[Other] Story: The Canvas

Inigo Montoya 05-23-2006 09:50 AM
I sat in my room that night, splashing a rainbow palette against canvas, a Technicolor blood splatter raining against the paper. I poured my anger onto the paper, my despair and my confusion.

Stripes and spots scattered across the once pristine canvas, a dark reflection of the world today hidden in the smears. I scowled as I continued, feeding my grief and rage until it felt as though it would burst forth. If I continued this painting, this stain on my world and consciousness, that hatred would consume me.

What made it worse was I didn’t even care. All I cared about was the red, the black, and the sickly green. No more blue, no more yellow, no more white. Right now all I saw were ill shades of green, the red of human viscera, the ashen grey of still pallor, and the deepest shades of black.

Then my sister walked into my room, interrupting my violent reverie. Wandering in, she plunked herself down in my lap and smiled, a large toothy grin that enveloped her face. “What are you doing?” she asked me. I smiled lightly as I heard the lisp in her voice, caused by one of her front teeth missing.

“Just painting,” I said, “that’s all.” She looked at me somewhat blankly, then at the canvas.

“I like it. It has a pretty pattern,” she said, and I noticed what I hadn’t before. There was indeed a pattern to all of it; places where the dark paints had not touched, leaving pristine white. It was a slight, subtle appearance, that I might not have noticed the first time through, but it was there nonetheless. “But,” she drawled, “it’s missing something.” Then, taking the brush from my hands, she swirled the brush in the paint, reached up, and slowly and painstakingly painted a pink smiley face off to one side of the painting. “That’s better now, isn’t it?” And with that, she bounced off my lap and went to play with her dolls.

Much better, I though, but it could be improved one more time. So then I, too, swirled the brush in the paint and, still smiling, brought it up and painted a blue smiley face next to hers.

After all, everything is better with the right company.
Chitter-Box-Kat 05-23-2006 03:19 PM
DAW! Isn't it amazing what little kids do? Those little phrases, the little actions, the little smiles...they can cheer up just about anybody.
Kawaii story. Big Grin
Inigo Montoya 05-30-2006 11:46 PM
I'm glad you like it, CBK!

I hope to get some more replies, but it seems this forum is the slowest. But, yeah, i's hardly one of my best writings... hmm...