New Anime: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

BigPrime 04-15-2006 01:02 PM
So it's a new TV season in Japan right now, which means quite a lot of new shows. One of them is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, quite possibly one of the strangest, most interesting shows I've ever seen (and I've only seen the first two episodes) It's based on a series of novels (that has also spawned two manga spinoffs, one successful, one not) and is very hard to describe (especially without giving too much away), but it's about a girl named Haruhi Suzumiya who wants nothing to do with "ordinary" people, ie anyone who is not an alien, an ESPer, from the future or another dimension, that sort of thing. What I suggest is watching the first episode through to the end and if it intrigues you, watch the next one. Found wherever quality fansubs are downloaded.

Interestingly, there are two animes this season that have leads named Haruhi. The other is Ouran High School Host Club, which I haven't watched but I've heard quite a bit of good press about.
Asirt 07-16-2006 06:00 PM
I've seen some of this series lately, and it's not bad from what I saw. Fun stuff, even though Haruhi is indeed weird, yet cute. I've heard that the episodes are played out of order on purpose, to make people watch the series a second time in the "true" order. Haven't seen that concept done in a TV series before. I hope this series turns out to be a good one to watch.
Asirt 12-18-2006 12:57 PM
This post is a joke. See latest posts to know why I did this.
Green_Bird 12-18-2006 07:34 PM
I'm just going to repost what I posted on ANN just so I don't have to type it out again:

quote:
Somethings telling me this is a big joke...I mean for one I don't think anything official would have a hit counter out in the open like that. Not to mention you would think they would have the copyright in English and not Japanese unless it was a English language Japanese site. Besides... I looked it up on Whois and I found out the domain was registered out of Chesterbrook, Pennsylvania. I just think something about this seems fishy...
Asirt 12-18-2006 08:21 PM
Haruhi's official Japanese home page was a "404 error" for some time. This could have been to promote the US release, or something totally different.
Asirt 12-20-2006 01:27 PM
Launch Escape Program

The link will give a 404 error, but the translation is listed below:

spoiler (highlight to read):
When you are reading this, I will not be me.

This message's having been displayed is sure to have you, Suzumiya Haruhi, Asahina, Kazuki, and the fountain me old there.

It is a key. You discovered the answer.

This is an urgent escape program. Select 'Enter' when starting and select other keys when it is not so. You obtain the chance of the empty time correction when starting. However, the success cannot be secured. Moreover, the return cannot be secured.

Once this that program starts. After execution, it is deleted. When non-execution is selected, it is deleted without starting. Ready?

-------------------------

Moetron's entries no longer exist, but he reports that an error when typing in the home page reveals something important. See more posts below.
Asirt 12-21-2006 10:48 AM
The super North American conquest plan will start tomorrow.
Secondary Breach Detected, Primary Containment Fields Activated, Emergency Program Restart
The reality in which you believe is not the true reality. - Integrated Data Sentient Entity

The world will end at Midnight PST time. Prepare yourselves.

Also:

©2006 Nagaru Tanigawa / Noizi Ito / member of SOS

The Japanese text is gone!
Asirt 12-22-2006 02:20 AM
At 12:18 PM EST...

code:
1:
Incoming Transmission: Save Our Source code...

What could this mean? [Checks source code for AoD]

code:
1:
<!-- "mysterious messages are being put in the source code" -->

?!

code:
1:
<!-- Incorrect timespace zone. More data is necessary before the gateway can be opened. -->

What is this?!

code:
1:
<!-- It is coming soon Haruhiism forever North America -->

I feared this would happen...

code:
1:
<!-- Ķ»þ¶õ²óž·×Ê佤 ÅÅǾÅý¹ç»×Ç°ÂÎ -->

The hell...!

I knew it! Haruhi is taking over the Internet! I have failed my mission!

The beginning of the end is here!

code:
1:
Follower of Haruhiism...

What do you want with me?! I was only trying to get people to notice the show. I'm no follower!

code:
1:
<!-- Examining incoming data. Timespace continuums steadily approaching critical point, gateway protocols initiated. Information still incomplete. Requesting further data for analysis.  -->

What is it you're looking for? What's the message you are trying to tell the world?

code:
1:
Fighting Suzumiya's! Haruhi's Flying Mascot Brigade!

I don't understand... [Checks asosbrigade.com] The counter is useless now!

code:
1:
2:
3:
<!-- NDA says we can't disclose how much $$$ we got for all this -->
<!-- rm -rf sos-dan.com; mv asosbrigade.com-mirror sos-dan.com -->
<!-- where did the backup tape go?!  -->

Who are you?! sos-dan.com's counter is stuck at 462! What does it mean?!

quote:
Originally posted by Haruhi
Anyone for Pizza Hut?

