Akira

Big Adil 03-21-2006 03:03 AM
Hi all,Has anyone ever seen Akira which i have got on dvd.I have and thought it was superb but also very weird Confused
This is the one i have which has 2 dvd's of the same movie one original and the other digitally remastered.
David Ryder 03-21-2006 03:25 AM
I've seen Akira and honestly it's one of those films (in my opinion at least) that you either love or hate. Akira is decent, however I do like the new dub much better.
Sharpshooter005 03-21-2006 08:32 AM
Everybody seems to have seen Akira.

Not me, I haven't. I saw ten seconds once and...yeah...didn't "get it" probably.

I remember a vodka commercial on television saying it was good though...it was smirnoff though..
Mike 03-21-2006 09:18 AM
The Sci Fi Channel used to play Akira constantly back in the day. I've seen it, and I've never really been able to get into it. Mostly because it's really confusing. I think it would help to have read the manga (I heard they had to chop out most of the manga to make it fit in the movie) and also be Japanese. Since the whole post apocalyptic, rich are super rich and poor are in gang war thing kind of reminds me of the end of World War 2.

But yea...it's a really cool movie, but once Tetsuo's arm gets all spoodly it gets really really weird and confusing.
Asirt 03-21-2006 09:36 AM
I remember seeing Akira a couple years back on Encore Action. It was great, but not something I would see again in a while. Something about this movie was missing, but I did enjoy it overall. It does get pretty confusing as you start watching, but I can see why it is highly praised by anime fans.
Big Money 03-21-2006 03:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
But yea...it's a really cool movie, but once Tetsuo's arm gets all spoodly it gets really really weird and confusing.

150,000 bonus points for using the same word I do. No, seriously, I'm tripping out right now. Is this commonly accepted vernacular?

I'm one of those people who really don't like Akira. I mean... Baby monster = vomit a little in my mouth >.>...

I read... one, maybe two volumes of the Manga in 8th grade (my friend has them) and I liked it much better so... who knows? But yeah, it was hella confusing...
Sharpshooter005 03-21-2006 04:05 PM
quote:
Baby monster

Oh so it IS basically just "Look at all the deformed monstrosities they mutate into!". I sort of gathered as much from what little I saw.

Pass.

edit: That boxart says "No Akira. No Matrix".

So...then...indirectly, Akira is responsible for the two bad sequels as well as the first perfectly okay movie? Thats where the blame falls?
Generalissimo D 03-21-2006 04:21 PM
Akira was a strange experience.

All things said, the end made no sense. Allow me to recap.

spoiler (highlight to read):
  • Tetsuo's arm is replaced with a metal arm
  • Said arm then begins to mutate and grow
  • He continues growing in this fashion until he turns into a huge baby thing
  • His body ka-smashes his girlfriend into a pulp
  • Friend shoots him with this badass laser gun
  • They find the Akira pieces
  • Tokyo Asplode
Nine Kuze 03-21-2006 04:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox

• Tokyo Asplode

WHAT?!

I thought Akira was one of those anime movies that if you were an anime fan, you were acquired by law to watch and enjoy. I've never seen Akira and now, I'm too afraid and really don't want to.
Peace.
Tickle Tickle 03-21-2006 04:58 PM
It was okay. It mainly a "watch it one time" movie. I tried to rewatch the movie on STARZ! and I just wasn't feeling it. Good animation though, and Japanese animators weren't lazy on the lip flaps for once.
BethMcBeth 03-21-2006 07:05 PM
In many ways AKIRA was the ground breaking point for the next generation of anime. It can be a bit confusing to watch but honstely for the effects of its time it was pretty amazing. I enjoy it.

-Beth
C.R Foxhound 03-22-2006 02:17 PM
i just cant get over the fact that EVERYONE HAS HUGE FOREHEADS!
Sharpshooter005 03-22-2006 02:24 PM
quote:
i just cant get over the fact that EVERYONE HAS HUGE FOREHEADS!

Thats the other thing I noticed. Everyone was either a full on mutant, or just had mutantesque giant foreheads.
Schoolie 03-22-2006 10:57 PM
Yeah, I suppose if you consider when Akira came out, it was worthy of some of its acclaim. I'd say it's "required watching" for any anime fan just so you know what it is. It's also an "adult" anime deserving its R rating.

That said, I didn't think it was all that great. The super motorcycles are neat, but not featured all that much. Basically it's a sci-fi post-apocalyptic Blade Runner type movie with major anime end-of-the-world potential at the end.

There is some crafty editing and pacing of the story, but I'm guessing the movie leaves out a lot from the multivolume manga.

Yeah, the forehead thing - weird. It happens in Okomo's (?) Steamboy, too.
evanASF27 03-23-2006 12:21 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox

• Tokyo Asplode

Ya know there's a reason they make spoilers, Zaphod. Use em next time.

I was lookin around here to get some info on the movie's plot..."some info", not "please ruin the ending".

[Edit: Spoiler tags added. --Krang]
Xero-Hour 03-23-2006 08:20 AM
I liked Akira its one of those movies that you find so many pop culture referances too
Ano Hito 03-26-2006 10:11 AM
I found it boring, but it's essential to see it if only so that you can be educated. All in all, much like seeing Citizen Cane, also extremely boring, but at the same time a piece of history.
Sharpshooter005 03-26-2006 10:31 AM
quote:
Citizen Kane, also extremely boring, but at the same time a piece of history.

...I didn't really think it was boring, but thats a different topic altogether.