The Ultra Anime

Ace378 04-28-2006 01:19 AM
I am sure we have all seen our fair share of anime aside from Big O. And I am equally sure that we have all seen some anime that we thought was the best and some we thought could have been much better. However when you stop to think about it what exactly was it in those animes that you liked or disliked? Was it perhaps a certain theme?
Well then what if we had all of the likable themes from different various animes combined into one gigantic anime story? Would the result be an ultra anime?

At any rate, your objective in this thread should be to add one (1) element from any anime you so choose that you thought was great and then after so many days we can compile and see how an anime with the themes listed would look with a story to it. There should only be one theme per anime so if you have one in mind list it or someone else might list another theme for that anime. Also there should be no repeats of themes. Also, though this isn’t set in stone or anything, you should really give only one entry so as to give others a chance to list as well. You may think of this as a game but it also could potentially spread more wisdom and insight about different animes and their themes. Lets try and keep an ordered post if we can:

---Example---
Title: Big O
Theme: Lack of memory
Category: Epic Memory loss (not main character based)
Reason: The lack of memory theme is actually a quite used theme in many different animes but I think Big O does it the best. Although it can be added very effectively and easily to almost any anime (at times giving the anime a boost in suspension) it can at times hinder story development and overall satisfaction levels when the memories are recovered and the truth is unveiled or the truth is uncovered but its a mute truth which really didn't need to have so much time given to it.
Further Comments: none at this time.
------
(The Category section above is due to the fact that some themes can have different implications. For example a slice of life theme in one anime could be completely different from a slice of life theme in another and thus it should be distinguished.)

That was just an example and not an actual entry so if someone wishes to use Big O then please feel free to. Hope to hear about a lot of different animes!

Thanks for your time,
Ace378
The Baker St. Irregular 04-28-2006 06:10 AM
Anime: Gankutsuou
Theme: Revenge
Reason: Seriously, man. I don't know how they did it, but there's just something about this show's writing that simply blows your mind. You can't see it yet, but you know that the Count is winding the springs of his devastating machine of retribution, and that it is one big, evil mo-fo. We, the audience, can do nothing but hold our breaths until we see him finalize his plans. And that's quality viewer control right there.

If'n ever there's an anime out there with a more convoluted story of revenge, I'd like to see it to believe it.
M.S. Feather 04-28-2006 07:17 AM
Title: Lupin the Third
Theme: Rivalry
Reason: A theme almost as old as time. Not only in anime but in most stories there is usually a focus on rivalry between the protagonist and there one true nemesis. The rival is usually the antithesis of the protagonist, different in not only their beliefs but appearance and attitudes as well.
In the case of Lupin, this rival would be Inspector Zenigata. In the anime it's represented as a more light hearted or even friendly rivalry. In the manga Zenigata would go through any lengths to stop Lupin, even if it meant he would lose his own life in the process. This is a good example of how varied the extremity of these relationships can be. Spike and Vicious (Cowboy Bebop) were serious rivals, each looking to kill the other. On the other hand you could have a very different rivalry like Ryoko and Ayeka (Tenchi Muyo!) who were competing for the love of a man.
Either way, I think rivalries are a very important part of a story and what I usually find to be one of the most entertaining aspects.
Further Comments: On many occasions, though they're sworn enemies, a popular plot device is to have the rivals join forces for a short period to defeat a greater threat.
Asirt 04-28-2006 08:16 AM
Title: AIR

Theme: Tragedy

Reason: In my opinion, Key/VisualArt's did it right. Tragedy is an old theme that exists in many shows, but AIR's tragedy is one that still touches me to this day. Sadly, I cannot explain in full detail the tragedy without completely ruining the series. However, the reason why this tragedy is meaningful to the series is because the audience were able to relate to the main character so well, that they may leave with a tear in their eye. The two arcs that are before the final arc prepare us for this tragedy.

When I saw the series, I was able to relate to the main character pretty well. Granted she was not my favorite character, but I still enjoyed her personally. The Dream arc tells you about her "problem", but the audience doesn't know what will happen to her until the Air arc comes along. However, in order to understand why the tragedy happens, the Summer arc is there to give people a history on past events that relates to the present.

The movie was not as well executed in this area. Although the same event happens in the end, the way the movie went about this was different from the television series. The Summer arc no longer played the role that it did in the TV series, and also some elements were completely removed. This did make the movie easier to understand, however, but it lost a lot of what makes AIR so great.

Tragedy is an element that can be somewhat difficult to achieve if not done right. AIR got this element right, in my opinion. I have yet to see another series that moves me like AIR did.

Other Comments: There are more themes to AIR than tragedy [Air arc]. We are also dealing with the supernatural [Dream arc], dealing with history that relates to the present [Summer arc], add in some romance (even though it does not play a major part) [all arcs], reincarnation [Summer and Air arc], and then there's having wonderful memories with your family and friends [Air arc]. All of these elements are what makes AIR so wonderful.
Ace378 04-28-2006 07:45 PM
Title: Rurouni Kenshin
Theme: Resolution not to kill enemies
Reason: Some may think its tacky but really the resolution of not killing your enemies can add some very nice suspense to an anime since the easiest way of defeating your opponent (killing them) is not an option.
Further Comments: Lots of animes employ this theme. Trigun is another I can think of immediately. In Kenshin his strive not to kill anymore leads to numerous rough battles that may have easily been won had he just killed his opponent.
------
There are some great themes here! I agree whole heartedly with the air-tragedy, and the Lupin the 3rd-rivalry themes. I haven't actually seen Gankutsuou so I can't comment on it (I have never heard of it but now I will look it up at ANN thanks). Lets keep the themes commin!

Thanks for your time,
Ace378
Generalissimo D 04-28-2006 08:40 PM
Title: Tekkaman Blade
Theme: Struggle
Reason:

I rant and I rave, but no one listens to me apparently. Something very obvious from the get-go is the struggle. D-Boy's struggle with his own Tekkaman powers, The Earth's struggle to overcome the Radam menace, Aki's struggle to help D-Boy. The Space Knights trying to keep the Tekkaman they have from the Army. Recovering vital Memories to help destroy the Radam.

Its about finding strength to overcome what weakens you. One such incident involves the titular character going over his 30 min. time limit, after which he loses control of himself and becomes a ravenous monster. The tenacity of the character to restrain his instincts and regain control exemplifies this.

The final fight between the twin brothers, both Blade and Evil, forces them to disregard their family bond and go at it like soldiers for their respective sides. In the end, though he remembers nothing about who he is, Takaya "Tekkaman Blade" Aiba proves himself as the Skywalking Superman.

Further Comments:
The effect of War on people is another big theme. D-Boy is the distant soldier who lives to fight, while the people around him try to convince him its much more than that. His theme is a very sorrowful piece. It can be found here.