The Simpsons Movie

Sharpshooter005 04-10-2006 01:25 PM
Oh Fox. You've truly revolutionized television.

First you gave us the pitts. A show so brilliant, it only lasted five episodes (clearly, we just weren't ready for something so thought provoking).

And how can any of us forget greg the bunny? Jim Henson can rest easy, for his successors truly have lived up to...nay...surpassed, the muppet show.

But did you stop there? Oh no, you took us into a bold new tomorrow with the incisive and cutting racial commentary that was "method and red".

I mean sure, you made some fumbles...arrested development and futurama. But those stodgy old critics that chastised you for dropping them just don't get the pulse of America the way you do!

And you've more than made up for it. You brought back Family Guy! For a very dark period in our nations history, viewers were forced to muddle through the confusing television wasteland, without the soothing knowledge that every sunday night at 9 p.m. we could be reminded that every single thing from the 1980s is hysterical. I went for months without seeing an abrupt and jarring segway into a musical number, but you deftly pulled me back from the brink of madness itself.

And as a further salve to our nation's soul, you decided to up the ante yet again...giving us a ferocious twosome of comedic brilliance. Thats right, you paired family guy with a show that can only be described as the next "All in the Family". I speak of course of the war at home, which forces us to stare into a funhouse mirror that exposes our own foibles and allows us to heal all societal ills by laughing at our own absurdities.

Whats this? Oh my, the bounty continues! Truly, "the loop" is an idea so groundbreaking that it should be immidiately awarded a peabody award. The setup is so deceptively simple, a young hotshot executive working alongside stodgy old rich people? My god! OUR GENERATION HAS FOUND A VOICE!!

So heres to you, Fox. Your fresh and innovative programming has taken us all to new heights.
Mike 04-10-2006 01:28 PM
Wow, are the new episodes of Family Guy really THAT bad? I haven't been watching them because The Sopranos is on at the same time.

I actually like The War at Home...and I never liked Arrested Development.

But...yeah. I think The Pitts is the lowest point yet in the smelly annals of television history. And that includes The View and the Star Wars Holiday Special.
Sharpshooter005 04-10-2006 01:33 PM
quote:
Wow, are the new episodes of Family Guy really THAT bad?

They're about as bad as that last post I made..so...yes?

quote:
I think The Pitts is the lowest point yet in the smelly annals of television history

To be honest, not only have I never seen the pitts. I used to think it was a show about that weird plastic mannequin family from the old duracell commercials. And no, I have NO idea why.
Nine Kuze 04-10-2006 03:33 PM
With all respects to Dork, I announced the Simpsons movie here in the Daily Huster. But still, very cool that you made a thread for the movie, since it deserves its own. Big Grin

quote:
The problem is obvious though. The formulas busted, and the writers keep repeating the mistake. You'll have an episode start off with one plotline, something happens, and it leaps to a totally disconnected one.

That's the most alarming problem with the Simpsons at this point in time. Don't get me wrong there are others but this is the one that's really hurt them right now. In each new episode this days, yeah, there are two (or sometimes three) completely different plots that are badly blended in together to give us a rushed, and hardly makes any sense episodes. The same things with Family Guy but in a way, there better at it. Its just the jokes that switch over to unreasonably long satires of pop culture that aren't even funnier anymore that kills Family Guy. Its just so annoying now.

quote:
First you gave us the pitts.

I don't remember The Pitts and it sounds like that's a good thing.

quote:
And how can any of us forget greg the bunny?

I remember that. Crap. Pure crap.

quote:
But did you stop there? Oh no, you took us into a bold new tomorrow with the incisive and cutting racial commentary that was "method and red".

That wasn't actually that bad of a show. Although it MADE NO SENSE whatsoever, it was generally amusing to a degree. My only problem was that the main characters were played by... Method Man and Redman. Come on, I don't even listen to your records and you expect me to show you do television? But still, it wasn't as bad as I expected.

quote:
I mean sure, you made some fumbles...arrested development and futurama. But those stodgy old critics that chastised you for dropping them just don't get the pulse of America the way you do!

Those were the best shows Fox had going for a while and of course in usual Fox fashion, they cancelled them. But for A.D., the creator was a part of that too because he didn't want to disappoint the fans and bring it back and... well, basically, have it turn into Family Guy if you know what I mean. But still, damn good shows. Helluva better than "American Dad" and "Free Ride".

quote:
I speak of course of the war at home, which forces us to stare into a funhouse mirror that exposes our own foibles and allows us to heal all societal ills by laughing at our own absurdities.

I'm tellin' ya, Sharpie. The War at Home isn't that bad. True, the characters suck sooo hard but still, the writing is interesting and I still think the daughter (damn I forget her name. Hallie?) is fine. I still trying to give it a chance. The problem with the show is is that it tries to be funny, radical, and edgy without actually going that route, and that is just stupid. But then again, it was created by Fox so, that's what we get I suppose.
Peace.
Mugiwara Luffy 04-10-2006 04:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
quote:
The problem is obvious though. The formulas busted, and the writers keep repeating the mistake. You'll have an episode start off with one plotline, something happens, and it leaps to a totally disconnected one.

