I'm thinking about ...

ScionofDestiny 05-09-2006 12:17 PM
I'm thinking about just giving up anime and going for manga. Why? Cheaper, so you get more of it. More importantly, anime seems to have numerous unsatisfactory endings - manga does too, but not nearly so often. Like a book, the manga is usually more involved with the plot than the anime is - and that goes with my style. My imagination assimulates the information and makes sound effects that are better than any audio I've ever heard anyway.

Of course, I would still top off the series I already own - so if Big O season III were to come out, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up. Same applies to any Evangelion spin-offs they would make.

Naturally, I would still watch anime as it appears on TV. I just wouldn't buy it.
Mugiwara Luffy 05-09-2006 03:03 PM
I prefer a lot of manga to their respective anime: DBZ, Evangelion, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, and Full Metal Alchemist. Usually it's because I can control the pacing, or when I want to read. I usually miss anime when it's on TV or don't have enough money to buy it.

The only thing I really miss is the music. And color. But overall, yeah, the manga tends to be better than the anime.
ScionofDestiny 05-09-2006 06:58 PM
Book is always better than the movie applies to manga and anime as well.

Yes, well I've also taken into account the fact that buying all manga would leave me with more than enough money to buy CD's to the manga's anime - I could listen to it while I read. That would be enough.
Hobodoken 05-09-2006 07:11 PM
The book isn't always better than the movie. K-Pax is a prime example, as are the Godfather, Gone with the Wind, and Giant.

Weak books make good movies, whereas strong books often lose character development and insights when made into movies.
The Baker St. Irregular 05-09-2006 09:29 PM
Well, not all animes are based off of mangas. For example, the two best animes I've ever seen weren't based off of mangas (Cowboy Bebop and Gankutsuou). Hmm. Gankutsuou was based off a French novel... But still! It and Cowboy Bebop are extraordinary works that definitely put a lot of worth into anime. Pleased

But one big problem anime has is FILLER EPISODES. Oh, god. Currently, Naruto is suffering from an epic case of filler-itis, and I refuse to get any more of it until it gets a real story line. Mad

In the end, manga and anime are essentially two different things. They each have their own strengths and weaknesses. But yeah, one's definitely cheaper than the other. I know I couldn't choose between them, though!

[P.S. Whoo! 1300th post! Anime Smile ]