ILL Mitch, an incisive parody of the rap subculture

Sharpshooter005 03-24-2006 11:36 PM
First off, I blatantly plagarized this off another forum...then again, I'm the one who wrote it to begin with. So basically I need to now lambast myself for stealing my ideas. I'll be taking me to court soon.

ILL Mitch, as you well know, is a faux rapper who claims to be from Russia. And who sings about skateboarding in a vest.

On the surface, this seems to be a harmless little joke circulating the internet. But upon closer study, it becomes a cunning and incisive parody.

Let's study some of his lyrics, shall we?

"When I use microphone I'm the best you need".

Aside from the obligatory poor english (which, while part of his facade, is also a very overt slam at the bastardization of the language prevelent in the genre.), this is a red flag. What he's trying to say, is that rap music at its core is pure entertainment. And that "the best" one requires is a self-aware parody of the subject.

"Look at my helmet wear my vest for speed".

Sounds like a throwaway lyric, right? Wrong.

This is, of course, a way of mocking the obsession with "bling", apparent in most rap music. And how it clashes with the cultural meme that consumerism is something the "rich" experience solely. While the same people who espouse this put the bulk of their savings into new Nikes.

(The lyric "wear oakley shades,yes i do" also is indicative of this.)

"on full-moon i ride with boner
looking for target its a missile crissis
wait for impact
this is pricless,boom!
dust cloud, cover ears ill mitch bust loud"

This lyric not only references the crude seuxal metaphores which are a pillar of the "hip hop community", but also says something deeper.

Those who call themselves criminals, do not deserve to be mourned when they die.

I cite as an example Tupac. When Tupac died, apparently someone painted a mural near the site reading "live by the gun, die by the gun". However, his fanbase mourns his passing as a horrible calamity, and eulogizing films on him are churned out every other year (tupac: resurrection, tupacalypse, etc.).

Again, we see a fundamental hypocrisy. If an individual is truly accepting of their fate, and the threats awaiting them when they pursue a certain lifestyle or course of action, how is their death anything but an inevitability? Or, even, a furtherance of their goal?

ILL Mitch teaches us much in his lyrics. And tracing his server proves..he lives in Illinois.

And in many ways, this most obvious gag is also the most telling. He is, a man pretending to be a crazed immigrant from Russia who emulates American culture. A culture he is very obviously a part of.

A parallel to the typical Rap mogul who lives in the hamptons, drives a cadillac escelade, probably pays capital gains taxes, and yet still tries to play themselves off as being "from the streets" is very apparent in this. They are what they claim they oppose, much as Mitch is what he professes to be an alien participant in.

In conclusion. ILL Mitch is amusing as a simple jester, but this belies the wit (and, dare I say, wisdom) of his satirical jabs at a subculture gone awry.

(I thought that with the recent surge of rap related threads, this would be relevant. The website of ILL mitch can be found here)

quote:
nice find sharp.
David Ryder 03-25-2006 02:44 AM
nice find sharp. It was funny and at the same time sadly true.
088nd 03-25-2006 10:10 AM
I'm still trying to decide whether or not you took this analysis too far.
Jstar136 03-25-2006 10:39 AM
America can be nonsensical when money makes people bored. Drooling

Or the Internet makes them popular. Either way.
Hobodoken 03-25-2006 12:34 PM
I am tempted to listen, because Russian accents are hilarious. I'm also tempted not too, because I fear change.
Nine Kuze 03-25-2006 08:34 PM
I'm just surprised that you actually know that much on the rap game, Sharpie. Nice find, by the way.

quote:
I'll be taking me to court soon.

Get yourself a damn good lawyer... and then get another one. I'd recommend Alan Shore. He's crazy enough to take the case.

quote:
Those who call themselves criminals, do not deserve to be mourned when they die.

But Sharpie, that's what hip-hop is all about! Look at Biggie, Tupac, 50 Cent, and Jay-Z. They all proclaim proudly that thye have done criminal things and people praise them like you know what. What listeners to hip-hop are wired to think is is that no matter what you were before, you can still become something great... even if you were a cop killer or you peddled heroine in front of elementary schools.

quote:
And in many ways, this most obvious gag is also the most telling. He is, a man pretending to be a crazed immigrant from Russia who emulates American culture. A culture he is very obviously a part of.

That could actually be WORSE than Vanilla Ice. Not Eminem mind you, but Vanilla Ice. Damn...

quote:
A parallel to the typical Rap mogul who lives in the hamptons, drives a cadillac escelade, probably pays capital gains taxes, and yet still tries to play themselves off as being "from the streets" is very apparent in this.