That's the most alarming problem with the Simpsons at this point in time. Don't get me wrong there are others but this is the one that's really hurt them right now. In each new episode this days, yeah, there are two (or sometimes three) completely different plots that are badly blended in together to give us a rushed, and hardly makes any sense episodes.

I'm starting to think they're doing this on purpose. I've gotten used to episodes that don't make any sense, and it doesn't bother me because they are still funny. The writers still manage to cram a ton of jokes amongst the madness. It's not the unoriginal flashbacks that Family Guy uses so heavily, it's usually something funny written on a sign, or a quick comment by Homer. It may take a second to hit you, but I still think The Simpsons is a good show.

I haven't seen Family Guy in a while so I don't really have an opinion on it. I watched one episode of War at Home and it was ok. The Loop and Free Ride are decent. I miss Arrested Development so much and Futurama will always be my favorite.
Wazpy 04-10-2006 07:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005

How dare you take that sarcastic tone about Method and Red! That show was the high point of television history.
Nine Kuze 04-11-2006 02:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mugiwara Luffy
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
quote:

That's the most alarming problem with the Simpsons at this point in time. Don't get me wrong there are others but this is the one that's really hurt them right now. In each new episode this days, yeah, there are two (or sometimes three) completely different plots that are badly blended in together to give us a rushed, and hardly makes any sense episodes.

I'm starting to think they're doing this on purpose. I've gotten used to episodes that don't make any sense, and it doesn't bother me because they are still funny. The writers still manage to cram a ton of jokes amongst the madness. It's not the unoriginal flashbacks that Family Guy uses so heavily, it's usually something funny written on a sign, or a quick comment by Homer. It may take a second to hit you, but I still think The Simpsons is a good show.

I haven't seen Family Guy in a while so I don't really have an opinion on it. I watched one episode of War at Home and it was ok. The Loop and Free Ride are decent. I miss Arrested Development so much and Futurama will always be my favorite.

That's true, Luffy. But the majority of the time, Family Guy is stuffing the "humorous flashbacks" down our throats so much, that it's realyy starting to hurt the show and its getting harder and harder to see the actually humor. Like you said in things that are given that much attention like Stewie's quick and clever little one liners or one of Homer's puns. The Simpsons is still a good show but they lost a lot of the natural quality that made it so damn good in the first place and everyone's become so generic now (like Bart and Lisa, who I realized annoy the hell out of me. I mean, come on, they're still in the fourth and fifth grade and still like three feet tall after ten years. Come on!)

Also, I watched Futurama last night and it was the episode where Fry drinks 100 cups of coffee. And he says that one line: "Why is my cup shaking?! I do not want my cup shaking!" where he is shaking the cup because of too much coffee. Brillant stuff. They should have brought Futurama back as well.
Peace.
NVWC2006 04-22-2006 12:41 PM
I haven't watched so much Simpsons lately. It used to be one of my favorite shows, but a few years ago, I started to lose interest. The episodes stopped capturing me. I think it might have been a season or two before their 300th episode when I stopped paying so much attention.

Most of my comedy family cartoon watching has gone toward Family Guy, because it's on Cartoon Network and I used to know what time it was on, and i NEVER knew what time anything was on when watching Fox at night.

now i watch much less TV than i used to, so i don't even know when Family Guy is on anymore... however, i knew about the movie. there was an article a year or so ago in TV guide where the producers of The Simpsons said they knew their series was reaching it's end, but wanted to make a movie before it did. so here it is.

i just hope that it can somehow go back to how it was years ago. it was stupid-funny, but not quite as impossibly-stupid as i sometimes feel it is now.
David Ryder 04-22-2006 01:29 PM
quote:
Wow, are the new episodes of Family Guy really THAT bad

They where always bad in my opinion. I never could see what was so funny about Family Guy. All it did was force, awf un-funny jokes down everyones throats, and toss around musical numbers and 80' pop culture references.

quote:
method and red.

Anything with the Wu-Tang clan, I don't watch or listen to. Wu-Tang suck's ass. Yeah I said it. I also thought it was funny on chepelle's (or however it's spelled) show, when they called the chinese people japanese. Boy their smart.
Xel 04-22-2006 02:23 PM
I don't really have anything new to add about the overall quality of The Simpsons these days (though I do agree with the people who say it's declining), but I will point out, since it's bugged me for the longest time now, what poor form and how juvenile it was of The Simpsons to jab at Family Guy for "plagiarism." Uh, what? Maybe there's something I'm not aware of here, but it seems like it was only recently that The Simpsons was the one to air a near-exact reenactment of that episode of Family Guy where Stewie trains the obnoxious Cockney girl to act like a lady. Song parody and all.

As for the movie... I probably won't see it. It's bound to air on TV at some point, so I figure I'll just catch it then.
Mugiwara Luffy 04-22-2006 02:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Xel
Maybe there's something I'm not aware of here, but it seems like it was only recently that The Simpsons was the one to air a near-exact reenactment of that episode of Family Guy where Stewie trains the obnoxious Cockney girl to act like a lady. Song parody and all.

