Episode 51 Discussion- The Final Episode

Shredder 03-18-2006 10:15 PM
Well, here it is, the final episode of FMA. Thanks to everyone who followed the series on CN as well as everyone else who'd already seen it- we hope you enjoyed the show and weekly discussion threads as much as we did. After watching FMA when it first debuted, it quickly became one of my favorite shows. I was impressed by the original characters and great action combined with the smart writing. Even though this last ep may get some mixed reactions, I think it's well done overall (I'll say more after it airs). Enjoy! Big Grin
evanASF27 03-18-2006 10:30 PM
I can't WAIT @______@

I LOVE FMA!!!1 *waves flag*

This is probably the first series I've seen where the main character is killed in the 2nd to last episode. I really am excited and I want to see the end of this series go out with a bang (please tell me there's an explosion somewhere).

*sits with eyes glued to the photon emitters*
Wingnut 03-18-2006 10:44 PM
Call me crazy, but I think I am going to be disapointed by the ending, and not just because it will not be what I expect it to be.
Phantom X 03-18-2006 11:27 PM
*High Fives all around*

Huge gap for a continuation. Do any of you know if there will be or am I going to have to fly to Japan to get some answers?
Jstar136 03-18-2006 11:31 PM
ZOMG!

They sacrificed each other, and the end was excellent!

Someone finally got the idea to aim correctly at Archer.

Like Phantom said, there could possibly be a whole 'nother season b/c it was left so open!
Sephiroth 03-18-2006 11:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom X
*High Fives all around*

Huge gap for a continuation. Do any of you know if there will be or am I going to have to fly to Japan to get some answers?

Yea, there's a movie to wrap it up, no new season, that would be overkill. There's a thread for the film somewhere around here. Or its mentioned in one at least.

Anywho, that was amazing on oh so many levels. Mustang vs. Pride was awesome, except when Pride killed his son, that was not right at all. I was oh so glad when Archer was shot to death by Hawkeye. Al's laststand against Dante was really cool, especially when Gluttony turned on her. I liked how they revisited all the main characters at the end of the episode. Especially awesome how Al got his body back. Oh, and for the record, Envy's dragon form is STILL not as cool as his true form in the manga.

Now we wait for the movie! I'll be counting the minutes.
NVWC2006 03-18-2006 11:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom X
*High Fives all around*

There is a movie that follows the series, called Conqueror of Shambala, I have a link about it here. The movie has been licensed and if I remember correctly, the same VAs as for the series will be doing the movie.

Wow... I knew what was going to happen, but seeing it... wow. Now I understand things regarding Envy. And we got to see Hawkeye with her hair down! she is officially the hottest girl in the series Big Grin

we can assume about what happened to Dante, but we can't be sure...

i find Ed saying no one believes Einstein to be humerous. even if he doesn't agree with the Germans on all subjects, he's still subject to their media and is influenced by it. and comparing going to space as going through the Gate.. and being apparantly on better terms with his father, enough to go to Germany (they had landed in London before, so I'm assuming he just went to the same place)

i hope that CN airs FMA again, but not from the beginning; from where they started this final section of the series, so I can rewatch these episodes.. i missed a few Crying
Sephiroth 03-18-2006 11:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NVWC2006
i find Ed saying no one believes Einstein to be humerous. even if he doesn't agree with the Germans on all subjects, he's still subject to their media and is influenced by it. (

Oh speaking of German historical references, am I the only one who found the reference to the massive inflation in Germany pre-WWII humorous? You know, I probably am.
Raven 03-18-2006 11:46 PM
Wow, can we assume that Roy FINALLY put the moves on Hawkeye. Man, I've never seen a ladies man who is so damn blind. Anyway, that was a good episode. I didn't realize Pride actually killed his son until I read that in this thread. Oh well, he got what he deserved. Oh and poor Archer, shot in the back for all his troubles.

By the way, what happened to Envy anyway?
Phantom X 03-18-2006 11:50 PM
When Ed was at the gate, I was expecting to see Mustang there. I was glad to see that it wasnt him though. I knew Mustang and Hawkeye would end up like that, its soo romantic. Tongue . I also like to see all the characters one final time.

