V for Vendetta...

Wazpy 03-17-2006 04:46 PM
Having read the comics, I vowed I wouldn't nit-pick. I hate nerds who do that. Not every movie can be as true to the comics as Sin City... but still... the Wachowski brothers are just so stupid...

Not only was the plot changed (I could deal with that alone), but the whole atmosphere was totally destroyed. The government wasn't scary, V wasn't magical, and the state of the world wasn't depressing, most characters lost all meaning
spoiler (highlight to read):
Evey did not become the new V, Finch did not go on his LSD trip, Susan (the leader who's name was changed because it was too girly) did not show his love for his computer, Gordon did not illustrate the life of an average man but was a celebrity, Almond and his wife were not in the film... ect.
. They tried to make a comic with tiny amounts of action and lots of ideas into a heavy action movie where the ideas are skipped over completely.
V even takes off his mask for a fairly unimportant scene.
Not to mention some of the coolest scenes were ignored 100%
V's breakup with the Justice statue for example

I'll wait till someone else comments before I unlease the hounds. I remember seeing some fans of the comic around here.
David Ryder 03-17-2006 05:08 PM
I wasn't Expecting to much from the guys who directed the Matrix. They can screw up just about anything.
Generalissimo D 03-17-2006 05:10 PM
...I've lost all will to see this.
Randolph 03-17-2006 05:38 PM
The first Matrix movie was about the only thing the Wachowski brothers ever did right. I lost interest in their work almost immediately after seeing Reloaded and Revolutions. 0Particularly after Revolutions.

Now, let's wait for the fanboys to show up, flip their baseball caps around and start preaching the gospel of Larry and Andy.
Sharpshooter005 03-17-2006 06:42 PM
Let me guess how this ends...he dies and passes on his legacy. OR! He dies but after taking down the totalitarian regime..or a mixture of both. How do I know this?

Have I read the comic (the author of which apparently disowned the movie)? No.

Do I have special powers that allow me to view the endings of films I've never seen? Nope

Have I already seen the "one guy opposes and takes down a totalitarian regime by fighting his own private war" plotline in a thousand books/movies/games already? Very much so, yes.

Also...are they really the wachowski "brothers" now that ones had a sex-change?

Furthermore...and crucify me for this if you want...I have honestly never seen what the big deal about Natalie Portman is. I really just do not get it.

I love how the trailers say "AN UNCOMPROMISING VISION OF THE FUTURE".

Yes...if you haven't read 1984, if you haven't read Brave new World. If you haven't seen the nine thousand movies about totalitarian societies (I'd name some, but they run together after a while). If you haven't played deus ex/freedom fighters/red faction 2/ Half Life 2/etc.

Yes, if you've managed to escape every SINGLE WORK dealing with this, many of which wind up doing it better than this seems to, then I suppose it would be shocking and new.

Then again...if you've managed to miss all of those, you most likely live under a rock somewhere on mars, and don't have a local cineplex screening v for vendetta. So its a moot point.

quote:
I lost interest in their work almost immediately after seeing Reloaded and Revolutions. 0Particularly after Revolutions.

...You saw Revolutions? I remember seeing reloaded in the theater, and immidiately saying "Well, at least I know to avoid wasting my money on the third!". I think I saw part of revolutions on HBO once...I had to force myself not to flip the channel.

Oh and if anyone reading this hasn't seen the last two yet, I'll spoil it for you. Keanu Reeves is supposed to be Jesus, or a Jesus like figure, but with alot more wire-fu and flashing green lights involved. There, I've saved you a fairly substantive chunk of time.

quote:
As for the entire MILLION V ARMY thing...why?

"I'm spartacus!" "No, I'm spartacus!"

Oh wait, no. I'm confusing that with a similar sounding scene from a good movie. My bad.
Travis Bickle 03-17-2006 06:49 PM
I actually saw the movie 5 times before it came out in theaters. I went to every press showing in a 60 mile radius. I also just came back from seeing it again.

Was the movie good? It was a decent movie.

Was it faithful to the comics? Hardly.

