A question about Norman...

BigOFan 04-25-2006 04:35 PM
I think an often overlooked character in Big O is Norman, Roger's Butler. Hes the one that keeps Big O in top working condition & one could assume that he managed to repair R. Dorothy after Beck got a hold of her in the 2nd Act.

Now with all that being said, could we assume Norman came from a technical/mechanical background?
Where did he gain all the knowledge to repair Roger's car (Forgive me, I don't know the name of the car off the top of my head), R. Dorothy and Big O?

Does the memories that were lost have anything to do with it?
Mr. Peabody 04-25-2006 05:10 PM
Roger once asked Norman if he remembers how he gained the knowledge to repair Big O. Norman answered that he doesn't remember. He just can and he has accepted it.
Lost_Cyborg 04-25-2006 05:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Peabody
Roger once asked Norman if he remembers how he gained the knowledge to repair Big O. Norman answered that he doesn't remember. He just can and he has accepted it.

Yep. That hits the nail on the head... That, and the car is called The Griffon.
BigOFan 04-25-2006 09:47 PM
quote:

That being said, we can assume 2 things:

1. Norman must have had some sort experience of repairing Big O before he lost his memories.

or

2. He somehow had a background in a technical/mechanical field, in other words he might have gotten a college education.

Anyone agree/disagree with my theories?
Demosthenes 04-25-2006 09:55 PM
Perhaps he was in the same military as Lt Roger? A mechanic?
Lost_Cyborg 04-26-2006 04:26 PM
He seemed to recognise Roger as his 'master' straight away when they met, Norman might of been Big O's mechanic/one of the mechanics before the event when Roger was a dominus then.

Of course, that does depend on it Roger was a dominus before the event.
ScionofDestiny 04-26-2006 06:47 PM
There is a slightly more (what I consider) far fetched theory that pins Norman as the Roger before the Event. Evidence is sketchy, but ...

1. While he is in one of his hallucinations, Roger has a hallucination of himself, except he is "drawn" thinner and is missing an eye where Norman is missing his. This doesn't seem like groundbreaking evidence, but it does seem to be the same eye Norman is missing and we can see the other eye quite clearly.

2. Norman has prior experience with Big O - also, while he is cleaning Big O, it flashes him a "cast in the name of god, ye not guilty" - can't remember what episode that was though (somewhere in the second season).

I think that Norman was in most realities probably the mechanic for the Roger Smith prior to the Event, except he was younger. This seems to make the most sense.

We know there was a Roger before the Event - otherwise, how could he meet Gordon Rosewater forty years prior for that photo? The question is not if there was a Roger - it is the nature or connection between this "old" Roger and the "new" Roger? Clones? Ressurection? Both? Regenerated particles to form an old reality into a new reality? Emanation?
Jstar136 04-26-2006 06:59 PM
To add more power to the military background, we occasionally see him wielding weapons of various caliburs.

Quick Q: Is his eyepath necassary? I completely forget whether or not he needed it. Roll Eyes
ScionofDestiny 04-26-2006 07:01 PM
In the manga it is, but that may or may not reflect on the anime.
Mike 04-26-2006 07:51 PM
The ridiculously badass old guy seems to be a recurring theme in anime.
Omega 04-26-2006 09:51 PM
I seem to recall a certain line Norman once said to Roger...

I believe it was in one of the first season episodes.

Norman states something to the effect that he believes that he had been looking after Roger and Big O long before they lost their memories.

I'll have to go back and check which episode, but this seems to support the theory that Norman was some kind of mechanic.

Add to that Norman's proficiency with firearms seen in several episodes (an example is Act 08: Missing Cat), and his somewhat familiarity with scuba equipment (Act 07: The Call from the Past), and we might also conclude that he was in the military before The Event.
Lost_Cyborg 04-27-2006 04:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
The ridiculously badass old guy seems to be a recurring theme in anime.

I've had a soft spot for them, ever since I was younger and fell in love with Batman comics... Cartoons and films.
Norman is better that Alfred though, he's much more sutle ^_^
Mr. Peabody 04-27-2006 05:56 PM
My own explanation about Norman's past is mentioned in my latest fanfic Nostalgia.

R. Dorothy has a dream, which was based on a memory of the human Dorothy, where she asks Roger about the progress of Big O's construction. "There's a particularly intelligent engineer overseeing the construction," Roger explains. "He ought to be intelligent, he's English."

Later in the story, R. Dorothy reads an old letter Roger wrote to her human predecessor where he mentions Timothy Wayneright has been arguing with "the Engineer" over his modifications to Big O.
Lost_Cyborg 04-29-2006 03:49 PM
quote:
"He ought to be intelligent, he's English."

Oh-yeah, *nods* I think my dad's related to Norman.
Shadow dorothy 06-05-2006 05:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Omega
I seem to recall a certain line Norman once said to Roger...

I believe it was in one of the first season episodes.

Norman states something to the effect that he believes that he had been looking after Roger and Big O long before they lost their memories.

I'll have to go back and check which episode, but this seems to support the theory that Norman was some kind of mechanic.

Add to that Norman's proficiency with firearms seen in several episodes (an example is Act 08: Missing Cat), and his somewhat familiarity with scuba equipment (Act 07: The Call from the Past), and we might also conclude that he was in the military before The Event.

That was episode 14 when Roger went crazy. My theroy: Noram was the frist Dominus of Big O and when he lost his memorys he could only repair him for Roger.
Demosthenes 06-06-2006 07:01 PM
One of the earliest theories of norman was that he was the old roger, who is looking out for young roger. . .
SEELE 08 06-06-2006 07:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes
One of the earliest theories of norman was that he was the old roger, who is looking out for young roger. . .

That's one I've never heard...I always figured he was the old Roger's mechanic or some kind of military engineer with some bits and peices of his memory left....
Ollen70 06-07-2006 08:45 PM
Not sure if I believe it myself or not, but it just occurred to me that we learn absolutely nothing about Roger's dad in the series. It's pretty unlikely that it's Norman, I'm willing to admit, but hey, it's an idea.

Personally, I think Norman (or who Norman is based off of in the real world... whatever...) was probably in charge of designing the Bigs. Yeah, Roger pilots Big O, but he takes pretty much no interest at all in how it works, as long as it does. I don't see that changing too much as he gets older, so I'm not so sure if Norman's an older Roger. I think there's more evidence supporting that he was involved in their creation. Probably some sort of unknown ties to Soldano and the old Wainwrights? Who knows?