'Bell' chosen over BIG-O? Do I understand this right?

Paradigm Dog 04-23-2006 08:01 PM
All right, maybe I don't understand business enough to comprehend this. As far as I recall, there wasn't enough funding for CN to invest in BIG-O Season 3, right? So they can't afford some 13 episodes of animation, but they can afford 30 new episodes of Saved by the Bell, a live-action series with established actors and sets. What is the deal here? I can't even believe this happened... Saved by the Bell is practically a hundred years old! This is the craziest thing I've heard yet.

Adultswim.com:
Saved By the Bell - Back In Production!
04/19/2006

Adult Swim has done it again! Following hot on the heels of Fox's Family Guy, Saved By The Bell has been pulled from cancellation with an order for 30 all new episodes taking place at Bayside High.

"We were ecstatic when we saw the early numbers on Saved By the Bell on Adult Swim," said Matt Laster, the VP of Turner Entertainment's newly created 80's Reclamation Department. "We knew this had the potential to be big, but we never thought it would be this big. The fans have really shown their support and come out in droves on the adultswim.com website."

According to Laster, the new series is still in development but he did say that almost all of the original cast would be returning, minus "Showgirls" star Elizabeth Berkley. The series will follow the events after Saved By the Bell: The New Class and find Screech as the new principal of Bayside and a retired Mr. Belding as the proprietor of the Max, the hangout that the Saved By the Bell gang frequented. Screech is overwhelmed by the new group of students and puts out a call for help, and soon, all of the old regulars are back at Bayside. Laster would not elaborate on the status of Zack and Kelly's relationship, though the couple were last seen walking down the aisle.

"I've spoken to the crew and they really can't wait to get back together," said Laster. "We think this will be a fun and exciting new direction for Adult Swim and we can't wait to find even more great 80's comedies for Adult Swim."
Travis Bickle 04-23-2006 08:06 PM
10 bucks says it's fake. Every single spinoff of Saved by the Bell (minus the New Class) was cancelled, and according to what I read, the ratings suck for what's airing right now.

However, that would be awesome. "I don't want to sound like a queer or nothin', but I think Saved by the Bell is kind of kick ass."
Hobodoken 04-23-2006 09:03 PM
I sincearly doubt that's real. I mean, come on. The reason Family Guy came back was due to DVD sales. Saved by the Bell has been on for about a week or so. People were upset, this is AS's way of further agitating people.
ScionofDestiny 04-23-2006 09:22 PM
How annoying. I sincerely hope that is true, because if it is I'll have more of an excuse to deviate the central arguments of my correspondances with Adult Swim toward a harsher nature. There will be an uproar.

The lack of Big O, and our lack of an ability to obtain it - it's beginning to frustrate me again. Most of the time I don't think about it or put it out of my mind, but occasionally the hopelessness seems to overwhelm me.
Mugiwara Luffy 04-23-2006 09:31 PM
I don't understand what's going on. At all.
Mike 04-23-2006 10:56 PM
Lame, belated April Fools joke?

[crappy 1980s live action show network]
Randolph 04-23-2006 11:20 PM
I was once quoted as saying,
quote:
The staff of Adult Swim is hopped up on enough cocaine to asphyxiate a Bull Elephant.

I... may have actually been correct, it seems.

I don't doubt that AS would do something like this. I seriously think they are in an unhealthy mental state, and it shows in their executive decisions. To say the least, I won't be surprised if new episodes of that feeble teen comedy show up during my morning viewing.

And if it is a joke of some form... well, I'll still think they're coked up.
Green_Bird 04-23-2006 11:53 PM
Sad to say, but it's real folks!

I mean really...Is live action really that popular on CN/AS now? Cartoon Network has become another MTV. In that I mean....playing less and less of what the network was bulit on and forcing people to get digital/sattlite just to see spin off networks with the stuff they've been playing for years! Sometime's I'm glad I don't have Cartoon network anymore o_o .....
Travis Bickle 04-23-2006 11:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Green_Bird

Not to be a dick or anything, but that's the same exact article posted in the first post. So no...
Green_Bird 04-23-2006 11:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
quote:

Not to be a dick or anything, but that's the same exact article posted in the first post. So no...

Just wanted to point out that it was real because people were thinking it was fake. I just wanted to post a link to the artical....
Travis Bickle 04-24-2006 12:00 AM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
quote:

Just wanted to point out that it was real because people were thinking it was fake. I just wanted to post a link to the artical....

