Unoffical Bleach discussion

Green_Bird 03-30-2006 02:17 PM
That's right folks. Adult swim is going to pick up Bleach this year and it will beguin airing in the fall sometime.

quote:
Adult Swim Unveils a Full Slate

Anthony Crupi

MARCH 30, 2006 -

Cartoon Network's Adult Swim has five new series, two pilots and a handful of anime acquisitions on tap for 2006-07.

New animated strips include Death Clock Metalocalypse, a satirical look at a cataclysmic heavy metal band; Frisky Dingo (formerly titled Whiskey Tango Six), which focuses on a diabolical genius named Killface and his attempts to kick-start the Apocalypse; and the irreverently titled Assy McGee, starring a cartoon cop whose nickname derives from the fact that he looks like a giant derriere.

Also in the hopper are Saul of the Mole Men, a mix of live-action, puppetry and animation set to debut in late 2006, and Lucy, The Daughter of the Devil, a story about a Left Coast girl and how her doting dad, the Dark Lord Satan, interferes with her dating life. Adult Swim has ordered 10 episodes of Lucy in anticipation of a debut in the fourth quarter of this year.

The net will also return nine series, including Robot Chicken, 12oz. Mouse and Aqua Teen Hunger Force. The latter series will also spawn a theatrical film set to open this fall.

In a bid to bolster programming for its expanded animé block, which now includes three weeknight premieres at 12:30 a.m., Adult Swim has locked in two representatives of the genre with Eureka Seven (out April 15) and Bleach (out fall 2006). It also returns InuYasha to its Tuesday night slot.

Lastly, pilots in development are Korgoth of Barbaria, a dystopian action/comedy pilot that will premiere in September, and That Crook'd 'Sip, an examination of the lives of a family trying to keep its shabby Southern gentility intact in the face of a crunk-fueled Dirty South. 'Sip debuts this fall.

Anyway....even though the news is out about Bleach being on AS....theres still no word on what studio and VAs they're going to use for the dubbing....

At times like this....I kick myself for not having cable >_< ....
Sharpshooter005 03-30-2006 02:24 PM
quote:
The net will also return nine series

quote:
12oz. Mouse

I've officially been placated.

quote:
Aqua Teen Hunger Force. The latter series will also spawn a theatrical film set to open this fall.

There was any doubt this would be coming back?

I don't see any mention of "tom goes to the mayor" in here...maybe thats finally gone.
IanC 03-30-2006 02:32 PM
quote:
Anyway....even though the news is out about Bleach being on AS....theres still no word on what studio and VAs they're going to use for the dubbing....

Surely you mean what studio Viz will use?
Green_Bird 03-30-2006 02:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by IanC
quote:

Surely you mean what studio Viz will use?

Yeah....everyone's hoping it will be like Naruto and get Bang Zoom! but no offical word has been said about it or the voice acters for that matter....sorry if it wasn't clear enugh Embarrassed Sweatdrop
David Ryder 03-30-2006 02:45 PM
Not surprised by this one. Also Naruto is done by Studio E (studiopolis, Inc). I hope they go with them cause I wanna hear Quniton Flynn is some more anime.
Tickle Tickle 03-30-2006 03:54 PM
Great. More kids shows going on Adult Swim. Way to go Cartoon Network, I guess Toonami is just fine and dandy with Naruto and Bobobo? Pfft.
Paradigm Dog 03-30-2006 08:41 PM
Like Eureka Seven, this announcement of Bleach has me feeling pretty neutral and blah. Neither seem particularly outstanding overall, and both seem suited to Toonami more so than Adult Swim. I think each would have shined better under Toonami.

Right now I'm really hoping G4TV figures out their reportedly "technical difficulties" with Anime Unleashed and gets some overlooked, exciting anime as they've done in the past with Last Exile, Gungrave, and RahXephon. Maybe something like "Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo". I heard Adult Swim turned it down, but that Geneon really wanted it broadcast. I've seen the first episode through Newtype USA and its writing and atmosphere were really interesting.

