V for Vendetta...

Sharpshooter005 03-25-2006 10:41 PM
quote:
I know it's horse manure because I saw the trailers rammed down my throat wherever I went. No matter where my eyeballs went...there was the Vendetta trailer. I "saw" the movie via the trailer because that's what movie studios do to get people to the theaters...show the "gee wiz" aspect of the movie (thereby ruining the best part even before you sit down to watch it when you do whip out that credit card.).

While I agree, I wouldn't say either of us can "know" its completley bad without having seen it.

It just..it didn't convince me it's worth my time or money. Maybe the dvd will be.

quote:
I'm getting sour on Spiderman 3 because apparently the Lizard isn't the villain chosen to oppose Spiderman.

'
But..venom. I mean...comeon, seriously, it's freaking venom.

quote:
As long as they don't do Carnage. That guy was annoying.

I was trying to find the "origin" comic for Carnage (it's basically a big flashback about Kassady). I think it's called carnage unleashed or..unlimited...something with a u..

Point is, NEVER read it. It was horrible. Whoever wrote it went waayyy too far overboard trying to go "LOOK HE'S CRAZY, AND SHOCKING!!!"

quote:
The Lizard does kick ass, though. What with the being trapped in a robotic suit with a spiked tail of death.

I thought the lizard was just...yeah, a lizard-guy.

There was "the scorpion" (I think) who had a green costume and cybernetic tail, maybe that the one?
Mike 03-25-2006 10:49 PM
As long as they don't do Carnage. That guy was annoying. And that Super Nintendo game where he was the bad guy was really hard.

The Lizard does kick ass, though. What with the being trapped in a robotic suit with a spiked tail of death.
Darkside 03-25-2006 10:57 PM
I actually want to see this movie cause it looks like a good one too me, I'm certainly not expecting it to make me change my outlook on politics or something. But it does look entertaning, take my girlfriend kickback and have a drink, if I like the movie I'll check out the comics and then see what V really is. Of course anythings better than Stay Alive.
Sharpshooter005 03-26-2006 12:10 AM
quote:
Stay Alive

The ring called, it would like its plot back.

Furthermore whatever movie the ring ripped off (theres probably one) is on line two, and it's pretty mad right now.

quote:
"OMFG! NOOOO!!! Japan doesn't rip off of movies, only suck-o-rama america does!!!" I couldn't Resist

In the totalitarian society people keep saying this movie is promising us, can the perpetrators of that rhetoric go up against the wall first?

Because if thats how it worked it would be a utopia.
David Ryder 03-26-2006 01:10 AM
quote:
Furthermore whatever movie the ring ripped off

"OMFG! NOOOO!!! Japan doesn't rip off of movies, only suck-o-rama america does!!!" I couldn't Resist. Tongue

But yeah that stay alive movie looks freakin' stupid.
Darkside 03-26-2006 09:43 AM
I actually said to myself "I wonder if this is what it feels like to be offended as a gamer"
Sharpshooter005 03-26-2006 10:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Darkside
I actually said to myself "I wonder if this is what it feels like to be offended as a gamer"

Question. Sometimes when people watch horror movies, they yell out "DON'T GO IN THERE, HE'S THE BAD GUY!"
'
Is this movie going to have the audience yelling "UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT BABA SELECT START!11!" at the screen?
Jim Starluck 03-26-2006 12:40 PM
I went to this film having never read the comic, only having seen a couple of ads, and pretty much without preconceptions of what it was going to be.

And I loved it.

Hugo Weaving delivers a stunning performance, especially since you never see his face. And if only Natalie Portman could've acted this well in Star Wars... All in all, I found it a very good movie, quite enjoyable to watch, and remarkably thought-provoking for a comic-based thriller.
Xel 03-27-2006 06:49 PM
Well said, Starluck. I enjoyed it a lot as well. There seems to be a pattern being set here, where those of us who haven't read the comics enjoy it, while those who have don't, or have just flat-out refused to see it. That's to be expected, I suppose, but I'd love it if just one day the world could avoid that trope of "oldbie thinks "of course you enjoyed it, you poor uninformed sod" and vehemently refuses to react with anything but righteous indignation and spite."

How can I say this more clearly... well. The Silent Hill movie's gonna come out soon. I believe it's safe to say that of the total PCF population, I'm one of the most, shall we say, hardcore of the SH fans here. Apparently, this means I'm obligated to refuse to see it upon its release because it has no hope of not sucking, or I'm supposed to bitch about how terrible it's going to be, see it, and then redouble my bitching about how terrible it was once I have. Apparently, if I want to call myself a true fan, this is my responsibility.

Yeah, I really don't think so.

I know just as well as anyone how desired it is to have something you love preserved when it makes the transition to film. But you know, even if SH ends up a complete and total failure, I'm still gonna see it. Even if the only thing it has in common with SH is its name, I'm not going to piss my britches in fury. When did it become the role of the fan to equate "different" or "deviant" with "horrible travesty?"

