Evangelion Manga

ScionofDestiny 04-27-2006 08:39 PM
The Evangelion manga is coming out at a pretty sluggish pace - info on wikipedia says there are twelve volumes planned in all. I have read nine but have looked up, down, here, there, and everywhere and still seen no sign of volume 10.

It there at least one in Japanese? It would be comfort to know that it is at least in line for translating.

I know about Angelic Days - already preordered it. I'm talking about the "main" line Evangelion manga.
dominusofdeath 04-27-2006 08:57 PM
This belongs in the Ailesberry Farm
Mugiwara Luffy 04-27-2006 10:46 PM
I think I saw Vol 10. Once. Damn, I should have bought it then and there. I've been looking all over for any volume past nine. It's a really good manga, and I sure would like to finish it.
ScionofDestiny 04-29-2006 01:09 PM
"sigh" - well I found volume 10 but it is in Japanese.
Sharpshooter005 04-30-2006 12:35 AM
So....I hear later on
spoiler (highlight to read):
kaworu strangles a puppy/kitten for apparently no reason
, does that actually happen? I think I even saw a scanned copy of that page once but I don't completly remember.
Nine Kuze 05-01-2006 04:13 PM
There's up to 12 volumes and volume 10 is out already? Damn, around my place, I haven't seen or read anything pass Volume 8 and I bought the first five a while back.

quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
So....I hear later on
kaworu strangles a puppy/kitten for apparently no reason
, does that actually happen? I think I even saw a scanned copy of that page once but I don't completly remember.

Um, I haven't read up to that point but that does sound very interesting at the least.
Peace.
ScionofDestiny 05-02-2006 06:03 PM
Volume 10 is out, but it hasn't been translated yet.

Check www.discountanimedvd.com if you want the other Evangelion manga.
Tickle Tickle 05-02-2006 06:38 PM
I still can't find Volume 9 damn it! I still need to buy the rest of the volumes, I kind of like better than the TV series. Mainly because the manga doesn't have poor animation. Tongue

It's surprising there's only what, 2 volumes left? (You said 10 was out in Japan right?) I wonder how the author will handle the ending, like the TV series or like EoE? Hopefully the latter, just less confusing.
Nine Kuze 05-02-2006 07:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Umino
I still can't find Volume 9 damn it! I still need to buy the rest of the volumes, I kind of like better than the TV series. Mainly because the manga doesn't have poor animation. Tongue

I agree, Umino. I actually tend to lend more towards the manga than the anime. But I like it because it doesn't seem like a huge rush job like the anime at times, and yeah, the poor animation is another good example. Although, I like the relationship between Shinji and Gendo in the anime more than in the manga, the manga too harsh to Shinji in that aspect.

Also, the manga gets a plus because I can't hear Asuka's voice. Pleased
Peace.
ScionofDestiny 05-02-2006 07:45 PM
If the graphics bother you much, buy the platinum - completely revised.

As for me? Hey, the graphics don't bother me - little scratchy but whatever! Still up there for best anime ever!

I am enjoying the manga more though. The anime is probably a better quality work, but the manga exercises the characters more often. The anime was primarily about Shinji suffering mental breakdowns on and off, with the other cast getting their turn now and again (Shinji, you big air time hog).
Tickle Tickle 05-03-2006 05:42 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ScionofDestiny
If the graphics bother you much, buy the platinum - completely revised.

But isn't it just a remaster of the picture/audio? It's not gonna change or improve the animation.
Spoderman 05-08-2006 01:30 AM
I have the platinum.

Yes. It does. And its amazing.

Not only that, but you have to watch it in 5.1 to get the full experience.

Episode 24, Big Screen, Surround Sound. Does it get much better?
ScionofDestiny 05-09-2006 11:49 AM
Funny thing about the Evangelion manga - I noticed that there are going to be twelve and all. Naturally, seeing the many symbols that the writers like to place here and there throughout the Evangelion universe, I took a look at what this meant.

While searching an Angelology (study of Angels) site, I noticed that the twelve signs of the Zodiac have colors. I think that the colors of the squares that encompass the numbers on the side of the brim of the Evangelion's mangas coincide with the colors of the twelve signs of the Zodiac in order.
Nine Kuze 05-22-2006 07:27 PM
I just read the first issue of the Angelic Days series of the Evangelion manga, and I have to say, I really like it so far, and I find it more appealing than the original story arc.

I'm sure that a couple of the members here already know about Angelic Days but if not, remember the end of Episode 26 in the Evangelion series? Where Shinji has a vision of an alternate reality that was to come after his wish of end came, and the vision was that of a happy Shinji with Asuka has his best friend, he lives with his mother and father, Misato is his teacher, and Rei is a new student in his class? Yeah, they take that and go further with it. Its very good, and it has a Sailor Moon quality to it you can say. Shinji isn't annoying, but actually a regular schoolboy, Asuka and Rei are obviously in love with him, Kaoru is there as well and he seems to be just as strange as he did in the series. Misato is his teacher, Ritusko is the school nurse (or so it seems), and Shinji and Gendo still have a distant relationship.

