Superman Returns and Smallville tie in

DorothyFan1 03-31-2006 08:19 AM
As we've all heard (unless you've been hiding on Mars) the Superman franchise is coming back. I have my quibbles with the hiring of Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane.
spoiler (highlight to read):
She wears a wig! WTF!? She's way too young for the role and brings down the movie. They should have hired Selma Blair or heck, Rachel McAdams.

I believe this movie will be the one to see and X-Men 3 the one to AVOID. Bryan Singer the director is a kid at heart and knows how to tug at the emotion strings. (Check out X-Men and X-Men 2:United to see what I'm talking about on DVD). For this reason alone I'm seeing Superman Returns.

But the problem is Smallville. I've been watching the show on and off for a while now...and NOT taking any of it seriously because it's a retcon of the Superman myths. Chloe Sullivan?! I dearly LUV this actress Allison Mack...but she was undercast as this out of the ballpark non mythology character like this. She should have been cast as Lois Lane...for the series as well as the movie itself. That would have been inspired casting. Oh well.

Smallville may actually bring down Superman Returns because of all the retconning. I'm wondering if the producers on that show are aware of this and will they take the high road and allow this program to end and let the Superman movie franchise take over? Methinks they should. Enough with the Lana/no Lana nonsense on Smallville and bring on the Superman we love. This Smallville series would have been alot better had they spent time to create and update the coming of Bruce Wayne as Clark Kent's friend (for as anybody knows...they become "friends" for a while (if you're following the Frank Miller mythology...which I take is the true gospel of the Superman/Batman story).

So...Smallville MUST end before Superman Returns is on the widescreen. I really don't care about "Lana" or "Chloe" because we don't see them EVER in the Superman mythology of today. So I hope they stop the nonsense that is Smallville and let's get on with the real story of Superman.
Nine Kuze 03-31-2006 02:02 PM
quote:
She wears a wig! WTF!? She's way too young for the role and brings down the movie. They should have hired Selma Blair or heck, Rachel McAdams

Yeah, I read about the whole damn deal about Superman Returns last year and yeah, I'm sure as hell not buying the whole Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane deal. She's not that bad of an actress but I just can't see anyone pull off Lois Lane the way Teri Hatcher did in the Lois and Clark series way back when. In my mind, SHE IS LOIS LANE! Period.

quote:
But the problem is Smallville. I've been watching the show on and off for a while now...and NOT taking any of it seriously because it's a retcon of the Superman myths

Yes it is but I actually like Smallville to a degree. Its the only show that I'm actually able to force myself to watch on the WB from time to time. (What a horrible channel. When the hell is fall going to get here?)

quote:
Chloe Sullivan?! I dearly LUV this actress Allison Mack...but she was undercast as this out of the ballpark non mythology character like this. She should have been cast as Lois Lane...for the series as well as the movie itself.

I like the Chloe Sullivan character and I like other two women, Lana Lang (played by Kristen Kreuk who is fine) and Lois Lane (I don't know who plays her). They're actuallly pretty good but none of them should have been and should be near the Superman Returns set. They do an okay job on Smallville (which is on the WB remember) but picking anyone of them to do Lois Lane in the movie would be horrible for them and more importantly, the movie.

quote:
Smallville may actually bring down Superman Returns because of all the retconning. I'm wondering if the producers on that show are aware of this and will they take the high road and allow this program to end and let the Superman movie franchise take over?

Yeah, I don't think that's going to happen. I think they already signed on Smallville for another season and from this, they're bringing on the Aquaman series in the fall, when the CW Network comes around.

The Smallville actors couldn't be in the movie anyway, just like how everyone thought Tom Welling was going for the Superman role. They would have to cancel the whole season... actually, when you think about it, I don't see a problem with this. Big Grin
Peace.
Hobodoken 03-31-2006 02:12 PM
I don't think there's any reason to cancel Smallville... it's not like the Batman cartoons adversely affected the movies. Also, I don't see why Frank Miller's redesign of Superman is any more relevant than whoever did Smallville. Neither wrote the character, and I think Smallville's made more money, seeing as comics aren't known to generate vast stores of wealth.