Eureka SeveN

Sharpshooter005 04-23-2006 09:49 PM
quote:
Adultswim.com:
Saved By the Bell - Back In Production!
04/19/2006

"Adult Swim has done it again! Following hot on the heels of Fox's Family Guy, Saved By The Bell has been pulled from cancellation with an order for 30 all new episodes taking place at Bayside High.

"We were ecstatic when we saw the early numbers on Saved By the Bell on Adult Swim," said Matt Laster, the VP of Turner Entertainment's newly created 80's Reclamation Department. "We knew this had the potential to be big, but we never thought it would be this big. The fans have really shown their support and come out in droves on the adultswim.com website."

According to Laster, the new series is still in development but he did say that almost all of the original cast would be returning, minus "Showgirls" star Elizabeth Berkley. The series will follow the events after Saved By the Bell: The New Class and find Screech as the new principal of Bayside and a retired Mr. Belding as the proprietor of the Max, the hangout that the Saved By the Bell gang frequented. Screech is overwhelmed by the new group of students and puts out a call for help, and soon, all of the old regulars are back at Bayside. Laster would not elaborate on the status of Zack and Kelly's relationship, though the couple were last seen walking down the aisle.

"I've spoken to the crew and they really can't wait to get back together," said Laster. "We think this will be a fun and exciting new direction for Adult Swim and we can't wait to find even more great 80's comedies for Adult Swim."

Okay everyone whos getting flustered knows this is a joke, right?

...Please?

quote:
less animation, and certainly less anime

It's all animation, yeah.
Nine Kuze 04-24-2006 09:09 PM
The episode was much better than the pilot, although now that I'm writing this, I don't really remember that much about it. Most of you guys hit the mark about the series, its cheesy, its a little preachy when it really doesn't have to be, its a bad rip-off of FLCL in some aspects, and yeah, the main character (whatever the hell is name is, like I care) is the emboidment of annoying. Hell, dude makes Shinji tolerable and that's no small feat.

quote:
Oh, and in regards to Eureka 7, does anybody else hate the show's pronunciation of Eureka?

Yes, that annoyed me something bad as well. But like someone else said, the Japanese pronounce words different from us because of the letter 'R' so I just chalked it up to that. But still, annoying.

quote:
Indeed, that is really, really depressing. Saved by the Bell did NOT need another season, it didn't even need to exist in the first place.

I like Saved by the Bell, as in the old episodes. But there making a new series?! WTF, man? That's just scary, they should have stopped after they graduated from high school and this just scares the you know what out of me:
quote:
The series will follow the events after Saved By the Bell: The New Class and find Screech as the new principal of Bayside and a retired Mr. Belding as the proprietor of the Max, the hangout that the Saved By the Bell gang frequented.

Horrible, Peter Engel is probable spinning in his grave.

Anyway back to Eureka Seven, does anybody really despise the girl with the turquiose hair-dye and the purple eyes or is that just me? It just seems like a ripoff of Rei of Evangelion and this girl (what are these characters' names) just freaks me out. And not like Rei in that subtle, interesting way. She freaks me out like I'm kind of scared to look at her and all of a sudden, this kid is in love with her. Talk about forcing a relationship down the viewer's throats.

Also, does anybody know who does the VA on that Holland character? He sounds like Batou to me, or maybe Kuze. I just know he sounds like someone, probably one of those two, from Ghost in the Shell.
Peace.
Wingnut 04-25-2006 04:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
Also, does anybody know who does the VA on that Holland character? He sounds like Batou to me, or maybe Kuze. I just know he sounds like someone, probably one of those two, from Ghost in the Shell.
Peace.

That would be our boy Crispan Freeman, aka Alan Gabreal, and Togusa from GITS:SAC
Sharpshooter005 04-25-2006 08:13 AM
quote:
Crispan Freeman, aka Alan Gabreal, and Togusa from GITS:SAC

Alan's VA also does Togusa?

This is almost as weird as the time I realized that the guy who played the really seedy villain in one season of Deadwood also played Jesus on that now unfortunately cancelled NBC series.
Nine Kuze 04-25-2006 06:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
quote:
Peace.

