The Simpsons Movie

Dork 04-07-2006 04:31 PM
::picks jaw up off of floor::

So, um, yeah, apparently there's a Simpsons movie coming out. Certainly didn't see that one coming.

Here's an article:

Homer Simpson announced the much-anticipated feature film based on the hit television series The Simpsons will premiere in theaters worldwide July 27, 2007. The announcement was made in a specially-prepared teaser trailer that appears on prints of Ice Age: The Meltdown, which opened in theaters March 31. The teaser also aired on Sunday's (April 2nd) episode of the hit TV series on FOX, which has just been picked up for its 18th and 19th seasons.

Starring in the animated film are series regulars Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, Yeardley Smith, Hank Azaria, Harry Shearer, Pamela Hayden, and Tress MacNeille. Guest starring in the movie are Erin Brockovich, Minnie Driver, and Albert Brooks.

Producing the feature are The Simpsons series executive producer James L. Brooks, creator Matt Groening, current showrunner Al Jean, Mike Scully and Richard Sakai. The script is written by Groening, Brooks, Jean, Scully, Ian Maxtone-Graham, George Meyer, David Mirkin, Mike Reiss, Matt Selman, John Swartzwelder, and Jon Vitti - all series veterans. David Silverman (Monsters Inc.), the series' supervising animation director, is helming the feature.

"This was enormously challenging, because it involved filling 120 blank pages with an actual story and words people say," said producer James L. Brooks.

"We're very excited about the performances in this movie. Come next Oscars, we think it's going to be Milhouse's night," said producer Matt Groening.

"I can absolutely guarantee that this film will far exceed the wildest expectations of every Simpsons fan," said producer Al Jean. "Start lining up at the theater now, preferably in costume."

"The movie is a result of the very singular vision of eleven people," said producer Mike Scully.

"We have all watched The Simpsons evolve from a groundbreaking television series into a global cultural phenomenon and everyone at Fox is excited about its leap to the big screen," said Chris Meledandri, President of Twentieth Century Fox Animation.

Now in its 17th season, The Simpsons is the longest-running comedy series in the history of television. The critically praised series has been bestowed with numerous honors, including a Peabody Award, 21 Emmy Awards, 21 Annie Awards, four Genesis Awards, eight International Monitor Awards, two People's Choice Awards, three British Comedy Awards, three Writers Guild Awards, and a Television Critics Award for Outstanding Achievement in Comedy.
"

And here's a preview.

My dad's a big fan of the Simpsons. I'm sure I'll be seeing this within the first few weeks. Can you imagine the opening day lines? Ha! Oh the heat... and those costumes... ::has a hot flash::

muchlove
-Dork
Sharpshooter005 04-07-2006 04:37 PM
I'm sure we'll get about 19 "simpsons sucks" sentiments expressed...I still like it, there was an interview with Al Jean (I think) somewhere where he completely admits the shows changed. It has. I still say it's not completely terrible, even if the "golden years" are arguably past.

So...well, yeah, I'm sure I'll be seeing this in the first few weeks its out.
Travis Bickle 04-07-2006 05:45 PM
The last funny episode was the "medicinal pot" episode. When they started having Tony Hawk on the special episode, I lost all hope.

So yeah. Simpsons suck.
Mike 04-07-2006 06:09 PM
Phil Hartman's death really started the downfall of the show.

The Simpsons without Lionel Hutz just isn't The Simpsons anymore. Frown
Sharpshooter005 04-07-2006 06:12 PM
quote:
John Swartzwelder

Honestly..if he wrote the movie entirely on his own, I'd be hopeful. Maybe even moreso. Not only is he one of the more prolific writers on the show, he's come up with some of the great episodes. And apparently the novel he wrote is pretty funny also.

quote:
he last funny episode was the "medicinal pot" episode.

I can't really diagnose when the problems began, since I can never differentiate between seasons (I can tell the really really old ones from everything else, thats it)

The problem is obvious though. The formulas busted, and the writers keep repeating the mistake. You'll have an episode start off with one plotline, something happens, and it leaps to a totally disconnected one. Example

Homer gets a song produced about how he hates Flanders. This alone could probably be expanded into an episode. You could even get some RIAA gags in there.

Then however it has it so they leave for a dude ranch, which again, could be an entirely seperate episode. I'll never understand why they feel the need to cram in two potential plotlines into a single episode, or why it keeps happening.

It's like..it's almost like they're SORT OF going for the way family guy does it, where the plot barely exists and only serves as a frame for the jokes, but they also want to maintain a semi-coherent plot.

They also need to revise how they handle the guest stars. Earlier on you'd have things like Elizabeth Taylor preforming a single line spoen by Maggie. Now theres an entire episode centered around a quasi-pastiche of Ray Romano's character from that abysmal sitcom he's on.

Also the jokes HAVE changed. Where you'd once get a fleeting reference to Pablo Naruda, now you've got Homer just inexplicably referring to maggie as "silent bob", general useless humor like that.

It's gone downhill, and I think on some level even the writers get that. Theres maybe some universally agreed upon moment when that began, maybe not. I still maintain that as far as the new ones go...at best they echo the better moments of the series. At worst, they're still more palatable than drawn together or family guy.

Either way, I can't help but think the shows on its way out...since the talk of a feature film first started, it's almost always been correlated to the end of the show (it used to be the movie was supposed to come out after it had ended), so...yeah....I still think the series potentially has life left in it, but the curtain calls probably not terribly far off.

(Yes, I realize I just wrote way too goddamn much about the progression and quality of the simpsons. It's probably sort of weird really)

quote:
The Simpsons without Lionel Hutz just isn't The Simpsons anymore.