I dont think a new series would be overkill, it could actually be quite good. Hell, Ill write it myself. Big Grin A movie, in my opinion, wouldnt be enough.
VashTheHumanoidTyphoon 03-18-2006 11:58 PM
oddly good ending, everybody who didnt die in previous episodes is still alive. It seems like Al wants to make the same mistake Ed and him did except that Ed is officially on the other side......
Hobodoken 03-19-2006 12:07 AM
I thought it was kind of odd that Wrath ended up getting what were going to be Ed's new arm and leg, also kind of funny that Hoenhiem is helping some sort of Aryan cult. I was hoping to recognize the name of the mustachio man, but I can't say I did.
MercZ 03-19-2006 01:37 AM
It was a good episode, but sadly they intentionally left things "not finished" for the movie. It seems Dante got killed by Gluttony, and Gluttony seems to have disappeared. What happened? Did they destroy eachother at the same time, or did Gluttony eat Dante and run off? It was interesting to see Ed come back to life, only to "lose" it bringing Al back. Ed must have trouble concealing his automail though, and he'll probably have even more if he breaks it.

The references to history were clever as well, especially the inflation in Germany (Hohenheim's reference to the fruit)

quote:
Originally posted by Hobodoken
I thought it was kind of odd that Wrath ended up getting what were going to be Ed's new arm and leg, also kind of funny that Hoenhiem is helping some sort of Aryan cult. I was hoping to recognize the name of the mustachio man, but I can't say I did.

Aye, Thule Society. The banner with the sword and swastika gives it away (and they state it). The guy might be a man named Karl Haushofer, who believed in the whole Aryan subject. He was teaching geography in the University of Munich in 1921, the same year and place that we see Ed and Hohenheim. Here's his picture

Whether it's him or not is up to you guys, but I think it is that guy.
Shredder 03-19-2006 02:04 AM
Thanks for the background, MercZ. That is the right guy- Hoenheim mentions him by name when they show his face from the front.
Xero-Hour 03-19-2006 02:33 AM
...Why is Hoenheim helpin an Aryan cult , since he wentthrough the gate that means e saw everythign that was goin too happen as a sesult of the Nazi rise too power ? is he just trying oo cause more death to feul alchemly in his own world ? ....thsi is all very very confuseing

maby they capture ed and cyborg tech leaps forward too a Ghost in the Shell type world lol
David Ryder 03-19-2006 03:28 AM
and thus ends the averageness that is FMA, well it was a fun ride.
MercZ 03-19-2006 10:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Xero-Hour
...Why is Hoenheim helpin an Aryan cult , since he wentthrough the gate that means e saw everythign that was goin too happen as a sesult of the Nazi rise too power ? is he just trying oo cause more death to feul alchemly in his own world ? ....thsi is all very very confuseing

No, he hopes to see if he can find a way home with what they are doing. Keep in mind Hohenheim doesn't really know too much about Nazi's (The gate may've showed them all to come, but he may've not remembered, realized it, or if it never came up at all), and they still haven't come to power (even though they will be present in the movie during their coup). The Thule Society believed that through magic, they could find the ancient home of the the Aryans, a place called Ultima Thule. They used odd rituals and things they believed as magic. Some also believed that there was a place called Shambala where they could get a great amount of power. Since Hohenheim can't use his alchemy, he probably has to work with these guys as a last resort into finding a way home through their tactics.
Gummibear 03-19-2006 11:44 AM
I thought the ending was really intriguing! Diffenately left a lot open. I also thought the referance to inflation & Einstein,were interesting. The ending diffenately was paving way towards a sequel (we know it's a movie...YAY!). I can't wait to see the movie, it's going to be very interesting to see where they go with that storyline.
NVWC2006 03-19-2006 12:07 PM
i did notice the inflation, but forgot to comment on it. i like how Hohenheim is just already happily fitting in to everything despite what goes on around him. I thought the mention of Haushofer was fairly obvious..but guess not.

quote:
Originally posted by MercZ
It was a good episode, but sadly they intentionally left things "not finished" for the movie. It seems Dante got killed by Gluttony, and Gluttony seems to have disappeared. What happened? Did they destroy eachother at the same time, or did Gluttony eat Dante and run off? It was interesting to see Ed come back to life, only to "lose" it bringing Al back. Ed must have trouble concealing his automail though, and he'll probably have even more if he breaks it.

Ah... I didn't see it before, but suddenly it clicks for me...

spoiler (highlight to read):
During the movie, Wrath takes Al to underground ruins in Central, where there is a large transmutation circle printed on the ground. Gluttony appears there as a huge, mindless, ferocious beast w/many heads... He must have transformed overtime from eating Dante while she tried to transmute him, and being left alone for however many years had passed.
Paradigm Dog 03-19-2006 05:09 PM
This is an example of a good ending that's left open, and yet is conclusive. I didn't feel that way about BIG-O's ending... This was a fitting, satisfying ending to the series. The movie has me very intrigued. however. The pre-WWII references at the end were very interesting. The series had its ups and downs as far as pacing goes--I think it should have been a little more condensed than 51 episodes--but its final act was quite strong.

Good series.