PS2 controller troubleshooting

Schoolie 03-27-2006 11:24 PM
Help!

After not playing my PS2 much for quite a while - less than a couple of hours for at least six months or so - I tried playing some new games on it and found out my controller's not all there.

What I mean is that my triangle and circle buttons are not working. This becomes problematic when I need to use them in the game or even to START the game like Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3. Also, I think the R1/R2 buttons may be faulty too.

For a few times, it worked - but I had to hammer down on the buttons pretty hard.

Any advice? Any similiar experiences? Is this just a problem with my controller? (How much does one cost?)

I hope it's just the controller. Otherwise, if my PS2 is circling the drain, I'll probably just wait and purchase a PS3.
Travis Bickle 03-27-2006 11:28 PM
It's safe to assume that it's just the controller. A new one (by sony) is like $20.
Paradigm Dog 03-28-2006 11:03 AM
I'd say it's just the controller, Schoolie. I've had controller issues, too. I've had a particular PS2 controller for some 4 years or so, and it's right analog stick does not register if I move it diagonally right unless I do so slowly and gradually. It can be a pain, but I've lived with it. Also, the base of my controller's plug wire is loose and I'll occassionally lose the signal of the controller to the PS2. They don't make controllers like they used to. lol. Even my Gamecube controller has some issues with the C-Stick after too many rounds of Metroid Prime.
paul1290 03-28-2006 08:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Paradigm Dog
Even my Gamecube controller has some issues with the C-Stick after too many rounds of Metroid Prime.

Are you sure? I thought the only thing you use the C-stick for in Metroid Prime was for switching beams.

Seriously though, a lot of people forget that the controllers are not considered a permanent part of your console. They wear out on a regular basis, it's perfectly normal. If your going to use a console for any more than a couple years, than you'll probably have to replace the controller somewhere along the line. I suggest buying a replacement controller if one or more of the control sticks don't register movement in an area more than 2/3 of a centimeter in diameter. However, if one of the buttons fail before the control stick does that (which doesn't happen often) then that would also indicate you need a replacement.
Mugiwara Luffy 03-28-2006 09:04 PM
All my controllers work fine. Maybe I just don't play video games as much as you people.

Now that I think about it though, the control stick on one of my N64 controllers did become slightly loose. Blame that on Mario Pary and the stupid "rotate as fast as possible" games. Which also caused blisters...