Actually, a few number of them were actually from the streets. They gain their fame and fortune through the musical talent they have. Although it is sad and pathetic when like ten years later, they're still trying to front like they are still gangsta and from the hood when you live in the Hills in Boston or Connecticut and have houses in different parts of the country and money coming from different ventrues. Best example I can think up right now: Jennifer Lopez and her song "Jenny From the Block". Pathetic excuse to show that she's still as hard as Brooklyn while doing commercials for Vera Wang and pumping your personal perfume for a profit at your manison in Miami. But then again, EVERY artist in the hip-hop game does this. I guess its kind of mandatory these days.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 03-26-2006 12:13 AM
quote:
Alan Shore.

Thats an awesome show.

quote:
They gain their fame and fortune through the musical talent they have.

On a serious (semi-serious maybe?) note. At the risk of sounding like one of these "the media causes (insert unsavory behavior pattern)"...that type of idea can't exactly HELP. The whole "you're poor, your downtrodden? Just sell alot of crack, and eventually you'll write a song and wind up in a mansion in Malibu. Put down that textbook and pick up a Glock" meme really isn't helping certain segments of society.

Not saying its the only cause, or even maybe the biggest factor. I can't help but think it's...sort of exacerbating things.
David Ryder 03-26-2006 01:06 AM
quote:
that's what hip-hop is all about!

I remember in compton, they wanted a get rich or die trying billboard taken down because they didn't want anymore people wasting their lives killing each other. To that I say bravo ya gotta deal with problems that effect your society and stop blaming everyone else, well just "the man".

quote:
The whole "you're poor, your downtrodden? Just sell alot of crack, and eventually you'll write a song and wind up in a mansion in Malibu. Put down that textbook and pick up a Glock" meme really isn't helping certain segments of society.

Gonna have to agree sharp. But generally if they don't start capping people, and selling smack, they get accused of "actting white". Just like my friend michelle (she's black).
Nine Kuze 03-27-2006 01:39 PM
quote:
Thats an awesome show.

Yes it is, my man. Boston Legal is so damn good with not only James Spader and William Shatner buut all the other supporting characters too. They're brilliant. But they got rid of my girl, Rhona Mitra, though. And that saddens me. Frown

quote:
On a serious (semi-serious maybe?) note. At the risk of sounding like one of these "the media causes (insert unsavory behavior pattern)"...that type of idea can't exactly HELP. The whole "you're poor, your downtrodden? Just sell alot of crack, and eventually you'll write a song and wind up in a mansion in Malibu. Put down that textbook and pick up a Glock" meme really isn't helping certain segments of society.

Oh, of course it doesn't help. Or at least its not suppose to. But that's the sort of... what the word?... "brainwashing" that the rappers and the hip-hop, corporate machine of done to the audience and the listeners of hip-hop. They go what the hell are you studying for? You wanna study so you can get out of the 'hood, get a nice degree, job, and family in 20 years, and make an honest living?

F*** that, son.

Put the books down, drop out of high school, write some songs about your life, sell some crack on the side, and wait for either Damon Dash or P. Diddy to sign you. Rinse and repeat for every other album you gonna drop.

And that's how it goes. It's really pathetic and we're just destroying ourselves this way but no one is willing to do anything about it at the time being. This is pretty mush why I kind of stopped listening to hip-hop... that and because everybody is saying the SAME DAMN THING... over and over and over.

quote:
I remember in compton, they wanted a get rich or die trying billboard taken down because they didn't want anymore people wasting their lives killing each other. To that I say bravo ya gotta deal with problems that effect your society and stop blaming everyone else, well just "the man"

That is cool to hear. Thanks for that, Gaddes. Also, the Crips and the Bloods are actually starting to take it down a notch with the violence against each other so you know that people are at least trying.

quote:
But generally if they don't start capping people, and selling smack, they get accused of "actting white".

Well, its not really "acting white" because that's the way that they want to live. Like white people, comfortable and secure with no random police raids, helicopters flying just over your house, or drive-bys making you sit on the floor for hours-and-hours at a time. (Sorry, as I'm typin' this, Boyz 'N in the Hood is playing right now). But they want to live that way with a flair that still resembles where they came from. The reason why they sell crack and cap people is because its the 'thing' to do in the streets. That's how they were raised and its fast money. And who doesn't like fast money. If you don't do it, its not like you're (OMG!) white, but they're gonna harrass you and sweat you because you're the straight arrow. And they want that, but can't have it. Sot of like a jealously kind of thing.

quote:
I can't help but think it's...sort of exacerbating things.

Yes it is and that's why for a minute, people were sick and tired of hearing nothing about being shot up, shooting back, bitches (excuse the langauge), and pimped out rides and that's why artists like Kanye West, Talib Kweli, and Common were phraised for a while. Like these three guys I mentioned went against the norm and went to college, did some studying and were still successful without any type of chrome entering their body and the people wanted something new from them. But nothing really came expect those artists I mentioned and everybody went screw it and went back to iced out grills, goblets, and drugs. It really, REALLY needs to stop.
Peace.