Eureka SeveN

Paradigm Dog 04-16-2006 12:48 AM
Eurerka SeveN Episode 1:

It seems what we have on our hands here is a series that really doesn't have an appropriate home in US TV. While it's maybe not so apparent from this first episode, I think it'll be too light for Adult Swim, but probably has too much fan service, questionable words, and blood for Toonami.

The animation is good, but nothing else about the show--designs, characters, story, music, etc--grabs me. Aesthetically, it seems lke Fooly Cooly with mecha, basically.

I don't think I'll be able to sit through 50 episodes of this. I'm a big mecha fan, but It really doesn't appear to have a compelling use of mecha. The whole surfboarding mecha feels tacked on.
David Ryder 04-16-2006 06:11 AM
The mecha genre is worn out in this day in age, and shows no sign of getting better anytime soon. I know if I don't watch Eureka seven, I know I won't bee missing much.
BigPrime 04-16-2006 10:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
The mecha genre is worn out in this day in age, and shows no sign of getting better anytime soon. I know if I don't watch Eureka seven, I know I won't bee missing much.

A lot of people consider Eureka Seven to be one of the most original mecha shows in years. No idea if that's true or not, but the fansub community has been raving about it for the last year and it does seem interesting, if only for the surfboarding mecha.
Jstar136 04-16-2006 11:16 AM
I saw it last night. Roll Eyes

It's not bad. The plot is something about the main character's family ditched him and all he has left is skyboarding. Then a huge mech crash lands on his property.

Small note: the female pilot and the main character look like the kids from Ben 10. Coincidence?
David Ryder 04-16-2006 02:11 PM
quote:
A lot of people consider Eureka Seven to be one of the most original mecha shows in years.

that's pretty sad then, as I saw nothing original, other that the fact the mechs use surfboards to fight on. umm hurray? other than that it, standard mecha stuff, like a big bad oragnization, 15 year main charecter, and and other worn out mech staples.
Sephiroth 04-16-2006 02:35 PM
Overall the show seemed rather sub-par. I mean, the kid was really annoying, and the attempt at characterization by using the word "suck" all the time got on my nerves after the first 5 minutes. The mecha looked cool, but I really didn't get the whole surf board thing, and just about everything the characters said made no sense to me at all. I didn't really enjoy it, however it could get better as the series goes on, so I'm still open.

Did the town the guy lived in remind anybody else of FLCL? I mean the show wasn't even close to being that good, but the setting felt like it for some reason.
Jstar136 04-16-2006 02:46 PM
If by FLCL, then you mean a large iron like building in the background, then I agree.
Paradigm Dog 04-16-2006 05:51 PM
Yes, as I stated earlier, the whole thing felt like Fool Cooly to me--but add in mecha. Considering I didn't think that much of Fooly Cooly, that's not a good thing. I mean, if I want laughs and action, there's better series out there: Lupin III and Mezzo DSA to name two.
Schoolie 04-16-2006 09:26 PM
Interesting show. Definitely a FLCL vibe coming from the setting and main character.

The mecha genre seems to be needful of fresh air. This might do the trick. If anything, it's not Gundam SEED.

I'll watch it. I agree with Paradigm Dog that this anime is stuck in that void between Toonami and Adult Swim. Hopefully, it won't lose viewers that way. Full Metal Alchemist did pretty well in that same territory - though it did get violent at times.

As for the first episode, it seems to be one of those "drop you in the show" intros that requires the viewer to figure things out over the course of the show. In that regard, it reminds me of Last Exile.

And 50 episodesConfused ! I guess there's plenty of time for exposition and plot and character development. Just hope they don't fall for the two cardinal sins of long running shows: stagnant repetitive/decompressed episodes and unnecessary side stories with the sole purpose of filler.

So what word do they use in the Japanese dub for "suck?" Is that something they use in their culture?
Sharpshooter005 04-16-2006 10:17 PM
quote:
Just hope they don't fall for the two cardinal sins of long running shows: stagnant repetitive episodes and unnecessary side stories with the sole purpose of filler.

Clip show

CLIP SHOW

CLIP SHOW.

(Hell evangelion was 26 episodes, and they did what...two episodes like that?)
Schoolie 04-16-2006 11:29 PM
Oh yeah. THREE cardinal sins. Wink
Nine Kuze 04-17-2006 02:03 PM
Yeah, I'm getting the same vibe as the rest of you guys. Except I was feeling a bad mix and a poor attempt at FLCL/Transformers and/Rocket Power. But hell, that's just me.

Yeah, the animation is pretty fresh but that's all I saw it had going for it.

quote:
I mean, the kid was really annoying, and the attempt at characterization by using the word "suck" all the time got on my nerves after the first 5 minutes.

Yes, that was VERY annoying after a while. And the kid is annoying. Someone get him a comb!

Also the girl freaked me out as well. You know Rei from Evangelion is pissed because to me, that was a rather pisspoor ripoff of Rei.

I did like the ending though, and if it really is 50 episodes, then I guess I can stomach it and give it a try.
Peace.
Sephiroth 04-22-2006 11:28 PM
Tonight's episode was definately better than the last one, I have to give it that. However, it was still lacking to me. I mean, I just cannot like the main character... at all. He's so annoying, and his V.A. is pretty bad. I read a plot synopsis for some later episodes though, and they actually looked interesting. That hinges, of course, on whether or not the villain is actually cool or not. If not, then the series will suck. Anywho, its still a pretty average series.
Jstar136 04-23-2006 02:56 PM
I saw it too, but the small plot gap between episodes had me confused. Either that or I missed something. Drooling

Praps I'm not good at following things, but the affiliations of the characters is a bit confusing. Otherwise, this is showing a bit of promise.
X Prime 04-23-2006 03:00 PM
...Am I the only one who was turned off on this by the commercial?

