Act 19 - The Big Jokes

ScionofDestiny 05-02-2006 07:42 PM
So most people are aware that Act 18 was revenge against the Japanese audience for disliking Big O - hence the er ... "Sterotypical" portrayal of Japanese corporation and workers. Not really sterotypical but somewhere along those lines.

Anyway, the two big jokes are here ... there right here (points at head like Beck would)

Beck: The Core Memory technology - using bringing back a Megadeus in our modern times is an act of defiance against God!

To which the Japanese corporates agree - which may reflect some opposition they (Bandai) had or some favortism that was shown to newer mecha anime when it came to who got the year's budget (or airtime).

One of the main reasons people in Japan didn't like Big O was because the drawing style was considered old-fashined - blocky and thick rather than the angular perfection found it most anime.

I think this is a joke - that the designers memories of the anime from their childhood - using them to draw an old style mecha like in Big O is sinful to modern anime.

Beck: That Megadeus of yours looks so archaic.

"Archaic" means old-fashined - antiquity. They reinforce the point with this word. Moreover, Beck's Deluxe Suck-Machine (not real name but close enough) is a parody of modern mecha - like in Gundam Seed Destiny when Shinn's Impulse Gundam comes together.

So the new anime is (trying) to put Big O in it's place.

And what does Big O do? Blow it away in one fell swoop. Good bye new mecha, hello Big O!

Thus proving that the old style is just as viable as the lame new style.
Demosthenes 05-02-2006 07:48 PM
ha, I like your theories every time. . .Im becoming a fan!
David Ryder 05-02-2006 08:00 PM
act 19? I'm certain it was act 18.
Nine Kuze 05-02-2006 08:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
act 19? I'm certain it was act 18.

That's exactly what I thought as well, Gaddes. When I first came here, I was thinking "Well, the author got this one wrong. Act 19 was called Eyewitness, not The Big Jokes."

But still, its a pretty interesting thesis and it does raise some good points.
Peace.
ScionofDestiny 05-02-2006 10:04 PM
I guess just give or take an act then Big Grin - the back of the season two DVD box set is confusing because it numbers them 13-26.

I just added 5 to 13 and then ... ... ... alright, but the central argument remains unchanged.
Generalissimo D 05-02-2006 10:07 PM

They are right...just hit that little edit button.

And I never thought of it like that. Good thinking.
Dangerous 05-03-2006 04:00 AM
I did not understand anything about this episode : we see Japanese, we see a big mountain UNDER a dome , ..... Where were we ? Next to Paradigm-City, or in Japan ?
Nine Kuze 05-03-2006 04:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by samirsouleyman
I did not understand anything about this episode : we see Japanese, we see a big mountain UNDER a dome , ..... Where were we ? Next to Paradigm-City, or in Japan ?

You're still in Paradigm City, bub. I liked this episode. It has comedy, it has Beck, it has Roger being kidnapped and Dorothy doing his job, it has Beck, it has Beck's version of a fakea** Transformer, and it has that great line that Dorothy says as she does business.

"He has kidnapped the man that I work for. The man that I love."

Or something around those lines, I haven't seen the act in a while and Roger's expression after that is priceless.
Peace.
Lost_Cyborg 05-04-2006 05:17 AM
quote:
You're still in Paradigm City, bub. I liked this episode. It has comedy, it has Beck, it has Roger being kidnapped and Dorothy doing his job, it has Beck, it has Beck's version of a fakea** Transformer, and it has that great line that Dorothy says as she does business.

Well that sums it up nicely Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by ScionofDestiny

And what does Big O do? Blow it away in one fell swoop. Good bye new mecha, hello Big O!

Thus proving that the old style is just as viable as the lame new style.

w00t w00t!! w00t w00t!! w00t w00t!!
I love this theory, it makes so much sence.

You do realise this is proberly why we don't have a season 3 ^_^
It was taken personaly and Big O was given the boot.

I love the ending; big dramitic scene with Beck's new transformers/power rangers robot... One attack and... Poof No more robo.

*glances around* Down with new! Up with old! Archaic rocks! *laughs manicly and lurks*
Dangerous 05-04-2006 06:39 AM
quote:
I love the ending; big dramitic scene with Beck's new transformers/power rangers robot... One attack and... Poof No more robo.

Yeah, I liked that moment too ! How Beck was proud to show what his robot was able to do; and Big O who didn't give him one second to react. Big Grin How he was humiliated. Once again. Too bad, I wanted to see what Beck's robot was able to do. He had to act, not to speak. Pleased