FINAL clue found for Act 26 after the "reset"

DorothyFan1 04-26-2006 07:51 PM
I was viewing Act 26 yet again on DVD a few days ago. (It's amazing how so much has been packed in these last few episodes of Big O) I saw something that totally blew me away...and it's a tremendous NEW clue.

Here it is: after Big Venus "resets" Paradigm City...we see the Griffin drive by and Roger Smith voices out his name and then...we see that "strange" arrangement of Angel and Dorothy on the curb. I've posted a few times about this unusual arrangement...about the "taller" Dorothy against the "smaller" Angel and the continuing controversy on whether this is just cut and paste quick animation or done carefully for a reason.

But the NEW clue to what's unusual is this: notice Angel "blinking" her eyes at what appears to be the camera/viewer. BUT...look carefully and watch the scene AGAIN. Angel is NOT looking at the viewer. She's looking at...DOROTHY! I checked it a few more times to see if I was being delusional...and no. She's blinking and looking at Dorothy. The clue was right there all this time and we never saw it! It's the final clue...Dorothy is the creator of Paradigm City. Awesome.

It makes sense with the perspective and the way they constructed the scene. Dorothy is "taller" here to allow us the perspective of seeing her upfront and closer to us as the viewer. But Angel is right behind her...being "smaller" and BEHIND...Dorothy. There WAS a reason for the way they did this little send off! They're showing us who was really in charge of Paradigm City...our little R.Dorothy. It gave me goose bumps when I absorbed the implication of this. Unbelievable.

Check it out, people.
Travis Bickle 04-26-2006 08:20 PM
It probably means nothing.
Mike 04-26-2006 08:24 PM
A) That shot is like, less than a second long.
B) The animation throughout the second season is known to not exactly be the most consistent thing ever.
C) That...that is a really huge jump to go from "angel is blinking at dorothy" to "dorothy created the city"

I think that shot was just there to show that Roger is back to Negotiating, and Dorothy and Angel were watching him go about his asskickery.
Randolph 04-26-2006 08:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
It probably means nothing.

I have to agree. I'd find it very difficult to believe that the creators of the show expected everyone to catch onto details that subtle. They usually have the sense to make important things fairly obvious.
David Ryder 04-26-2006 09:50 PM
Like CT and Rand said, it doubt it means much, if anything.
Ionexchange 04-26-2006 11:14 PM
Not to mention, but the original manga has the final scene just like the first scene in Act 1, but with many difference.
SEELE 08 04-26-2006 11:39 PM
This reminds me of the Animenation evangelion forums, everything is disected to bits and beyond..... Evangelion had a low budget, this is well known, there are many goofs in the animetion as a result. After it became popular the Platinum (read ADV trying to cover it's sorry ass for the first release that sucked, while sucking more money from the viewer's wallets) had some new scenes, these were released many years after the show aired. In one scene the infamous SEELE monoliths appeared to Kaworu in the lake (that was once Tokyo-3). However the animators goofed and made 15 instead of 12 monoliths that are normally shown. One viewer on the forum decided that these must be the souls of the defeated angels talking to Kaworu in the form of SEELE. However the dialouge SEELE imparted to Kaworu...made no sense to be coming from the angels...along with the fact that they had SEELE's voices, yet had never seen or heard of SEELE. But to make things even funnier there are 17 angels (okay Kaworu really is Adam in a semi-human form making it only 16) and one of them hadn't even appeared yet...leaving 14 angels....well this illustrious poster decided to make Israfel....into two seperate angels to make it work. Blech she got really pissed off at me for telling her that her theory was crap, granted I was rude and took a mocking tone...but seriously....(this isn't nearly as bad as most of her stuff....and she's respected in the American Eva fandom....for reasons I can't fathom).
ScionofDestiny 04-27-2006 11:49 AM
I agree that it probably means nothing but at the same time, you never know. Many writers like placing some of the most important or direct symbolism in everyday statements or incidents, and then go all original with certain parts of the plot.
Jstar136 04-29-2006 02:28 PM
This jumps the gun WAAAAY too far.
Hobodoken 04-29-2006 02:32 PM
They like to have hints be subtle, but not "Blink and you miss it".
Demosthenes 04-29-2006 05:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jstar136
This jumps the gun WAAAAY too far.

Ill second that
Lost_Cyborg 04-30-2006 09:26 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
A) That shot is like, less than a second long.
B) The animation throughout the second season is known to not exactly be the most consistent thing ever.
C) That...that is a really huge jump to go from "angel is blinking at dorothy" to "dorothy created the city"

I think that shot was just there to show that Roger is back to Negotiating, and Dorothy and Angel were watching him go about his asskickery.