It seems like Adult Swim decided to play it safe and go with two commercially popular anime. A smart move in many respects, but at the same time, it doesn't guarantee the same success in the US.
Green_Bird 03-31-2006 06:57 PM
Toonami would edit the crap out of them...or rather Viz would like they did with Naruto. Alot of fans would be more unhappy with CN AND Viz then. I mean think about it Chizuru and her hitting on Orhime would have to be completly cut out....then there's the all the blood, then there's some of the hollow designs....you can't gear it twords a young American crowd like you can with Naruto. There's to many things that need to be edited out to meet the standards of primetime American TV....not to mention the fact, as I said before, hardcore fans would be furious to hear that their favorite show was turned kid friendly and we then would have a replay of the Naruto fiasco. So personaly I think that getting AS to run it is a good idea. But then that's just me...I wached a few episodes (mainly stick to the manga) and It's more or less AS fare then Toonami fare.
David Ryder 03-31-2006 07:15 PM
Green birds right. Bleach is better suited for AS, where it can most likely get way uncut, maybe a small edit here and there. For the sake of Bleach fan, it doesn't need to end up like Kenshin.
Tickle Tickle 03-31-2006 07:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Green_Bird
Toonami would edit the crap out of them...or rather Viz would like they did with Naruto. Alot of fans would be more unhappy with CN AND Viz then. I mean think about it Chizuru and her hitting on Orhime would have to be completly cut out....then there's the all the blood, then there's some of the hollow designs....you can't gear it twords a young American crowd like you can with Naruto. There's to many things that need to be edited out to meet the standards of primetime American TV....not to mention the fact, as I said before, hardcore fans would be furious to hear that their favorite show was turned kid friendly and we then would have a replay of the Naruto fiasco. So personaly I think that getting AS to run it is a good idea. But then that's just me...I wached a few episodes (mainly stick to the manga) and It's more or less AS fare then Toonami fare.

So what? Just because a show has some mature material doesn't make it adult. Just look at Dragon Ball Z (or to a lesser extent, Sailor Moon) yes you have violence, nudity, and perverted humor but it's still a kid's show. If Bleach wasn't a kid show, it wouldn't be published in Shonen Jump, a magazine for pre-teen boys.

Adult Swim needs to pick up more adult oriented series like Monster (if we ever get it here), and Count of Monte Cristo. Hell, even series like Dirty Pair and Excel Saga are well suited for AS.

In short:

If Yu Yu Hakusho had to go to Toonami, so should Bleach. Simple as that.
Green_Bird 03-31-2006 07:47 PM
You seem to be missing the point. Yes....it is a kids show, IN JAPAN....but here, it would be consitered an older Teen material. You have to look at it this way. America has diffrent standers for shows (not to mention cartoons as a whole) then Japan does. Here in the US Cartoons are consited wholesom family entertainment with out blood, killing, nudity, sexual situations, and drinking, where the good guys always win. In Japan, pre-teens are alot more mature, so it's the complete opposite.

But if you trace the history of animation back to the early Disney days. Cartoons were not made for kids. Heck, Mickey Mouse drunk beer and smoked and Minnie had panty shots for gosh sakes. But sometime in the 60s that all changed and they started to make cartoons geared twards kids and edit the other ones to fit the new demographic. Anime is some what based off of Disney....but has retained the idea that all cartoons are not made for kids. Not to menton like I said. Their pre-teens are more mature then ours...
Tickle Tickle 03-31-2006 08:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Green_Bird
You seem to be missing the point. Yes....it is a kids show, IN JAPAN....but here, it would be consitered an older Teen material. ...

No, you seem to be missing the point. It's a series made for CHILDREN. It doesn't what country it's in, IT'S A KID SHOW. It doesn't matter how many boobies, violence, gore, or homosexuals there is in Bleach, IT'S A KID SHOW. Just because the content in the series may be viewed as a bit mature, doesn't mean the series is mature.

Dragon Ball Z has a "Teen Rating" on it's DVDs, but it's still a children series. Yes, we see Freeza get sliced in half. Yes, we see Gohan's manhood. Yes, we see Bulma topless, it's still a kid's show. The plot and story are made for CHILDREN. Just like with Bleach. Sailor Moon has homosexual themes, nudity, and violence but it's still a series made for little girls.

quote:
You have to look at it this way. America has diffrent standers for shows (not to mention cartoons as a whole) then Japan does. Here in the US Cartoons are consited wholesom family entertainment with out blood, killing, nudity, sexual situations, and drinking, where the good guys always win.

The Simpsons is labeled as a series for the Families, yet that has nudity, drinking, violence, and sexual situations. Lots of children cartoons have the themes stated above. In almost every Diseny movie someone dies, violently too. There's alot of nudity in shows like Billy and Mandy, Dexter's Lab, and lots of other series that air on Cartoon Network.

quote:
In Japan, pre-teens are alot more mature, so it's the complete opposite

Says who?

quote:
But if you trace the history of animation back to the early Disney days. Cartoons were not made for kids. Heck, Mickey Mouse drunk beer and smoked and Minnie had panty shots for gosh sakes.

