Dagon Needs some Lovin'

R. Daniel Olk 01 04-06-2006 03:45 PM
Who else thinks Dagon deserves a second chance? He had these mysterious gun barrels around his waist and in his fingers, he had creepy horns, a diabolical smile and... is that... an anchor for a hand? His missiles didn't work against Big O's shields, but then again, what does?
Nine Kuze 04-06-2006 04:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by R. Daniel Olk 01
Who else thinks Dagon deserves a second chance? He had these mysterious gun barrels around his waist and in his fingers, he had creepy horns, a diabolical smile and... is that... an anchor for a hand? His missiles didn't work against Big O's shields, but then again, what does?

Damn, its been such a long time since I've seen the entire seasons of Big O.

What I'm trying to say is, which one is Dagon again?
Peace.
paul1290 04-06-2006 04:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
quote:

Peace.

Here you go.
Big Money 04-06-2006 04:27 PM
Dagon is awesome. I totally ripped off the missile design for Big Money in the MFL...
X Prime 04-06-2006 04:35 PM
It's bitching and moaning pissed me off.

I'm glad its head was blasted off.
Nine Kuze 04-06-2006 04:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by paul1290
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
quote:

Peace.

Here you go.

Oh thanks, paul. Yeah, I'm not feeling Dagon at all. The episode was good until "The Sea Titan" came along. But give me Bonaparte or Glinda. They we're sweet as hell and tough too, gave ol' boy Big O and Roger a hard time.
Peace.
Generalissimo D 04-06-2006 04:41 PM
Dagon FTW.
David Ryder 04-06-2006 04:45 PM
Glinda gave Roger and Big O a tough time? hardly. Big O owned Glinda with what one hit?
Nine Kuze 04-06-2006 04:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
Glinda gave Roger and Big O a tough time? hardly. Big O owned Glinda with what one hit?

Well man, Glinda lasted longer than most of the random megaduses that appeared in Paradigm City. And it was different from the others as well. It had that agility and hell, it did better than Dagon did against the Big O.
Peace.
David Ryder 04-06-2006 04:55 PM
quote:
Glinda lasted longer than most of the random megaduses that appeared in Paradigm City.

That I will agree on, however the whole Glinda thing was an excuse for Big O to show off a new move, much like Beck in episode 18.
ScionofDestiny 04-06-2006 06:19 PM
And yet that was a very important episode - for the Beck mystery anyway. Apparently Beck was more than a small time crook if he had memories about Roger being the Domidus of the Black Megadeus.
The Big Finale 04-06-2006 07:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ScionofDestiny
And yet that was a very important episode - for the Beck mystery anyway. Apparently Beck was more than a small time crook if he had memories about Roger being the Domidus of the Black Megadeus.

Pardon my correcting you; it's “dominus”, not “domidus”.
R. Daniel Olk 01 04-06-2006 07:57 PM
I must admit, when it comes to favorite Megadei, I'd be a sucker for Constanze/Bonaparte tag-team domination!

But Dagon has a WICKED factor that few other Megadei do. And Dagon was nobler than Duo Inferno.
>------------------------------------------------------<

You kiddin' me? Glinda was a major threat! Smith defeated Glinda out of sheer piloting skill, not out of technical superiority. Only Smith could've guided Big O's fist so expertly as to crush the sword.

If Big O were a rogue Megadeus, acting on its own like Glinda essentially was, Glinda would've torn Big O to shreds. Without Roger's unique, intangible ability Big O might never have knocked Glinda to the ground--the only way that Big O could make her stand still long enough to blast her.

>------------------------------------------------------<

Dagon wasn't given a proper chance. I bet if Dagon were piloted by a human and was repaired back to original condition, there'd be some sick combat. Somebody should write or draw something where Dagon gets some 'spect. Tongue
Ollen70 04-07-2006 04:36 AM
Yeah, Dagon woulda been awesome, if it'd been developed a little more. Compared to everything else in the series, I'd say we know the least about Dagon. Who made it? It wasn't a mass-produced model, so it's not a "Big," like O or Duo or Fau. What happened to its pilot? I'm considering writing something about Dagon, but I just wish they'd told us more about it in the show. At this point, I'm not even sure where to start.
Hobodoken 04-07-2006 09:13 AM

Wait, how is Dagon honorable? It wandered around in a depressed stupor, got lit on fire, shot missiles at Big O, and then got a smashing to the noggin.

Also, Glinda would have also easily fallen against Big O without Roger's crack-pilotiong skills. Lean a bit to the side, and Eye Beam her, which could probably puncture her seemingly light armor, continue pecking, and then either Chromebuster, or the O-Thunder.
R. Daniel Olk 01 04-07-2006 10:28 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ollen70
Yeah, Dagon woulda been awesome, if it'd been developed a little more. Compared to everything else in the series, I'd say we know the least about Dagon. Who made it? It wasn't a mass-produced model, so it's not a "Big," like O or Duo or Fau. What happened to its pilot? I'm considering writing something about Dagon, but I just wish they'd told us more about it in the show. At this point, I'm not even sure where to start.

That'd be awesome! Maybe you can take a cue on how to develop Dagon's origins by looking at his design. He has an anchor on his friggin' hand, right? That can suggest that he was meant to locked tight onto a bit of seabottom--or pavement--for a long time, and be able to defend himself very viciously whenever he would need to. He also has a second set of lighted teeth. This can create a theme of a Megadeus with redundancies. Finally, his missiles are pointed upwards when they deploy. One can construe this to mean that Dagon was meant to fire at targets above him.

