What drew you to watching Big O?

BigOFan 04-25-2006 04:19 PM
Mods: This is NOT a duplicate thread found at:

Why do you like The Big O?

I am geniunely interested in knowing what drew people to Big O and have no hidden agenda whatsoever. Thanks.

For me, in no particular order:

1. Mystery - The mystery of the memories which everyone is so interested in and the lengths that some of the characters go through to gain them.

2. Action - What else needs to be said here?

3. Character Interaction - I like the way the characters through the entire series interact with each other and how this interaction moves the plot. I have to admit, the interaction between R. Dorothy and Roger gets pretty interesting at times.

4. Copious amounts of Megadei - See explanation Number 2.

I cannot think of anything else.
Lost_Cyborg 04-25-2006 05:17 PM
Good question... I'm not really sure what exacly so I'll just sumerise what happened...

When I first saw the adverts for The Big O, I thought; "Humph! Anouther giant robot cartoon." And mearly ignored it, however, on the day of the 3rd episode, there was nothing on TV and I switched over it for a moment, the syle caught my attention and I watched the whole episode... From then on I was hooked... Simple as that.

Heheh, I sound like that female alien of Dr Zoidburg's spieces who's name I can't remeber.
Mike 04-25-2006 07:17 PM
The huge robot kicking another robot's ass.

Then the mystery part kept me watching, but season 2's layers upon layers of obscure symbolism lost my interest.
Randolph 04-25-2006 07:31 PM
When I first saw Big O, it was the first serious, non-silly cartoon I had ever seen. The idea of making a cartoon that didn't revolve around random and aimless foolishness intrigued me, and I watched on.

That, and I was almost entirely fresh to the concept of giant robots.

Yes, I am that isolated.
Dangerous 04-26-2006 07:26 AM
There are other animations which are better than the Big O, like Saint Seiya according to me, but I love The Big O, as I love Starcraft, even if there are other games which are better than this game. I felt in love with Big O; I remember, I watched it years before on Cartoon network, I disliked it, and suddenly I felt in love ! Anime Smile That's true, and I defend this animation toward other mangas I dislike.

Of course, there were giant robots fighting inside this manga, and I like so much those kinds of animations.
Chitter-Box-Kat 04-26-2006 04:08 PM
Why I was drawn into Big O... --.O

I think it's becasue it was a robot show (hadn't seen one in a while), and I liked the modern, post/ pre-apocalyptic feel of the show. Dorothy is an exelent android character. Roger is awesome when he's piloting Big O. Norman is one of the coolest old guys I've seen in anime.

And...I DON'T KNOW! Shocked I just liked it for some reason... Big Grin
Lost_Cyborg 04-26-2006 04:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Chitter-Box-Kat
Roger is awesome when he's piloting Big O.

He really seems to enjoy it... When He and Big O are fighting they're truly in their element. Tongue
evanASF27 04-26-2006 06:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
The huge robot kicking another robot's ass.

what he said
ScionofDestiny 04-26-2006 06:53 PM
Now, now - there is nothing wrong with layers and layers of symbolism - like layers and layers of mayonase.
Mike 04-26-2006 06:55 PM
What? Ew.

And onions have layers and layers. And the more layers you remove, the more your eyes hurt.
ScionofDestiny 04-26-2006 06:59 PM
But if you put the mayonase (symbolism) with the bread (screenplay), bacon (script), lettuce (plot), and tomato (purpose, motion?) ... you get one hellah of showtime.
David Ryder 04-26-2006 09:59 PM
I like Big O, because it avoids most of the typical retarded anime sterotypes such as falling over once something is said, OMG nose bleed!, dull rehashed plot, and so on. Big O is great because the charater's are nice and well though out, great music,a deep plot, and much more. So yeah Big O rocks.
Generalissimo D 04-26-2006 10:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
I like Big O, because it avoids most of the typical retarded anime sterotypes such as falling over once something is said, OMG nose bleed!, dull rehashed plot, and so on. Big O is great because the charater's are nice and well though out, great music,a deep plot, and much more. So yeah Big O rocks.
Travis Bickle 04-26-2006 10:31 PM
My sister saw it and told me it kicked ass.
The Baker St. Irregular 04-26-2006 11:34 PM
Oh Well I... don't think it was anything. Actually, I was into the manga first. And the only reason I bought it was because I thought Dorothy and Roger looked cool. I don't think I even knew about the giant robots! Shocked

But soon after, I managed to download the first episode in English, and the second in Japanese with no subtitles. Not surprisingly, that was enough to get me to buy the series. Pleased
SEELE 08 04-26-2006 11:52 PM
Umm I was bored and channel surfing....and had just gotten cable that year...(I was a senior in Highschool when I got cable, it was my reward for good grades at my new school). I thought it was okay at first, than i hated it, than I liked it, than I went back to hating it again. But towards the end of my freshman year at Purdue (where all your dreams go in the crapper) I started watching it and really liked it....to the point I bought both seasons on DVD and bought a Big O action figure last week.
Jane 04-27-2006 06:50 PM
I'm a big fan of 1940s stuff, especially this old radio show called The Shadow. My brother used to watch Toonami all the time (I never did) and he told me I would like Big O because it was similar (I never did).

Then, when he left for two years, I found AS and saw previews for the second season of Big O and remembered what he said. I started watching it ocasionally because it reminded me of him. I don't remember what episode finally hooked me, but it was probably Ep 14 'cause it's my favorite. Or maybe it was just that after seeing so many pieces in random order, I finally felt the need to see the whole thing.
ScionofDestiny 04-27-2006 08:35 PM
I originally started watching Big O on Toonami, and I didn't think it made much sense. Most people dislike it then and there, but I began to really want it to make sense for me. I watched it when it went on AS - but then zoned out after they kept reshowing it, resigned to the fact I would never see the second season.

Several years later, having heard virtually nothing on the Big O front, I had a huge gift certificate for BestBuy but then (of course) couldn't think of anything to buy. I bought several things (disliked most of them) and was feeling depressed that I had wasted over $200.00 of gift card money. I had about $100.00 left and then glanced at the Big O Collector's Edition. I remembered that I had never seen season two.

I had put Big O out of my mind for sometime, but I dimly began to recall it was a pretty good show.

The second season proved me wrong - it was (for me) up there with Evangelion and a few other series or novels - I mean ... WOW ...

The momentum is still keeping me going.
Mugiwara Luffy 04-27-2006 10:45 PM
My friend told me about it so I stayed up late to watch it on Toonami. The giant robot aspect and Roger's sheer coolness (plus Steve Blum's kickass voice) is what kept me watching.
DJX Prime 04-28-2006 07:57 AM
I'd have to say it was the style that drew me in. It had a bit of mystery, giant robots and monsters, plus that Bruce Timm Batman and film noir feel.