Champion Horse Injured

Mr. Peabody 05-20-2006 07:44 PM
Barbaro, a Kentucky Derby champion horse, was severely injured at the beginning of this Saturday afternoon's Preakness Stakes. I'm afraid that if the horse doesn't heal, he'll be put down.

Barbaro was heavily favored to win the Preakness Stakes.

http://msn.foxsports.com/horseracing/story/5624450?GTI=8192
Sharpshooter005 05-20-2006 08:01 PM
quote:
Barbaro was heavily favored to win the Preakness Stakes.

Would someones bookie have to refund them due to this, or...I don't know, is there some clause about that in the manual for illegal gaming?
Sephiroth 05-20-2006 09:32 PM
Yea, my mom told about this, since she is a big horse racing fan. She was pretty distraught, as she tends to do when she sees animals get hurt. Earlier she told me that the horse would have to be put down, as it was an injury to the back leg, which is qute serious. Though now she says that they are waiting until tommorow for any final decisions. I have not really followed this at all, so I can't validate any of that information. But it is pretty horrible for this to happen, especially since things were going so well for that horse and it's jockey.
Travis Bickle 05-21-2006 01:36 AM
That sucks. Though, look at the bright side: somebody's about to get a very expensive container of glue.
Sharpshooter005 05-21-2006 02:43 AM
Oh wow, a derby champ. I didn't read the article until just now.

I'd forgotten the derby already happened...(for some reason I momentarily thought the preakness was before the kentucky derby)
Nine Kuze 05-22-2006 07:11 PM
I read that Barbaro had successful surgery, although it took around five hours because of all the fractures the back leg had, but the horse isn't going to be put down.

And no, CT, there's not going to be any glue... in Barbaro's case anyway. Actually, I heard he's making a successful recovery, but in his case its around 50/50 for a survival rate.

quote:
Would someones bookie have to refund them due to this, or...I don't know, is there some clause about that in the manual for illegal gaming?

Put it like this... give me back my money or you won't live to see tomorrow. Which ever works best for you. Tongue
Peace.
Diverse Considerations 05-22-2006 08:34 PM
I used to live near Baltimore. We'd go to Pimlico sometimes and watch the races. It's fun.

Good to hear that the horse is doing better. If he makes it, he'll have a nice long life as a stud.
Sir Nise 05-22-2006 09:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
That sucks. Though, look at the bright side: somebody's about to get a very expensive container of glue.

ROFL!

I never found horse races that exiciting. I just like horses cuz you can ride on them. And they're pracitically Unicorns -1. And everyone knows, unicorns can and WILL impale you.

RIP Barbaro.
Mike 05-22-2006 10:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Diverse Considerations
Good to hear that the horse is doing better. If he makes it, he'll have a nice long life as a stud.

giggity giggity giggity

...anyone else remember that SNL commercial, with John Goodman's Genuine Horse Glue? All Hooves, throw out the rest of the horse!
David Ryder 05-22-2006 11:14 PM
eh, it's a horse. If they have to put him down, oh well.
Sharpshooter005 05-22-2006 11:31 PM
So...hypothetically, if it dies...and you eat some of the meat...then you should, one would think, gain some of its raw speed and agility.

I see no way in which this plan couldn't work.

quote:
Put it like this... give me back my money or you won't live to see tomorrow

Usually its the bookie breaking legs, but thats an interesting take on the situation.
Fujiko 05-25-2006 03:40 AM
quote:
Barbaro's owners had an insurance policy that they could have cashed in — for perhaps millions of dollars — had they decided to euthanize the horse rather than spend their own money trying to save his life. [...] One horse breeder said that if Roy and Gretchen Jackson had decided to destroy Barbaro after he shattered his right rear leg in the Preakness Stakes, they could have simply gone to the insurance company and collected — and "there would be no questions."

I can see that msnbc is trying to make them look like bigger assholes. However, the owners are still bastards. It struck me really strange that someone would kill a horse just b/c it broke its leg.

I'm just glad the horse is recovering. It isn't fair that any horse should die for this reason.
Diverse Considerations 05-25-2006 07:01 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Fujiko
It struck me really strange that someone would kill a horse just b/c it broke its leg.

But you have to remember that you are talking about a creature that supports over half a ton of weight and spends almost all of its time standing up. If it lays down for an extended period of time, the horse's own weight will crush its internal organs. So without constant support to keep the horse upright, it'll die a slower, more agonizing death anyway.

Fortunately, veterinary medicine has improved greatly. It used to be the norm to not even give the horse a chance like this. It was common practice, in the event of a crippling injury, for them to shoot the horse on the spot. They didn't have the technology to deal with injuries so severe. It was just the way things were done.
Sharpshooter005 05-25-2006 08:52 AM
Is it wrong that when I read about collecting the insurance money, all I could think of is that sopranos storyline where ralph burns down the stables for insurance, then later
spoiler (highlight to read):
gets beaten to death in his kitchen by Tony
?

Because...that is honestly where my mind went immidiately.
dancinggummi88 05-31-2006 07:22 AM
that sucks.......i hope they could do something
pen1300 05-31-2006 07:44 PM
I heard the other day they took his cast off to check how he's healing. I assume he's doing well since I haven't heard much else about it.

Horsey Abulence. I still get a kick out of it. I would have loved to have seen it go by.

He survives this, he's got an easy life ahead of him.

Later,
Pen1300
Mr. Peabody 01-29-2007 12:08 PM
I'm sorry to report that Barbaro was put down this Monday morning. Crying

A Kentucky Derby winner, Barbaro broke his right rear ankle at the Preakness last May. He had gone through several surgeries to repair the break, but it never healed properly.

http://msn.foxsports.com/horseracing/sto...NHPHCP&GT1=9012