Interesting enough, there hasn't been any talk of the Evangelions yet but the six kids (Shinji, Rei, Asuka, Kaoru, Toji, and Kensuke) did go to NERV and do that one sync tube test thing. But the Evas come up in the second issue.

So, has anybody read Angelic Days?
Peace.
SEELE 08 05-22-2006 10:11 PM
I've got some scans of vol. 10....and ZOMG
GENDO EATS ADAM....Like a shrimp!

I like the manga because it puts a new spin on things and focuses more on Rei than Asuka like the anime did. Granted Asuka is just a side char in the manga almost though...but the manga gives me much for Keel and SEELE which makes me a happy camper...though poor Keel seems to have lost some serious weight since the manga began....as he started out chubby in the first volume...and now his face looks really thin....cyborg anorexia...a new phenomana?

ScionofDestiny 05-22-2006 10:32 PM
I have the first volume of Angelic Days.

Well, to be frank, it isn't as thought provoking (at least not so far) as the mainstream manga or anime. Nonetheless, my soul sings for joy for seeing my favorite characters enjoying somewhat better lives. The constant sorrow in Evangelion can wear down on you after awhile.

It is interesting, but there are some interesting correlations between the mainstream Evangelion (the manga and anime) and Angelic Days. Sllight spoiler, but the whole holding hands thing reminded me very much of Volume 8 from the Evangelion manga.

Moreover, it seems like all of the characters have the same fundamental personalties, but that the personality disorders they suffered from have been switched around. Shinji isn't avoidant, Rei isn't schizoid (?), Asuka isn't uh ... victim to any of the mother-complex or superiority-inferiority complex she suffered from, Kensuke isn't um ... whatever Kensuke was ...

Of all the Evangelion characters, the one that changed the least was Kaoru. Place a human anywhere and they can make a heaven out of it, Yui says.

Place Kaoru anywhere, any reality, and he'll still be Kaoru, I say.

SO - Evangelion - Angelic Days does have high points in my book. I await the next volume with great anticipation. Thing is it might come out around the same time as Volume 10 for the mainline Evangelion, which would be ... awkward reading if they both showed up at the same time.

SEELE 08 - your Kiel/Khiel/Keel fascination is so odd to me. Confused
SEELE 08 05-23-2006 12:01 AM
quote:
SEELE 08 - your Kiel/Khiel/Keel fascination is so odd to me. Confused

But Keel's just so cute! Okay he's not, he's an ugly old guy. But I like him because he's a grumpy old cyborg in need of a hug. And for some reason I always end up liking the background characters, there was a time when I was a raging Alex Rosewater fan-girl. I pick the weird ones.

quote:
Place Kaoru anywhere, any reality, and he'll still be Kaoru, I say.

He'll always be a gay angel looking for love....and a way to market the series to yaoi/shonen-ai fangirls. For heaven's sakes he only showed up for 13 minutes and he's one of the most loved characters of Eva. Gendo had more screen time but where are his fangirls? But than again every series needs it's bishie, and Kaworu will probably grow up to be a fabulous interior decorator.

Also...here's a scan from a doujin that cracks me up. I don't know what's goin g on here but it looks funny. I'm guessing it's a bad sign when you are hungry enough to eat a penguin.

Nine Kuze 10-02-2006 06:42 PM
Anyway, I just read the second volume of Angelic Days that came out recently and when I was reading it, I just kept thinking one thing:

"The author needs to be mutalited... slowly."

Basically, Angelic Days consist of this:

- Take Neon Genesis Evangelion and except for three pages of bad drawing depection a fight, take away the Evangelion part.

- Throw in a screenplay that's based off of the closest LiveJournal from a high school schoolgirl junior you can hack into (it would help if she was either German, a cheerleader, or albino).

- Water down the characters who were actually interesting at first (basically Misato, Toji, and Kensuke).

- Throw in elements from Grey's Anatomy. Enough said there.

- Mix with a huge overdose of Degrassi. And serve.

Yeah, when you read it that's basically what you get and any other soap opera you can think of like Passions or Days of our Lives. Although, I do like how human Rei actually is here and the love triangle with her, Shinji, and Rei has its moments but most of the time, its kind of embarrasing to read. It's trying to get its Sailor Moon on but its just too much school drama bullsh** to get through.

quote:
Originally posted by SEELE 08
and Kaworu will probably grow up to be a fabulous interior decorator.

Nice, that is if Shinji ddn't restart the world and human race and all. But yeah, dude would have been on Bravo.
Peace.
Tickle Tickle 10-04-2006 08:21 PM
[quote]Originally posted by SEELE 08
I've got some scans of vol. 10....and ZOMG
GENDO EATS ADAM....Like a shrimp!

o__o

Is Volume 10 the last volume? Or is there suppose to be 12? (I can't remeber)