
Honestly the whole "Wig-gate" is a little ridiculous. I mean should she have been a little more professional and dyed her hair? Sure. But she probably has her reasons. Plus from what I've seen it looks like credible hair (at least she's not sporting Tom Hank's Da Vinci Code coif). The real issue I have isn't with her hair but with her. I guess without seeing the movie first I can't judge her but for me she just doesn't do justice to Lois Lane. She just doesn't give off that spunky reporter vibe.
DorothyFan1 05-30-2006 09:30 PM
quote:
The real issue I have isn't with her hair but with her. I guess without seeing the movie first I can't judge her but for me she just doesn't do justice to Lois Lane. She just doesn't give off that spunky reporter vibe.

The role should have gone to Rachel McAdams. Now there's where you can see the real Lois Lane in action. She exudes spunk from the minute she's on screen.
Ano Hito 06-04-2006 02:43 PM
When I watch the trailer, I can't help but think, "whoa, those are some thick eyelashes there!"
DorothyFan1 06-05-2006 12:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ano Hito
When I watch the trailer, I can't help but think, "whoa, those are some thick eyelashes there!"

Okay. Now I'm definitely not watching Superman Returns. I think I'll watch The Devil Wears Prada instead.
Generalissimo D 06-05-2006 12:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by D-Boy
I think Spacey was trying to emulate Hackman, which is why he's coming off all weird.

To further reinforce this belief, I add this picture.

Now go rewatch the trailer for the new one.

It should all make sense now.
DorothyFan1 06-11-2006 12:05 PM
Director Bryan Singer has stated that Superman Returns is his first "chick flick". Does this description make you worried about how the audience will react to the storyline? Especially since it's been about 20 years since we last saw Superman take to the skies. It's beginning to look like that discredited Superman Returns review is getting larger and larger in its accuracy.
Ano Hito 06-11-2006 01:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DorothyFan1 It's beginning to look like that discredited Superman Returns review is getting larger and larger in its accuracy.

Where is this review? I'd like to read it.
DorothyFan1 06-11-2006 06:50 PM
Do a Google search for "UGO Superman Returns review" without the quotes and it should give you a link. I don't know if the link still works though. Just a warning ...this review has been widely discredited as false. However...now I'm not so sure after learning here and there about the movie. It's your call to judge.
Fujiko 06-13-2006 01:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by DorothyFan1
Director Bryan Singer has stated that Superman Returns is his first "chick flick".

Okay, just for that, I don't feel like watching it anymore.

Crying

Bryan Singer, you make me sad.
Nine Kuze 06-13-2006 04:08 PM
quote:
Director Bryan Singer has stated that Superman Returns is his first "chick flick". Does this description make you worried about how the audience will react to the storyline? Especially since it's been about 20 years since we last saw Superman take to the skies. It's beginning to look like that discredited Superman Returns review is getting larger and larger in its accuracy.

That is concerning. Very.

But also, I was watching this special segment they had on I think it was History Channel (they do stuff involving superheros from time to time) and it was called "Look in the Sky, it's Superman!". Anyway, they were going over the new Superman film, with some clips of the movie. I have to say that Bosworth doesn't really scare that much in the role of Lois Lane anymore. But its just what they've done to the character (the whole single-working-mom-with-a-kid thing) but pisses me off.

quote:
Originally posted by D-Boy
I think Spacey was trying to emulate Hackman, which is why he's coming off all weird.

Yeah, they had some clips of Spacey as Luthor in the this segment and yeah, he was coming off weird in it. Why he took this role I don't know.
Peace.
DorothyFan1 06-13-2006 06:14 PM
If Bryan Singer had wanted to do Superman as a "chick flick" film...this would have been better off produced as straight to DVD. There are people who've waited nearly 20 years to see Superman coming back. Given the long hiatus between the Donner films and Bryan Singer's vision...you'd think he would have jumped at the chance to start fresh with something new about Superman.

If I had been Bryan Singer...I would have junked Lois Lane and gone right into Kingdom Come, story by Mark Waid and artwork by Alex Ross. Anyone who's seen this comic would know this would have been an awesome adaption to bring Superman back. The kicker is by using Kingdom Come, they could have brought in Wonder Woman right off the bat and this story would have fit perfectly to bringing Superman into an entirely new direction. Talk about giving Superman a worthy girlfriend! Other than Lois Lane...it's canon that the other side of the coin is Wonder Woman for Superman.

