Wonder Woman casting speculation thread

DorothyFan1 04-19-2006 07:43 PM
I cannot imagine Sandra Bullock is still in the running for this movie. She is simply TOO OLD.

The names that pop into my head for now...

1. Michelle Williams
2. Rachel McAdams
3. Jessica Alba
4. Maria Sharapova
5. Allison Mack
6. Jessica Biel
7. Rose Byrne
8. Olga Sosnovska
9. Naomi Watts
10. Eliza Duskhu

That's my top ten list of actresses who can fill this role. My favorite is Michelle Williams. God help us if Katie Holmes gets it. The last thing we need to see is more Tom Cruise "publicity".
Generalissimo D 04-19-2006 08:20 PM
Hi ho, hi ho, to the Golden Maiyer this goes.

Eliza Duskhu.
Travis Bickle 04-20-2006 12:39 AM
How about this:

Hollywood stops making comic adaptations altogether?

They're going to f*** up Eddie Brock so bad it's not even funny, thus making it useless for me to sit through anything with Marvel or DC in front of it.
Sharpshooter005 04-20-2006 06:35 AM
I'm getting sort of fed up with every single board on IMDB (they suck anyway, big time, this is just one more level on the onion of idiocy) having some thread along the lines of "GUYZ (BLANK) IS PERFEKT TO PLAY TEH WONDAR WOMAN!!1".

Apparently every working female actor with dark hair was "born to play this part".

quote:
They're going to f*** up Eddie Brock so bad it's not even funny

I'd like to pretend this won't happen, and it's going to be "Oh hey, venom on a big screen, awesome".

But they probably will, yeah. They've been pretty good about not completely making the last two suck (or maybe thats because I don't really follow comics) but that dosen't mean they wont f*** it up.
Nine Kuze 04-20-2006 05:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
How about this:

Hollywood stops making comic adaptations altogether?

They're going to f*** up Eddie Brock so bad it's not even funny, thus making it useless for me to sit through anything with Marvel or DC in front of it.

I kind of have to agree with this. Although I like Topher Grace a lot, he just can't play Venom. It's just a wrong choice and they could have played this soooo much better.

About the Wonder Woman list, I don't really like either of them. I'd like someone with, you know, acting talents (Williams goes here but I'm sure she has the right look for WW. Bullock does, but yeah, she's a little too old for me) but I'd probably have to go with Duskhu if I was just going by that list. Jessica Alba... that's really funny.
Peace.
DorothyFan1 04-20-2006 05:22 PM
The casting decision for Wonder Woman will depend HEAVILY on the success of Superman Returns. If Brandon Routh can succeed in reviving the franchise...even though he's not a "bonafide star"...this will help Joss Whedon push for an unknown. I'm hearing he's gaga over a Brazilian actress from the Firefly series he briefly did.

The problem appears to be who has control over the casting. From what I'm reading...the conflict appears to be between the producers of the film and Joss Whedon. Joss Whedon is pushing for an unknown...while Jon Peters? wants a real star for the role.

The problem from my perspective is "how" do you define "established" star for this kind of franchise? Who exactly qualifies as a "bonafide"star? Oh...stupid me...I forgot: REESE WITHERSPOON. This is probably the actress the producers want to front this movie. Granted..this is just a theory I'm throwing out here...but under the assumption the producers want bang for their "buck", then Reese Witherspoon qualifies. But then...Reese Witherspoon will demand "Wonder Woman" salary for doing this role...and it's probably huge. If that's the case, Reese Witherspoon could actually bring down the film. So in a way...as good as an actress she is...Oscar winner and all...Reese Witherspoon has baggage that detracts from the novelty of the franchise Joss Whedon is trying to make.
Sharpshooter005 04-20-2006 06:19 PM
quote:
Jon Peters

Wasn't Jon Peters the one who made all sorts of lunatic decisions on the superman movie, like hiring tim burton and demanding at one point there be a fight with "a big spider" for no clear reason?

If so, I've gotta ask...is this movie even being made this decade, or are we going to have a repeat of the superman thing.
DorothyFan1 04-20-2006 07:18 PM
I don't know the answer to that question. I don't even know if Jon Peters is THE producer for this Wonder Woman picture. All I do know is the director is "scheduled" to be Joss Whedon...but as you see from me putting quotation marks around that word...things can change. Look at what happened at Peter Jackson's King Kong. The original sound score was dropped thanks to a dispute Peter Jackson had with the composer...who was that? This might have been a BIG reason why the movie wasn't considered for Best Picture. But that's just my theory.

