Neon Genesis Evangelion 10th Anniversarry Box Set

R.Smith 05-17-2006 03:33 PM
Source: Diamond Comics Previews

New DVD Set to Include Many ExtrasAccording to Diamond, ADV will release a Neon Genesis Evangelion 10th Anniversarry Box Set, with a deluxe case and a "plethora of commemorative items".

Although details are still unclear about all the extras, we've confirmed the set will include a limited edition jacket (an original item not available anywhere else), a copy of one of the Evangelion manga (ADV released Evangelion: Angelic Days, Viz released Neon Genesis Evangelion (manga)) and many video extras. More details about other extras are expected soon.

The set will retail for $249.98 and is scheduled for release on August 22, 2006.
David Ryder 05-17-2006 05:14 PM
All right! ADV is releasing Eva, for the 50th time! But with slightly more extras, which are sure to included Voice actor commentary, so we can hear Spike Spencer and Matt Greenfield talk about what Eva was like dubbing for the 50th time.
ScionofDestiny 05-17-2006 06:40 PM
MORE EVANGELION STUFF? HOT DOG!!!

Just kidding.

... but you know? Not really.

UH - well, I'll admit the constant releasings of Evangelion can be quite wearing, but the audio enhancement for the Platinum rockeddddddd ...

Anyway, I already own the volume 1 of Angelic Days, and I wouldn't buy a jacket of Evangelion before I could buy all of the models /:

SO - I'll probably be sitting this one out.

ALRIGHT - if they actually add some meaningful insight of the plot that was left out at Anno's insistence, tell me about it and I will buy it immediately. Otherwise, I have no reason to buy it.
Raven 05-17-2006 07:19 PM
Just after I bough all of the Platinum DVD's too... Oh well, it sounds too expensive anyway.
Randolph 05-17-2006 07:22 PM
Were it half that price, I might possibly invest. I've never seen Eva though, so I'm not certain if even then it would be worth it.
Nine Kuze 05-17-2006 07:38 PM
That is too much money... even for Misato. Big Grin

Anyway, like others, the anime is alright and all but I'm feeling the manga much more. Its just technically better in my book.

quote:
I've never seen Eva though, so I'm not certain if even then it would be worth it.

Nah, you ain't missing much. Just some dysfunctional with biosynthetic mechas trying to save the world from the Apocalypse.

I mean, really, really dysfunctional kids.
Peace.
ScionofDestiny 05-17-2006 09:05 PM
I think that is undervaluing Evangelion. Whether you look at it from a film, scientific, or theological perspective, it is still a groundbreaking piece of work.

Enough so that professors find value in analyzing it. Evangelion is pretty groundbreaking for anime. Twelve-million people went to see the End of Evangelion at it's debut.

A blockbuster movie generally get's sixty million - twelve million for an anime is highly impressive. I just hope the live-action Evangelion movie is better than Aeon Flux.

Not that Aeon Flux is bad, it was just uh ... less than rock stellar (?)

ANYWAY, EVANGELION IS:

I guess you could call it an alternative history, but it wasn't when it came out - Evangelion was released in 1995, but the story begins in 2015 and flashes back to 2000.

Giant metetor collided with earth, making the Second Impact, causing the Valentine War which ended when all nations agreed to rejoin the United Nations. The world in the future seems to be more centrally governed, with countries taking the place of states and the United Nations taking the place of federal governments.

Half of humanity was wiped out - that old chestnut, you know. A new weapon called the N2 (N to the second power) was formed to take the place of nuclear weapons.

Moving on, it turns out that a meteor might not have been responsible for the Second Impact. Giant, "alien" (not really) beings codenamed "Angels" (in Japan it was the "Apostles") have began attacking the world. Now NERV (German for "nerve") has designed biomechanical weapons called the "Evangelions" to oppose the Angels.

From the beginning, Evangelion might seem like a classic mecha with light religious symbolism, but it actually evolves beyond that and becomes a psychological thriller-mystery with major scientific, religious, and historical symbolism. Personally, I liked the constant alludements to WWII.

Most people lobby Evangelion as one of the greatest animes of all time, but then ... somebody says that about almost every anime. Statistics speak for themselves, however.

Initially, Evangelion was aired to be viewed at an hour for kids but they hated it because they couldn't understand it. It was reaired at an hour for adults. This route proved effective, as it brought millions of adults (of the first and second generation of anime watchers) who had grown bored with anime as they got older back into the fold.

SO - Evangelion wasn't made for kiddies or people who don't enioy scientific or theological thought. Likewise, it isn't for people who don't like depth in their popular culture. Other than that, the anime can range from "best ever" to "acceptable but the ending could have used a little work" - a mind set common in many anime endings.