So yeah. I know next to nothing about the V comic. But the fact that I and people in the same position enjoyed the movie as much as we did tells me that it has its own merits as a film-- merits that fans of the comic seem very reluctant to appreciate. This isn't meant as a generalization of every fan by any means, but I have seen reactions of that nature scattered around on the internets in recent weeks.

But being unimpressed with everything makes you look cool. And 1337. So I see the temptation.
Darkside 03-27-2006 07:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Xel
Well said, Starluck. I enjoyed it a lot as well. There seems to be a pattern being set here, where those of us who haven't read the comics enjoy it, while those who have don't, or have just flat-out refused to see it. That's to be expected, I suppose, but I'd love it if just one day the world could avoid that trope of "oldbie thinks "of course you enjoyed it, you poor uninformed sod" and vehemently refuses to react with anything but righteous indignation and spite."

How can I say this more clearly... well. The Silent Hill movie's gonna come out soon. I believe it's safe to say that of the total PCF population, I'm one of the most, shall we say, hardcore of the SH fans here. Apparently, this means I'm obligated to refuse to see it upon its release because it has no hope of not sucking, or I'm supposed to bitch about how terrible it's going to be, see it, and then redouble my bitching about how terrible it was once I have. Apparently, if I want to call myself a true fan, this is my responsibility.

Yeah, I really don't think so.

I know just as well as anyone how desired it is to have something you love preserved when it makes the transition to film. But you know, even if SH ends up a complete and total failure, I'm still gonna see it. Even if the only thing it has in common with SH is its name, I'm not going to piss my britches in fury. When did it become the role of the fan to equate "different" or "deviant" with "horrible travesty?"

So yeah. I know next to nothing about the V comic. But the fact that I and people in the same position enjoyed the movie as much as we did tells me that it has its own merits as a film-- merits that fans of the comic seem very reluctant to appreciate. This isn't meant as a generalization of every fan by any means, but I have seen reactions of that nature scattered around on the internets in recent weeks.

But being unimpressed with everything makes you look cool. And 1337. So I see the temptation.

I'm sure theres a very good discussion point in that vast thing of words there, but the only thing it made me want to do is go dust off my PS1 copy of SH. j/k

I noticed the patter, but if its one thing media has tought us is that the translation of one medium into another medium, that there is usually a substantial loss or gain of awesomeness.
Sharpshooter005 03-27-2006 07:33 PM
quote:
When did it become the role of the fan to equate "different" or "deviant" with "horrible travesty?"

The moment the first servers connected to one another over any measurable distance were activated.

Though I'm pretty sure the "the book/original medium was better" school of thought previously existed, I'm almost sure of it...we just didn't hear about it so quickly and so often.

...I'm dead serious about the whole internet thing. I've become absolutely convinced that the creation of incredibly specialized and self-isolated ideological cliques, based entirely around shared awareness of a specific topic, do this. Because it takes "canon" to a near theological level, to the point where alteration and even the expansion of the awareness of a product seems like a slap in the face to some people.

If you think I'm lying...well..theres examples of this all over the damn place. I mean sure, that sort of thinking existed prior to the internet. The internet just made it easier to access and more widespread.

And the gripes about silent hill are going to be idiotic probably. I'm pretty sure half of it will be "why isn't this a carbon copy, identical to the last detail. Screw atmosphere I demand repetition", or "the movie didn't have the same effect on me as the game, despite how movies and games are two completely different mediums"
Mike 03-27-2006 07:37 PM
Oh, yeah. When Jurassic Park came out, a whole lot of people flipped out, saying the book was far far better. Both were good, and the book was different. And the Lost World novel was completely different.

Different doesn't always necessarily mean crap. Although that is true a good chunk of the time.
The Baker St. Irregular 04-10-2006 10:34 PM
Ahh... The classic heated debate. It's high time I threw in my two cents.

Before I ever saw the movie, I checked here to see what the word was. (I always like to see what the PCFers have to say about new movies.) After instantaneously being blasted backwards by the outrage that had already amassed, I put out the fire on my jeans and started to plot out my plan. I was to see the movie, the apparent lesser of the two works, then go buy the comic book.

But why see the movie first? I have learned from experience that the opinions of a certain story change drastically whether or not you have seen the original work first. Such was the case with me and The Big O. Being without cable, I bought TBO manga, and I loved it. Not much later, I came here to PCF, and found out that the manga was not very well-recieved among those who had seen the anime first. Even so, I went on to see the anime, and now I can say that I fully appreciate both as same yet differing works.

My plan with V for Vendetta was to go and see it first, then read the book afterwards so I would lower the possibility of hating the movie more than I really needed to. That is because regardless of what the diehard comic fans may say about the movie, many movie critics still enjoyed it. So it couldn't be that bad. (Besides, when is a raving nerd's opinion 100% sound, anyway? Tongue )

As it turned out, I loved the movie. There were stars in my eyes and hearts over my head. I loved the story. I loved V. I thought that it made some excellent points, and held quite a bit of relevance to the world today.

