Super Smash Brothers: Brawl announced. NOW WITH: Video

Generalissimo D 05-11-2006 06:47 AM
Nintendo Wiin!
Inigo Montoya 05-11-2006 10:17 AM
The game is just "meh" to me so far. At least until I can feel how the controls work... And if it turns out to be completely 3d (like the new MK games or the new KoF game, or the new SF game...), then it will likely be more meh, just really, really pretty.
Travis Bickle 05-11-2006 10:22 AM
quote:
Originally posted by The Venome Lord
The game is meh.... so far until I can feel how the controls work... And if it turns out to be completely 3d (like the new MK games or the new KoF game, or the new SF game...), then it will likely be more meh, just really, really pretty.

Every traditional fighter (basically the ones you named) has had loose movement on the x and y axis, with stiff movement on the Z axis (you know how hard it is to sidestep in Tekken or Mortal Kombat?). It didn't even dawn on me that SSBM has no movement on the Z axis whatsoever up until a long time after I got the game. Why? Because it's a fun game. It doesn't matter if you could move toward or away from the screen. That doesn't make or break the game.
Patsai 05-11-2006 10:24 AM
Solid Snake? I'm in!
The Big Finale 05-11-2006 10:31 AM
3-D Smash Bros. would be a little weird, but it wouldn't ruin the game. Not by a long shot. And I'd wager that the controls are probably going to be all-but identical to the previous games.

[listens to the new theme]

Oh man. This is gonna rock so hard. D-Boy nailed it.
Inigo Montoya 05-11-2006 10:43 AM
Since every 3d fighter so far has had stiff Z-axis movement, I doubt that SB3 will be any different. However, I'll give it a whirl.

1 good game is not enough reason to buy a console, however, which is why I ade sure that Microsoft had at least 4 games that piqued my interest before I began considering getting a 360.

Wii and Smash Bros. just doesn't cut it for me.
Patsai 05-11-2006 02:02 PM
Here's a partial game list for the Wii.

Activision - Tony Hawk’s Downhill Jam™, Marvel™ - Ultimate Alliance, Call of Duty® 3
AQ Interactive - Boxing Action
Atari - Dragon Ball Z Budokai: Tenkaichi 2
Atlus - Trauma Center: Second Opinion
BANPRESTO - Family Action Game
Buena Vista Games - Disney’s Chicken Little: Ace in Action, Disney’s Meet the Robinsons
Capcom - Resident Evil series
D3Publisher - SIMPLE series, Original Action Game
Eidos - Title TBD
Electronic Arts - Madden NFL ’07, Medal of Honor Airborne
EPOCH - Title TBD
From Software - Action Game
Genki - Title TBD
HUDSON SOFT - BOMBERMAN LAND, Flight Game
JALECO - Title TBD
KOEI - Sengoku Action
Konami Digital Entertainment - Soccer Game, Elebits
Majesco - Bust-A-Move Revolution
Marvelous Interactive - BOKUJO MONOGATARI, Heroes, KAWA NO NUSHITSURI, Original Simulation
Mastiff - Mr. D. Goes to Town (working title)
Midway Games - Happy Feet, The Ant Bully
MILESTONE - New Action Game, New Vertical Scroll Shooting Game
MTO - SAN-X All-star Revolution, Character Action Game
NAMCO BANDAI Games - FINAL FURLONG, Mobile Suit GUNDAM, SD GUNDAM G BREAKER, DIGIMON, ONE PIECE UNLIMITED ADVENTURE, New Action Game, New RPG, TAMAGOTCHI, Title TBD
Natsume (developed by Marvelous) - Harvest Moon
Nintendo - Disaster: Day of Crisis™, Excite Truck™, Fire Emblem™, Metroid® Prime 3: Corruption, Project H.A.M.M.E.R. ™, Super Mario® Galaxy, The Legend of Zelda®: Twilight Princess, WarioWare™: Smooth Moves, Wii Sports
SEGA - Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz, SONIC WILD FIRE
SNK - Metal Slug Anthology
Spike - Necro-Nesia, Jawa
SQUARE ENIX - CODENAME: FINAL FANTASY® CRYSTAL CHRONICLES: Crystal Bearers™, DRAGON QUEST SWORDS™: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors™
TAITO - Turn IT around!!, Let’s go by train!, Cooking Mama -Cooking with International Friends-
TECMO - Super Swing Golf PANGYA
The Game Factory - Title TBD
THQ - Avatar: The Last Airbender, SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab, Disney/Pixar Cars
TOMY - Action Game, Battle Action
Ubisoft - Open Season, Rayman Raving Rabbids, RED STEEL
Vivendi Universal Games - Title TBD
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment - Title TBD
Generalissimo D 05-11-2006 03:57 PM
Wrong thread, Patsai.
Jstar136 05-11-2006 05:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
quote:
Originally posted by The Venome Lord
The game is meh.... so far until I can feel how the controls work... And if it turns out to be completely 3d (like the new MK games or the new KoF game, or the new SF game...), then it will likely be more meh, just really, really pretty.