... Chrono Crusade ... Fullmetal ... Alchemist ...

Well, I generally like the manga better anyway.
Nine Kuze 05-19-2006 04:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ScionofDestiny
I think that is undervaluing Evangelion.

That was kind of the point, bruh.

That's just a very quick defintion of Evangelion, if you don't think that its the greatest anime of all time (Cowboy Bebop in my book) and look past all the religious references and see all the technical, storyline, and editing problems that go all along with it (Mostly in this case, that's Asuka).

I'm not knocking Evangelion but its just not my favorite anime EVER.

Still, that's way too much for Misato.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 05-19-2006 05:31 PM
quote:
I think that is undervaluing Evangelion. Whether you look at it from a film, scientific, or theological perspective, it is still a groundbreaking piece of work.

I can understand how people get burned out on it. For alot of people (okay this is really just me probably) it was the first anime they ever really saw. Thats..indirectly why I'm even here, the first anime related forum I was ever on was the now defunct evangelion.com.

And after..years of hearing people dissect it and rave about it, myself and pretty much everyone I'm aware of (internet and otherwise) begin to get tired of it, and this leads to slighting it whenever possible.

Which is REALLY easy. As groundbreaking as it was, it can be turned into a constant source of derisive humor, I have to admit.

quote:
live-action Evangelion movie

If this is even made..and I'm not counting on that until I actually am watching some sort of teaser or trailer...it's going to be cut up heavily. It's 26 episodes, with two movies, to fit that into a two or even three hour movie it needs to be heavily altered.

Which will probably piss alot of people off..but...really, what could you expect? It's just something thats a necessity to even make that movie.
Nine Kuze 05-19-2006 05:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
Which is REALLY easy. As groundbreaking as it was, it can be turned into a constant source of derisive humor, I have to admit.

Which will probably piss alot of people off..but...really, what could you expect? It's just something thats a necessity to even make that movie.

Derisive humor such as the infamous Asuka mind-rape scene. Damn, even thinking about that makes me laugh uncontrollably inside.

quote:
If this is even made..and I'm not counting on that until I actually am watching some sort of teaser or trailer...it's going to be cut up heavily. It's 26 episodes, with two movies, to fit that into a two or even three hour movie it needs to be heavily altered.

True dat, but I think Evangelion has enough material to draw a pretty well made trilogy franchise from it. Although I have to agree that some of the plot would seriously have to be changed for a movie adaption, such as the end of... well, just the end of Evangelion period. Doesn't matter if its the movies, the series, or hell, even the manga.
Peace.
ScionofDestiny 05-19-2006 10:43 PM
I have seen some concept sketches for Asuka, Rei, and Shinji in their plug suits.

They are um ... if they hold true to what they say, will use Japanese and German actors - so that is a plus.

Asuka was drawn with red hair, but Rei had black hair. That kind of upset me, but there is a chance they will go out of their way to fix it before filmiing.

"Checks watch" it probably won't be out until around 2010 - if my sources are correct.

Bear in mind this is a massive project. To say the least, some of the brilliant minds who help Peter Jackson make Lord of the Rings are on board the project. They are pretty excited about it.

If you want to see their interview, I believe it is on the Evangelion DVD Director's Cut 21-23 - "Ressurection". They said that Lord of the Rings was the West's cultural heritage, so they weren't too worried, but that Evangelion made them nervous when asked to work on it.

I explicitly remember one of them saying "are we worthy?"

From what I hear, there is some hope. There are people on board who care about Evangelion enough to give it as good of a show as they can.

I think that we have the technology to pull off Evangelion - computer generated graphics and all that. Look at how good Gollum turned out.

Besides, who knows what leaps and bounds the technology will take in several years? Our generations stand in the midst of a technological revolution - just as our ancestors stood in the midst of the Industrial revolution. The accumulated scientific knowledge of mankind is giving way to even more absract knowledge.

THEOLOGY IN EVANGELION:

The amount of religious meaning in Evangelion is arguable. Many of the people on the project said they just thought the Jewish-Christian symbols looked cool, which was why they used them. They also said that Evangelion was more about psychology than religion. They believed people could relate to characters with personality and psychological disorders more easily than superheroes present in other anime. Underlying principles in psychology say you can't look at a list of psychological disorders and their symptoms without seeing part oif yourself.

I think that Evangelion is much more about Freudian psychology than anything else - which brings us into the Kabbalah.