OK, now you're messing with me. I've just noticed Moetron's Haruhi entries aren't working either...

code:
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
<!-- ...where are we now? -->
<!-- You weren't keeping track of the zones!? -->
<!-- I'm so sorry! -->
<!-- If you don't get us back it's 20 laps in the bunny suit for you! -->
<!-- Hey hey... did we miss our stop?! -->

code:
1:
2:
<!-- Timespace converging, reaching critical point. DISARMing field protection barriers. -->
<!-- Is it safe to continue like this? -->

...At 12:00 AM PST:

code:
1:
YUKI.N> Translation device activated. Can you see this?

WTF?!

code:
1:
YUKI.N> Activating Gateway, please stand by. Timezone Convergence confirmed

IT CANNOT BE!

BOOOOOMMM!!!!!1111one

[Hint: Watch the video.] Wink
Yomiko 12-22-2006 08:52 AM
My brother showed the entire fansub at our Anime Soicety meetings and I think the overall group liked it. The tricky thing is the order in which to show, there are two orders; one is Haruhi's order and the other is the order that Kyon says.
One of our top favorite episodes was the one where they are chanllenged by the computer club. Laughing And episode zero was very intersting. O_o
Asirt 12-22-2006 11:54 AM
Well, people, I hope you had fun. Because I didn't. Crying

lolz. Tongue

The mystery has been solved, and my posts have returned to their original state. For those excited about the upcoming US release of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, I ask you to join me in the SOS-dan Dance. Wait, you don't know how to do the dance? Don't worry, this person will assist you.

Watch this guy do the entire dance!

And of course, how could I forget the Gundam fans?! Big Grin

Still having trouble? Just read this section. Wink

And those who aren't excited... I hope you value your life. Tongue

Also, Kyon's Myspace page, lolz
Yomiko 12-26-2006 11:06 AM
Barrin showed me a video showed that SOS might be coming the the US. It was quite funny. If I can I'll try have him send it to me again and I'll post it here. Oh and on our SIMS game we hade two familys with the main SOS chrarcters. Big Grin
Barrin 12-26-2006 12:01 PM
Yomiko, Ashirt has already posted a link for the web site with video.
quote:
Originally posted by Asirt

IT CANNOT BE!

BOOOOOMMM!!!!!1111one

[Hint: Watch the video.] Wink

For those who don't like to mouse over things, it www.asosbrigade.com

They updated the web site on Christmas day and say that a fully translated version will be released soon. The current one has two Japanese speakers, Mikura and Yuki, but Haruhi and everyone else in video is English.

Ultra important: Click the 'the' in their post. It'll take you here, Mikura auditions. Dub fans, make your wishes known!
Edit: I choose voice 4 based on cuteness, but this is hard to do with 15 seconds of audio. Most perfer #2, and I'm rethinking my choice. I had to have the fansub on mute while playing the voice clip. Man, i'd be REALLY nice if they included the video with this audition so we didn't have to time it together.
Yomiko 12-28-2006 09:21 AM
It was really werid to hear the voices and yeah it would have been good to see a video clip of either the actual girl auditoning or else they put it to the SOS video.
Barrin 12-28-2006 09:37 AM
OK, they're updating daily, apparently. Now the subtitled video is up, so you have some idea what Yuki and Mikura are talking about, but good luck understanding Haruhi anyway. Big Grin

New choice for voice actors: Yuki Nagato
Yomiko 01-02-2007 01:34 PM
It's a bit amusing how they kept puting 'espers' in the subtitles when Hauri said 'pscyics.' (forgive my bad spelling)
Barrin 01-11-2007 01:21 PM
Found a cute manga of mini catgirl Yukis running around, being cute. Yomi-chan asked me to put this up.

http://www.sos-dan.com/img/res/8448.html
BigPrime 01-20-2007 07:46 PM
Wow, my thread came back to life over half a year after I'd made it.
Asirt 01-20-2007 07:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BigPrime
Wow, my thread came back to life over half a year after I'd made it.

That's what usually happens when a new series comes over to the US. Tongue
Asirt 02-28-2007 12:09 AM
The first DVD of Haruhi Suzumiya will be out May 29th. Get the regular edition for about $25 bucks, or if you're a big fan of the series, buy the special limited edition for $50 bucks, and get many special items.

I've already placed my order. Here's hoping the US release will be awesome.

EDIT - Which order would you like to watch the series in?
seraphjei 03-01-2007 01:35 AM
This show kicks ass...on sooooooo many levels.