I mean, damn... the drone is headache inducing yet catchy.

And the main character... he looks to be in the same vein as Naruto the character to me plus even more brat. So that's autofail.
Paradigm Dog 04-23-2006 03:15 PM
Episode 2 was better, but this show has issues with itself. It's neither as funny or serious as Naruto. Eureka's comedy comes of as annoying, and its seriousness just doesn't seem credible. It's a little preachy too often, too. It might evolve into something awesome, but it just doesn't have much going for it right now. Regardless of any objectionable material that may yet come, this series, with a bit of editing, could have been a monster hit for Toonami.

I have no idea why Adult Swim picked it up instead of Toonami, other than its popularity in Japan. Maybe to appease mecha fans like myself upset at the lack of Gundam and BIG-O 3 on their network. Problem is, I'm not buying it. Evangelion was largely a letdown as well in that department. They could have helped make BIG-O 3, it's totally obvious now--They got Saved by the Bell a NEW 30-ep SEASON. What the heck? That's dumb. But to produce a live-action show with established actors and sets has to be more expensive than a 13-episode anime production.

One good thing about Eureka SeveN is its theme song. Very catchy.
David Ryder 04-23-2006 03:56 PM
quote:
They got Saved by the Bell a NEW 30-ep SEASON.

whoa whoa whoa. Are you serious? well that certainly is depressing. I wonder where CN's "we wanna make anime" stance went?
Sephiroth 04-23-2006 05:05 PM
quote:
quote:

whoa whoa whoa. Are you serious? well that certainly is depressing. I wonder where CN's "we wanna make anime" stance went?

Indeed, that is really, really depressing. Saved by the Bell did NOT need another season, it didn't even need to exist in the first place. Unearthing it again, is like unleashing some kind of vengeful demon from its earthly prison. Now, 10,000 years of complete idiocy will befall the earth. Between Eureka 7 and Saved by the Bell, that doesn't seem impossible either.

Oh, and in regards to Eureka 7, does anybody else hate the show's pronunciation of Eureka? I mean, I know for a fact that is how you spell the "Eureka" you would say when you discover something, so why are they butchering its pronunciation?
Paradigm Dog 04-23-2006 06:55 PM
quote:
quote:

Yes, sadly, I'm serious. What a slap in the face--but remember, there's no money for BIG-O. Wink Roll Eyes CN seems to be doing more and more live-action, less animation, and certainly less anime (Eureka 7, Bleach, and new episodes of existing anime like Naruto and IGPX will reportedly be the only additions this year) :

Adultswim.com:
Saved By the Bell - Back In Production!
04/19/2006

"Adult Swim has done it again! Following hot on the heels of Fox's Family Guy, Saved By The Bell has been pulled from cancellation with an order for 30 all new episodes taking place at Bayside High.

"We were ecstatic when we saw the early numbers on Saved By the Bell on Adult Swim," said Matt Laster, the VP of Turner Entertainment's newly created 80's Reclamation Department. "We knew this had the potential to be big, but we never thought it would be this big. The fans have really shown their support and come out in droves on the adultswim.com website."

According to Laster, the new series is still in development but he did say that almost all of the original cast would be returning, minus "Showgirls" star Elizabeth Berkley. The series will follow the events after Saved By the Bell: The New Class and find Screech as the new principal of Bayside and a retired Mr. Belding as the proprietor of the Max, the hangout that the Saved By the Bell gang frequented. Screech is overwhelmed by the new group of students and puts out a call for help, and soon, all of the old regulars are back at Bayside. Laster would not elaborate on the status of Zack and Kelly's relationship, though the couple were last seen walking down the aisle.

"I've spoken to the crew and they really can't wait to get back together," said Laster. "We think this will be a fun and exciting new direction for Adult Swim and we can't wait to find even more great 80's comedies for Adult Swim."

Oh, and yes, Eureka's pronunciation does bother me. I was wondering if they were trying to say that it doesn't have anything to do with the traditional word, though. Whatever.

G4TV, please re-launch animeunleashed. We need some supplementary anime to cover up this junk.
Schoolie 04-23-2006 08:20 PM
I wonder if the Eureka pronunciation "Euleka" is from the Japanese way of saying it. This could be due to the whole R/L thing, like how Fooly Cooly (FLCL) here in the states is known as Furi Kuri in Japan. Also, in the closing credits song of RahXephon, the Japanese singer pronounces it "LahXephon."

That said, I'm not sure why they'd use the Japanese pronunciation in the English dub of Eureka Seven.

The VA for the main kid character is Johnny Yong Bosch, the same guy who did Vash for Trigun, Claus for Last Exile, and Kiba for Wolf's Rain. It's strange to hear him do a voice for such a younger character. His voice for Claus in Last Exile is a much better fit. And Claus is only a few years older than this kid - Rentin or whatever.

Speaking of Last Exile, I'm getting a much closer vibe between that show and Eureka Seven. There's something about the flying technology and physics of this world that's similar. Plus, this show really has thrown us in the mix of characters with history and affiliations we've yet to learn about. Last Exile was similar, but it wasn't as confusing as Eureka Seven's beginning.