Nintendo Wii: The Official Revolution

paul1290 04-28-2006 08:21 PM
I don't really care what they call it, I still want one.
Paradigm Dog 04-28-2006 09:30 PM
The name really doesn't matter to me--in fact, this simple name will probably play better for them internationally and with new casual types of gamers. As long as they bring the games, I could care less. I normally don't say this, but if half the rumored games in development are real and are made with quality, I have a feeling Nintendo's going to turn this E3 on its head. This E3 very well could be what last year's was hyped to be.
Volt 04-28-2006 10:45 PM
Hahaha... For the few who haven't seen it yet...
Generalissimo D 04-28-2006 10:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Volt

If that could be any lamer, I'd swear you had supernatural powers.
Mugiwara Luffy 04-28-2006 11:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Patsai
Going down in history as the worst name for a console ever. Just shorten Revolution to REV and you've got yourself a catchy name with horsepower.

Go work for Nintendo. Now. That's brilliant.
Ano Hito 04-29-2006 09:58 PM
Did they do ANY focus testing outside of Japan?!
Travis Bickle 04-29-2006 10:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by D-Boy
quote:
Originally posted by Volt

If that could be any lamer, I'd swear you had supernatural powers.

Trolling. Emeril. BAM!

But no, seriously. Tycho's rant was the most intelligent one I've read about the subject so far.

Penny Arcade > all (in terms of web comics).
Sharpshooter005 04-29-2006 10:23 PM
quote:
But no, seriously. Tycho's rant was the most intelligent one I've read about the subject so far.

That one was actually pretty good.

Normally I'm not terribly impressed by alot of what he has to say, since...usually it seems like he's saying very little, but managing to convince a ton of people he's a genius. Then again when you see people abbreviating whole words into some mishmash of numbers and letters, all of a sudden someone using pollysylabic words seems like the Solomon of the internet age.

I for one blame the blogosphere.

The real reason I'm not too keen on the name "wii", is because for at least four months (and thats...a really conservative estimate probably), we'll get to hear the same four or five jokes about it. All of which will be presented as fresh and new and gut-bustingly hysterical.

"Guys, guys! Nintendo's console sounds like a term used for urine, and sometimes genitalia! LOLZ!" Oh yeah...this is going to be just wonderful...

Really...the marketing seemed SO MUCH EASIER when they were using the name "revolution". They could just keep playing up the controller and so on, and calling those aspects...well..yeah, revolutionary. You can see where I'm thinking they could have gone with the brand there.

Whereas this...what the hell is this stuff about unity and togetherness? Did someone over at nintendo watch that old Coke ad and begin screaming "This is genius"?
NVWC2006 04-30-2006 04:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Randolph
I honestly don't give a damn what they call it, so long as it does what they say it does.

If it has backwards compatability and offers the classic games of the past in a downloadable format, I'm happy.

I agree.

Some people still seem skeptical, but Nintendo's main site appears to link to the Wii page from their Revolution link.

In terms of naming, I can understand changing the name, because really, how will you follow 'Revolution'? That sounds final, the main thing, to me. It's really no different than going from Dolphin to Gamecube, it will just take some time to sink in.

i don't care about people's jokes or whatever. i still want to buy the thing. in my house, every nintendo product is still called "the nintendo" whether it's an NES, GCN, or gameboy, so it makes no different to me. i just want to play the thing.
Jonny Axehandle 04-30-2006 06:55 PM
Sony: We're making another Playstation with more powerful hardware
Microsoft: We're making another XBox with more powerful hardware
Nintendo: We're making a console with ideas that have never before been thought of, a built-in emulator for downloading older games, out-of-the-box ready to connect to the WiFi network, and naming it "Wii"

Let's face it, they're just more creative. And the fact that they are brave enough to name it that makes me want one MORE.
Patsai 05-01-2006 02:28 PM
Wii is not a creative name, lest it used twice in French. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to take a wicked "yes".
Shredder 05-01-2006 10:50 PM
I'm not sure why they decided to change the name (especially to something so weird) when everyone knew it as the Revolution and liked the name, but I guess in the end it doesn't really matter. I'm still really looking forward to the system.

What I've heard of the PS3, on the other hand, has yet to impress me, but that's another topic...
Fujiko 05-08-2006 02:27 PM
Miyamoto decided to show Time his Wii.
Sharpshooter005 05-08-2006 02:58 PM
quote:
What I've heard of the PS3, on the other hand, has yet to impress me, but that's another topic...

As long as metal gear solid 4, mercenaries 2, and silent hill 5/6/origins/original sin/whatever and however many of these they're doing since nobody knows don't dissapoint me, I honestly don't care if the actual system is a used betamax player powered by a hampster on a wheel.

quote:
The first game I try--Miyamoto walks me through it, which to a gamer is the rough equivalent of getting to trade bons mots with Jerry Seinfeld--is a Warioware title

I misread this initially, and for a second had this bizzare mental image of a game where you try to one-up jerry seinfeld using impeccably timed comebacks or something.
Nine Kuze 05-08-2006 03:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Big Finale
Wii are not amused.

Very clever and no, wii are not amuzed.

I actually saw a commercial at pluging many different systems, and I saw the "Revolution" for a minute and saw this weird-ass controller. I didn't know what the hell it was, how it worked, and why someone would take creativity that far and rather, that low. But all I know is is that I'm still calling it the Revolution.

And Sega needs to make a comeback with a new system and name it the "Asskickotron". Nice name, Mike.
Peace.
Jstar136 05-09-2006 09:42 PM
I've seen some trailers for the Wii and they played off the I like the nunchaku. Pretty good stuf! I can't wait for it, and I don't really care about the name after the initial shock.
Hobodoken 05-09-2006 10:19 PM
Nintendo's Press Release earlier today was wrought with awsesome and win.

The only reason I can see to not get a Wii... is because I'm not certain how much free time and such I'll have next year.
Mike 05-09-2006 10:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hobodoken
Nintendo's Press Release earlier today was wrought with awsesome and win.

The only reason I can see to not get a Wii... is because I'm not certain how much free time and such I'll have next year.

Me too. Frown Damn you professional school!

But if they make a lightsaber-related game, I would probably have to drop out and beg from people for scraps of food to keep me going while I play.
Zopwx2 05-10-2006 01:12 PM
I can't tell if the wii is the gayest console ever or the most awesome console ever. I just have to play if for myself.
NVWC2006 05-10-2006 04:39 PM
from watching the videos they released.. it appears much cooler than i imagined.

also... people can joke about Wii all they want.. but talking in person to people about it, and for all of us, it like.. clicked.. i mean, all of my friends and i believe nintendo will come out on top, and when i said

"wii's gonna own everything else"

and it just.. sounded cool, like some odd badly done ghetto talk, and we all started talking like it and it was hilarious.

back to the videos.. people talk about how great XBox 360's and PS3's graphics will be. i thought Wii's were sweet. i would have been happy w/something exactly the same as gamecube, myself, and i got much more. and then, the controller use, especially in Metroid Prime 3, it's like.. YES. when the controller first came out, everyone had ideas of what you could use it for, and Nintendo seems to have jumped on like every single one. but i will love most of all, firing an arm cannon as Samus and having a swordfight as Link.