Microsoft Haters... Stop it.

David Ryder 05-13-2006 01:57 PM
I'd second the closing of this thread. It's already reeking of failure.
Inigo Montoya 05-13-2006 02:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
Aeon Flux the movie made Aeon Flux the series look bad. Dungeons and Dragons the movie made the entire tabeltop look bad. Silent Hill was...meh, you get the idea.

It's just a name. Not a big deal.

Correction: the D&D movie was awesome with only a minor problem in casting one of the Wayans' brothers as a main character.

Jeremy Irons as Profion was a great choice, and indeed the movie spurred sales of D&D products, which WotC was apparently almost to the point of liquifying. So, Aeon Flux and Silent Hill, House of the Dead, Resident Evil, Mario, etcetera.. yes..

D&D, no. Also, you're talking to someone who started by playing the original D&D modules left over in his dad's garage when he was eight. So, D&D is pretty big to me.
Mike 05-13-2006 02:33 PM
I've never heard of either the original Red Steel, or Pool of Radiance. As far as I know, something on either SNES or Genesis was the best-selling game of 1994. And that is a REALLY silly reason to write off an entire console that hasn't even been released yet. Plus, you know, that Nintendo doesn't make all kiddy games, which has been said by pretty much every single person who responded to this thread.

And...aside from making fun of how huge and expensive 360 is, there hasn't been very much hating on Microsoft lately.
Inigo Montoya 05-13-2006 02:59 PM
Not as far as RPG's went, Mike. TSR still controlled the roleplaying world. The few games targeted to an older audience seem to suffer the most when it comes to quality and bugs. AND I'M NOT WRITING OFF THE WII BECAUSE OF RED STEEL.

That's a twist on my words that you've done entirely yourself, Mike. I'll try the Wii, I said. I just don't see The attraction of a system because of a few games.

All the systems I bought I bought because they had at least six or seven games that I liked, or else someone else bought me the system as a gift.

I wait before I purchase every system because I cannot just go and spend 500 bucks on a new console.

The Wii may be worth it, may not. The 360 already is worth it to me. I see defending the company you like. I don't see bashing one that's just as good. I'll stop bashing the Wii, because admittedly, I haven't tried it yet. I should before I judge it.

Though that PS3 controller looks like a Batarang.
Travis Bickle 05-13-2006 05:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Venome Lord

Someone obviously doesn't pay attention to fine details like the fact that the controller was revised to look like a Dual Shock.

It seems that you only narrow in on the news stories to form a certain point of view and neglect everything else. Typical.
Sharpshooter005 05-13-2006 05:51 PM
quote:

I'm interested to see how developers will work that tilt...sensor...thing into the games. There was this interview with Kojima where he basically said "I had no clue they were dropping the vibration feature until I actually saw this at E3", and I'm figuring if they kept him out of the loop they probably kept pretty much every developer out of said loop.
Inigo Montoya 05-13-2006 05:51 PM
Okay, so now it looks like a Dual-Shock. I didn't say I wouldn't play it. Hell, I used that Genesis circle thing back when it came out, and that one controller glove. I'll try anything once.

I didn't even see that news release. I hardly narrow myself deliberatley to form a certain point of view, and certainly not at the expense of neglecting other information.

Atypical.
Generalissimo D 05-13-2006 07:16 PM
You know, that link at the top of my sig?

It leads to a YTMND featuring the new controller.

So yeah.

They dropped the vibro-function thanks to that lawsuit they had.
Sharpshooter005 05-13-2006 10:50 PM
HEY! A COMPANY TRIED TO IMITATE A SUCCESSFUL MOVE ON THE PART OF ITS COMPETITOR! GET THEM, THEY'RE TRYING TO INCREASE SHAREHOLDER DIVIDENDS!

Seriously. I don't get the level of internet rage I'm seeing over this.

quote:

Also I'd been meaning to ask...yeah, what went on there? I'm completely out of the loop I guess.

quote:
In a discussion about the upcoming plans for Sony's PlayStaytion Portable device

Their plans aside from "we'll release a silent hill and a non-card based metal gear solid game on the PSP, and actually make people who never previously considered the thing start to question themselves and their spending habits"

They're tearing me apart from the inside and I know they're loving every minute of it.
Generalissimo D 05-13-2006 10:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
HEY! A COMPANY TRIED TO IMITATE A SUCCESSFUL MOVE ON THE PART OF ITS COMPETITOR! GET THEM, THEY'RE TRYING TO INCREASE SHAREHOLDER DIVIDENDS!

quote:

Also I'd been meaning to ask...yeah, what went on there? I'm completely out of the loop I guess.

From what I read, Sony flat out lost. And they chose not to pay liscensing fee's for whatever the f*** they were using, so here we get the tilt thingy.

Read the latter part of that on an interview with big people in Sony and Nintendo. I'll post the link as soon as I find it.

edit: Here it be

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2006/05...views_with.html
Krang 05-14-2006 02:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by The Venome Lord
But while I enjoy the classic stylings of the games I loved when I was ten and back, I no longer enjoy those kinds of games, nor do I find enjoyment in yet another Mario Party incarnation.

Then don't play them. Like I said, nobody is forcing you to, so if you want nothing more to do with Nintendo, you have the option of completely ignoring them. Whatever you do decide, though, please have the decency and maturity to stop trolling, especially about games that you haven't played yet (some of which don't even have titles yet) on a console that won't be released for at least another 6 months.

quote:
I love some of those as well (except the music games... hrnn.). It's just that I feel perhaps that I want games aimed at me. Tastes change as you age (typically), and I no longer want to play "Super Fuzzy Kootchie Catcha" on any system. A game doesn't need to be violent with mandataroy breast and panty shots to be appealing to me, but it can at least be further up to my level

There's a big difference between preschool-level games (like some sort of Barney, Teletubbies, or Sesame Street game) and games for all ages (like Mario, Tetris, Zelda, etc.), and the majority of Nintendo games fall into the second category. In most cases, those games are easy enough to pick up and play for younger gamers, yet they have a good level of difficulty for older gamers. And with the rating "Everyone," those games are aimed at you, but they also happen to be aimed at people older and younger than you.

