Resident Evil 4 PS2 version comparison.

paul1290 04-12-2006 08:23 AM
I've played Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube and it was a really great game. Recently I've also gotten the PS2 version so I'll be doing a bit of a comparison between the two versions.

Part 1: Ganado Village

Graphics:
Some people may be a bit concerned about the graphics on the PS2 version. From what I've seen so far I can certainly tell there is a difference. However, the difference between the two versions isn't noticable unless you've played both of them. Right from the beginning it's pretty obvious (to me at least) that the polygon count is slightly lower. This is most noticable with leon's hair, which has been molded into one piece for the PS2 version. The PS2 version seems to focus more on textures rather than polygon count, which makes sense because the PS2 handles textures better than it does polygons. Many of the textures on the buildings and trees have been improved to compensate for the lower polygon count. However, like I said earlier it isn't really that noticable unless you've played both versions.

Control:
This is really the only area where I've seem to have run into a few problems. My main problem with the control is the aiming. It doesn't seem to be anywhere near as smooth as the Gamecube version. In the village area in the Gamecube version I'm usually able to get headshots 3/4 of the time. In the PS2 version that's been reduced to 1/4 and I've actually missed the enemy completely quite a few times. Trying move the aim up and down or left and right is fine, when you try to move it diagonally then the sensitivity starts to feel really clunky. Longtime PS2 owners who have gotten used to the PS2 control stick might not have this problem, but so far it has been really annoying to me.

I'll be back with more as I get play farther through the game.
Travis Bickle 04-12-2006 10:15 AM
How about the fact that there are no in-game cinemas and every movie is just a cgi-FMV as opposed to the GameCube version?
paul1290 04-12-2006 10:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
How about the fact that there are no in-game cinemas and every movie is just a cgi-FMV as opposed to the GameCube version?

I haven't gotten very far through the game so I haven't noticed that yet.

Part 2: Past the village and on to the lake.

Control:
I'm starting to get better with the controls, but it's still a tad clunky. I can get headshots and shoot down projectiles again. On the other hand, it's still nowhere near the accuracy I got with the Gamecube version.

Graphics:
I've come across a couple spots where Capcom really took advantage of the PS2's superior texture capabilities. A good example is the area just outside the large house where you find Luis in the closet, the detail on the small building was improved a lot. On the other hand I've been noticing there is this ugly rust colored haze in the air in the outdoor areas. I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not.

AI:
I'm not entirely sure about this, but the enemies seem a tad less intelligent in this version. They weren't meant to be that smart in the first place, but the occurance of so called "acts of stupidity" seems to be a bit more frequent. There were a couple dynamite throwing guys who blew themselves up before I got anywhere near them and a couple axe throwing guys who just stood there as if I wasn't even there. But like I said I'm not completely sure about this.

explosions:
Splash damage and size of the explosions has been increased a lot from the Gamecube version. I actually blew myself up a few times because I underestimated the blast radius of the grenades.
Patsai 04-13-2006 10:09 AM
quote:
Originally posted by paul1290
quote:

Umm...any and all cutscenes, right from the get-go, are CGI-FMVs. This is apparent because when I replayed the PS2 version, Leon was still wearing his default costume in the cutscenes, regardless on what he had on in-game (costumes, bullet vest).
paul1290 04-14-2006 01:25 PM
Part 3: The castle

Boss fights:
Some of the boss fights have been changed a bit. It seems that the De Lago fight has been made more difficult as he tries to slam you against the floating junk more often. El Gigante, however, has been made slightly weaker because around 1/3 of his health appears to have been removed. The village chief fight remained about the same.

Health items:
There seems to be a lot more green herbs in this version. On the other hand, the merchent no longer sells you as many first aid sprays as he did in the Gamecube version. I think I've only managed to get 2 first aid sprays out of him so far.
Generalissimo D 04-14-2006 01:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Patsai
quote:
Originally posted by paul1290
quote:

Umm...any and all cutscenes, right from the get-go, are CGI-FMVs. This is apparent because when I replayed the PS2 version, Leon was still wearing his default costume in the cutscenes, regardless on what he had on in-game (costumes, bullet vest).

The GCN version is rendered in real-time, ala MGS2.
Travis Bickle 04-14-2006 02:04 PM
The graphics on the PS2 look a bit uglier than that of the GCN. Ther's another comparison. BAM!
Patsai 04-18-2006 10:01 AM
quote:
The graphics on the PS2 look a bit uglier than that of the GCN. Ther's another comparison. BAM!

Don't forget about the sound effects (garbled up gibberish on top of already garbled up gibberish) and loss of atmosphere. Dark room are too bright. Lightning flashes are cheap. The water effects are laughable.
paul1290 04-23-2006 04:20 PM
Part 4: The Island and the end.

Green herbs:
I mentioned earlier that you get more green herbs in this version. Now it starts to become just downright silly. At one point nearly half my inventory was taken up by green herbs and I actually had to sell some. (I had to sell green herbs! Shocked )

Ammo:
I have done something that I never thought was possible in RE4, I almost ran out of ammo! Yay! Big Grin Now you're probably thinking "Since when is running out of ammo a good thing?". In my opinion, the Gamecube version had WAY TOO MUCH AMMO! You didn't have carefully manage your ammo supply at all. You could literally just blast away at any enemy in your path, you shouldn't be able to do that in a Resident Evil game. There is still a bit too much ammo in this version, but not as much as in the Gamecube version.

Red 9:
I am not sure why they did this, but they raised the Red 9's maximum damage to 6 instead of 5. I haven't tried the Blacktail so I don't know if they made any improvements to it. If they didn't make any improvements to the Blacktail then the Red 9 would clearly be the better gun.