That would be our boy Crispan Freeman, aka Alan Gabreal, and Togusa from GITS:SAC

Ah, thanks Wingnut. So its Togusa and its ol' boy Crispan Freeman. I knew it was someone from Ghost in the Shell. My guesses were off.
Peace.
David Ryder 04-30-2006 02:20 AM
I broke down and watched an episode. For a mecha show it's well a typical mecha show, so yeah nothing outstanding there. Character wise, it's not to bad, Holland is pretty cool, plus Crispen Freeman owns. I also keep hearing this BS about "OMFG it's an FLCL rip! or "ZOMG the main character is annoying!!!11111" I saw nothing of that nature. But it's a fun show, I'll wait until they start releasing the DVDs.
kaura117 04-30-2006 04:50 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
I broke down and watched an episode. For a mecha show it's well a typical mecha show, so yeah nothing outstanding there. Character wise, it's not to bad, Holland is pretty cool, plus Crispen Freeman owns. I also keep hearing this BS about "OMFG it's an FLCL rip! or "ZOMG the main character is annoying!!!11111" I saw nothing of that nature. But it's a fun show, I'll wait until they start releasing the DVDs.

The main character is aggravating. When you first watch the show, he's somewhat tolerable. Then you watch another. And another. AND HE NEVER DEVELOPS!

It takes a while, but eventually you realize that the satisfaction you get from burning that Shinji Ikari effigy is the same one as burning that of what's-his-name of Eureka Seven.

Love the mech designs, though. A bit iffy about the transformer bit.
Sephiroth 04-30-2006 11:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by kaura117
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes

The main character is aggravating. When you first watch the show, he's somewhat tolerable. Then you watch another. And another. AND HE NEVER DEVELOPS!

It takes a while, but eventually you realize that the satisfaction you get from burning that Shinji Ikari effigy is the same one as burning that of what's-his-name of Eureka Seven.

Yes, what-his-name's annoyance factor tends to build on itself. Gaddes, I assume you missed the first episode, because that really got the whole "he's so annoying" thing going. Last night, he was not too bad, but there was still basically no development for any of the characters, aside from the fact that "what's-his-name" is with the Gekko State now. It was, in my opinion, better than the first two episodes, but by no means great.

Oh, and what does it say about the show, when none of us know the main character's name is after three episodes?
David Ryder 04-30-2006 02:31 PM
quote:
Oh, and what does it say about the show, when none of us know the main character's name is after three episodes?

I guess it says that people need to pay more attention, no offense. His name has been said many times, it's Renten Thurston.
Schoolie 04-30-2006 11:51 PM
Yeah, I'll admit the show moves somewhat slowly. I guess series that are 50 episodes long can afford to do that.

Still, I don't think the character's that annoying. I think some people are suffering from a Shinji hangover. This Renton character doesn't have the same self-loathing angst/inferiority complex as Shinji, nor is he a cardboard "hero" like that wishy-washy whiny dude from Gundam SEED.

Renton's a kid. He's in love with a girl that has three children calling her "mommy."

Well, things got a little more interesting at least. Wink

I'm still waiting to learn more about the setting and plot. I'll have to peruse the official English website some: http://eurekaseven.bandai-ent.com/
Nine Kuze 05-01-2006 04:23 PM
Yeah, personally, I'll take Shinji over this Renten kid any day.

quote:

Its not that I don't know the name of the kid. It's just that I don't really care to know what the kid's name is. Seriously, the kid is so uninteresting to me that his name escapes me and I'm pretty damn good at remembering names as well.

quote:

Yeah, me as well. I was never that big on the Transformers anyway and I always found it to be a bit tacky. But hell, I like the surfboards the mechas use. Reminds me of the Silver Surfer and he's obviously a kickass character.

quote:
Renton's a kid. He's in love with a girl that has three children calling her "mommy."

Yeah, puts a little damper on the kid's game doesn't it?

I liked this episode much more than the first two and yeah, it did get more interesting. I liked that conversation with Renten and his grandfather and him saying that he'll be a good mechanic because he is his grandson and making the ol' man cry. Good stuff and I like the end as well because basically, they all said what I was thinking of the kid as well.

"Say something funny."
"Huh?"
"Man, he's not even funny."

Peace.
Schoolie 05-09-2006 06:27 PM
Just gotta say, I love it that Holland walks around his Gecko ship in his boxers. Now that's a cool dude.

After watching last night's episode (#5), I gotta admit that the show is growing on me. I like seeing more character interactions and "day off" sort of shows. The shopping trip helped flesh out some of the characters - there's so many it's hard to get to know them so far!
Sephiroth 05-27-2006 11:27 PM
Ok, I still don't like this show. However, I geniunely enjoyed tonight's episode. Something about the way the Gekko crew made the idea of giving ramen noodles to a random man gravely important amused me. It wasn't the funniest thing I had ever seen, but it was probably the best part of the series so far.
Schoolie 05-28-2006 09:12 PM
Yeah, this is a strange show. The major plot of the episode is a practical joke/hazing of Rentin. Then we get very brief and foreboding clips of some odds and ends.

