Who was the "informant"?

BigOFan 04-09-2006 10:05 PM
Hello one and all, I am new to these boards and obviously (if you haven't figured out by my name), a fan of Big O Big Grin

Having watched the Big O series again (Ended up buying the Big-O Collection DVD). I have one question that I have not been able to figure out the answer to. If this has been asked before, I apologize in advance.

Who was the "informant" that Roger kept getting his information from in the bar? Was he a paradigm city employee?

I have never been able to figure it out.
X Prime 04-09-2006 10:07 PM
He's the Terminator...

...no really. He LOOKS like the Terminator.

But yeah, he's an android who knows a lot.
Generalissimo D 04-09-2006 10:22 PM
Big Ear.

And the man had it in his newspapers.
ScionofDestiny 04-10-2006 07:29 AM
No one knows exactly who Big Ear was waiting for, but it is worth mentioining. Whenever he put his Newspaper on the table, there was a picture of an event that would happen at the end of the episode.

Or so I am told. Also, it was true he was an android too.
Mike 04-10-2006 08:36 AM
My theory was that he was sort of a proxy for the central thingamajigger that was running the whole city, and he was there to nudge Roger around on his whole "discover the secrets" quest.
BigOFan 04-10-2006 09:31 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
My theory was that he was sort of a proxy for the central thingamajigger that was running the whole city, and he was there to nudge Roger around on his whole "discover the secrets" quest.

Thats an interesting theory...and it sounds entirely plausible, just never thought of it that way.
BigOFan 04-10-2006 10:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ScionofDestiny
No one knows exactly who Big Ear was waiting for, but it is worth mentioining. Whenever he put his Newspaper on the table, there was a picture of an event that would happen at the end of the episode.

Or so I am told. Also, it was true he was an android too.

So this leads me to bring up another question..who was Big Ear created by? Was he created during the events of 40 years ago? Do we even know where he came from, how he came to be?
R. Daniel Olk 01 04-10-2006 02:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike

My thoughts exactly. Pleased
Generalissimo D 04-10-2006 04:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
...the man had it in his newspapers.
ScionofDestiny 04-11-2006 09:22 AM
My theory is that Big Ear was modelled after someone that lived before the Event - like R. Dorothy was for Timothy Wayneright's daughter. It is possible that the Roger that made the Negotiation with Gordon Rosewater (lets assume that happened before the Event or shortly after) knew someone like Big Ear who gave him information. Because that person was killed during the Event, the "central power" initiated the creation of an android made in that person's image.

All for the purpose of nudging Roger in the right direction - Roger and every other "actor" who played a significant role. In the comic, for example, it seems Big Ear has customers with some of Roger's enemies as well.
paul1290 04-11-2006 11:32 AM
I think I might have mentioned this before, but I think Big Ear was working for Gordon Rosewater. Gordon needed someone to lead Roger in the right direction and to make sure nothing bad happened to Roger because Roger wouldn't be able to negotiate with Big-Venus if he died too early.
ScionofDestiny 04-11-2006 12:14 PM
Hmm - I wonder. Big Ear didn't seem overly concerned about his own death, whatever the means.

Big Ear is undoubtedly the character from Big O we know the least about.
BigOFan 04-11-2006 02:36 PM
On a slightly off-topic note, I didn't realize or expect this topic to get such a rapid following so to speak.

On nearly all the other forums I have been on (With the exception of 1 or 2), I have been flamed for starting topics that I just want an answer to.

Thanks guys and gals for making me feel welcome.
Chitter-Box-Kat 04-11-2006 04:33 PM
Hey BigOFan! I'm Chitter-Box-Cat one of the friendly psychopaths on the forums. Anime Smile (I know I can't be alone.)

Have you introduced yourself at the Pier yet? Confused I did!

Anyway, Zaphod's right. All of Big Ear's info comes from the newspapers he's always reading. He's like a soothseer. ^__^

And I think Big Ear must have been modeled after a Jewish man or something, because he wears a yamakah (sp?) on his head. Or at least something that looks like one. >.>

I'm gonna check out the 'scene from the end of the episode on the paper' thing for myself. I'll start a thread with my findings. Big Grin

Chitter-Box-Cat
ScionofDestiny 04-15-2006 04:58 PM
Big Ear is probably based off the Jewish Prophet Elijah (E li jah - I think) who is immortal, a messenger of God, and has not tasted death because God has charged him to wander the world and be present at baptisms. And I believe that Elijah has, like most or at least many prophets, the power of foresight as granted to him by God - meaning he can decipher the future. He remembers the future.

Specifically, all prophets generally fulfill a role. Elijah's role is to be the Prophet of the End of Time. Very much like Big Ear was when Big O and Big Fau were going at it.

Consequentially, Big O represents Earth and Big Fau represents the Sea - and Big Fau throws Big O down into the ocean in "The Show Must Go On" - this is a significant event because in the End of Times the earth (Big O) is supposed to be swallowed by the sea (Big Fau casting Big O and Roger Smith into the ocean).

I think that Elijah is present in most Christian traditions as well - but he isn't as significant because they have Jesus.