What drew you to watching Big O?

Schoolie 04-28-2006 09:30 PM
For me it was too key ingredients:

1) The film noir tone - saxophone; slow, stylish pace; gray tones, cool

2) The characters - the immediate sexual tension between Roger and this android Dorothy. Plus, the fact that Dorothy is a main character. At first, I wondered (feared?) that Dorothy may just be a 1-2 episode character. Once I saw her again in episode 3, I knew she was here to say and overjoyed!
Diverse Considerations 04-28-2006 10:03 PM
I started watching it back when it first ran, in 2000. I was a sophomore in college and would run back to my dorm after class to catch Big O.

It was the music for me. I would occasionally catch myself humming Big O's fanfare at various and sundry times. It sticks with you. And who isn't drawn to just how kick ass Big O himself is? Let's face it, he kicks ass and looks good doing it. That's a fine looking megadeus.

All that drew me in, but what caught me was the way it ended at Act 13. And then all those years until the second season...
Xel 05-02-2006 06:39 PM
I saw Alan Gabriel. Never looked back. ;D
Demosthenes 05-02-2006 06:51 PM
I can honestly say I dont know. . .Ive liked Big O since as long as I remember watching TV!?!?!
paul1290 05-02-2006 07:08 PM
I saw it one day on Toonami. I've been addicted to it ever since.
Dangerous 05-03-2006 03:54 AM
I'm glad to see that there are too much Big O fans; it would be great that a day someone who participates in the creation of the Big O reads our posts and finally says "ok, we will create the third season; there are a lot of fans!" at a critical moment for the creators to decide yes or no will they continue the Big O.

Once again, I am dreaming ... Frown
Lost_Cyborg 05-03-2006 05:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by samirsouleyman
I'm glad to see that there are too much Big O fans; it would be great that a day someone who participates in the creation of the Big O reads our posts and finally says "ok, we will create the third season; there are a lot of fans!" at a critical moment for the creators to decide yes or no will they continue the Big O.

Once again, I am dreaming ... Frown

Saddly yes, you are... But nothing ever happened without a dream behind it... Damn that was corny...
mecha0083 05-03-2006 01:22 PM
I love film noir stuff, like the Dark Deco Batman of the early 90's. I also like the fact that Roger Looks like someone with year's of expiriance controlling his mech made him seem more human than the conditioned pretty teen boys of nearly every other mecha show ever made. I'm not bashing on Eva, Gundam, Escaflowne, or anything. I just thinkit makes Roger feel more human and the concept of giant robots more feesable. That and Dorothy's "You're fashion sense" line is one of the best lines ever.
Dangerous 05-03-2006 04:23 PM
Even the scenario is well done, and obliges us to continue to watch the Big O to understand what will happen afterwards. For example at act 13 when Roger asks Norman how he miracularly repairs Big O, and at the same time this last one who asks Roger how he is able to pilot Big O. We had to watch the next episodes to understand, because we already asked to ourself those same questions, and we were sure that in watching the next episodes we will get answers.

PS : with what miracle is Norman able to change pieces of Big O? I mean where does he take the spare pieces for the megadeus ?
ScionofDestiny 05-03-2006 08:46 PM
Hmm - most of the staff want to make a third season. Chiaki Konoka himself said that if the fans want a third season then there should be a reunion for the creators - as in, a making of season three for Big O. Toonami's director wants the series to have a proper end too (this is a second hand source but it was from a reliable person), but if it appeared on Toonami it would be dubbed and follow a more episodic trend like season one.

What I really want is an OVA or movie - but I'll keep campaigning for a third season since that is what everybody else seems to want.

Bandai and Adult Swim see no need to make a third season. Nobody cares if there is one or not.

Well, not financially anyway.
Lost_Cyborg 05-04-2006 05:09 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ScionofDestiny
Hmm - most of the staff want to make a third season. Chiaki Konoka himself said that if the fans want a third season then there should be a reunion for the creators - as in, a making of season three for Big O. Toonami's director wants the series to have a proper end too (this is a second hand source but it was from a reliable person), but if it appeared on Toonami it would be dubbed and follow a more episodic trend like season one.

What I really want is an OVA or movie - but I'll keep campaigning for a third season since that is what everybody else seems to want.

