[Fan Fiction] A Songbird's Demise

paul1290 04-01-2006 07:45 PM
He was merely doing what he knew he had to do, the right thing. What was the right thing? Since when did doing the right thing involve betraying your friends and loved ones? For the first time in his life he found himself questioning the logic and rational thought that had guided him throughout his life.

There she was, the target. She just stood there, staring down the barrel of the silver revolver. Was this murder, or just another assassination? Who did he think he was to use such words to justify his actions? He immediately stopped this train of thought. If he kept up that sort of thinking he would find himself no longer able to pull the trigger. The lives of many are worth more then the life of a single individual, or at least that’s what his logic told him.

“You are here to kill me aren’t you” she said as she looked into his eyes.

There was no turning back. He thought about Timothy, Roger, and Norman. They would never forgive him for this. But in five days they will all forget. It would all be over soon.

To be or not to be continued...

So what do you guys think?

I might write another one depending on whether you all like this one or not.
harshfire 04-02-2006 03:48 AM
it sounds good so far! keep going!

later days,
rev
paul1290 04-06-2006 06:53 PM
42 years later...

“What do you plan to do now Roger?” Dorothy asked.

In this case Roger didn’t really have a plan at all. What kind of idiot shoots their hostages before the money arrives? These guys weren’t after the money at all; they were just a bunch of crooks wanting to stir up some trouble for kicks! Both he and Dorothy were taking cover behind the Griffon while the Union thugs and the Military police started to have a shoot-out. The criminal’s unprofessional attitude reminded Roger of Beck. No, they were worse than Beck. At least Beck actually wanted the ransom money! All of a sudden a rocket-propelled grenade flew over their heads and impacted the ground about a hundred feet in front of them. Dorothy quickly grabbed hold of Roger’s arm. Roger could feel a slight hint of trembling. Was she scared?

“Awaiting your orders Colonel Dastun!” an officer said.

“This is a real drag! At this rate we’ll be out here for hours. Get Trevor on the line now!” Dastun replied.

to be continued...

I'll probably have to come up with a new title later as the original one no longer applies.
I've decided to go back and forth between the time before the amnesia and the present time to make things more interesting. Big Grin
paul1290 04-09-2006 02:50 PM
42 years earlier...

The target lay there, dead. All it took was a bullet between the eyes. It was a quick death. She didn’t feel any pain. The deed was done.

“You bastard!!! How could you do such a thing?” A voice said from behind him.

He turned around and saw a young blond girl in her twenties wearing a pink dress. She was standing in the doorway blocking his way out. She pointed a gun at him.

“You don’t understand. I had no other choice.” He said.

“What are you talking about?” She said. “I saw you murder her! What sort of justification could you have?”

He turned around and walked towards her. She was shaking with fear so much that if she pulled the trigger now her chances of hitting him were slim to none. The flicker of a light bulb illuminated his face.

“It’s you!” she said in astonishment. “You’re the one who…” But she was too afraid to finish. She immediately ran off.

That was it. He had hoped the darkness and shadow would hide his face and he would be able to spare her life. Now she knew who he was. If she runs off and warns Timothy then this will all be for nothing. Now she was a threat he had to get rid of.

To be continued...
paul1290 04-21-2006 04:17 PM
42 years later...

“Home already Master Roger?” Norman asked as Roger and Dorothy stepped out of the elevator.

“It was a mess. The creeps didn’t even want the money.” Roger replied.

Roger sat at his desk and turned over a few hourglasses while Dorothy went upstairs and played the piano. Roger actually liked hearing Dorothy’s piano playing, but he never told her that. I have been a very busy and stressful week for Roger. He had to handle a negotiation almost every day for the past two weeks. Dorothy, having paid off her debt, had become his assistant and now received twenty percent of the payment. At first Roger was skeptical but it turned out to be very worth it, especially during such a busy week. Just when he thought he could take a break, the phone rang.

“Not again.” Roger said irritably. “Tell them I’m busy right now.”

“But Master Roger, it’s a job offer from the president of the Paradigm Corporation.” Norman said. “She says it's important.”