Yes, because drinking and panty shots are really X-rated material. Roll Eyes
Sharpshooter005 03-31-2006 08:30 PM
I um...I've heard Bleach compared to DBZ.

Is that true? Because if it is...theres 30 minutes I know I'll be allocating towards something else.

quote:
Hell, even series like Dirty Pair and Excel Saga are well suited for AS.

If I look into the mirror, and say "Noir" three times. Will it then automatically be shown on AS.

...Yeah I'm not done saying that'd be the optimum series for them to air.

quote:
Says who?

Is this going to become another one of those "the grass is always greener on the other side of the pacific" debates, where it just goes in a huge circle and nothing is accomplished?
Paradigm Dog 03-31-2006 08:44 PM
-Noir on AS would be a good pick-up, Sharpshooter, but I don't see that happening. AS probably thinks it's too "old". Roll Eyes

-Umino makes a good point about Yu Yu. That ran on Toonami, and despite its cuts, it didn't turn the show into junk. I still really enjoyed it. HOWEVER, I can understand that established fans who expect one thing will feel cheated, and I respect the noted opinions.

-Umino: Supposedly Adult Swim turned down Count of Monte Cristo, even though Geneon really wanted them to air it. What a shame. I saw the first episode through NEWTYPE USA and it really impressed me. I think there's a good chance G4TV might pick it up, though. After all, they had Gungrave from Geneon and Geneon allegedly wanted Cristo on TV. This is assuming Anime Unleashed gets back up and running, which it's supposed to eventually.
Schoolie 03-31-2006 09:12 PM
So can someone tell me a little more about Bleach? From what I've gathered it sounds like a fantasy/YuYu type show.

It's too bad CN has shifted nearly all their efforts on Williams Street comedy stuff.

There are a lot of anime shows (most less than 10 years old) out there I'd love to see (without having to rent/buy DVDs!):

Noir
Full Metal Panic!
Patlabor
Azumanga Daioh
Nadesico
Fafner
Heat Guy J

to name a few . . .
Paradigm Dog 03-31-2006 10:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Schoolie
So can someone tell me a little more about Bleach? From what I've gathered it sounds like a fantasy/YuYu type show.

It's too bad CN has shifted nearly all their efforts on Williams Street comedy stuff.

There are a lot of anime shows (most less than 10 years old) out there I'd love to see (without having to rent/buy DVDs!):

Noir
Full Metal Panic!
Patlabor
Azumanga Daioh
Nadesico
Fafner
Heat Guy J

to name a few . . .

Actually, HEAT GUY J already ran on TV a few years ago on MTV--I think it was in 2004.

As for Bleach--
From animenewsnetwork.com:
Kurosaki Ichigo is a 15 year old boy that has an ability to see ghosts/spirits. Because of his ability, he is able to meet a female death god (a.k.a Shinigami) named Kuchiki Rukia. To save his family and friends from unwanted soul-eating spirits (Hollows), Rukia transfers her Shinigami powers to Ichigo. As Rukia takes on a human shell, together they solve mysteries involving spirits and hollows until from the spirit world comes 2 other shinigamis explaining that it is illegal to transfer Shinigami powers to humans and Rukia exceeded the time limit to stay in the human world. After they sentence her death for breaking the laws, Ichigo snaps and swears to everyone he will retrieve Rukia by breaking into the spirit world.

It does sound a lot like Yu Yu, but its art is colored more like Naruto and it's supposed to be more violent.
David Ryder 04-01-2006 08:04 AM
quote:
Says who?

Japanophile's I would seem. Because in 98% of all anime fans minds "JAPAN OMFG!!!!! ROX! AMERICA IS TEH SUX!!!!"

quote:
"the grass is always greener on the other side of the pacific" debates

Looks that way. Perhaps there's still hope though.
Gato Gurl914 04-01-2006 01:04 PM
i'm a big fan of the manga, and am personally so very exicted. any news on when it's supposed to premeir?
Sharpshooter005 04-01-2006 02:51 PM
http://bleachpreview.ytmnd.com/

Okay that was sort of funny
Shredder 04-01-2006 11:51 PM
I think the problem is more that CN doesn't really have a "teen" block, which is where something like Bleach would fit. It's a pretty good series
spoiler (highlight to read):
(although I prefer the first arc to the Soul Society arc, even though that had some great moments, too.)
Anyway, not my absolute favorite show, but I'd recommend it (good action/comedy/characters) and will check out the dub.