It will be interesting to see how the show plays out. What's even more odd (or disturbing) is the adult/suggestive themes with the pre-teen characters. I know it's anime, but even this is kinda weird.

Plus those three little kids (i.e. brats) don't seem to have learned anything from the vandalism of last week's show. They're back to being jerks to Rentin.
Sephiroth 05-29-2006 11:07 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Schoolie
Plus those three little kids (i.e. brats) don't seem to have learned anything from the vandalism of last week's show. They're back to being jerks to Rentin.

Yea, that was odd. Wasn't there some kind of "touching" moment involving the kids in the last episode? They have that and then the next episode the kids are helping to haze Renton. I mean kids are kids, but it just seemed odd.
Schoolie 05-29-2006 10:19 PM
I just noticed on AS's website that they're pushing back Eureka Seven to 1:30 A.M. Eastern starting Saturday, June 3 (actually, Sunday).

Here's my complaint: Why do they always seem to shove back the new shows? If they really want to capture an audience, why don't they give the new shows better times? They did this same thing with Samurai Champloo, S-Cry-Ed, and Gundam SEED (not that I particularly enjoyed those latter two, but still, they were new).
Nine Kuze 05-30-2006 03:08 PM
quote:
Ok, I still don't like this show.

Yeah, I don't like it either. Hell, I still have no idea what the hell its even about or what the plot is, but I'm still trying to give it a chance.

Checked out the latest episode. It was amusing, I guess. Stupid as hell, but amusing nonetheless. I guess the crew at Gekko State like screwing around with the noobs (like we do here Smile ) every once in a while. And I liked the end where Rentin meets the big guy he's supposed to give the Raman to and says; "What do you have to eat to get so big?" (I think that's what he says. It's not like I don't know; its I don't know and I don't really give a damn).

Also, and I'm really surprised that I haven't seen this before, but Eureka (that's the girl that Rentin likes, right. Is that here name?) has three children that look nothing like her and nothing like each other. So, I'm thinking that she has three baby daddys and that she must get a helluva lot of child support...

...or maybe their adopted. I don't know, I'm basically just typing now.
Peace.
Sephiroth 06-03-2006 03:25 PM
quote:
quote:
Ok, I still don't like this show.

Yeah, I don't like it either. Hell, I still have no idea what the hell its even about or what the plot is, but I'm still trying to give it a chance.

Checked out the latest episode. It was amusing, I guess. Stupid as hell, but amusing nonetheless. I guess the crew at Gekko State like screwing around with the noobs (like we do here Smile ) every once in a while. And I liked the end where Rentin meets the big guy he's supposed to give the Raman to and says; "What do you have to eat to get so big?" (I think that's what he says. It's not like I don't know; its I don't know and I don't really give a damn).

Also, and I'm really surprised that I haven't seen this before, but Eureka (that's the girl that Rentin likes, right. Is that here name?) has three children that look nothing like her and nothing like each other. So, I'm thinking that she has three baby daddys and that she must get a helluva lot of child support...

...or maybe their adopted. I don't know, I'm basically just typing now.
Peace.

Yea they are adopted or something. Basically everyone just thought letting a 12 year old act as a mother for 3 young children was a great idea, and nobody has said anything about it.
Schoolie 06-04-2006 09:55 PM
Okay, don't pay attention to my rant above about the time change. I guess Eureka Seven is still on at 12:00 a.m. Eastern.

This last week's episode (#8 ) was pretty good. We finally get into a little more of the plot or something (at least). I liked how the bounty hunter raid wound up being on the same old lady sharing tea with the kids.

Something tells me we're going to get a backstory on the three kids Eureka cares for. I wonder if they are orphans or abandoned by their parents and then were picked up or saved by the crew of Gekko State. Hopefully, this will make them more sympathetic characters. (It probably sounds bad to say it, but I almost cheered when Eureka finally slapped the girl for running off.)
David Ryder 06-04-2006 11:16 PM
I'm going to be the black sheep and say I actually am enjoying the heck outta Eureka Seven. I find it to very appealing, with some nice characters. I'm gonna pick up the DVD's as well.