I am very glad they just completely retired the Lionel Hutz/Troy Mclure characters, and not tried to have someone mimic Hartman's voice. It just wouldn't have worked.
David Ryder 04-07-2006 10:37 PM
The simpsons hasn't been funny since season 5. I don't know why but they seem to have taken a turn into the Family Guy style of "humor", i.e plot's just barely there, then they toss in some pop culture reference. I just hope they don't start with this....

Homer: Hey Marge, remember that time I was at work and almost got fired? *flash back*
Generalissimo D 04-07-2006 10:40 PM
The Treehouse of Horror eps are the only ones worth watching anymore.
The Baker St. Irregular 04-08-2006 01:26 AM
Love the "golden age" The Simpsons. Newer stuff just makes me depressed. Frown But I don't think I'll ever stop quoting The Simpsons like I do until the day I die.

So what's this about a movie? That's crazy. That's crazy, man. It's, like, beyond my mental capacity to even think about the vague concept of a movie, more or less guess why the show is still limping on.

Here's hoping it all ends with a bang instead of a whimper.
Randolph 04-08-2006 04:01 AM
Wait, wait, wait. Wait, wait. Wait.
There are still new Simpsons epsiodes coming out? And a movie? I thought that show died almost ten years ago.

Well, I can't say it pleases me, I never cared much for Matt Groening's work. Or Seth McFarlanes, for that matter, but that's beside the point.

Somehow, I can't bring myself to expect success from this endeavor. Maybe I should; perhaps there is some great body of evidence I have not yet laid eyes on. Still, I feel like the show will indeed end in a flop. Although, as I said, I had thought it already had.
Mike 04-08-2006 12:43 PM
Yeah, it's not as good as it was but The Simpsons are still going strong. Even though the plot is...well, retarted, each episode is at least entertaining.

They started with the whole "completely changing the premise halfway through the show" a while ago, but lately it's just been bizarre. Like when Bart emancipated himself and became friends with Tony Hawk. That was a really lame episode and they made a big deal of advertising it because it was the 300th one.
Big Money 04-08-2006 01:14 PM
The best two episodes were the NAVY and Scorpio ones... but the ones lately have been at least midly entertaining, with a few pretty good ones (manatee one was hilarious).

So maybe the movie won't suck. But it probably will.
Sharpshooter005 04-08-2006 01:48 PM
quote:
The NAVY

"New Kids on the Blecch" (the one with the subliminal ad) or "Simpson Tide" (Where Homer inadvertantly sparks some international incident with a submarine, and you have zombie Lenin)?
Big Money 04-08-2006 02:04 PM
... I meant the Lieutenant Lt. Smash one, with the subliminal messages, though the zombie Lenin gag was really great (the Berlin wall coming out from the ground and the floats turning into tanks)...
Mike 04-08-2006 03:28 PM
I didn't like the Yvan Eht Nioj one that much...

but Scorpio is such an awesome episode. Up there with the Monorail one. Whenever I see a monorail, or someone mentions a monorail, I reflexively break into song.
Sharpshooter005 04-08-2006 03:40 PM
"Is there a chance the track could bend? Not on your life my hindu friend."

Best episode ever, or close to it anyway.

quote:
Comic Book Guy.

"Please do not bang your head on the case, it contains a very rare Mary Worth. In which she advises a friend to commit suicide."
Jim Starluck 04-08-2006 03:42 PM
I think my favorite Simpsons moment (back when I still watched it) was the episode that started with Bart re-enacting the opening sequence of Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. I don't actually remember anything else about the episode, just that sequence. Tongue
Mike 04-08-2006 03:45 PM
Oh yeah, I just remembered. My dad once saw a bartender who looked EXACTLY like Comic Book Guy. Fat, bald, ponytail, glasses, goatee, Star Wars shirt. I laughed so hard I cried.
Sharpshooter005 04-08-2006 05:23 PM
Come to think of it...Albert Brooks voiced Scorpio in "You only move twice". And he's a voice in the movie....The return of hank scorpio perhaps?

(No I don't actually expect the script to involve that episode..it'd be an amusing reference though)

Is the "confirmed detail" still "confirmed"? A few years back it kept getting into the news the movie would have sort of a graduate like subplot involving bart and an older woman. Was this just a rumor that managed to seem legitimate, an earlier draft of the script thats now been nixed, or do we actually have a confirmed detail?

I'm just wondering what period of the show the script will most echo, since I consider there to be three really clear ones

-The super-realistic scripts where dialogue and situations were emphasized over the various absurdities that an animated medium gives you (I'm talking the old, old episodes. Some of which weren't even that stunningly good)

-The "golden age" where they sort of had crazy improbable stuff going on, but with a quasi-plausible subtext to it (some of the writers even have said this was the whole point of the frank grimes episode, contrasting the hard-working sane persona of grimes with the insane over the top mishaps of Homer and company. Coincidentally Groening thinks this is the best episode supposedly)

-The later stuff where it just flipped out completely.
Wazpy 04-09-2006 11:07 AM
Well, the problem with the newer episodes isn't that they're over the top. I think it's that the writers want to keep him that wholesome family feel underneith, but are running out of ways to express it. Like I can remember them taking trips to Lego World and church ice cream socials or something. Marge and Homer have has problems and been remarried like 5 times. And all the background characters are starting to get a little played out (Do they really need Lenny and Carl to be all over the place? I thought they were just random co-workers in the old days.)

Anyway, my fear is that if the movie is bad, Simpsons will lose lots of credit.
Blue Crow 04-10-2006 10:45 AM
at least it took the simpsons a while before it started blowing.

family guy only made it through 3 seasons. Roll Eyes i can't even stand it anymore.

- BC