“In that case tell her I’ll be there in an hour.” Roger replied.

to be continued...
Lost_Cyborg 04-22-2006 06:28 AM
Wow, this is awesome, keep up the good work ^^
paul1290 04-29-2006 06:00 PM
Roger and Dorothy came in through the front entrance of the Paradigm Corporation building. It was a busy as it always was on Mondays and the main hall was very crowded. As usual, to get to the top floor you had to take the elevator at the far end of the hallway. They didn’t spend much time in the waiting room before two people stepped out of Angel’s office.

“So you see, the large abandoned hanger on the west side of JFK Mark would be a perfect place to set up the platform.” One of them said to the other before noticing Roger and Dorothy. “Hi Roger. Didn’t expect to see you here.”

“Oh it’s you Paul. Didn’t expect to see you here either.” Roger replied. “Who’s this?”

“Oops, I forgot you two haven’t met before. Roger, this is Colonel Scion of the Military Police Elite Operations Division.” Paul Wilson replied.

“How are things going these days Colonel?” Roger said.

“Very well actually.” Colonel Scion replied. “We were just talking about installing a defensive missile platform just outside the city, hopefully it will make it easier to defend ourselves against megadeus attacks.”

“Well, good luck with that.” Roger said as he and Dorothy stepped into Angel’s office.

“Hello Roger, long time no see.” Angel said.

“Right back at you.” Roger said. “So, how’s your new job been treating you?”

“Ok, I guess.” Angel replied. “A bit boring though, nothing unusual ever happens here.”

“I definitely know what that feels like. Actually, right now I wish things would quite down a little, I’ve been really busy lately” Roger said. “Now about what you called me here for.”

“Oh that.” Angel replied. “You have heard about those former Union members causing trouble around the city haven’t you?”

Roger had heard about this sort of thing countless times. After the Big-Venus incident, the Union had almost completely dissolved and most of its former members went back to having peaceful ordinary lives. Unfortunately, there were those who thought they still had to fight against the Paradigm Corporation. Angel had been trying to convince these people that there was no reason to continue fighting anymore.

to be continued...

Decided to have a bit of fun with this chapter. Big Grin
Lost_Cyborg 04-30-2006 05:58 AM
Oooo sounds good.

Oh-and just thought I'd point out, you put 'quite' instead of 'quiet' in there some where.
ScionofDestiny 04-30-2006 09:31 PM
I think you are really on to something - I already told you what I thought at savebigo forums - but I felt the need to reaffirm it.
paul1290 05-05-2006 06:54 PM
The job Angel described involved negotiating with a few former Union members gathering near Electric City. They supposedly have gotten their hands on a megadeus and were threatening to use it to attack Paradigm City if their demands are not met.
The Griphon sped down the road with considerable speed. As usual the streets leading out of Paradigm City were empty at this hour.

“I think this must be the place.” Roger said as he parked the Griphon next to an abandoned factory a few blocks away from the hydroelectric plant.

“Roger, something doesn’t feel right.” Dorothy said.

“What do you mean?” Roger asked.

“You know that feeling that you say you always get when you think your being watched.” Dorothy said. “I think I’m experiencing something similar right now.”

“Let’s just hope you’re wrong.” Roger said as they entered the building.

No sign of the Union people. The factory was empty except for a few wooden crates and some old machinery. The roof was full of holes. Suddenly, Roger spotted someone standing on the roof looking down at them through one of the holes in the roof. It was too dark to see his face.

“Who are you?” Roger called out to him.

“Doesn’t matter who I am.” The strange individual said back at them. “All that matters is that I have you right where I want you.”

A man in a trench coat sneaked up behind Dorothy and knocked her out with a stun gun before running out the door and locking the door behind him.

“Dorothy!” Roger cried out.

“That’s so you can’t use her strength to get out.” The man on the roof said. “You’re the one who pilots the black megadeus. With you out of the way I should have no problem destroying Paradigm City.”

A bomb went off at the other end of the building and the whole place caught fire.

“Goodbye Negotiator!” the man on the roof laughed before walking away.

Roger picked up the unconscious Dorothy and tried to open the door. It was locked shut. There were no windows in the factory either.

“Big-O it’s showtime!!!” Roger said into his watch, but nothing happened. The signal was being jammed.

