my new song: nonsonata

NVWC2006 03-27-2006 03:43 PM
so yeah, a number of you have probably heard my previous works... i normally arrange music from other sources, often video games, to be played in different bands.

this time, i'm entering a contest. one must compose a college level piano song, and it's a good idea, though not required, to use themes and variants.

it's also a good idea to make an accomponying MIDI...

so those who know music or just want a listen, you can find it by clicking here.

please, though, this is my ORIGINAL work, it has no copyrights or anything on it, so just putting it online alone is VERY unsafe. i'm asking that if you listen to this, that you don't give the midi away, that u clear ur temp internet files, the whole kitten kaboogle, because i'm paranoid that someone else will get it, remix it a bit, and steal my work.

constructive criticism is appreciated!
Asirt 03-27-2006 06:31 PM
From the MIDI file you posted, the song sounds pretty good for the most part. There's nothing bad about this song, so there's not much I can say about it. It's probably just me, but this song sounds like it could be in a video game level or something, lol. Great job and good luck to you. Smile
evanASF27 03-29-2006 01:25 PM
Hmm... it's interesting. If you were going for a classical-ish style, you've gone towards Nintendo more than Beethoven. It's interesting at certain bits and for a good portion of the time it's nice spreading out melody and countermelody throughout both treble and bass clef parts... but there are a couple section where I'm kinda wincing, if only from being unsure if it sounds good or not. The first is around the 1min42sec point of the midi where it goes into a wierd key change, but it doesn't seem to have both melody and chords in the new key! The second point is around 3min06sec point (give or take a few seconds) where the chord movements seem to either be a little too flat or sharp dunno..but it's a little funky.

A guy looking over my shoulder says it's "impressive", he noticed right off the bat the video game style you incorperated. It's very well composed, a little drawn out at one or two moments (but only for a second of two at either time), but definately a hit. Let's hope your judges are fans of Zelda Wink

(Edit: Because I might not have directly said this earlier....I like it! Big Grin )
NVWC2006 03-29-2006 02:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Asirt
From the MIDI file you posted, the song sounds pretty good for the most part. There's nothing bad about this song, so there's not much I can say about it. It's probably just me, but this song sounds like it could be in a video game level or something, lol. Great job and good luck to you. Smile

lol i do play alot of video games, but had none as influence here.

quote:
Originally posted by Zenigata-Da-Vida
Hmm... it's interesting. If you were going for a classical-ish style, you've gone towards Nintendo more than Beethoven.

maybe i've arranged video games too much, if somehow my own style is becoming that of a video game Wink

quote:
but there are a couple section where I'm kinda wincing, if only from being unsure if it sounds good or not. The first is around the 1min42sec point of the midi where it goes into a wierd key change, but it doesn't seem to have both melody and chords in the new key! The second point is around 3min06sec point (give or take a few seconds) where the chord movements seem to either be a little too flat or sharp dunno..but it's a little funky.

1:42... goes from G minor to G major. while sonata's have key changes, they usually jump in 5ths around... i kept it parallel. it seemed like it'd be better for when i went back to G minor later on. i wanted to keep the core of the previous melody (u hear it again at 2:06) but go for a very different feel.
the 'funky' part... i did that on purpose. i thought it sounded cool Tongue

quote:
A guy looking over my shoulder says it's "impressive", he noticed right off the bat the video game style you incorperated. It's very well composed, a little drawn out at one or two moments (but only for a second of two at either time), but definately a hit. Let's hope your judges are fans of Zelda Wink

(Edit: Because I might not have directly said this earlier....I like it! Big Grin )

wtf... 3 people think it's a video game level... and that's just the people online x.x not that that's BAD but i'm just surprised that everyone is getting that vibe. my sax teacher's husband, who is a pro pianist, said he thought it sounded like something to dance to... put two and two together... maybe it's for DDR? Shocked

thanx for the comments, i appreciate it!
Asirt 03-29-2006 03:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NVWC2006
lol i do play alot of video games, but had none as influence here.

Huh. Well, I did get that feeling when I listened to this song. I imagined something from the 16-bit era. Of course, that's just me.

------------------------------------------------------------

This is what happens when you listen to a lot of video game music (AIR, Sonic, Zelda, etc.)

quote:
maybe i've arranged video games too much, if somehow my own style is becoming that of a video game Wink

Perhaps. That happen sometimes when you start developing your own music style. The song may not be influenced from a video game, but the style might be. Smile

quote:
wtf... 3 people think it's a video game level... and that's just the people online x.x not that that's BAD but i'm just surprised that everyone is getting that vibe. my sax teacher's husband, who is a pro pianist, said he thought it sounded like something to dance to... put two and two together... maybe it's for DDR? Shocked

If you remix the song, it could very well be a DDR song.

[You're a dance animal!]

Tongue

quote:
thanx for the comments, i appreciate it!

No problem. I was happy to listen to your song.
Generalissimo D 03-29-2006 03:52 PM
Can we say "Awesome"?

I think we can.

Permission to use it with one of my MFL megadeuses?
NVWC2006 03-29-2006 03:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
Can we say "Awesome"?

I think we can.

Permission to use it with one of my MFL megadeuses?

in what way?
Generalissimo D 03-29-2006 08:59 PM
NVWC2006 03-29-2006 09:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
MFL The Music - VOLUME 1!

sure. lol, i could make a remix of it... cut out the slow section, add more instruments, percussion, and if it's just to sound cool, then u can forget about it being musically POSSIBLE to play and just have it sound cool Tongue .
Generalissimo D 03-29-2006 09:28 PM
A bit more slower, menacing would make for a better fit.

I really like it though.