Freud studied the Kabbalah (Jewish mysticism). Kabbalahic symbols appear on Gendou Ikari's office. Moreover, the overall feel of Evangelion seems more Jewish than Christian, what with the Dead Sea Scrolls and everything.

Not to say that there isn't Christian influence. Just that it takes second place as far as symbols go.

RIGHT - anyway, the conclusion:

Evangelion is probably more about biology, physics, metaphysics (possibly), computer science, genetics, psychology (mostly Freudian), and philosophy than religious symbolism. In fact, it seems much more likely than not that SEELE just uses religion as a means of boosting their sense of mission ... a trait common among many secret societies and organizations.

There are those troublesome Dead Sea Scrolls to consider, but other than that it seems like religion really was just there to reinforce the plot.

Symbols play an important part in both the psyche and biological processes of human beings. It is just supposed to be there to reinforce an idea that was already present.

UGH - it is worth noting that the manga seems a little more preachy than the anime. The anime was mostly just interested in psychological attacks.

COWBOY BEBOP:

Cowboy Bebop gets way more credit than it deserves in my opinion. I once went as far to call it sub-par.

I reavaluated my hasty statement in light of new revelations, but the anime still seems very above average - and nothing more.

I don't know what exactly rubbed me the wrong way. I thought they had a good thing going with the "mob" and "archetypical dark hero" (Spike) and that they should have gone a little more with that and a little less on the off subject, almost episodic nature the show ultimately seemed to take.

I guess the characters annoyed me as much as Evangelion's annoyed other people. They seemed very static and stagnant - they almost never changed their attitudes, and when they did it was never enough. I never particularily liked their attitudes to begin with either. It was like the directors just put their hands in a bag of old character archetypes and pulled out the lucky five that made up the "26 second" union of team bebop.

UH - but I guess that is modern pop culture for you.
Sharpshooter005 05-19-2006 11:27 PM
quote:
Asuka was drawn with red hair, but Rei had black hair. That kind of upset me, but there is a chance they will go out of their way to fix it before filmiing.

I remember those, I remember the outcry over misato's drawing looking like a rejected planet of the apes character.

Really I think all that would remain from those sketches to the film would be the actual design of the suits. They haven't done any casting yet.

Also...yeah how are they going to do the blue hair thing and not have it look idiotic. The albino thing...maybe, makeup can do that. But if they just pop a blue wig on somebody it'll look idiotic.

Really...I don't much care how the people look. When you're dealing with anime styled characters, a vague approximation of the appearance is fine. The evas themselves are what I'd be more concerned with.

Also the concept drawing of the NERV control room actually looks better than the one in the show did as far as I'm concerned. The holographic...map thing or whatever in the middle was nice.

quote:
I think that we have the technology to pull off Evangelion - computer generated graphics and all that.

Yeah. I'll be interested to see how WETA handles this. I'm wondering if they'll try to do some big massive army manuver scene since...well...judging by the lord of the rings movies that almost seems like a trademark (they could actually make one and have it fit the show, if the script somehow includes the final battle from EOE they could have some massive force of JSSDF troops marching off to their eventual death maybe)

quote:
Just that it takes second place as far as symbols go.

Well yeah, it's sort of hard to miss when you have the massive diagram of the tree of life (I think?) on the floor of Gendo's office...also apparently the placement of his desk on a specific part of said diagram had some kind of meaning, but I honestly can't remember what it is right now.

quote:
I guess the characters annoyed me as much as Evangelion's annoyed other people. They seemed very static and stagnant - they almost never changed their attitudes, and when they did it was never enough. I never particularily liked their attitudes to begin with either. It was like the directors just put their hands in a bag of old character archetypes and pulled out the lucky five that made up the "26 second" union of team bebop.

They suited the general theme of the show well enough. Except for Ed...that was a really horrible filler character I always thought, the "comedic relief" scenes involving her seemed really out of place somehow. They could have gotten some comedy in there in a less...well, yeah, obnoxious way.

I'll probably be crucified by someone for saying that, but..it's true.

quote:
Damn, even thinking about that makes me laugh uncontrollably inside

Exactly. I'm fine with the idea of an entire cast of flawed characters. But theres a line where it starts to enter self-parody. A montage scene of intermittent text cards reading "menstration" or...I can't remember the others right now, and scenes of suicide by hanging, set to handel's messiah....maybe theres something wrong with me, but that seems to just go so far in trying to be bleak that it winds up being mildly amusing.

edit: Apparently the series initially aired following the Aum Shinrikyo sarin gas attacks in the Tokyo subway...so...maybe the general tone of the series somehow related to that, or it was just a weird coincidence. I have no clue how long it took to make those episodes, so I'm assuming its just an odd little coincidence.
SEELE 08 05-20-2006 04:35 AM
Ugh as an Eva fan...i'm irritated they release....yet another release after they said platinum would be the last.