For some stupid reason, the Wachowski brothers pretty much threw out the entire second half of the series and recreated it in the stupidest way possible. The whole changing of events with Finch pissed me off. The whole Creedy conspiracy was f***ing retarded. Everything V said in the comics were pretty much riddles and questions formed into sentences. In the movie, he was more direct and to the point, which I didn't care for.

As for the entire MILLION V ARMY thing...why?

At least they shot a little girl. That wasn't needed at all.

Lary and Andy could pretty much go f*** themselves. They got lucky with The Matrix (which is essentially a warped version of Ghost in the Shell), and screwed up with the sequels.
Wazpy 03-17-2006 07:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt

At least they shot a little girl. That wasn't needed at all.

But... she came back... why did they try to focus on that girl anyway? She was in like 5 panels of the comic...
Generalissimo D 03-17-2006 07:28 PM
Reloaded was lame. The first was intriguing.

Revolutions was worth it for the Battle of Zion scene.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Did they at least put the bollocks scene in?
Sharpshooter005 03-18-2006 05:34 PM
So..is the thumbs down for the movie, or the thread. Since we've been pretty articulate in bashing it.

At least the people who know about the source material, admittedly I'm sort of tearing into it with no frame of reference. (I still think I'm right though)

...What, the whole rating of threads confuses me and my technologically uninformed self.
Dude Love 03-18-2006 06:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
...What, the whole rating of threads confuses me and my technologically uninformed self.

Is it the technoligically uninformed or distrustful self?

---

I thought the movie was worth seeing. It wasn't terrible; it wasn't great, either. But, as a movie (rather than a movie based on a comic) it was decent.
Almasy 03-18-2006 08:55 PM
I've seen it twice now. I really like it! ^_^
Travis Bickle 03-18-2006 09:00 PM
For Ford's sake. Everyone go out and buy the comic.
Sharpshooter005 03-19-2006 04:55 AM
Whenever I hear about this movie, I automatically think of the similarly titled:

Except instead of some guy decked out like guy fawkes fighting the labor party (or..apparently thats what the comic was about). It's about people fighting carniverous alien lizards.

Space lizards...space lizards trying to EAT people...I don't even think I saw the entire thing considering I wasn't born when they first aired it, but I think I saw some reruns. I clearly remember maybe three scenes. But it was completely awesome.

Between this and that puppet from E.T. scaring me as a kid, theres a reason I don't want us to ever come across aliens. At least not until I'm long dead and won't have to deal with being eaten.

I'd go buy this on dvd, but...apparently the miniseries was split into TWO, and they didn't just compile both into one dvd set. So thats kind of irritating. And I think maybe there was a t.v. series, but nobody ever really mentions it, so I assume it sucked.
Blue Crow 03-19-2006 10:19 AM
i really want to see this. i liked all 3 of the matrix movies (call me crazy, but i didn't think the last two were much different from the original).

and you've got to give them credit for the the animatrix. at least they were trying something fairly new.

-BC
Mr. Peabody 03-19-2006 01:39 PM
Did anyone else notice the Alan Moore lookalike in the pub watching V's TV statement?
Xel 03-19-2006 10:29 PM
I've never read the source material. Though I will say that as a movie, I enjoyed it quite a bit. It made me want to check out the comics, so it's got that much going for it, anyway, despite the complaints I've seen around.
A. Rosewater 03-21-2006 10:47 PM
the movie was absolutely amazing....it should make you think deeply about the politics around us all today
David Ryder 03-21-2006 10:50 PM
quote:
it should make you think deeply about the politics around us all today

oh you mean the same BS that has been going around for what 15-20 years now, i.e "OMFG America is teh Evil Empire!!!"
A. Rosewater 03-21-2006 10:58 PM
not the evil empire...not yet at least....hopefully it will never come to that

we just tend to think our sh** doesnt stink in the world community
David Ryder 03-21-2006 11:02 PM
quote:
we just tend to think our sh** doesnt stink in the world community

judging by the world we live in now a days, this hold zero merit. because I faill to see any of it.