“Damn! That creep is going to let us burn to death in here.” Roger exclaimed. “How the heck are we going to get out of this one?”

to be continued...
Pygmalion 05-11-2006 09:04 PM
I'm enjoying the story, Paul. However,
quote:
Originally posted by paul1290

seems a trifle informal for either Angel or Roger to say. Particularly if she's offering him a contract.

Pygmalion
MultiMedea 05-13-2006 12:46 AM
Intriguing! Especially if the hitman in the first installment is who I think it is. Pleased
Nine Kuze 05-13-2006 01:40 PM
I actually sat down to read this and I've have got to say its rather good, paul. I really like the style of storytelling that you've decided to use, going from one time to another, but you kind of drifted away from the future plotline a bit. Hope you come back to that in the next edition.

quote:
Originally posted by Pygmalion
I'm enjoying the story, Paul. However,
quote:

seems a trifle informal for either Angel or Roger to say. Particularly if she's offering him a contract.

Pygmalion

Yeah, I have to agree with Pygmalion on this point. It seems a little produced and fake (like George Lucas' relationship with Anakin and Padme in Star Wars. You knew they were supposed to be together but the the dialogue in the relationship sucked hard. Not that bad really, but that's the best example I can think of at the moment), but still through all this, you've kept the feel of Big O and I'm looking forward to more. Smile
Peace.
paul1290 05-15-2006 08:03 PM
“Wake up Dorothy. Please wake up. Roger needs you.”

It was a voice, a young girl’s voice. Dorothy didn’t know where it was coming from. It was total darkness in all directions. The voice seemed to be coming from everywhere.

“Who are you? What do you mean wake up?” Dorothy asked.

“You’re asleep, you’re dreaming. Wake up now! Roger is in trouble!” The voice said.

With a clicking sound Dorothy regained consciousness. She became aware of the heat and the smoke that began to fill the building. After a few moments she was able to move again. She saw Roger frantically trying to open the door. He had still not noticed that she was awake.

“Don’t just stand there, break the door down for him.” The voice said again. This time it sounded like it was coming from inside her head.

“Wait a sec, who are you and why are you helping me?” Dorothy asked.

“I’ll explain later, just concentrate on getting out of there.” The voice replied.

Roger was startled somewhat as Dorothy walked up to the locked door. He didn’t expect her to wake up so soon. She punched the door as hard as she could, but it didn't even budge.

“Roger, I can’t knock it down. The lock is too strong.” Dorothy said.

“There’s a crowbar leaned against that wall over there you can use.” The voice said.

Dorothy looked around and immediately spotted the crowbar. She tried using it to pry door open. At first it still wouldn’t move, but after applying more force there was the sound of the lock mechanism breaking and the door flew open. Roger and Dorothy made their way back to the Griffon and drove away. Dorothy glanced back at the burning wreck.

“Well that was fun.” The mysterious voice said.

Dorothy wanted to reply but didn’t because it would have been awkward if Roger noticed her seemingly talking to herself. She would have to wait until they got back to the mansion.

to be continued...

quote:

I was trying to lighten the dark and serious mood from the previous chapters (especially the "42 years ago" ones). I guess I might have overdone it a bit. Big Grin

It might be a couple weeks before I get the next one posted because I'll be very busy for the next week or so.
paul1290 06-03-2006 12:35 PM
42 years earlier…

The woman in the pink dress hid in the closet as she heard the sound of footsteps in the adjacent hallway. She sat still and silent as she heard the man enter the room. Suddenly a bullet was fired through the closet door and passed right by her ear. She panicked and fired a bullet through the door using her own weapon. There was the sound of him collapsing on the floor. She climbed out of the closet and found the assassin dead. She hurried back to the room where her friend’s corpse was. There was still one chance. Good thing she didn’t weigh much so it was easy to drag her all the way to the megadeus hanger.

“Big-O.” the woman in the pink dress said.

The megadeus woke up. Big-O looked down at her and realized what had happened. The cockpit doors opened. She sat her friend’s body in the command chair. A cable circled around from behind the chair and penetrated the dead body’s skull. After a long while the cable detached and returned to it’s usual place behind the command chair.

“Please look after her for me.” the woman in pink dress said.

to be continued...
pen1300 06-03-2006 07:44 PM
quote:
“Wait a sec, who are you and why are you helping me?” Dorothy asked.