And ADV's extras have historicly sucked...the director and Mr. Sean Mcoy appeared to know little to nothing about Eva....grrr. Go to Eva Monkey's site for info on the existing ones, hell you can download a lot of features from the Platnitm there http://evamonkey.com/

Most of the Eva elitist, hate ADV (i'm one of them). They did a poor job on the translation and dub. Most of us feel that Amanda Winn Lee (rei's VA) just needs to die. She screwed with the translation, and added crap in at times, because she felt like it. GRR

The only reason I would purchase this new set is if...my beloved Chairman Keel Lorenz had a new scene or something...(some of his got deleted grrr, but were added back in for the Platinum...yay)

For some serious fanwanking, I reccomend.... http://animenation.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228
of lot of what's there is pure conjecutre, and some of it untrue, I reccomand just outright ignoring anything the poster named "Reichu" says....(believe me, after she came up with the idea that Keel had sexual relations with Misato's father I knew she was a whack job.)

But I'll refute a few common eva myths that irk me...because well I'm bored and can't sleep.

-Naoko Akagi's soul is not in Unit- 00...it is said that Rei's soul is within it (which is odd considiering Rei had her soul and so does Lilith...guess they can all share it than...)
-Keel Lorenz is NOT THE WANDERING JEW, there is no refrence to this withing the show, he is not Cain, Longinus, or any other ancient figure. It is clear in ep. 21 he ages normally, besides he's more mechanical than Alan Gabirel ever was (Keel is mechanical from the neck down).
ScionofDestiny 05-20-2006 11:07 AM
I read that it is doubtful that the differences between the Japanese and English dub were accidental, mainly because they had hired top-rate translators. A great deal of speculation says that Anno himself ordered the differences between the English and Japanese versions in order to represent a more dualistic nature within the show.

A good example is in the first episode. In Japan, it was called "Apostle Attack" - whereas our's was "Angel".
X Prime 05-20-2006 02:45 PM
According to Wikipedia it was specifically requested that the Angels be referred to as such, 'Angels', by Gainax. So if that's correct, there you go there.

It is worth noting that the word Angel is derived from the Latin meaning 'messenger'. Which is pretty much what apostles are in the first place.
Sharpshooter005 05-20-2006 04:29 PM
quote:
(Keel is mechanical from the neck down).

I can't really remember which episode thats mentioned in or shown or even hinted at.

Also I'd like to second your notion that keel and seele were pretty awesome.

quote:
-Naoko Akagi's soul is not in Unit- 00

Isn't her soul supposed to have been in the computer system, or it mimiced her thought processes? It's been...so incredibly long since I've watched any of this show that I can't remember.
SEELE 08 05-20-2006 06:43 PM
The movie showed that Keel was a cyborg, and supposedly the MAGI only had her personality, but who knows....
X Prime 05-20-2006 11:43 PM
Well, I'd say this much... it'd have had to have her soul in it while she was ALIVE, since if I recall the Magi were practically done while she was alive.

The only thing said was that it contained the three sides of her personality... the side of her as a scientist, the side of her as a mother, and the side of her as Gendo's who-er, a woman.
Sharpshooter005 05-20-2006 11:49 PM
quote:
The movie showed that Keel was a cyborg,

The recap one, or end of evangelion. I've only seen EOE once..and...yeah I haven't watched any of these in at least three years.

If it's death and rebirth maybe I'll go watch the dvd again because I've forgotten that part.
Volt 05-21-2006 12:12 AM
quote:

I don't know. I always thought that Eva was more perverted than anything. Sure, a lot of anime has fan service... but somewhere between the bathing scene with Shinji and the other guy (the last angel... forgot his anme) and the giant words "MENSTURATION" flashing on the screen during Asuka's "mind rape" scene...I think it just went a little too far.

And I mean, damn, the show is so depressing. Everything in it felt so hopeless and nihilistic. Like, what if Shinji saves the world? His dad doesn't even like him, Misato is always either out having sex with Kaji or crying cuz he died (OOPZ SPOILERS), Rei is retarded, and Asuka is... insane? And is it just me, or did it get old to hear Shinji having a schitzo conversation with himself and yelling "NO! I MUST PLEASE FATHER!" every other episode?

But hey, that's just me. But man.... there sure are some cool action sequences. I fast forwarded through an entire episode over and over again just to see Unit 1 crushing the infected Eva's head and seeing blood splatter all over the city. So sweet.