Help Save Spidey & MJ!

Mr. Peabody 05-01-2006 10:49 PM
Many of you might not be aware of this, but rumors are circulating on several comic book forums that there is a shocking change in store for our friendly neighborhood Spider-Man.

Spidey, also known to his legions of fans as the nerd-made-good Peter Parker, and his model/actress wife Mary Jane, are supposedly going to divorce. Shocked

Most rumors say that Marvel Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada believes Spidey's young fans can't relate to a married man and has decided to end the marriage. Others say Quesada's never liked the marriage from the beginning and wants to fix this "problem."

Below is a link where you may sign a petition telling the Marvel editors that you support Peter and MJ staying together as a happy couple.

I'd recommend you also write a letter to Marvel. If you do so, please be respectful and explain why you like Peter and MJ and why they should stay married.

Excelsior!

http://petitionspot.com/petitions/spidermanmaryjane
Travis Bickle 05-01-2006 10:55 PM
I thought that, in one of the series, she left him a long time ago and/or died.
Sharpshooter005 05-02-2006 12:52 AM
I haven't read spider-man in a long time.

I would totally read an issue which was just entirely about divorce litigation.

(If mary jane gets half his stuff, does that include one of the web shooters?)
Jim Starluck 05-02-2006 01:35 AM
Oh for frak's sake...

I'm not sure about death, Cerpin, but in the "Amazing Spider-Man" series at least they were living seperate for some time.

I also heard that the issue where they got back together (involving a chance meeting in an airport, a suicide bomber, Doctor Doom, Captain America and a bunch of guys in armored robot-suits) was widely hailed as one of the best issues in awhile.

I read Amazing Spider-Man regularly, since J. Michael Straczynski began writing, and the Peter/Mary-Jane dynamic is a huge factor in keeping my readership. They scrap that, and along with some of the other changes they've made lately (the new costume...eeesh...), I might just not bother anymore.

You've got my signature.
Inigo Montoya 05-02-2006 09:51 AM
The Peter/Mary Jane interaction is also one of the things that helped bring in female readers, and helped generate positive feedback amongst females and other groups by showing a married superhero. My sig's going on that petition, as well.

-- Death to Otaku
Nine Kuze 05-02-2006 04:16 PM
It does suck that they might me considering doing something like breaking up Spider-Man and Mary Jane, but hasn't this happened before?

Like a lot?

I haven't read Spidey seriously (or Marvel comics at all) in a while but them splitting them up over the idea of catering to kids is kind of pathetic.

quote:
(If mary jane gets half his stuff, does that include one of the web shooters?)

Nah, I'm sure Matt Murdock (Daredevil) hooked him up with a pretty good pre-nup. But if that were to happen, she'd probably get one of Spidey's cotumes. Like the regular red and blue one as Spidey sticks with black Venom one because that one is just badass.
Peace.
David Ryder 05-02-2006 05:04 PM
I haven't read spiderman is ages, so they can do what that like. And starting a petition seems a bit extream for a comic, I mean they will release like 100 "What if" version's like marvel always does.

Edit: I don't care what happens to spiderman. They can do whatever they like.
Mr. Peabody 05-02-2006 05:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
I haven't read spiderman is ages, so they can do what that like. And starting a petition seems a bit extream for a comic, I mean they will release like 100 "What if" version's like marvel always does.

But this isn't a "What if" book, it's a rumor that if true, effects all the Spider-Man books and the Spider-Man canon.

I used to think bringing back Norman Osborn, the first Green Goblin, was the worst idea Marvel ever had for the Spider-Man books. This one will take that spot. I hope it's just a rumor.
Generalissimo D 05-02-2006 07:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI

Nah, I'm sure Matt Murdock (Daredevil) hooked him up with a pretty good pre-nup. But if that were to happen, she'd probably get one of Spidey's cotumes. Like the regular red and blue one as Spidey sticks with black Venom one because that one is just badass.
Peace.

The only reason he didn't wear the Venom costume was cause of her, IIRC.

But ehh. This is gonna be weird.
Wazpy 05-04-2006 10:13 AM
A divorce would be great. Married Spiderman is soooo boring. I know the gimmick of Spiderman was to have a normal guy with powers, but his married life is just a pain to watch. It's about time something happened that isn't undone in 6 issues.
Sharpshooter005 05-04-2006 01:12 PM
quote:

She's a homewrecker

EDIT: I just guessed how this storyline ends. Mary Jane gets into a fight with the symbiote, using folding chairs, on one of those "I won't share my man" episodes of Springer.
Travis Bickle 05-04-2006 04:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by D-Boy
quote:

Peace.

I think he actually got rid of the costume because he found out it was an alien that was pretty much sucking the life out of him and trying to take over his entire body.

Kind of a given, but meh.
Nine Kuze 05-04-2006 05:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
quote:
Originally posted by D-Boy
quote:

Peace.

I think he actually got rid of the costume because he found out it was an alien that was pretty much sucking the life out of him and trying to take over his entire body.

Kind of a given, but meh.

We know, and yeah it is a given. Me and D-Boy were talking about the replica costume that Spider-Man made that looks like the Venom symbiote but are actually real clothes, and not a life threating parasite with sweet as hell powers.
Peace.
Travis Bickle 05-04-2006 05:31 PM
Oh yeah. My bad.
Mr. Peabody 05-04-2006 05:32 PM
quote:
We know, and yeah it is a given. Me and D-Boy were talking about the replica costume that Spider-Man made that looks like the Venom symbiote but are actually real clothes, and not a life threating parasite with sweet as hell powers.
Peace.

Peter will never wear the black Spider-Man costume (he wore replicas after escaping the symbiote) because it terrifies Mary Jane. The symbiote knows Peter is Spider-Man and after it joined with Eddie Brock to become Venom, they frequently threatened her and the rest of Peter's family.