Now, I'm no moronic schmuck. I don't go and see movies because they're full of pretty explosions and hot pr0n, or because they've got Mr. or Ms. Attractive-But-Utterly-Talentless-Big-Shot in the starring role. For me, it's about characters, and more importantly, messages. Not even the movie's story is as important to me as its message. Hell, the purpose of a story is to convey a message, right? How can a story be more important than its message?

After the movie, I went to bed. It was after midnight. I woke up later that morning, helped with some housework, stripped my brain of everything I had seen and learned from the movie until all that was left was V himself, and went out to Waldenbooks to buy V for Vendetta. Today, I finished reading the book. So after reading the true work, my final verdict of the movie is...

I still love it.

However, I will admit that the almost-always-true rule of "the book is better than the movie" does apply to this situation. But that's because of several things. One, the book naturally has more in it, has more story, has more dialogue, more character development, ect., ect.. This is true for everything from Lord of the Rings to Harry Potter to Jurrasic Park to Memoirs of a Geisha to anything else you can think of.

Two, the movie, like most movies, was made in such a way to have similiarities to the comic, but also hold some guarantee of profit. Because I'll be blunt. No one except comic fans would have gone to see it if it were entirely like the book. Besides, being anime fans like most of us here are, we should know all too well that shows and movies are meant to make money. Leave the really heavy-handed storytelling to the other mediums.

So the movie V for Vendetta was lacking elements from the comic, and was engineered to appeal to the typical moviegoer, not just rabid geeks. But that doen't mean it was bad. As I've been trying to illustrate, I consciously made an effort to go into the theater without any expectations of any sort. And in doing so, I was able to enjoy it fully and fairly. That's what an artist does; always tries to have a fresh mind, and always tries to take away something from everything she sees. Nerds who are nothing but nerds can't do that for anything, and we all know that very well.

Drat. As it seems, my time is running out for tonight, so I am going to try my best to finish up this long, pretentious rant. Okay.

I love V for Vendetta, and I love V for Vendetta. They both have the same soul. They may look vastly different from each other, but they share the most important thing, and that's the message. Nerds are not the best people to get opinions from, and I am a limp-wristed, lily-white art fag.

There.
Wazpy 04-11-2006 10:10 AM
The problem with the movie I'm complaining about isn't the quality of the film though, but the fact that it's not V for Vendetta. Imagine a Big O movie where everyone remembers the events of 40 years ago and Dorothy is a human. Start with that and keep changing things until the only things that resemble the show are the appearance of the Big O and Roger.

The movie is probably a lot better when you don't have something to compare it to. I really hate saying the book is better... that's the nerdy thing to do.
Nine Kuze 04-11-2006 02:22 PM
quote:
Originally by Mistress-Samwise
Ms. Attractive-But-Utterly-Talentless-Big-Shot in the starring role.

That is the best description of Natalie Portman that I have ever heard.

quote:
The problem with the movie I'm complaining about isn't the quality of the film though, but the fact that it's not V for Vendetta. Imagine a Big O movie where everyone remembers the events of 40 years ago and Dorothy is a human. Start with that and keep changing things until the only things that resemble the show are the appearance of the Big O and Roger.

Holy crap! Is that was the movie is compared to the book?! Screw that then. I'll just wait for it to hit Blockbuster on DVD.

Damn, that's just wrong.
Peace.
Mr. Peabody 04-23-2006 09:35 PM
I just read the graphic novel, and while I enjoyed the movie, I understand why so many VfV fans are upset with the movie.

No book-to-film is ever going to be 100% faithful, but the filmmakers should've had an ending similar to what Alan Moore wrote. Mad
Travis Bickle 04-23-2006 09:52 PM
Natalie Portman was amazing in Garden State. I think that's the only move she was good in.
Sharpshooter005 04-24-2006 04:08 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
Natalie Portman was amazing in Garden State. I think that's the only move she was good in.

Really?

Somehow that movie looks like it would be incredibly annoying to me, but I kind of want to see it since apparently part of it was filmed in Wallington, and I wonder if I could pick up on what scenes those were.
Travis Bickle 04-24-2006 09:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt

Really?

Somehow that movie looks like it would be incredibly annoying to me, but I kind of want to see it since apparently part of it was filmed in Wallington, and I wonder if I could pick up on what scenes those were.

It's one of my favorite more recent movies. It's quite an amazing film.
Mike 04-24-2006 10:18 AM
I knew a girl from Wallington once. She was a bitch.

I saw the first...half hour or so of Garden State. It seemed pretty good, it reminded me of how since high school a bunch of people either crashed and burned or got arrested.

And I agree that Natalie Portman is a lame actress. Especially in Star Wars. Even though the lines sucked, she delivered them in a flat, boring way that made them suck even more.