Now if they didn't want to scrap Lois Lane...fine. They could still do Kingdom Come with her in it. But forget the angsty part where Superman is agonizing over whether he can ever win back Lois Lane. For crying out loud! I would have kept her as Superman's wife and forgotten the "soap opera" ridiculousness we're hearing from the Superman Returns plotline. For the amount of money they spent for this new Superman Returns...they could have really given us a great movie. It's not good when all we're hearing this movie is getting "good to average" reviews. For all that money..the reviews should be the same way it was when Batman Begins came out. Those reviews were solid across the board and it showed. Batman Begins was one of the 10 best pictures of the year. There's no way in hell Superman Returns is getting those kind of raves with the "chick flick" plotline.
Generalissimo D 06-13-2006 06:33 PM
quote:

...If I had been Bryan Singer...I would have junked Lois Lane and gone right into Kingdom Come...

Ladies and germs, best idea in the whole damn thread.
DorothyFan1 06-20-2006 08:58 PM
As more "reviews" to Superman Returns starts coming in...I've noticed an interesting trend. These reviews are incredibly "glowing" with zero negativity about the acting, actors or the movie itself. As much as I'd like to believe these reviews...there's that old saying "If it sounds too good to be true...it usually is" comes to mind here. They seem carefully crafted to bring out the "goodness" that is "Superman Returns." I'm wondering if anybody else has noticed this.
Gummibear 06-20-2006 09:46 PM
I'm a little wary of the whole "soap opera" spin myself. I don't think it's a bad film, though. I haven't seen it but it looks like a project that if anything is "well put together" and most likely it moves along rather well. While I seriously doubt that it has the emotional depth or gravitas of Batman Begins I think it certaintly might make more money but then again that's not how I rate the sucess of a movie, personally. I'm more of a Batman person so I am a little bias but I'll see Superman so no one can tell me so. Superman Returns is probably a good "popcorn" film but I get the feeling that it won't really reach the classic status of the Christopher Reeve "Superman".
DorothyFan1 06-20-2006 10:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gummibear
I'm a little wary of the whole "soap opera" spin myself. I don't think it's a bad film, though. I haven't seen it but it looks like a project that if anything is "well put together" and most likely it moves along rather well. While I seriously doubt that it has the emotional depth or gravitas of Batman Begins I think it certaintly might make more money but then again that's not how I rate the sucess of a movie, personally. I'm more of a Batman person so I am a little bias but I'll see Superman so no one can tell me so. Superman Returns is probably a good "popcorn" film but I get the feeling that it won't really reach the classic status of the Christopher Reeve "Superman".

I think your assessment is correct and I have the same doubts about this movie. I've decided not to give my 10 dollars to Bryan Singer over his first "entry" to a 3 part film. One reason being is that I know one big spoiler is
spoiler (highlight to read):
Lois Lane and Superman do not come together by the end of the movie. She still rejects him in favor of Richard White.
If I'm wrong about that spoiler...then I'd be very surprised. But I've read enough reviews that seem to be saying the spoiler I just mentioned is not inaccurate. Not exactly the kind of hopeful ending I would associate with a Superman film...so I'm passing on this. No matter what people say. I'm saving the 10 bucks for "The Devil Wears Prada". Just read a New York Times review to this movie and it's brutually honest. I can tell the critic pulled no punches...and this movie works. I'm not surprised to hear this because this is a small film with a small budget. You usually get better acting out of something like this than a monster sized budget film like a Superman movie. I, too am a Batman fan...I absolutely loved Batman Begins. I even thought it should have been nominated for Best Picture last year. What the heck was the Academy thinking? I even thought director Christopher Nolan was overlooked for a Director's Guild Award for his outstanding work on the movie.
Inigo Montoya 06-20-2006 10:41 PM
Ten bucks, Ten bucks, Ten bucks everywhere!! It's 6.25 here. And there's no sales tax.

Still, this movie looks like one I may wait for the DVD of.