Plaigarism of that episode or yet another parody of My Fair Lady?

Though the quality of Family Guy and The Simpsons may be declining, they still manage to make me laugh fairly consistently.
Xel 04-22-2006 02:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mugiwara Luffy
Plaigarism of that episode or yet another parody of My Fair Lady?

I guess you could slice it either way if you really wanted to. But the fact remains that Family Guy did it first, and man... there had to have been more than one way to go about it. Or so I should think.

Anyhoo.
Sharpshooter005 04-22-2006 03:43 PM
quote:
Anything with the Wu-Tang clan

Careful now, after all...wu-tang clain ain't nothin to f*** with.

edit: Diversify yo bonds.

quote:
Family Guy is stuffing the "humorous flashbacks" down our throats so much

I'd just like to reiterate..theres nothing inherently funny about things from the 1980s. I don't care if I vaguely remember it, I don't care how many times it's repeated. It dosen't change things

The 1980s are not just hysterical by themselves. If I just suddenly post a picture of optimus prime, nobody is going to fall out of their chair in hysterics. And if they do, thats possibly a sign of a brain tumor.
David Ryder 04-22-2006 03:51 PM
quote:
Careful now, after all...wu-tang clain ain't nothin to f*** with.

haha thanks for the heads up sharp. I forgot that they are "Hardcore gangsta's" from "hood" that can't tell the difference from two asian cultures. That and their obsession with overrated gangster movies Scarface, and the Godfather.
Nine Kuze 02-27-2007 04:13 PM
*I'm bringin' it back...*

quote:
"The Simpsons" creator Matt Groening talked to Crave Online about the anticipated movie as well as the future of "Futurama." Here's a clip:

Crave Online: Will the movie finally reveal what state Springfield is in?

Matt Groening: Yes. We actually have a really good joke about that. Remember, I said joke.

Crave Online: Since it's a movie, can you do things you can't do on TV?

Matt Groening: You'll see more of The Simpsons than you really should see and probably things, people you don't want to see. Whoever you don't want to see naked on The Simpsons, you know that's who you're going to see. Sorry about Marge.

The full article is here.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 02-28-2007 09:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by David Ryder
overrated gangster movies Scarface, and the Godfather.

First one, yes (though frankly I still like it, I know its nothing but almost 3 hours of Pacino overacting...but honestly that has its merits). The godfather....that I'd need to take issue with

quote:
Matt Groening: Yes. We actually have a really good joke about that. Remember, I said joke

I'm reading this as a 'no' since in the trailer they pretty much make springfields location even more hysterically improbable

quote:
Matt Groening: You'll see more of The Simpsons than you really should see and probably things, people you don't want to see. Whoever you don't want to see naked on The Simpsons, you know that's who you're going to see.

I really hope they don't go too far into "IT'S A MOVIE NOW WE CAN BE EDGY" territory, thats..not really ever been what the show was (granted during the first few seasons some people didnt really know what to make of it), but it wasn't really ever "lets be 'shocking' for the mere sake of doing it"

Oh well..I've been waiting for this since I was maybe five years old. Even if its terrible I may as well have already paid for a ticket back during the '90s
Nine Kuze 02-28-2007 03:38 PM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by David Ryder
overrated gangster movies Scarface, and the Godfather.

First one, yes (though frankly I still like it, I know its nothing but almost 3 hours of Pacino overacting...but honestly that has its merits). The godfather....that I'd need to take issue with

The Scarface remake is insanely overrated with Pacino, the Howard Hawks original with Paul Muni in 1932 is leagues and galaxies better. The Godfather... yeah, I'm offended. But you know Gaddes' gimmick about the whole wanning about things being overrated just for the sake of them being overrated.

quote:
quote:
Matt Groening: You'll see more of The Simpsons than you really should see and probably things, people you don't want to see. Whoever you don't want to see naked on The Simpsons, you know that's who you're going to see.

I really hope they don't go too far into "IT'S A MOVIE NOW WE CAN BE EDGY" territory, thats..not really ever been what the show was (granted during the first few seasons some people didnt really know what to make of it), but it wasn't really ever "lets be 'shocking' for the mere sake of doing it"

Oh well..I've been waiting for this since I was maybe five years old. Even if its terrible I may as well have already paid for a ticket back during the '90s

That would really hurt the movie and the emphasis of it yeah, but I don't think that they would do that. The film has been in the planning stages since the last five years, so hopefully for all us Simpsons fans it would be worth it. Also, that line about Marge had me worried. Wouldn't want to see that, basically.
Peace.
Dangerous 02-28-2007 07:01 PM
I want to play Frank Grimes' role.
Mike 02-28-2007 08:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by samirsouleyman
I want to play Frank Grimes' role.

You do know he's dead.

Anyway, I REALLY hope that this is good. Otherwise, it would be the downfall of the show. Which would suck, because it started getting good again after like 4 craptacular seasons.
Dangerous 02-28-2007 08:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
You do know he's dead.
I know, it is just to make an apparition in this movie. I spoke about a movie for the Simpson some years ago. One of my knowledge told me Bruce Willis would make a good Homer.
I don't know ...