But again, people who can't enjoy those games and resort to labeling them as "kiddy games" are most likely the same people who are overly self-conscious about what other people think about what games they play, either because they want to boast about it to others or because they want to reassure themselves that they are "too mature" to play those games. Either way, those people are pretty much wasting their time with video games.

quote:
every single puzzle game I've played recently, I've been able to beat in no time flat. That doesn't give much in replay value.

I'm not sure what kind of puzzle games you're playing, but in the ones I'm referring to (e.g. Tetris, Puyo Puyo, Panel de Pon, Puzzle Bobble, etc.), the main goal isn't really to "beat" the game, it's simply to play it, and there are almost always several different modes of play to provide extra replay value.

quote:
It's not so much that I won't try it (just like I tried that lightsaber game), my only true complaint is the licensing, because Red Steel from TSR was an amazing and enjoyable game, and I hope they at least dealt with that. And if they did, then this new Red Steel better be every bit as good, if not better than the original Red Steel.

Fair enough, but I still don't see why that would cause you to judge it as being "sub-par" before playing it.
088nd 05-14-2006 11:36 AM
quote:

One word. Fanboy-ism. That's practically all this thread is.
Patsai 05-15-2006 10:58 AM
quote:

I don't think it's imitation as far as Sony [and it's fan] claiming to have come up with an idea they stole and calling it their own. Sony revealed their controller secret like this: "We can hide it no longer. Our controller has motion sensitivity!" or something like that. Nintendo shrugged it off [and its fans should as well] by saying "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." Sony and Microsoft did praise Nintendo during E3 by agreeing with the fact that "The Wii will be the second console choice in households after [console that company built]".

Seriously, both companies did praise.
Wazpy 05-20-2006 08:07 PM
I don't like X-box more than Nintendo or Sony. I'm sorry that I'm such a terrible person.

I play Halo and DoAU all the time, but that's not enough to make me like the system. It's focused more on graphics than gameplay. Look at the crappy 360 control if you need proof. They put start right next to the X button so that people with wide fingers can hit it by accident every two seconds and the D-pad seems to point up everytime you try to move left or right (DoA4 is the only place where this matters probably). Did anyone even playtest it for more than 3 minutes?
Sharpshooter005 05-20-2006 08:22 PM
I don't own an x-box, but...I'm familiar enough with it from playing halo with other people that I'll have to disagree with the controller thing. I've always thought it was pretty good, again I can only judge from one specific game...frankly I'd go so far as to say its better than the dualshock at least for an FPS

(Still behind a keyboard+mouse I think, but I'm awful at any first person game using a controller of any form)

quote:
I think the only truely sucky game I've come across on N64 (I'm so behind the times ;_; ) is "Hey, You Pikachu"...that truely sucked beyond reason

I have to ask if anybody here has played the superman N64 game. I'm constantly hearing how it redefined bad, but I'd be interested to hear from someone who played it and didn't write a probably hyperbolic internet entry on some top 10 list of bad games.
Volt 05-21-2006 12:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Wazpy
I don't like X-box more than Nintendo or Sony. I'm sorry that I'm such a terrible person.

I play Halo and DoAU all the time, but that's not enough to make me like the system. It's focused more on graphics than gameplay. Look at the crappy 360 control if you need proof. They put start right next to the X button so that people with wide fingers can hit it by accident every two seconds and the D-pad seems to point up everytime you try to move left or right (DoA4 is the only place where this matters probably). Did anyone even playtest it for more than 3 minutes?

Huh...I really like the 360 controller. I never noticed the buttons being too close together or anything, but I guess I've never had oversized thumbs, so y'know.... diff'rent strokes. The one thing that pisses me off about both Xbox controllers. The D-Pad. So unresponsive and useless. In Oblivion, I'll be trying to switch weapons, and get I'll massacred because I have to hold the damn thing down for 5 seconds for it to register. But otherwise, I think the 360 controller is almost perfect. If they just out the 360 analog sticks on the DualShock, that's be, like... delicious.
The Big Finale 05-21-2006 03:08 AM
quote:
I have to ask if anybody here has played the superman N64 game. I'm constantly hearing how it redefined bad, but I'd be interested to hear from someone who played it and didn't write a probably hyperbolic internet entry on some top 10 list of bad games.

[raises hand]

Unfortunately, I had a lapse of logic long enough to make the horrific mistake of actually renting that game.

I played it for exactly two minutes - couldn't even make it through the tutorials at the start before I was totally fed up and slammed the thing back into the case.
Wazpy 05-21-2006 10:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by The Big Finale
quote:

[raises hand]

Unfortunately, I had a lapse of logic long enough to make the horrific mistake of actually renting that game.

I played it for exactly two minutes - couldn't even make it through the tutorials at the start before I was totally fed up and slammed the thing back into the case.

I played it. It wasn't that bad. It's just one of those bland, unispired games. I don't understand why people chose it to be labeled one of the worst games ever. There's millions just like it.
Randolph 05-21-2006 11:16 AM
I contend that Chuck Rock was worse. That, or the SNES Alien 3 game, for sheer monotony.
SEELE 08 05-21-2006 11:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Randolph
I contend that Chuck Rock was worse. That, or the SNES Alien 3 game, for sheer monotony.

Nothing could be worse than the Ephemereal Phantasia game for PS2. Nothing.