Yeah, I think its just Angel acknowledging that things are back to 'normal' and that she's not going to change Paradigm to 'get Roger' she wants to play fair and square.
Act 26 ends with act 1's begining AKA normal.
ScionofDestiny 05-01-2006 08:19 PM
For once, I'm going to opt for the simple rather than allegorical interpretation and say it was just the writer's way of assuring fans that although Paradigm was reset, their favorite female characters are still on board come the "recasting".

And Alex? Alex is most likely a garbage man. Or nonexistent in this ineration of reality.
Shadow dorothy 05-22-2006 07:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DorothyFan1
I was viewing Act 26 yet again on DVD a few days ago. (It's amazing how so much has been packed in these last few episodes of Big O) I saw something that totally blew me away...and it's a tremendous NEW clue.

Here it is: after Big Venus "resets" Paradigm City...we see the Griffin drive by and Roger Smith voices out his name and then...we see that "strange" arrangement of Angel and Dorothy on the curb. I've posted a few times about this unusual arrangement...about the "taller" Dorothy against the "smaller" Angel and the continuing controversy on whether this is just cut and paste quick animation or done carefully for a reason.

But the NEW clue to what's unusual is this: notice Angel "blinking" her eyes at what appears to be the camera/viewer. BUT...look carefully and watch the scene AGAIN. Angel is NOT looking at the viewer. She's looking at...DOROTHY! I checked it a few more times to see if I was being delusional...and no. She's blinking and looking at Dorothy. The clue was right there all this time and we never saw it! It's the final clue...Dorothy is the creator of Paradigm City. Awesome.

It makes sense with the perspective and the way they constructed the scene. Dorothy is "taller" here to allow us the perspective of seeing her upfront and closer to us as the viewer. But Angel is right behind her...being "smaller" and BEHIND...Dorothy. There WAS a reason for the way they did this little send off! They're showing us who was really in charge of Paradigm City...our little R.Dorothy. It gave me goose bumps when I absorbed the implication of this. Unbelievable.

Check it out, people.

I got the crapy rip off DVD collectors edition but I remeber watching that episode on {adult swim} and I don't think Dorothy is the creator for good reasons one of many is if she was the creator she would not have let Timothy Wayneright to die, and did you notice that a french saying and Timothy Wayneright comes up to Dorothy the camera pans out for the last time. I don't fully remeber but could you see if it's there it would be amusing. Smile
ScionofDestiny 05-22-2006 10:44 PM
This thread has gone on longer than I would have expected. I've listed many a time ideas which I believed were thought-provoking and tackled the series mysterious plot head on, but often (not always) I received little more than blank stares. It seems like everyone is eager to confirm the idea is incorrect.

WELL - I'll just reaffirm my own view while I am it.

The scene was put in place to assure the fanbase the following statement:

Hey! Don't worry! They're not dead! Your favorite characters are still alive, well, and kicking ass in the new Paradigm City!

Roger, Dorothy, and Angel are collectively the most popular characters. I'll give that Schwartzwald, Norman, and a few other characters have significant followings that say they are the "best", but by and large I think even Schwartzwald and Norman fans would agree that most of the love goes to Roger, Dorothy, or Angel.

This scene exists as a means of the writers patting the confused audience on the shoulder and offering them a little consolement for the highly confusing, mind-soul shattering ending. It's just their way of saying:

Yeah, we know the ending is hard to make sense of. The important thing is that we put special emphasis on the fact that Roger, Dorothy, and Angel are still alive. They didn't die. They weren't "erased" or killed. They're fine. They're thriving. They're right here. You see them? Look! Right there! Roger, Dorothy, and Angel are all fine!

And then we see Roger is back to negotiating - which is supposed to make us feel relief - and that Dorothy and Angel are still hanging out with him.

You have to admit ... if you are a Dorothy and Angel fan anyway ...

If they hadn't shown Dorothy or Angel in the final scene after the series ended like that, it would have bugged the crap out of you. Imagine if they had just showed Roger, but no Dorothy or Angel. You would probably lack a certain piece of mind.
Ollen70 06-06-2006 08:31 PM
Unfortunately, I'd really have to vote against this one. The evidence for Angel being the Director is too strong for a blink in the end credits to count for anything. I mean, if Dorothy's name had been on the book, or if it'd been her life on stage in the end, or Gordon had said anything about her during the series at all, it might have been different. Don't get me wrong, Dorothy's awesome, but she's no Director.