I'm not sure Dorothy would go "Wait a sec." And the other comment, that just seems unprofessional, for both of them and we know how professional they like to try to act. Smile

Otherwise, I think you're onto something also. I'd like to see how this develops, especially the 42 year flashback. That intrigues me the most!Smile

Later,
Pen1300
paul1290 06-11-2006 08:58 AM
42 years later…

“Thomas Fisher.” Colonel Scion said as he read the file. “Age: unknown. Height: unknown. Appearance: unknown. Permanent address: unknown. Known Nicknames: “The Darkness”. Wanted for spreading fear among the citizens of Paradigm City and as of a yesterday, arson. Often called a Schwarzwald copycat due to his similar methods.”

“Ok, so what you’re saying is that we no nothing about this guy, not even what he looks like.” Paul said sitting in an office chair opposite of Colonel Scion’s desk. “So Kevin, how do you plan on catching this guy.”

Kevin Scion took the file from the cabinet and set it on his desk.

“There was one sighting though,” he said. “Roger Smith and Dorothy Wayneright claim to have gotten a glimpse of him, but neither of them got a clear view of him. Until he strikes again we really can’t do much.”

“So we have to sit and wait for now.” Paul asked.

“That would be correct.” Colonel Scion replied.

to be continued...
Nine Kuze 06-12-2006 05:22 PM
Nice to see you coming back with this short story series, paul. I really enjoy it and I'm looking forward to see where the story continues from here!
Peace.
paul1290 06-18-2006 07:01 PM
It was a very unusual request. Dorothy asked Roger to take her to Timothy Wayneright’s grave. Roger knew that Dorothy never really thought of Timothy as her father, but he knew she probably had her reasons and didn’t question her.

“Could you leave. I want to be alone for a while.” Dorothy asked as she looked down at the gravestone.

Roger went back the Griffon to wait for her. Dorothy stood there silently for almost an hour. She sensed sadness, but it wasn’t really her own.

to be continued...
paul1290 07-05-2006 01:46 PM
“Roger seems to be doing quite well. He hasn’t changed a bit.” The mysterious voice said.

Dorothy told Roger that she needed some alone time before going to her room and locking the door.

“You have been talking ever since we left the graveyard and I still don’t know who or what you are.” Dorothy asked.

“Who do you think I am?” The voice said.

It was starting to become apparent that the voice was toying with her and having a fun time doing it. Dorothy was starting to feel a negative emotion that she never experienced before. Could this emotion be what Roger calls frustration?

“Well if you must know then I guess you can call me a ghost.” The voice replied.

“A ghost? You mean someone who’s already dead?” Dorothy asked.

“Yes.” The voice replied. “I’m the human Dorothy you were modeled after.”

“The human Dorothy died years ago. How did you come back as a ghost?” Dorothy asked.

“You know how all the children Gordon Rosewater implanted memories into can’t remember any of them? Those memories were meant to stay hidden until they got the certain age. I’m a part of your memory. Since your memories are starting to come back to you, I came back with them.” The voice said.

“But I don’t have my core memory anymore. Alex Rosewater stole it to complete Big Fau.” Dorothy said.

“True, but the memories were never in your core memory. Father stored my, I mean our, memories in Big-O. They were transferred to you when you linked with Big-O during the fight with Big-Fau. And…”

There was a long pause. Dorothy realized something must be wrong.

“What is it?” Dorothy asked.

“Now that I think about it, I’m not supposed to be here.” The voice said. “You were supposed to get only your memories. I was not supposed to exist as a separate personality. Somehow my personality must have been transferred to you along with the memories.” The voice said.

“You mean the soul wasn’t supposed to be attached to the memories?” Dorothy asked.

“There was no need. You were supposed to develop your own personality. It seems that you have, but somehow I’m still here as a separate personality.” The voice replied.

“Why do you think that is?” Dorothy asked.

“I don’t know. I don’t remember.” The voice said.

to be continued...

I originally intended this explanation to be told in bits and pieces through several chapters. However, I really wanted to go on to telling what happens next so I ended up cramming it into one chapter. I apologize if it's a bit sloppy.