Understood, but due to the fact that Turner Broadcasting does not own the rights to the show, NBC would be the first to say something on the subject. And since they didn't yet, it's pretty much safe to say that the press release is a joke (and a publicity stunt).
Sharpshooter005 04-24-2006 01:31 AM
quote:
I can't even believe this happened.

Neither can I. Maybe because it's a joke.

quote:
And if it is a joke of some form... well, I'll still think they're coked up

Really? I'd actually say it's the other way around...alot of people on the internet are acting a bit "coked up".

They've done how many of these jokes, or things along this line? I can't even remember. And guess what. It keeps working.

Nobody ever looks at these, and goes "this is obvious", they just flip out and scream about it on the AS forums. Thus writing their thursday night title cards for them (the ones this week should be a riot).

Seriously...I've honestly come to notice that...when it comes to anime, and the internet? Pranking the fanbase is pretty easy. Whats great..until someone needs to explain it...is how the hoaxes are usually self-perpetuated.

Remember that petition about the government banning the importation of anime? You probably do, I'm pretty sure I've even seen it on here. Yeah...fake..please, please tell me thats not shocking someone...

edit: I googled matt laster of the "'80s reclamation division" (...I honestly can't believe I have to debunk something called the '80s reclamation division). Guess where the only mention of his name arises.

Yeah...repostings of this press release. And all on various forums, two actually. G4 and some other one...no mention on an official site, no link denoting him as working in any capacity for turner, or hell, even existing.

This shouldn't require detective work, on anyones part. I'll admit..the first couple of pranks they pulled were absolutely HYSTERICAL to me, since I was doubtful anyone would fall for them. Now it's been proven people do, and it's starting to become annoying if you 'got it' already.

quote:
we can't wait to find even more great 80's comedies for Adult Swim."

Hey, they could show "Small Wonder", and as an added bonus it'd appease the chobits fans since the plots are kind of identical!
Randolph 04-24-2006 01:58 AM
I guess it doesn't help that my faith in network television was obliterated years ago by a number of... unfortunate happenings.

Ah, well. I'll know better next time.

And all told, cocaine is still involved. Cocaine is always involved.
Sharpshooter005 04-24-2006 02:21 AM
You mean that Eric Clapton cover of cocaine because thats a pretty nice song.
X Prime 04-24-2006 05:37 AM
...You know...

I want a new season of Saved by the Bell. And have it replace Inuyasha completely.

JUST, JUST to see the reaction here and elsewhere. It'd be 'awesome'.
ScionofDestiny 04-24-2006 07:32 AM
. . . someone get the anime out of their hands - all of it - not even the bad ones deserve this.
Lost_Cyborg 04-24-2006 08:45 AM
AGH! Even if it IS a joke it's happening in England... Toonami (part of CN) is MENT for animes! The only anime left is TT! There used to be a few now there is nothing! DAMN YOU CN!

quote:
The lack of Big O, and our lack of an ability to obtain it - it's beginning to frustrate me again. Most of the time I don't think about it or put it out of my mind, but occasionally the hopelessness seems to overwhelm me.

I feel the same, sometimes I lose interest then... BOOM It's back... And I feel the need, the need to watch TV... big O to be presise!
Mr. Fortnight 04-24-2006 09:38 AM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
...You know...

I want a new season of Saved by the Bell. And have it replace Inuyasha completely.

JUST, JUST to see the reaction here and elsewhere. It'd be 'awesome'.

I would love to see Inuyasha dissapear, but I would rather see something WORTHY slay the beast.
Mike 04-24-2006 09:51 AM
Replay the original Gundam! They still never finished showing it. I think...

I still believe that Sunrise would make tons of bags with dollar signs on them if they re-animated the original series to not look like, well, it was made in 1979. Keep all the same story and dialogue, hell, use the same audio just remaster it. GOLD. Just don't do something stupid like Greedo shooting first.
Paradigm Dog 04-24-2006 10:19 AM
Maybe it is a joke. PROBABLY, it is a joke when I look at the wording more carefully. HOWEVER, I can never tell with Adult Swim--we're talking about the goofs who had the brass cajones to have their network run through Burger King and have a stunt where people tried to free a man dressed as a chicken with a hockey stick. They're crazy, not in a good way, and seriously undermine anime's credibility with their tomfoolery.

As for Gundam 0079 being reanimated...it'd take A LOT to make Amuro Ray and Frow Bow good characters. And the English Amuro was very annoying. I'm sorry, but as good of elements/scenes as 0079 had and as revolutionary as it was at the time, it had a lot of glaring fundamental flaws that would make it hard to watch under any medium. Still, the re-animation may happen eventually.