"Animation: East meets West" (video)

evanASF27 05-24-2006 09:15 PM
ANIMATION: "East meets West"
(**WARNING** --> 72MB in size)

Well since I put about 20 hours of work into this puppy, I figured I'd let the rest of the masses see my work. Cool My cinema class was given an assignment last week to create either:
1) A video parody of a movie (from a given a selection)
2) pick a movie, watch it through, and pick your favorite scene and make a posterboard about it.

Well, I was able to convince my teacher a few months ago (yah, that far back) to let me explore and possibly do a paper on Japanese animation (since she had no clue what the hip-cool-'iPod carrying'-youngsters were into Neutral ), so for this project I sidestepped what everyone else was doin and did my own thing. The link above is to the result of the only 20 free hours I had during that whole week (all of it being on Sunday and part of Monday evening Sweatdrop 25hrs if you count the 5 more I spent trying to fix the audio and video being suicidally out of synch.). I had a lot of ideas for what I wanted to do in this video, but due to time restraints and me not wanting my class (which I was to present this to) to think of me as a complete geek (some aren't very understanding Oh Well ) I was forced to keep it to the bare minimum. There are a couple of points where I think the video crawls along...but it's usually in the more educational bits (which were made specifically for pleasing the teacher)...aside from the video, for what I was able to accomplish, is pretty good imo Smile

Enjoy! [Same link as above]

What's in this video:
-- A look at the 2 most popular forms of animation: American cartoons & Japanese animation ('anime')
-- a very brief overview of the "American cartoon" style by looking at prime examples of the genre
-- an overview (slightly in detail) of the general artistic characteristics of "Anime"
-- the dispelling of 2 widespread misconceptions of Anime
-- A brief discussion of a major turning point in the history of animation

What wasn't in the video but could have been had it been an hour special on the History Channel:
-- An explanation (planned to be brief) of what animation IS
-- dispelling of a few more misconceptions of Anime
-- History of some major milestones in American/Western Animation (including first theatrical animation, original purpose of cartoon shorts, and Disney)
-- History of some major milestones in Japanese Animation (including AKIRA, Miyazaki films, and the switch to computer aided animation)
-- excluding the one used in the 13 minutes presentation, examples of "The Best" of Japanese and American animatio
-- Recent "fusion" series combining the flair of Anime into American cartoons to exploit the growing audience of Anime (Ex.: Samurai Jack, Totally Spies, Loonatics)
-- Longer (and more proper) opening credits utilizing clips from the openings of Pink Panther films [intended as a spoof]
Generalissimo D 05-24-2006 09:55 PM
Hi ho, hi ho, to the Nightingale this goes.

quote:
Totally Spies

That's french, ya know.
evanASF27 05-24-2006 10:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by D-Boy
quote:
Totally Spies

That's french, ya know.

*shrug* Oh well Roll Eyes Good thing I hadn't included that example in a finished product, huh? Embarrassed Sweatdrop

And I'm not sure if this is Nightingale-worthy. That section is for fan-works...this isn't really a "fan-work" since it's not really specific to a show but more to animation in general. (And I'm not a newbie, I can comprehend "I think this might have been better posted in the Nightingale Section" just fine)

Oh and before I hit the hay....did you watch the video and if so what didja think of it? Cool
Tickle Tickle 05-25-2006 04:45 PM
quote:
That's french, ya know.

It was animated by a French company, however I do believe it's an American production. (like how alot of American cartoons are animated by Korean companies)

Evan, I wasn't able to open the video. Before the page could fully load, it started to re-directed me to an Ebay auction...

Is there anyway you could upload this on oh say, Youtube?
Generalissimo D 05-25-2006 05:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Umino
quote:
That's french, ya know.

It was animated by a French company, however I do believe it's an American production. (like how alot of American cartoons are animated by Korean companies)

...No.

Anyway, your delivery was quite good. Tone of voice was alright, and the only thing awkward was you were staring at the camera a little too intensily.

It felt rushed. If you could have added those things you didn't get to and slowed down your speaking, it would have been much better.

Also, the whole explanation of hentai difference sounded a bit confusing.

Overall, it's alright.

And I say take it to the Nightingale because it falls in that little gray area between this forum and that, with it being homemade and all. Plus, that board needs some more loving.
evanASF27 05-25-2006 05:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Umino
Evan, I wasn't able to open the video. Before the page could fully load, it started to re-directed me to an Ebay auction...

Is there anyway you could upload this on oh say, Youtube?

Personally I'd rather not upload it to Youtube or any other site like that. If you get an ad. like that again, there should be a link in the upper righthand corner of the page saying "Continue to Megaupload". If that isn't the case, just refresh and try again.

quote:
Also, the whole explanation of hentai difference sounded a bit confusing.

I had to be very careful with how I was to explain it, so I treaded lightly over that area. My class isn't the most mature and I didn't want the teacher to think I was more fixated on that than the major topic of the video.
Hobodoken 05-25-2006 07:28 PM
So... long...

attention span... waning...

From what I saw before being distracted, and then un-distracting myself and posting, your speaking seemed a bit... quargly.

Small, mistake-like things, and some of the dialouge just irked me.

EDIT: After starting again, then getting hungry, trying again, and then misplacing my Fritos...

You seem way to serious. I'm being totally cereal.

You also seem very defensive of anime.