Now onto Wonder Woman: funny Reese Witherspoon's name isn't coming on the radar for this picture. Very odd when you consider that Reese is a bonafide star. So I can only speculate on this...but I think that's an indication they're thinking seriously about Reese Witherspoon for the role. And to me...that's a no no. Reese Witherspoon would overwhelm the impact of the character. It won't be Wonder Woman...it'll be Reese Witherspoon. This is the byproduct of being so highly valued in Hollywood. If you're THAT successful...the price you pay is how the impact of your name affects the revenue for the movie. And that's the problem...the producers feel they need the "name" to drive people to see the film. I say BS because I think the character of Wonder Woman is iconic enough to NOT seek a star for the role. Let them find a relative unknown for the part. I personally don't know about Joss Whedon's choice...but it's a "start". Here's a couple of other names I recently came up with who could fill the Wonder Woman mantle:

1. Cote de Pablo (Ziva David) from NCIS. I think this actress could do the role. In fact...she looks the part immediately.

2. Mia Maestro from Alias. Now that this show is ending forever...this actress should also be considered. She looks like Wonder Woman too...except maybe she's a little too thin. Put her on a protein diet, exercise to build muscle...and you've got Wonder Woman here too.
Nine Kuze 04-20-2006 08:23 PM
quote:
Originally by DorothyFan1
The problem from my perspective is "how" do you define "established" star for this kind of franchise? Who exactly qualifies as a "bonafide"star? Oh...stupid me...I forgot: REESE WITHERSPOON. This is probably the actress the producers want to front this movie. Granted..this is just a theory I'm throwing out here...but under the assumption the producers want bang for their "buck", then Reese Witherspoon qualifies. But then...Reese Witherspoon will demand "Wonder Woman" salary for doing this role...and it's probably huge. If that's the case, Reese Witherspoon could actually bring down the film. So in a way...as good as an actress she is...Oscar winner and all...Reese Witherspoon has baggage that detracts from the novelty of the franchise Joss Whedon is trying to make.

You really got a kick out of that Trish Stratus picture in the WW outift, didn't yeah? Big Grin

Stop with the Reese Witherspoon. Reese Witherspoon?! I know she's a good actress and Oscar winner but her suggestion really makes me sick as far as comic books being adapted to movies go. She isn't as verstaile as say Halle Berry is, going from the Oscars to superheros, and she for sure as hell couldn't do Wonder Woman.

quote:
If so, I've gotta ask...is this movie even being made this decade, or are we going to have a repeat of the superman thing.

From what I heard we should get it around the 2007-2008 spectrum. But even that's a little too early for this flick. Hell, I say just bring back Lynda Carter. You can't go wrong there.
Peace.
Inigo Montoya 04-20-2006 11:45 PM
I read something in Wizard magazine about Charisma Carpenter being ocnsidered for the role? This thought both interests and frightens me, like Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft.
DorothyFan1 04-21-2006 05:01 PM
I'm wondering what will either make this movie or break it...the actress, the script or the costume?
Lost_Cyborg 04-22-2006 03:03 PM
I'm afraid I'm a bit behind.
I know who Wonder Woman and Venom are, but a film? What's this?
And wern't they in different comics... Venom was a Spiderman charcter wasn't he?
DorothyFan1 04-24-2006 10:56 PM
Just thought up two new actresses for the Wonder Woman role:

1. Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Final Destination 3)
2. Erica Durance (Smallville)

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Erica Durance "Lois Lane" from Smallville to be Wonder Woman. She'd be perfect.

I know people have mentioned Evangeline Lilly from Lost...but I don't buy it.
Sharpshooter005 04-25-2006 08:21 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Lost_Cyborg
And wern't they in different comics... Venom was a Spiderman charcter wasn't he?

Apparently Venoms going to be in Spiderman 3.

And yeah theres supposedly a wonder woman film in the works.
Lost_Cyborg 04-25-2006 12:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
quote:
Originally posted by Lost_Cyborg

Apparently Venoms going to be in Spiderman 3.

And yeah theres supposedly a wonder woman film in the works.

A spiderman 3? Could be okay... I wonder if they'll make one with The Lizard... He was always one of my frav charries.
I wonder if the wonder woman film will be okay... If there IS one in the making.
Nine Kuze 04-25-2006 06:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DorothyFan1
Just thought up two new actresses for the Wonder Woman role:

1. Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Final Destination 3)
2. Erica Durance (Smallville)

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Erica Durance "Lois Lane" from Smallville to be Wonder Woman. She'd be perfect.

I know people have mentioned Evangeline Lilly from Lost...but I don't buy it.

So that's her name? Erica Durance, huh? Actually, that's pretty good if you want to go in a younger direction. And I like Evangeline Lilly. She's pretty damn fine and I like her work, but yeah, she couldn't pull off the Woman Wonder.
Peace.