Or the cable TV premiere, even. I still say Nuclear Man was the most believable villain in the old Superman movies, though.
Nine Kuze 06-21-2006 04:18 PM
The interesting trend I'm seeing all over television is that there's a parody going on about Superman possibly being gay. I don't if its a joke or what but, as of the moment there is a lot of that going around.

quote:
Ten bucks, Ten bucks, Ten bucks everywhere!! It's 6.25 here. And there's no sales tax.

Yeah, you kids are getting screwed in that department. Up here, its seven bucks. That's how much X-Men was, and for that movie, that was eight bucks too much. But hell, at least me and my boy got the whole theater to ourselves. Pleased

quote:
I absolutely loved Batman Begins. I even thought it should have been nominated for Best Picture last year. What the heck was the Academy thinking? I even thought director Christopher Nolan was overlooked for a Director's Guild Award for his outstanding work on the movie.

Batman Begins was a good movie, and it did kick ass. But I'm seriously hoping that you were kidding or that there is a huge amount of hidden sarcasm in that "should have been nominated for Best Picture" line that I'm obviously missing. No offense, but Batman Begins last year was the Best Picture of the summer, not the whole damn year. It was a summer movie, and those aren't usually Oscar quality films. The best picture last year was Crash, hands down. Leave Crash alone and let enjoy its Best Picture win!

Also, I agree that Christopher Nolan did do a very good directing job with Batman and brought that franchise back to respectably after that one dude (I'm not sayin' his name) nullified it with Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. But last year, Ang Lee had a hold on the directing game.

quote:
Superman Returns is probably a good "popcorn" film but I get the feeling that it won't really reach the classic status of the Christopher Reeve "Superman".

Agreed, and well put Gummibear. I don't think anybody is expecting that as well. At least, they shouldn't put their hopes that high because they are going to get a rude awakening if they are. But I think everyone is just glad that Superman is finally back on the silver screen after like around 20 years.

Also, I just found out that Eva Marie Saint is playing Martha Kent. So that's cool, and reassuring seeing an actor from the old days of good ol' cinema.
Peace.
Nine Kuze 07-14-2006 07:54 PM
Damn double posts...

Anyway, I just recently got back from watching 'Superman Returns' and on scale from one to four, I give the film three stars (***). Meaning, it was a straight flick.

With the positives, the visual effects were top-notch incredible (I thinkin' Oscar nom), Bosworth definetly did much better than I thought she would do as did Kevin Spacey because I was afraid this movie would make him look like crap, which it didn't. Supporting cast did their thing and Routh was alright the newest Man of Steel.

What I didn't like was the cinematography for the most part. In the plane and boat sequences, I understand the sense of realism (My new favorite thing to say now) by having the camera move around like it was in that situation to give the audience that feel too. But where a number of films usually pull this off with no problem or its just bearable, S.Returns with that technique was sort of unfortumable to watch and at times, rather annoying. Also, the movie (which was I think around 2 hours and around 30 minutes) was dragged out to the point where the main plot wasn't clearly known a full hour into the movie. Other things, such as Parker Posey's (Kitty) car sequence, the city beig ruined and other things like that dragged on a little too long and with tighter editing, it could have been better.

And the main thing that really annoys me is that for around the last 45 minutes, Clark Kent just about (or literally actually) disappears and no one even mentions him or there's no notion that anyone even remembers that he's there in the movie. I know the focus is Super, but there would be no Ol' Boy in Blue without any Clark Kent. Also, how clearly Super and Lex didn't even met each other for a HUGE chunk of the movie. It wsa almost to the point where you can almost forget there was a rivalry between the two. And also, it was weird watching Super get kicked around like that by Lex's thugs. An icon in the mud, but that was good directing from Singer.

Also, with the kid (Spoiler Time):
spoiler (highlight to read):
It seemed obvious after a while that he was Superman's son. Hell, if you watched the first two movies from '78 and '80, then it still would have been obvious. In the second Superman movie, Superman and Lois sleep together and before this movie began, Superman has been gone for five years. And guess how old the kid is?

I also liked Luthor's reaction to the kid and damn, did you hear that checklist James Mardsen ran down with what's wrong with the kid. All I remember was asthema but there were four others that affected the kids health as well.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on the movie. And like I said, it was a straight flick.
Peace.
David Ryder 07-14-2006 07:59 PM
I thought it was a good a movie. It wasn't the greatest but it was a fun film.