What I get from all these cues in Dagon's design:

The redundant mouth and anchor makes me think, "Maybe Dagon was like a kind of Black Box, or a lockbox for copies of extra things." In airplanes, the Black Box is a well-encased record of everything that happened during a flight, meant to be recovered for reference if a flight ever crashes. Dagon could've been like a Black Box for the nation that built him--a self-sufficient, self-defending, titanic black box that could lodge himself safely on the seabottom for decades, before activating and resurfacing. We know Dagon had a good stash of Memories up in its head--maybe storing Memories was part of its reason for existing. Ooh, and the name, "Dagon," was a character created by the author H.P. Lovecraft. Dagon was a kind of Dark Lord--kinda like an imposing Sea Titan. Well, since Memories are so powerful in Paradigm City, and since Dagon has so many Memories, I could've seen Dagon (if he'd been fully functional) acting as a sort of central pillar for a new nation. Maybe had special transmitters that could screw with people's brainwaves, and fill them with his own Memories, making them do as he bid.

The anchor and vertically-deploying missiles make me think, "Maybe Dagon was a mass-produced High Seas Megadeus." It would anchor itself on the seabottom, then wait for a ship, submarine, or other seagoing Megadeus (like Fau) to pass by, and fire the missiles up at the passing target. ALSO, all those barrels protruding from Dagon at every angle: those could be underwater maneuvering jets.

Maybe Dagon was both! Cramming a thick wad of Memories into a mass-produced Dagon head could've been a nation's last-ditch effort at preserving itself during a cataclysmic war--like the Event could have been.

Wheeeeeeew! Big Grin I'm just choc full of ideas like this, even without thinking about them for very long.

(And don't think the Glinda debate is over Tongue )

>------------------------------------------------<

quote:
Wait, how is Dagon honorable?

I was saying Dagon was noble because of what Dorothy said. "He's crying out for his old master," or "He lost his master, and is looking for him," or something like that.

That seems rather quaint, like a dog or child seeking its parent all innocently. Only difference is, while a frightened dog has teeth and a baby has a little wail, a Megadeus has WMDs. Shocked
<\:/> 04-07-2006 12:31 PM
Dagon is a bit of a puzzle. Dorothy mentions that he is looking for his "master" but I don't see any place on his body where a cockpit peers out from which to steer him (unless that dark "chin" of his is really a super-tinted cockpit window). This poses three possibilities: 1.) that he has an internal control room similar to, although probably smaller than Big Venus', from which he is piloted; 2.) He is supposed to be remotely piloted somehow (ala Dorothy 1) 3.) he is not meant to be piloted at all and the term "master" refers to something other than a pilot.

Other points of note: He seems to posess an awful lot of memories for the chunky robot he is, so that his most notable feature is his possession of memories. This of course could be referring to his "core memory" which was so sought after by Alex Rosewater for use in Big Fau (but only after he discovered that he needed it). If we are to believe that the divers (servants of the sea titan or whatever they were called) were actually Union agents then perhapse Dagon's core memory was intended to be used in Big Fau, and Dagon's head pounding courtesy of Roger Smith is the reason Big Fau lacked a core memory. If the divers are Paradigm minions, then Big Fau doesn't even come into play.

Interesting idea that just popped into my head: Dagon and Big Fau are both obviously outfitted for use in/around water could Dagon's "master" be Big Fau? I mean, Dagon did seem to have a good deal of pilotless autonomy (kind of like like Archetype) and really doesn't seem to have a place for a human pilot... Just a though...
R. Daniel Olk 01 04-07-2006 02:15 PM
I like your ideas as much as mine, although they seem just as shaky.

The idea of having one type of Megadeus serve another type of Megadeus is tight. Very unique, and, man, scary as hell. I can DEFINITELY imagine Fau leading a school of lesser Dagons into battle.

All the same, I don't think it's a real biggie that we can't see Dagon's cockpit. Beck's Megadeuses didn't really have any visible cockpits, since the eyes served as the viewports. Constanze was completely airtight. Dagon's chin is the right shape and location for a cockpit to be, so I assume it's there. (Plus, that'd make Dagon's cockpit tinted pitch black, making an already sweet-looking Megadeus look... pimpin' ?)

Whatever. The Fau-as-master thing is really cool. Though commanding an army of Dagons would only inflate Fau's ego even more... Tongue

>-----------------------------------------------------<

I'm not a fan of having Dagon carry only Core Memories. I interpret Core Memories as being a sort of conscience for a Megadeus activities, giving its AI reassurance, direction, bearing. If that's all Dagon had in his head, what a bummer!

Maybe the divers had already extracted Dagon's Core Memory, when they went after the lesser Memories in Dagon's head. That could explain why Dagon went berserk even better.

I like to think of Dagon as more of a general bank--like a history of civilization or something. First it makes Dagon's Memories more important to us, for the precious pre-Event insights it would provide. Second, it lets Dagon' memories encompass all kinds of things, human things even, like the personal Memories of his former masters or... civilization!
<\:/> 04-07-2006 06:45 PM
Dagon certainly was all about memories, that is seemingly the only reason the Union or Paradigm was interested in him. I would think the potential to use him as a weapon would have some kind of allure but no, all they wanted were his memories... How did they know he had memories anyway?
Sharpshooter005 04-07-2006 07:01 PM
On an unrelated note. I loved the episodes involving outlying towns having some mysterious presence threatening them (though...okay granted, there were only two like that. Electric city and the dagon one). Those episodes were sort of like silent hill or twin peaks, but with a megadeus involved.

So...yeah, go dagon.