Bandai and Adult Swim see no need to make a third season. Nobody cares if there is one or not.

Well, not financially anyway.

Oooo I hope the Toonami director and Chiaki Konoka get their way.
I love the season 1 set out, but better then the season 2 set out.
Call me stupid, but what is an OVA?
Demosthenes 05-04-2006 05:58 AM
Im pretty sure an OVA is a movie from an anime. . .Just googled it. It means Original Video Animation, so ya.
ScionofDestiny 05-04-2006 07:39 AM
OVA can be that, but more commonly it is a mini-series - like 3 to 6 episodes. This isn't to be confused with FLCL, which is a series.

OVA is when you take a lot a 26 episode manga or anime and then turn it into a 5 or 6 episode anime. A bit of an overview series.

Another way of handling it would simply avoid the main plot and use the same characters and general idea but shortened to five or six episodes.

The good thing about OVA series is that they are almost always better quality works than long series. Quality over quantity I suppose.
Inigo Montoya 05-04-2006 10:02 AM
Finale tied me up and made me watch it. At gunpoint.

I didn't survive the first twelve episodes. [ghostly eerie noises]
Shadow dorothy 05-10-2006 08:45 PM
Toonami, but i was nine then and have loved the Big O sence, but mainly i watch for android kicking human @$$.
Zopwx2 05-11-2006 09:51 PM
I used to hate giant robots becuase they never really seemed to act like the giant hunks of metal they were, but for the first time I felt the massivness.

But really it was the film noir atmosphere and the style chosen for the show that drew me in.
zakcattack 05-16-2006 11:11 PM
I watched it once randomly on toonami. It was very film noir and dark, which is not what I usually expect from anime which seems to be brighter, happier and altogether too emotional (no offense). The first robot fight I saw was against dorothy. The robots were slow and clunky. At first I was like, WTF gundams would pwn this sh**. But their slow movements and cruching hydraulic sounds made me feel the weight of these robots. Although a 100 ft robot doing a triple back flip into a flying dragon kick while spinning a lightsaber is cool, after watching big O, it seemed impossible and fake. The megadueses, as ridiculous as they are, have a genuine quality which makes them seem more possible than the kung fu gundams. I mean how is a 1000 ton + robot supposed to jump a half mile into the air and do seven flips?
And of course, the pistons on the arms of big O are so badass. So badass in fact that I asked my friends if they have ever seen big O, and they said wtf is that. I say, "well there is a big black robot with giant pistons out of his elbows." "o yah, thats a cool show." then they come over and watch them...and play ping pong.
minespatch 08-21-2006 11:27 PM
the film noir elements and the storyline make this a great show.
SEELE 08 08-22-2006 12:20 AM
I've gone through several love hate cycles with Big O. Finally one night I was sick and bored in my dorm and I started watching it again on AS. I guess character wise Alex drew me to the show. He's like Shinji Ikari with a spine...and the same damn set of Daddy Issues. I think Gordon and Gendo should get together and write a book on parenting.
Mattartist 08-22-2006 10:04 AM
I guess what drew me to watch Big O was the fact that I welcomed the Batman-esc flares to it. I really liked Batman Big Grin , but I really DIDN'T LIKE ANIME Mad . Please don't kill me, I have an imaginary watch dog... Big Grin

Big O really was the first anime I ever watched, and I deeply thank Toonami weekday for bringing it here to America. I remembered so much from the show in the three years it wasn't on televison. It became so far off in my memory though, that I thought I had actually IMAGINED Big O ever being on televison at some point! Frown

Well, that was before my mom found me this BEAUTIFUL, GLORIOUS SITE! Smile It instantly sated my Big O addiction, but not before flipping through the channels late at night, turning on Cartoon Network instinctively, and there Roger Smith was, battling Dorothy 1 for the second time at night Shocked -- one of the few memories I still had of the show.
I popped the tape in and recorded whatever I could of the last few minutes... Pleased

Yeah... Cool

Anyway, Big O, to me, means so much more than any other anime COULD POSSIBLY EVER mean to me -- although Ghost in the Shell is close... Well, that's my story... the story of a man with no life --

'CEPT IN PARADIGM CITY! HAHA! Big Grin