Every traditional fighter (basically the ones you named) has had loose movement on the x and y axis, with stiff movement on the Z axis (you know how hard it is to sidestep in Tekken or Mortal Kombat?). It didn't even dawn on me that SSBM has no movement on the Z axis whatsoever up until a long time after I got the game. Why? Because it's a fun game. It doesn't matter if you could move toward or away from the screen. That doesn't make or break the game.

I read somewhere that for SSBB that you can use the Gamecube controller too. The goodness never ends! Crying
Cecil XIX 05-11-2006 05:55 PM
As awesome as Snake is, I think I'm more excited about MetaKnight. Anyone of who's played Kirby Superstar knows what I mean.

'Course, if Snake's in, who's to say we won't see Sonic?...
The Big Finale 05-11-2006 06:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cecil XIX

And heck, if that annoying hedgehog can nab a spot, why can't the glorious and brilliant DR. EGGMAN get one as well?

...but yes. Meta Knight is sweet. So is Pit. And most definitely so is Wario. All three were obvious choices for inclusion from the very moment that SSBM was released without them, but I digress.

I really hope they have the sense to make that genius of speaking which has weirdness, Fawful, a playable character.
evanASF27 05-11-2006 06:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Big Finale
quote:

And heck, if that annoying hedgehog can nab a spot, why can't the glorious and brilliant DR. EGGMAN get one as well?

...the heck would Eggbutt do? Gloat the opponent to KO? Laughing
Mike 05-11-2006 08:11 PM
IGN said in an interview with Miyamoto, someone asked about Sonic and he said that the necessary negotiations are underway.

...we got Snake on the motherf***ing game!
Generalissimo D 05-11-2006 08:15 PM
quote:
As awesome as Snake is, I think I'm more excited about MetaKnight. Anyone of who's played Kirby Superstar knows what I mean.

Well, apparently Snake was supposed to be in Melee, since Kojima is f***ing awesome+nuts and wanted to do it. But even his crazy japanese ass couldn't get him in as they were too far in developing it.

OMFGKIDICARUS

WE GOT MOTHERf***ING SNAKE!
Inigo Montoya 05-11-2006 09:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Patsai
Here's a partial game list for the Wii.

[Insert standard issue Nintendo games ranging from mediocre to sub-par here]

Edited for ease of reading and further accuracy.
Big Money 05-11-2006 09:09 PM
Pssh. Haters need not reply.
Generalissimo D 05-11-2006 09:11 PM
Poking around IGN, apparently Nintendo is asking Japanese gamers who else they would like to see.

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707671p1.html

Get out your translators, people..
Inigo Montoya 05-11-2006 09:14 PM
Oh, no, I love Nintendo, and Finale knows this. I've just had it with their game production choices. I loved their games when I was nine, and now that I'm nineteen I would appreciate more games from the company I loved aimed at me. Of course, that's always been a problem with Nintendo. Also, the vast majority of their games suffer this quality pain I mentioned. Whether it be story, por translations, bad (very bad) glitches, or a system that overheats if you leave it on for more than ten minutes...

But I'm sure my kid neices will love the Wii.
Mike 05-11-2006 09:15 PM
...are you sure about that? I don't think I've seen very many glitches in games actually made by Nintendo. Third party games yeah, but first party games are generally pretty damn good. But of course every game that's ever been on a Nintendo system is just for kids. Yay sweeping generalizations.

And I thought the PS2 was the one that melted its insides if you left it on. Particularly the new, more stylish thinner one.
NVWC2006 05-11-2006 09:29 PM
*sees videos*

wow... just... HOLY CRAP

samus being my favorite character had me ROOTING on the idea of her alone, but from what i've seen, i would SO buy this.

instead of having original SSB bumpers, the same logo is now like an ultra-powerup.. and Kirby was boiling mario!

i gotta say, though, even w/improved graphics, i liked GCN Link more than this Wii Link, his face and hair make him look a bit too emo to me, but that won't keep me from buying.

i think the only section of this game where it was actually people playing and not just computers would be right before Snake comes up. the way the characters are moving around and attacking seems more like a human player... and it also looks the same as previous versions. so unless a 4th player is out there messing w/the camera angles, our fights probably won't be quite like this. or so i assume.

after samus used that large blast, her armor fell off and we had her in her Zero Suit. this may have just been a way to show her in the game, or it might have been an example of everyone... maybe anyone who grabs that powerup and uses it, is depleted of power afterward? also, makes me wonder if her Power Suit will be stronger, to make up for having a pure human her that can still fight...

when i get the money, this game is MINE.