I repeat my question

Dangerous 04-26-2006 07:22 AM
I would like someone to explain me what act 14 means. I watched this episode with my brother, and he told me that he didn't understand anything about this act. And me too ! Me who is a fan of Big O. Now because he didn't understand, he thinks that Big O sucks, and how many time I spoke about this anime to him ! And I was unable to explain him the episode, so he said "you watch this and you don't understand !" What a shame for me.

Please explain me what this act means. I asked it before, but no one was clear on this act, as if no one understood this act like me.

Roger was in Paradigm. Was it New York ? There is not the question ,explain me from the beginning to the end of this episode please; I am speaking to the fan who is enough friendly to have the politeness to satisfy my question. Thank you.
StevieV019 04-26-2006 07:36 AM
Try these threads for some enlightenment...the search function can be a valuable tool...

Big O Repeats: Week 4, Episodes 13-16 Discussion

An alternative theory of Act 14
ScionofDestiny 04-27-2006 12:20 PM
Act 14 can be interpreted so many ways that it is impossible to give an cohesive answer. Many writers deliberately choose to make their work like that so that it applies to a broader market, and, by extension, more money, and, at the same time, can get their work to more people - everyone likes spreading their ideas.

You can look at this from a biological, physical, metaphysical, metaphorical, psychological, or any other perspective - since I have been ranting about the physical and metaphysical aspects for sometime, I'll start with the psychological.

Roger seems prone to illusions or flashbacks that often hit him in inoppertune times - it might well be that he is autistic or schizophrenic. Probably not naturally, but as an artificial side-effect of having memories implanted within his brain as a child.

Following the autistic route, we can see that Roger's tendancy to like living in an ordered world with rules that everyone has to follow is his brain's natural defense against insanity. Unable to reconcile with external factors in his enviroment, he thus makes rules that prevent external factors from entering his psyche - soul, brain, or mind - in a pace he can't handle. A good example is the rule where no one except beautiful women are allowed into his mansion without his prior permission - we see that when this rule is broken he is tempermental and prone to snapping. Likewise, his obsession over hourglasses is another autistic trait, as obsession, or fixation, on a particular object or person can also be a side-effect of autisim, and a possible defense against insanity. Roger's brain seems to like categorzing, framing, and ordering the world in a way he can handle it - such as "negotiations work like this" - which can happen among many people, but can be particular among autisic people.

Autisim is not really bad most of the time - if a heavy case inflicts you, it can leave consequences, but most of the time it can leave you poor in one skill but a genuis in the next. Some autistic people have mathematical genuis but lack social skills for example - and then vice versa. Autism then helps form the individual quirks of many people - like Roger.

The schizophrenic route is much more ambigous. Schizophrenia is not Multiple Personality Disorder. Schizophrenia is a disillusioned way of thinking about the reality we collectively perceive. In short, the city in Act 14 could just be Paradigm City being viewed in a different format - from a perspective that no one but Roger has seen. The crazy kind.

Conversely, the shizophrenia perspective can be applied both ways. The Act 14 city might just a different look at Paradigm City, a view that Roger is perceptive senses are drawing up because of his aritificially implanted memories - or Paradigm City is a city that a crazy, schizophrenic man who thought he was a Negotiator dreamed up. As Beck said, "this is a poor, pitable man who lives in fantasy world" ... you can see how "fantasy world" might be applied to the future Roger lives in.

Of these two perspectives on the schizophrenic theory, the former is more likely - by which I mean, the "false world" is the normal world that doesn't look unlike that which we see today. Roger is schizophrenic and viewing the world from that perspective because his subconscious is using memories that don't register, memories from a world before implanted in him by Gordon Rosewater. Unable to reconcile these memories that may or may not be his own, the present Self of Roger is reformatting the reality he sees into a form that can accept these memories.

Was anyone confused by that? I'll make it clear and cut.

Realities are ruled by laws - laws that seem unbreakable but may not be unworkable.

People see realites through their eyes - or rather, the eye projects the images we see too the brain which in turn constructes these images into the most likely presentation.

BUT IS THIS PRESENTATION ACCURATE?

The brain is imperfect - complex but imperfect. There could well be dimensions to our realities that we can't see because they go beyond our brains. How then, do we know if that which we really see is reality?

The truth is we can just assume it. After all, if many people view the same event in similar ways, then surely that is close enough to reality for us to call it real.

But what about mental diseases that "infect" the brain's ability to perceive reality? Instead of projecting these images in a way that would be similar to other people's, such mental patients would piece the images their eyes send them in a way that makes them see reality in a radically different way.

Thus Roger, who has had memories implanted into his brain, is suffering from a side effect of those memories. While Roger himself has never lived in our world and thus doesn't know the images we do, such as the sun, the memories implanted in him came from people who did. He thus sees the things they saw, without ever actually been there himself.

"I don't know this city, and it in turn doesn't know me."

Roger doesn't know the city because he has never been there, and since he has never been there the city doesn't know him. Nonetheless, the images of that city survive because the memories of someone who did live there have been implanted in Roger's brain - which is now interfering with his own memories of his own present reality.

"These memories keep coming back to challenge who we are. I wish they would just go away!"

Memories form a vital part in our perception. We remember something, images, and then use that to form our view of reality - our perception. Without those memories, we can't perceive reality the way we used too - and if we lose the ability to form new memories in addition too losing the ones we already had, we no longer have a sense of self as we knew it.

On the other hand, what if you were given memories of a person that is not you? How would their memories, which they used to form their Self, effect your own Self?

Schizophrenia - autisim - we could lose our ability to perceive reality from our Self's view.
SEELE 08 04-27-2006 01:59 PM
Hey I"m autistic....

Actually autism, is where the individual does not understand that another's thought processes are different then their own....well that's a big part of autism.
ScionofDestiny 04-27-2006 02:29 PM
As fate would have it, my mother tells me I too have a mild case of autism as well. She explained that I couldn't understand math very well because I couldn't understand it from the perspective of my teacher, but I could grasp history and literature no problem because - I can't remember why.

I don't care if I am autistic however - I will never stop striving to understanding any concept outside myself that I don't understand.

That said - I don't understand what you are trying to say. Wink
Dangerous 05-02-2006 04:20 AM
You are Rainman ? Happy No of course, Rainman can't speak with other people. The poor ...
ScionofDestiny 05-02-2006 07:39 AM
It is so hard to make humor be heard of the internet. Frown