Musical-made-movies???

Raphaela 04-30-2006 09:51 PM
What do you guys think about musicals-turned-movies? Stuff like Guys and Dolls, Annie, and (more recently), RENT? I've seen both the stage and movie productions of Guys and Dolls, and the two were drastically different. Any opinions on this? What's better; the musical or the movie remake?
Travis Bickle 04-30-2006 09:56 PM
Both the show and movie of Rent sucked.

As did the recent film version of POTO
Raphaela 04-30-2006 10:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
Both the show and movie of Rent sucked.

As did the recent film version of POTO

I actually liked Rent, but I do agree that the movie version of Phantom bit hard. It was a bit too...flashy, if that's the correct word, for me.
Diverse Considerations 04-30-2006 10:17 PM
The Producers turned out fine on the big screen. But then it did have the power of Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, and Will Ferrell. And it was written by Mel Brooks. Maybe it's not representative.
The Fallen Phoenix 04-30-2006 10:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Diverse Considerations
The Producers turned out fine on the big screen. But then it did have the power of Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, and Will Ferrell. And it was written by Mel Brooks. Maybe it's not representative.

'course, it was also a movie first. And I do say, the original (1968) is quite the experience (Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder are God).

In any event, in my own experience, I would say I enjoy the musical play far more than the musical movie, although both are enjoyable in their own individual rights.

Admittedly, the movie is more enjoyable when I do not compare it to the musical. Again, in my own experience, and in general. There are...often...exceptions to the rule.

I might not have found one just yet.
Raphaela 05-05-2006 10:54 PM
quote:

'course, it was also a movie first. And I do say, the original (196Cool is quite the experience (Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder are God).

Oh, you are right. Gene Wilder IS God.
Mike 05-05-2006 11:00 PM
You know how I know you're gay?
You've seen the musical Rent eight times.
Diverse Considerations 05-05-2006 11:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
You know how I know you're gay?
You've seen the musical Rent eight times.

Ugh, Rent. The only reason I was able to sit through it was because I knew my girlfriend and I were going back to my place afterwards. hehehe...